2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, crab89, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 12 invisible), 2,045 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#919823 03/04/05 05:44 AM
A
AndrewG Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
From AZCentral.com:
========================================================

ASU blind pianist among nation's top undergrads

William Hermann
The Arizona Republic
Mar. 3, 2005 12:00 AM

For Scott MacIntyre, it seems, anything is possible.

The 19-year-old Arizona State University student has been blind since birth, but his list of accomplishments makes one understand why he says "most of us have gifts we never use. Once we understand that, we can do almost whatever we want no matter what our challenges."

MacIntyre is a senior in piano performance in the Herberger College of Fine Arts. He is a talented classical pianist who entered ASU at 14 and made his orchestral debut the following year, performing as guest soloist with the Phoenix Symphony.

He has performed in hundreds of charity concerts all over North America, appearing for the Braille Institute, Ronald McDonald Charities, the Mayo Clinic and the Canadian National Institute for the Blind.

MacIntyre writes music for television productions, teaches ballroom dancing, skis with a sighted guide and gives motivational speeches.

He began playing piano at 3, but also knew only too well that he had a disability.

"It would be possible (with a disability) to grow up with bitter feelings that would be hard to reverse," MacIntyre said. "And I've had to deal with rejection, because people have preconceived notions. And beginning ASU at age 14 was awkward."

MacIntyre says he is grateful for how well ASU administrators and teachers "looked out for me, took care of me, encouraged me."

One of those administrators was Janet Burke, associate dean for National Scholarship Advisement at the Barrett Honors College.

"Scott is just an extraordinary person," Burke said. "He has tremendous drive, tremendous ambition, but he is also the nicest person you'll ever want to meet.

"He is not arrogant. He knows who he is and is very, very kind. He's interested in other people. In fact, he's interested in everything."

MacIntyre says he also owes much to "an incredibly supportive family; always encouraging me, always helping me know I can go as far as I want to go."

The encouragement from family and ASU administrators and faculty has paid off.

USA Today recently named MacIntyre to its annual list of the top 20 undergraduates in the United States.

School spokeswoman Sarah Auffret said 10 ASU students have earned USA Today first-team honors over the years, and another six have been named to the second team. First-team winners, chosen from more than 600 top students nominated from their schools, receive a $2,500 award.

Auffret said, "The national recognition is especially meaningful because a panel of judges considers not only grades, leadership and activities but, most of all, how students extend their intellectual talents beyond the classroom."

MacIntyre also won a Marshall Scholarship from the British Government.

Burke said that 40 Marshalls are given annually. They allow U.S. students to study for two years in Great Britain and are worth about $60,000, she said.

MacIntyre is taking full advantage of his Marshall Scholarship and plans to take a master's degree at Cambridge University in England next year and another master's from London's Royal College of Music the following year.

Those who would like to hear MacIntyre play the piano can go to his senior recital at 7:30 p.m. April 9 in ASU's Katzin Concert Hall. Also, he is featured in a concert at Gammage Auditorium at 7:30 p.m. April 26, as the winner of the ASU Concert of Soloists competition. He will appear with the ASU Chamber Orchestra.

To keep up with MacIntyre's career go to www.scott macintyre.com.

=========================================================

#919824 12/21/07 01:17 PM
L
L
That's pretty awesome. I think playing the piano blind would be really hard, but doable. I play with my eyes closed all the time!

I'm not saying that's nearly the right caliber, but I'm sure it's possible.

"For many years, I was a tator farmer, but the painful truth is, the TATORS FARMED ME!"
#919825 12/23/07 12:08 AM
Thanks for the info on him. It is incredible to me but enough practice and of course giftings, anything is possible. I have seen a blind pianist a few times named Gordon Mote, he's in his 40's and an amazing pianist, mostly southern gospel type. Another is new age pianist Kevin Kern, considered legally blind (I guess he can see a little) he is fabulous. Again thanks for the info on Scott.

Stop buying things you can't afford....unless of course it's a piano.
#919826 12/23/07 06:44 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Another blind pianist that comes to mind is Tamar Shalvashvili. She played in a concert in Germany a while back. Here is the url to her performance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOgcmiStwQA

- Mark

...The ultimate joy in music is the joy of playing the piano...
hotkeys #1158778 03/06/09 10:33 PM
He's made it to the top 13 on American Idol. I'm rooting for him.

somewhere in the Southwest

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission