Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 7 of 10 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
#920977 - 09/19/03 10:09 AM Re: new york city in october
Phlebas Offline

Loc: New York City
 Quote:
Originally posted by irving:
[QUOTE]

The last I heard about this, your visit to Faust Harrison was going to be at 3 PM, but this no longer seems possible. If you want to change the time to 3:30, that's fine with us. But please confirm - either by phone or right here. I look forward to meeting you.

Irving [/b]
Irving,

Thank you (belatedly) for the welcome. I look forward to visiting Faust Harrison on the 18th.

You're correct. We are confirmed for 3:00 on the 18th.

cheers.

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
#920978 - 09/19/03 10:25 AM Re: new york city in october
piqué Offline
5000 Post Club Member

we were planning on excluding piano piano before that first post by bvh ever happened. two of us who are on the piano crawl have had bad experiences with them. i was boycotting them long before anything happened on this forum. if you look back to earlier posts, you'll see that, and also that i said if others wished to go there, i have no objection but i won't be joining you.

irving, the appointments with you and beethoven's were evidently made before we added a&c pianocraft to the itinerary. since they are several blocks away, and i hear they have a lot of interesting, nice pianos to look at, we may want to take our full hour there. if so, we may be late to beethoven's by ten minutes or so, and hence, a bit late to our 3 pm date with you.

but if you can be a bit flexible with us on our exact time of arrival, i think we can leave the schedule as it is. if that will cause any inconvenience, then perhaps we should make it 3:30 to be certain we'll be on time.

would people now list their first picks for restaurants? phlebas, since you are so familiar with the gastronomic possibilities of the neighborhood, perhaps we should give greater weight to your recommendation?

my personal requirements as to a restaurant:
good food
friendly service
peaceful, pleasant atmosphere
can take a reservation and seat a large group together
cheaply or moderately priced

i don't think my requirements are too demanding as i know lots of restaurants in that neighborhood meet them. thai, chinese, italian, indian, ethiopian, cuban... makes little difference to me, the cuisine.

oh, i just remembered another favorite restaurant of mine that again, i don't remember the name of. it is japanese, on either 56th or 55th street, in the middle of the block between 8th and 9th aves, on the south side of the street and upstairs. they have a japanese "room" on a raised platform in front of the windows where you sit on mats at a low table. a very intimate, friendly space, good for parties, and great food.

again, i don't know if it is still there.

now in paperback:

Grand Obsession: A Piano Odyssey

#920979 - 09/19/03 10:38 AM Re: new york city in october
piqué Offline
5000 Post Club Member

irving,
the friday night concert sounds absolutely wonderful and i am looking forward to it.

do i need to call the showroom to make a reservation or can i do it right here? i would be bringing a friend, so there are two of us.

thank you so much for your gracious welcome and making this concert available to us.

now in paperback:

#920980 - 09/19/03 11:42 AM Re: new york city in october
Phlebas Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by piqu:

would people now list their first picks for restaurants? phlebas, since you are so familiar with the gastronomic possibilities of the neighborhood, perhaps we should give greater weight to your recommendation?

[/b]
Hey, leave my weight out of it! ;\)

Actually, these days I rarely dine in that neighborhood.
My vote would be for Bella's, because I'm afraid that someone joining us might not be thrilled about a specific ethnic alternative. If I'm wrong, and everyone likes Indian or Thai, that's fine with me too.
Let's decide and get a reservation.

#920981 - 09/19/03 12:40 PM Re: new york city in october
piqué Offline
5000 Post Club Member

i'm a second vote for bella's. i love thai food and wouldn't ordinarily pass up any opportunity to have it (no good thai food where i live), but bella's has a wonderful ambience, great service, very good food reasonably priced (for nyc), they serve wine, they take reservations.... and it is conveniently located. and phlebas' point is well taken, that if anyone has trouble with spicy food or strange cuisines, they won't have a problem finding something to eat at bella's.

just in case any of the above has changed since i was last there, if anyone is in the neighborhood in the near future, why not check out bella's (northwest corner of 56th and 9th) and report back here on your observations?

now in paperback:

#920982 - 09/19/03 02:27 PM Re: new york city in october
RealPlayer Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: NYC
Thanks, Pique, et al. for re-stating the schedule of piano store visits.

I'm pretty happy with whatever restaurant everyone wants to go to. By mentioning all those restaurants, I didn't want to make things difficult. Pique, is the Thai place you're referring to the one that was mentioned earlier -- Bangkok Cuisine? That's on 8th/53rd, not 56th though. It seems to be widely recommended.

www.josephkubera.com

#920983 - 09/19/03 05:49 PM Re: new york city in october
2000 Post Club Member

Although I just said I'd be happy with the group consensus on a type of restaurant, and that's true, I do want to state a preference for Thai -- Italian is wonderful; just so ubiquitous. ;\)

www.josephkubera.com

#920984 - 09/19/03 08:33 PM Re: new york city in october
piqué Offline
5000 Post Club Member

well, is there anyone who doesn't like thai? i love thai food, too. and the name bangkok cuisine does ring a bell. is it on eighth avenue in the 50s? that's all i remember about the place i've been to.

does it have a nice dining room and a liquor license? (of course i guess we can always bring our own wine if it doesn't). what i would like to avoid is one of those tiny places that have pinheads for tables. it would be awkward to seat a large group in that kind of place.

if it is the place i remember, it was a very nice space to socialize in.

has anyone been there recently? will any of you be in the neighborhood in the near future and could perhaps check it out?

now in paperback:

#920985 - 09/19/03 10:38 PM Re: new york city in october
2000 Post Club Member

Pique,

I don't get up to that neighborhood often, but I'll ask my friend about noise there and the size of the place (Bangkok Cuisine). I can call the restaurant directly to see if they take reservations and have a liquor license.

www.josephkubera.com

#920986 - 09/20/03 01:03 AM Re: new york city in october
piqué Offline
5000 Post Club Member

thanks, realplayer!

now in paperback:

#920987 - 09/20/03 12:54 PM Re: new york city in october
Rich D. Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Rehoboth Beach De. USA
Love Thai food here....hey do they have drunken noodles on the menu? \:D

"Life is like a piano....what you get out of it depends on how you play it"
Anonymous

#920988 - 09/20/03 03:12 PM Re: new york city in october
2000 Post Club Member

Info on Bangkok Thai from my friend:

>1) Are they large enough to accommodate a group of 20? Is the dining room comfortable?

Dining room medium-large and comfortable, by NY Thai standards. They probably can do 20.

>2) Is the place noisy such that it's difficult to hear yourself or friends?

No.

>3) Do you recall if they serve liquor?

Yes. Singha, and hard likker too.

>4) Do they take reservations?

I think so.

You should just stop by when coming uptown and give it a visual. It is bigger than many Thai places. There are 2 other largish Thai restaurants on 8th Ave that you could look at too.

www.josephkubera.com

#920989 - 09/21/03 01:10 AM Re: new york city in october
Piano World Offline

Loc: Parsonsfield, ME (orig. Nahant...
I'm thinking it's time I put in an appearance at a Piano World Forums meeting.
But... now that this thread is on it's 6th page, I'm not sure what the agenda is.

If I come to NY the 17th, who am I meeting, where (I usually stay at the Renaissance in Times Square)?
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
Facebook.com/PianoWorldDotCom
Twitter.com/PianoWorld
www.youtube.com/PianoWorldDotCom
Estonia L-190, Yamaha P-80, Hammond XK-3, Hammond A-100, Estey 1895 Pump Organ
-------------------------
It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!
And please invite everyone you know to join our piano forums!
Coming to Maine? We're in Parsonsfield (southwest) let's get together!

#920990 - 09/21/03 02:00 AM Re: new york city in october
piqué Offline
5000 Post Club Member

i don't blame you for wanting to be spared reading the whole thread.

if you come into town on the 17th, you can join a few of us who are planning to attend a concert at faust-harrison that evening.

dr. laul, the owner of estonia, will be giving a lecture concert and there will be other performers on various pianos, including eubie blake.

then, on the 18th, at 1 pm, we are all meeting at a&c pianocraft (not sure of the address--anyone?). from there we move on to beethoven pianos, faust harrison, and klavier haus, all on west 58th street. we have appointments with each dealer, about an hour apart.

at around 5:30 or 6, we're headed off to dinner at a highly recommended thai restaurant in the neighborhood. (at least, that seems where people are leaning--we haven't had any thai detractors so far).

it is still to be determined if we are going to also go to the beaux arts trio concert that evening at the met museum of art.

please put your preferences in to the mix, frank, so they can be taken into account. thai or no? concert? or hang out longer at piano dealers and linger over dinner?

now in paperback:

#920991 - 09/21/03 09:09 AM Re: new york city in october
Phlebas Offline

In case I did not mention this before, and just for the record, I like Thai, and most other ethnic foods.

As an aside, S&S was having a sale yesterday that I went to. Played some lovely Steinways - and actually a very nice Essex grand that sounded nice and bright and had a wonderful action (who knew?).

As a comparison, I went over to Beethoven's and Faust Harrison to try some others. I want to get a grand, and my wide says we don't have room (I'm just starting to win that argument). The two pianos that really stood out were 1) M&H 52" vertical (sorry, too lazy to look up model numbers), and the Estonia 6'2", which to me sounded and felt better that the S&S equivalent at less than half the price. (Pique, is that the one you have?)

#920992 - 09/21/03 01:00 PM Re: new york city in october
piqué Offline
5000 Post Club Member

i have a 6'4" grotrian-steinweg i bought from beethoven pianos. did you see any grotrians there? i spoke to carl (beethoven's owner) yesterday and he says he has three being shipped to him directly from the factory in germany that should be in his showroom and prepped by october 18th.

he was apparently unaware of our visit. perhaps whoever made our appointment with beethoven's spoke to someone other than carl? anyway, i told him we'd be there around 2 pm on the 18th and who we are and he's very glad to have us.

now in paperback:

#920993 - 09/21/03 03:07 PM Re: new york city in october
Phlebas Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Phlebas:
Beethoven's is taken care of.
I talked to Chris Pfund at Beethoven Pianos, and he said they would love to have us on the 18th at any of the remaining time slots - 1, 2, or 3:30. They are open until 7:30 on Sat.

Also, Chris indicated that they will start selling Grotrians, and should have a few in by the 18th. [/b]
Pique,

This is my post form a while back. I shoudl probably confirm, then. I saw one fairly old Grotrian Steinweg. Didn't do anything for me - probably because it was fairly small - and it was pretty expensive.

#920994 - 09/21/03 04:28 PM Re: new york city in october
Piano World Offline

Loc: Parsonsfield, ME (orig. Nahant...
 Quote:
Originally posted by piqu:
i don't blame you for wanting to be spared reading the whole thread.

if you come into town on the 17th, you can join a few of us who are planning to attend a concert at faust-harrison that evening.

dr. laul, the owner of estonia, will be giving a lecture concert and there will be other performers on various pianos, including eubie blake.

then, on the 18th, at 1 pm, we are all meeting at a&c pianocraft (not sure of the address--anyone?). from there we move on to beethoven pianos, faust harrison, and klavier haus, all on west 58th street. we have appointments with each dealer, about an hour apart.

at around 5:30 or 6, we're headed off to dinner at a highly recommended thai restaurant in the neighborhood. (at least, that seems where people are leaning--we haven't had any thai detractors so far).

it is still to be determined if we are going to also go to the beaux arts trio concert that evening at the met museum of art.

please put your preferences in to the mix, frank, so they can be taken into account. thai or no? concert? or hang out longer at piano dealers and linger over dinner? [/b]
I've never tried thai, but I'm game. I'll eat almost anything, about the only exceptions are raw fish and really spicey food.

I'll probably pass on the concert Sat., I'd rather go someplace we could sit around sipping cocktails and listening to a good jazz pianist, but that's just me.

I'm not 100% sure I can make it, but I'm sure going to try. BTW, I plan on brining a digital camera, I hope others will too. We need pictures!
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
Facebook.com/PianoWorldDotCom
Twitter.com/PianoWorld
www.youtube.com/PianoWorldDotCom
Estonia L-190, Yamaha P-80, Hammond XK-3, Hammond A-100, Estey 1895 Pump Organ
-------------------------
It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!
And please invite everyone you know to join our piano forums!
Coming to Maine? We're in Parsonsfield (southwest) let's get together!

#920995 - 09/21/03 10:22 PM Re: new york city in october
Bernard Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Groton, NH
I could live on Thai food so you can count me in for Thai.

Frank, any good Thai restaurant will allow you to specify mild, medium or hot.

#920996 - 09/21/03 10:30 PM Re: new york city in october
Ed Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Pensacola, FL
I apologize if this has already been asked and answered, but where would there be "reasonable" accommodations for the nights of the 17th/18th, price and location convenient to Faust-Harrison and the piano crawl?

Mulling it over...

#920997 - 09/21/03 10:51 PM Re: new york city in october
piqué Offline
5000 Post Club Member

there is actually a howard johnson's on 57th between 9th and 10th (or used to be). it is reasonable, but not beautiful.

irving, what is the name of the hotel that is on the north side of 58th right in your block? i can't find the brochure i saved from it. it looked nice. do you know if it is?

frank, thai can be very spicy, but at most thai restaurants you can ask them to make it mild, or order something that isn't spicy. many of the dishes are made with a red, yellow, or green curry sauce, and i imagine you could ask them to not use the sauce.

now in paperback:

#920998 - 09/22/03 01:32 PM Re: new york city in october
Linda in PA Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: PA - USA
Hi, Everyone:

If A&C is more than a block or two from Beethoven's, Faust Harrison, and Klavierhaus, then I'll skip A&C and just meet up with everyone at Beethoven's.

As far as restaurants, I'm fine with either Italian or Thai. My limitations involve proximity and accessability. I am unable to walk very far or to climb stairs. Not familiar with the city - are any of the candidate restaurants close to the dealers?

Does anyone have info on ticket prices for Beaux Art Trio?

Thanks . . . Linda

#920999 - 09/22/03 03:40 PM Re: new york city in october
Phlebas Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Linda in PA:
Hi, Everyone:

If A&C is more than a block or two from Beethoven's, Faust Harrison, and Klavierhaus, then I'll skip A&C and just meet up with everyone at Beethoven's.

As far as restaurants, I'm fine with either Italian or Thai. My limitations involve proximity and accessability. I am unable to walk very far or to climb stairs. Not familiar with the city - are any of the candidate restaurants close to the dealers?

Does anyone have info on ticket prices for Beaux Art Trio?

Thanks . . . Linda [/b]
Linda, I would hate to have you miss out on A&C. If you want, I'll cab with you from there to Beethoven's.

Speaking of Beethoven's, I just got off the phone with Chris there and confirmed 2:00 on the 18th.
He is not sure he will have any Grotrians that day. They had two, but he said they were sold already.

#921000 - 09/22/03 07:44 PM Re: new york city in october
Linda in PA Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: PA - USA
 Quote:
Linda, I would hate to have you miss out on A&C. If you want, I'll cab with you from there to Beethoven's. [/b]
Phlebas, that is very kind of you - I will take you up on the offer. I have not been to A&C, so it would be nice to visit. Thank you! [/b]

Quote:
...He is not sure he will have any Grotrians that day. They had two, but he said they were sold already. [/b]
WOW - Bad for us, but good for Beethoven's! Perhaps Chris can share information about PianoWorld and our upcoming visit with the new owners. Maybe one of the new Grotrian owners would even be willing to postpone delivery until after our soire? Nah, who am I kidding. Still, it's nice to see a dealer get off to a good start with a new line.

#921001 - 09/22/03 11:08 PM Re: new york city in october
piqué Offline
5000 Post Club Member

the owner of beethoven's told me there is a fresh shipment of three new grotrians leaving germany this week, and he thinks it is very likely they'll be in the store by the time of our visit.

now in paperback:

#921002 - 09/23/03 07:11 PM Re: new york city in october
TomK Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Quote:
there is actually a howard johnson's on 57th between 9th and 10th (or used to be). it is reasonable, but not beautiful.[/b]
It's a "used to be." It's now some sort of fancy "Italian Grille." (Actually, it was on 8th a bit lower down, near Times Square. Unless you are talking about someplace completely different.)

You gotta go to Waterbury, CT if you want fried clams. (They have a real hottie cashier!)

#921003 - 09/23/03 08:08 PM Re: new york city in october
Ed Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Pensacola, FL
 Quote:
Originally posted by TomK:
[QUOTE] ... (They have a real hottie cashier!) [/b]
OK, forget the piano crawl. I'm bypassing NYC for CT!

#921004 - 09/23/03 09:29 PM Re: new york city in october
Bernard Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Groton, NH
Oh, no! Stop in for the piano crawl. I posted a link earlier for a web site with some ideas: Best Hotel Bets

Also, this site has some ideas (The Pickwick Arms, Bently, and Inter-Continental Barclay are not too far from where the crawl will happen): Favorite Hotels (Anything on the link "Midtown West" over on the left will be pretty close to the crawl too.

#921005 - 09/23/03 10:04 PM Re: new york city in october
Palindrome Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago, IL USA
I come to NYC every November & have stayed at the Bentley for the past two years. It's quite restful.

#921006 - 09/23/03 10:15 PM Re: new york city in october
piqué Offline
5000 Post Club Member

this isn't a restaurant, tom, it's a hotel.

maybe it's a day's inn? it's on the south side of 57th between 9th and tenth. i'm not recommending it, but it is close, and reasonably priced for new york.

now in paperback:

Page 7 of 10 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
A REALLY Indirect Blow Action
by Steve Cohen
Today at 09:01 AM
Bone chilling ending to pieces
by lacrymosa85
Today at 08:44 AM
help with finger numbers in this piece...
by PianoKimmy
Today at 05:35 AM
Most Difficult?
by SiFi
Today at 01:21 AM
What is most common size wire to break?
by Ed McMorrow, RPT
Today at 12:19 AM
Who's Online
121 registered (accordeur, ajames, Al LaPorte, 3times2, 39 invisible), 1277 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76237 Members
42 Forums
157600 Topics
2314938 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission