Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#919764 - 01/31/07 01:08 AM When I'm not playing the piano, I'm driving my Trainz.
John Citron Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Haverhill, Massachusetts
Here are some pictures of a hobby I have that is completely remote and opposite of music. This is a virtual railroad simulator called Trainz Railroad (Railway in the UK and elsewhere) Simulator 2006. The program is sold by Auran PLC from Queensland Australia. This is the latest in their Trainz series, and I started about 3 years ago with TRS2004.

This is one of those very addicting programs that will eat up most, if not all, of your free time if you don't watch out. There are stories, and rumors of how this program (not a game!) was the cause of many a domestic squabble because the husband was not doing the house chores. Instead he was playing with his Trainz instead of mowing the lawn, etc. I can see how this can be true because I've caught myself using Trainz for a whole day!

My route, as it is called, is now nearly 87 miles long and counting, and is totally fake. The town names are real, but their places and locations are not. I picked a New England theme, coming from New England, and I looked at maps and town names for inspiration. The pictures are all actual screenshots taken during the game-play.

Here are some views of the Enfield & Eastern starting at the new Eastport passenger terminal. The train we will be following has actually left the terminal. Waiting to leave are some Amtrak trains for Maine and Loblolly Cove, and some DLRs imported from Europe. These are some imports that my railroad management team has tried out on the more scenic short routes because these cars have big picture windows that are popular with the tourists.

Here we are crossing the bridge from Eastport to Radford Jct. At Radford Jct., there is a connection with the Riverline to the left. That line also passes under the terminal branch in a tunnel just about where the engine is now. The inter-line connection is about 2 miles away behind us to the left. The main line to Enfield is to the center, and the Northern Extension to the right. There is a double-wye with a diamond in the middle where the gold-colored engine house is located, and this allows the terminal to serve all directions, and for River Line trains to continue on the Northern main.

After driving a short distance through a wooded area, we come to the first of many towns along the route. This is Radford with its pictureseque little downtown.

Rounding the bend after Radford just before we hit the second bridge over the River Line. This is a typical "T" consist from the late 1980's through the early 1990s.

Crossing the bridge.

Riding with Eric the AI driver.

Here's Geoff heading back to Eastport.

There are a lot more pictures. This is just a sampling of what my route looks like.

For more information on Trainz 2006, check out www.auran.com

John

Piano & Music Acc. / Sheet Music

Sheet Music Plus Homepage
#919765 - 01/31/07 10:54 PM Re: When I'm not playing the piano, I'm driving my Trainz.
Jeanne W Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New England
Hi, John:

I'm not into video games but can understand how those can be VERY addictive. The pix you posted scare me. Man. A person could just disappear into a virtual reality.

This reminds me of a little experiment I tried one day. In an area of the road I drive along on my way to work, where it's not too pleasant looking, I decided to try imagining the roadway lined with tall, beautiful trees and beautiful buildings.

I have to say the experiment was successful, but it scared the hell out of me. It seemed too real, for cripe's sake! I could see how a person could get wrapped up in an imaginary world. EEEEEEEEEK! I will not be trying that experiment again anytime soon.

The Trainz program looks VERY COOL. Just don't get too wrapped up into it, OK??? Remember to come up for air - and often.

\:D

Jeanne W

1920 Steinway A3
My Piano Delivery Thread:
http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/1/8776.html#000000

#919766 - 02/02/07 05:35 PM Re: When I'm not playing the piano, I'm driving my Trainz.
John Citron Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Haverhill, Massachusetts
Hi Jeanne,

I know your experiment works because I do that all the time to reimagineer an abandoned rail route, or put tracks where a road is now. I do this because I am trying to emulate the area, but I want tracks and a passenger station and not a highway with a MacDonalds next to it. \:\) Don't get scared... It's a way of making some really aweful looking areas better.

Trainz is, as I said, really addicting. There are two main modules in the program that allow you to make your own virtual world, and enjoy it.

Surveyor is the landscape building module where you lay the tracks, put the roads in, and sculpt the landscape. There are almost 100,000 objects available for the program with many included with the installation CDs or DVDs. The other parts are available for download from their FTP site, with an increasing amount of objects every day that are made for free by other Trainz fans. There is a whole "school" into making 3D-objects, and the ones I've made pale against those of these experts.

Driver lets you drive your route. This can be both frustrating and enjoyable. The frustration comes from trying to get the AI drivers to follow your commands. This is where you find out if your junctions work properly, and if there are other scenic bugs like crooked track, floating roads, and other things that need tweaking. The enjoyable part comes from seeing your world from a driver's seat.

With all of the virtues, comes a price to pay. This isn't monetary, because the program costs about $20 for the CDs and $10 a year for fast FTP connection. The cost is in time and computer power. The Windows-based (soon to be Macintosh too) computer required is pretty high. The problem with Surveyor is you can put as many objects as you wish into a scene. You won't see much of a difference in Surveyor other than a bit of chunky movement. When you go into driver, well you can end up with a slide show instead of a movie because the computer spends most of the time trying to render the 3D images in real-time!

Anyway, I try my best not to let this consume too much of my time otherwise I won't be able to practice the piano. ;\)

John

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
67 registered (AndrewJCW, 36251, Baudelaire, barmassimo, a-z0-9, 15 invisible), 1135 Guests and 25 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75569 Members
42 Forums
156245 Topics
2294642 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Gustav Lutz?
by MartaG
07/29/14 06:37 AM
Can anyone help me identify Bach's music in this soundtrack?
by WellTemperedPizza
07/29/14 05:30 AM
Will a Damp-Chaser fill in the cracks in a sound-board?
by Paul678
07/29/14 12:36 AM
The Mason & Hamlin Tension Resonator: Help or Hype???
by Paul678
07/29/14 12:06 AM
What piano do i have?
by allana
07/28/14 11:43 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission