Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#919908 - 09/04/06 01:06 PM piano for people with special needs
CindyB - Musicmaker Offline

Loc: south central IL

#919909 - 12/19/07 10:31 PM Re: piano for people with special needs
hotkeys Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Massapequa, NY
Wonderful article. Offers everyone hope and encouragement.

- Mark

#919910 - 01/14/08 02:37 AM Re: piano for people with special needs
Late Beginner Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: West Australia
Hi,

Thanks for the link. This seemed very timely as my first job this week was to look for some kind of music based program for use with my disabled son. \:\)

However, I couldn't help feel some reservations about the article. The woman who was enthusing about how good it would be for her Down syndrome son obviously hadn't actually tried it with him. Like many enthusiastic reviews of products it all seemed very short on facts or concrete examples about the course. Even the Simply Music website gave almost no useful detail that I could find, just a lot of sales puff.

Perhaps I'm a little over-sensitive on the issue. But after 15 years working with disability (and my wife's many years of experience working for our Disablity Services Commission) we've learned to be cautious (distrustful even) about the use of disabilities to introduce a 'feel-good factor' into a product review. It was great to hear that it worked with the blind boy, but there are large numbers of well known blind musicians (Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder spring immediately to mind with piano) but also many singers and instrumentalists across the board, including numerous old bluesmen. There's even a sort of popular idea (myth?) that blind people often gravitate towards musicianship because they have greater aural sensitivity. So there's nothing new about blind or otherwise disabled people being able to learn music. I've also seen many varieties on the theme of 'music as therapy'.

But that doesn't mean it's not good either - it might be fantastic. So I asked at the local music shop. It turned out that two of the owner's extended family had tried the course, as had one or two customers. So I asked him about it. His report wasn't that encouraging. Here were some of his points:

• 1. It's a franchise arrangement. The teachers do not have to be trained music teachers at any particular standard (although many presumably are fine in that regard). The main requirement is that they pay $2000 for the training and starter materials, follow the course and pay a further $2 fee for each student lesson they charge for.

2. His daughter (who is a bright student in other areas) felt that it was restrictive in that they would only use the course material and she couldn't get the teacher to show her any of the tunes she wanted to choose for herself. Surprisingly, she also felt that it was slow and that the quick and easy results were exaggerated (although she may have felt that about any course).

3. They had to commit to buying a fair bit of material and teaching. This is probably true of other methods too, but they may have preferred something they could try out first more cheaply?

4. One person reported that his teacher did not appear to know how to play the piano herself, but had just done what was needed to obtain the licence to present the course material.

Now, that does sound fairly off-putting, but given the drop-out rate from just about any non-compulsory course of study I feel that I shouldn't write it off on the basis of a couple of rather disappointed customers.

So does anybody else have any positive or direct experience of the Simply Music courses or methods please? There is apparently a teacher only ten minutes drive from here so it may still be worth a shot. Or I could buy a DVD and give teaching him a try myself.

There several other methods of teaching without using traditional musical notation (such as use of colour codes, white boards, numbers etc) and I have already successfully taught my son to play a number of simple tunes. I just like the idea of getting an outside teacher involved - but only IF I can find the right one.

Any opinions please?

Thanks,

Chris

What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
160 registered (A Guy, Almaviva, 36251, accordeur, 53 invisible), 1706 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74248 Members
42 Forums
153586 Topics
2250895 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Etude in G
by Polyphonist
04/19/14 03:58 PM
A Piano Song With Notes In It
by Ritzycat
04/19/14 03:51 PM
Playing the piano again
by Mr.Wolf
04/19/14 03:47 PM
27/16 time signature!
by Polyphonist
04/19/14 03:46 PM
Three great pianists/teachers celebrate the same birthday!
by music32
04/19/14 03:41 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission