Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#918651 - 12/09/04 08:48 AM Office Christmas Parties
kenny Offline
7000 Post Club Member

I know you can't call them Christmas Parties anymore.
So sue me.

I used to go to them, about 20 years ago.
I never felt relaxed and comfortable at them.
I don't even make excuses anymore.
I just don't go.
I work at a big company so lots of people don't go.
Besides they charge 30 bucks to bring a guest, even if it is an S.O.

Do you go?
Do you go, but wish you didnít "have to" go?

Piano & Music Acc. / Sheet Music

Sheet Music Plus Homepage
#918652 - 12/09/04 09:18 AM Re: Office Christmas Parties
Nina Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
I used to go to mine, and felt I had to. They were so bad I quit work just to avoid them. (Well, not exactly, but it was a big positive side effect.)

I still have to go to Mr. Nina's parties.

I've always been fairly discrete about my personal vs professional life. Professional friends are just that, and sometimes I feel inclined to invite them over to my personal life. The door doesn't open automatically.

The only positive I can see for the company holiday party is the chance to see someone make a fool out of him/herself. Someone always does.

#918653 - 12/09/04 09:26 AM Re: Office Christmas Parties
Oleander Offline

Loc: Chicagoland, IL, USA
Reminds me of Elaine in "Seinfeld" when she succumbed to the "drunken make-out, an office classic." Of course, that was better than letting her co-workers see her dance again. ;\)

Seems like office parties are a great source of entertainment, and as long as you can stay out of the limelight, they can provide plenty of office gossip for the coming year.

I am glad I am a housewife now. \:\)

#918654 - 12/09/04 10:05 AM Re: Office Christmas Parties
Phlebas Offline

Loc: New York City
I have/had three parties to go to this year.

- The first was division-wide, and was the culmination of a global conference for our division. We basically rented the Hilton for three days. The guest speaker was Bill Clinton.

- The second was yesterday - didn't go, called in sick, was working on the house (don't tell) - and it was my department of about 100. It was at a real nice but trendy SoHo place.

The third, and last, is next week, and another departmental thing with about 50 people. It's at a new place on the West Side. I'll most likely go to that one.

#918655 - 12/09/04 01:23 PM Re: Office Christmas Parties
Jerry Luke Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Tillamook, Oregon
My wife and I don't drink, so we go and have dinner and visit, and then leave at a reasonable hour (like 9:00pm). I always enjoy them.

#918656 - 12/09/04 01:36 PM Re: Office Christmas Parties
Bernard Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Groton, NH
I'm lucky to work for a small company (~35 employees). We hold our Christmas party in the office. This year's party is Saturday night. One of the partners' sister is a lighting designer and she has office space here too. She's turning the corner conference room into a lounge where the bar and comfortable seating will be. The tree and menorah are in the large reception area where most of the food will be laid out. I'm turning the large conference room into a disco with special lighting (including a stardust ball, sound synchronized mushroom light, blue gels over the regular ceiling lights, psychodelics on the projection screen, light wash on rear wall and chasing lights up and down the round support column.) Our systems person is going to manage the music (rock, diso (yeah!), hip-hop, rap, etc.)

We have as much fun preparing and setting up for the party as we have at the party. People bring their families (I'm bringing my new boyfriend this year). It starts at 6:30pm and will go on to all hours...

#918657 - 12/10/04 08:58 AM Re: Office Christmas Parties
Christopher James Quinn Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I never go, much too forced of an "entertainment",

#918658 - 12/10/04 02:14 PM Re: Office Christmas Parties
Cindysphinx Offline

Loc: Washington D.C. Metro
I used to go and make an appearance. Now I grit my teeth and go with dh when he has some function or other. The First Wives Club (that's what we call ourselves) meets in the back after dinner has been served. We narrow our eyes at the Second Wives. We ask the wait staff to bring us the whole bottle of wine. We ask each other in hushed voices whether we've had any *work* done. Once we had a First Wife get all drunk and bitter. That was no fun. She swore a lot.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post...QvjrL_blog.html

#918659 - 12/10/04 03:29 PM Re: Office Christmas Parties
Bernard Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Groton, NH
Well this funny little article just showed up on AP...

Party Advice: Avoid Bare Copier Sitting
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Published: December 10, 2004

Filed at 5:59 p.m. ET

LONDON (AP) -- British workers have been told: Have a merry Christmas -- but skip the mistletoe, don't dance on the desks and definitely don't perch bare-bottomed on the photocopier. Such are the horrors of the modern British office party highlighted Friday in a welter of advice which, to some minds, would kill the fun.

The Trades Union Congress and the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents advised:
Advertisement

-- Nix on candles, flaming puddings and cigarettes.

-- Careful with the Christmas trees, which injured a thousand Britons in December 2002.

-- Skip the mistletoe. A sexual harassment case is no fun.

-- No dancing on the desks.

-- Use paper cups, not glasses.

-- No indoor fireworks.

-- ``Resist the temptation to photocopy parts of your anatomy -- if the copier breaks, you'll be spending Christmas with glass in some painful places.''

Such advice provoked resentment.

``The purpose of Christmas parties is to encourage team spirit, encourage relationships and so on,'' said Nick Goulding, chief executive of The Forum of Private Business.

``If you tie them down with pettifogging regulations, you really undermine the whole thing you are trying to achieve.

``It is like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut,'' Goulding said -- perhaps highlighting a potentially dangerous practice overlooked by the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents.

``We are not being party poopers,'' said the Society's Roger Bibbings. ``Some sensible safety precautions will allow people to have a great office celebration without having to call in the emergency services.''

Two other organizations had different gloomy views of office Christmas parties.

Office Angels, a recruiting firm, said four out of five workers -- in a survey of 1,000 in Manchester, England -- would like to have time off in December to shop or participate in children's' events, rather than go to a party.

OfficeTeam, another recruiter, reported a survey of 2,400 which found that one in three workers dreaded the parties, and one in five feared they might damage their careers by getting drunk and misbehaving.

#918660 - 12/10/04 04:03 PM Re: Office Christmas Parties
BeeLady Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Massachusetts
We go to Mr. BeeLady's parties.. They have been widely variable. One I remember was at Beverly Hills Hilton for 500+...never saw so many glittery dresses! We did miss one here in Boston as it was the very night we arrived off the plane "re-relocating" back to Mass.

Now we are in our "startup" phase...The employee count is 7 so, CEO usually hires a caterer and has everyone over to his house for food, drink and Yankee swap. Great for us as it's in the same small town in which we live.

To tell the truth, the best is the one held at my preschool.. The kids are wide eyed and excited and then the "fat guy" comes to hand out gifts..We are home by 7!

Life is like a roll of toilet paper...the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes!

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
U.S. Treasury Auctioning Steinway Art Case Concert Grand
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
71 registered (bennevis, 36251, AndrewJCW, angga888, beeboss, 20 invisible), 1237 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75487 Members
42 Forums
156081 Topics
2292029 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Is it worth upgrading to a 7200 RPM hard disk?
by CarloPiano
Today at 05:04 AM
Another Improvisation
by Polyphonist
Today at 02:55 AM
4/4 measure in 3/4 time?
by caters
Today at 01:10 AM
Mac mini for software pianos?
by Mta88
Today at 01:10 AM
Installed an LX system on my Baldwin C
by SpectrumMan
Today at 12:04 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission