Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 9 of 10 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
#921037 - 10/08/03 03:11 PM Re: new york city in october
Phlebas Offline

Loc: New York City
 Quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
i think it would be nice if we had at least a full hour at each store, and since the first store is not near the others, it would be nice to have a little more wiggle room on time.

here is a proposal:

1 pm a&c pianocraft

2:30 beethoven's

3:30 faust harrison

4:30 klavier haus

i don't know how late klavier haus is open, but i understand they have some incredible pianos, including some hamburg steinways.

if 4:30 is too late for them, perhaps we could switch their time with beethoven's, as beethoven's is open late. and then we wouldn't be rushed at the end.

then it would be:

1 pm a&c
2:30 klavier haus
3:30 faust harrison
4:30 beethoven's

[/b]
Pique,

I don't think it is necessary to switch Beethoven's with Klavier Haus because when I talked to KH they said 4 or 4:30 to 5:30 was fine. My impression is we won't be rushed out the door at any of the dealers we talked to (of course, I only talked to Beethoven, and KH, so I am basing this on their welcoming attitude towards us).

Does that make sense, or am I being too cavalier?

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
#921038 - 10/08/03 06:41 PM Re: new york city in october
piqué Offline
5000 Post Club Member

it sounded like irving faust wanted to know if it was going to be 3 or 3:30, so i think he's the only one that probably cares if we are arriving at a particular time. i'm sure beethoven's won't be looking at their watch, and if klavier haus is open long enough for us to get in at least a full hour there, then i guess we don't have to call them.

but, it wouldn't hurt to make sure we won't be cutting ourselves short at KH, i would think. especially if we are running late. they've been closed every time i've been to nyc the last few years, so i don't want to miss them this time.

now in paperback:

Grand Obsession: A Piano Odyssey

#921039 - 10/09/03 11:37 AM Re: new york city in october
RKVS1 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Topeka, Kansas
Better late than never, I guess. I've decided to make the trek from Topeka to NYC to join the piano crawlers.

I was able to move some meetings etc. around to free up Thursday and Friday and I plan to fly into Philadelphia to see some friends and then go on into NYC Friday and pester at least the Fazioli people.

Anybody know of any decent piano stores in Phily? Just kidding, I hope to be able to drop in at Cunninghams on (probably) Thursday afternoon or Friday morning.
I'm just hoping Mcllhenny will give Rich a little time to show me around.

I guess I'm looking for a little advice here both about transport from Philadelphia to NYC and other piano dealers in the area.

Altenburgs in Elizabeth NJ is one I might like to see also and if I came in from Phily Friday morning, I suspect I could stop there on the way to NYC. but I'm not sure which agency to contact to find out the nittier details of which stop to use. (I'm assuming there are plenty of trains from Phily to NYC)

I think someone mentioned that the Fazioli dealership is in or very near the building that houses the Bosie folks, somewhere on the east side, but I need to find out if a person does indeed need an appointment to see the Fazioli showroom. Does anyone know if that is true?
Maybe I'm way off there. Maximillinas at 32 & Lex has the Bosies and the art cases, but checking my raggedy notes didn't come up with a mention of Fazioli. They are there SOMEWHERE, aren't they? At Klavierhouse, maybe?

I spent a week in the city with my two sons in September 1999, so I'm halfway familiar with the general layout, but I'm not sure which other stores would be best to visit. Is Steinway Hall a not-to-be missed dealership, or will we see plenty of them in the official crawl? I'll probably go to ForteForte to see what all the fussfuss was about. I just won't take my PianoWorld mug inside :p

Suggestions for other dealers not on the crawl that I haven't mentioned? Brands I have never even SEEN include Fazioli, Grotrian, Bluthner, (and only a couple of Schulze Pollmanns). \:\(

I assume the concert at Faust Harrison 7pm Friday is still scheduled. I haven't been to their website to check it.

Thanks, hope to see you \:\)

Bob

#921040 - 10/09/03 05:38 PM Re: new york city in october
Bernard Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Groton, NH
Way to go! RKVS1. Glad you're coming.

Last time I was in KlavierHaus (a few weeks ago) they had a few Faziolis (nice!).

Amtrak travels between Philly and NYC, appr. 1.5 hr ride I think. You might check NJTransit on the web, they may have something too. There's probably a lot of buses too.

RE: the concert at Faust, I've reserved a seat and should be there. I think at least a few others are also planning to attend.

Looking forward to meeting everyone.

#921041 - 10/09/03 05:54 PM Re: new york city in october
piqué Offline
5000 Post Club Member

that's great news, bob! who is making the dinner reservations? is it phlebas? better make it for 20. who knows who else might decide to show up at the last minute? ;\)

altenburg's is the elizabeth, nj stop on the train. the trains may not all stop in elizabeth, and i'm not even positive it is the amtrak philly-nyc run that stops there. but even if you have to go all the way into penn station in nyc, it is a quick 20 minute train ride from there to elizabeth.

then you can easily walk from the train platform to the store. you might want to call them in advance to get the directions and find out about the train schedule and which train it is.

edit: oops! i see it is realplayer who volunteered to make dinner reservations at bangkok cuisine. sorry about that phlebas. it is hard keeping track of what's what after seven pages.

now in paperback:

#921042 - 10/09/03 05:59 PM Re: new york city in october
kluurs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago
Sorry, I hoped to make this trip -- but work load prohibits me from attending... Blah... Hope you have a wonderful time.

Ken

#921043 - 10/10/03 01:10 PM Re: new york city in october
RealPlayer Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: NYC
Hi, gang.

So where do we stand? Shall we take extra time at the piano stores? I wasn't the one who called Klavierhaus, so could that person ask them if later is OK? I could call Faust and switch us to 3:30 if that is what we're doing, should I?

I phoned Bangkok Cuisine just to get an idea about the place. Yes, they serve alcohol, have a full bar. They have no problem doing a reservation, but said if it's 15 people or more, we would get our own room. But so far it doesn't look like that many people -- we're at 11 or 12. They could also put tables together in the main restaurant. Communication is a little tricky because of the language thing. They want me to call with a more exact number of patrons for a reservation.

I apologize for not checking out the place in person. I'm just never in that part of town.

I won't be going to the Beaux Arts but may saunter down to a different concert after dinner -- but won't rush dinner to get there, no biggie.

For me the issue now is -- what the heck am I going to play? I'm practicing various things, mostly ensemble music, but no solos are ready to play. Gotta give this some thought.

www.josephkubera.com

#921044 - 10/11/03 06:31 AM Re: new york city in october
lucy in the sky_dup1 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hi,

Sorry that I've been out of touch. Please count me in for anything after five o'clock and until all hours! I might bring Alan and Allegra to the dinner if it isn't too late. Does anyone know what time it will be?

Best,

Member, Red Piano Club
Member, 100 post club

Email: femmedada@aol.com

#921045 - 10/11/03 09:21 AM Re: new york city in october
Phlebas Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:

For me the issue now is -- what the heck am I going to play? I'm practicing various things, mostly ensemble music, but no solos are ready to play. Gotta give this some thought. [/b]
Hey, I guess I better start thinking about that too!

It looks like we could definately be 20 people, and IMO it would be great if they gave us our own room - with a piano ;\) .

If I have a chance, I'll stop by there to take a look at the place, but I'm like you - never in that neighborhood.

Thanks for calling them up though.

#921046 - 10/11/03 10:58 AM Re: new york city in october
piqué Offline
5000 Post Club Member

lucy, i wondered where you were! glad i'm going to get to see you and meet alan and allegra.

i vote for making a reservation for 20 people at the thai restaurant, and getting our own room--that would be great!

and i think 6 pm is a good time to have our dinner reservation. by that time, we'll have been on the crawl for five hours and we'll probably be famished.

plus, then those who want to move on to a concert will have enough time to make their curtains. the rest of us will have plenty of time to relax over dinner and see where the evening takes us.

just curious if tomk knows his schedule any better and might be joining us with his family?

now in paperback:

#921047 - 10/13/03 05:17 PM Re: new york city in october
RealPlayer Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Just FYI --

I made a reservation at Bangkok Cuisine for 6:00 PM on Saturday. The guy I spoke to said he will try to get us a separate room, although his story was that we need 20 or over. Well, there is still a smaller separate room for under 20, if that's what turns out.

I'll post the address on "NYC Itinerary" soon.

www.josephkubera.com

#921048 - 10/13/03 06:24 PM Re: new york city in october
RKVS1 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Is this a COAT and Thia restaurant?

(I need to know before I pack)

Bob \:D

I'll be there with bells on.

#921049 - 10/13/03 08:12 PM Re: new york city in october
RealPlayer Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Bob asks:

Quote:
Is this a COAT and Thai restaurant?
No, but you can THAI one on at the full bar. \:D ... :rolleyes:

Seriously, I've never been there, but I can't recall any ethnic places that require coat and tie unless they're known for being fancy. I'm not planning coat and tie at this point.

www.josephkubera.com

#921050 - 10/13/03 08:13 PM Re: new york city in october
Ockie Offline

Hi Joe,

A belated thanks for the welcome! You confirm what I've found (and already knew): despite wide reputation to the contrary, NYers tend to be quite kind and friendly.

See you (all) Saturday.

Okie

#921051 - 10/13/03 08:17 PM Re: new york city in october
Linda in PA Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: PA - USA
Hello, All:

My fingers don't really want to type this message, but it seems I must. A family situation has arisen which will preclude my travel to NYC on Saturday. I have looked forward to this get-together for weeks now, and am deeply disappointed that I will miss out on all of the fun and the rare opportunity to meet each of you.

I hope that you have a wonderful time and that you will post lots of pictures so that I can see what I missed. Would also enjoy hearing about what each of you decided to play. For what it's worth, I've been working on the following pieces to play for you:

• Clementi's Sonatina in G Major, Op. 36, No. 2, Movements I and II
  • Bach's Invention No. 4 in D Minor, BWV 775

I was especially looking forward to your feedback on my left-hand trill in the Bach Invention (measures 29-33). Well, perhaps another time.

Best wishes to all. I hope we'll have another chance to meet.

. . . Linda (forlorn and dejected) in PA

#921052 - 10/13/03 09:42 PM Re: new york city in october
lucy in the sky_dup1 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Is anyone else bringing kids? I'm trying to decide whether to bring Allegra, or try to find a babysitter. If all else fails, the babysitter would have to be Alan, and I know that he would enjoy getting together with everyone.

Member, Red Piano Club
Member, 100 post club

Email: femmedada@aol.com

#921053 - 10/13/03 10:04 PM Re: new york city in october
RKVS1 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Ah ratsoli, Linda! I was looking forward to meeting you. Sorry you are going to miss it. I hope whatever situation came up works out ok.

Bob

#921054 - 10/13/03 10:21 PM Re: new york city in october
concertkey Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Sorry to have dropped out of sight on this crawl. My wife is going into the city that day on an early bus for an interior design seminar. I may be able to take a later bus into the city (do not want to drive in) and have her meet us there. Also, have been feeling a little sheepish about seeing all the dealers that I met but didn't buy from! Lastly, have been fighting some tendonitis in my right elbow and didn't want to irritate it all over again. Am slowly getting back into the repertoire.

I will express my intentions after speaking to my wife.

Incidently, I have purchased an instrument but have been too busy with the opening of the school year and construction in the house to announce it.

#921055 - 10/14/03 12:52 AM Re: new york city in october
Bernard Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Linda in PA, \:\( . Life is so unpredictable! Drat. I know it's little consolation now, but I'm sure we'll be having other get-togethers.

Lucy In The Sky, well I won't be bringing any children. It would be sad if Alan missed it. I'd say if the worse happens and he has to babysit, he should babysit Allegra at the piano crawl! That way, if she gets tired and they have to leave early, at least he'll experience some of it. \:\)

concertkey, do try to make it, at least come for dinner. It would be great to meet you and you know what they say... "the more the merrier..." Anyway, you don't owe the dealers anything... for all they know you could have inherited a piano since you last spoke with them! Also, you know, playing is optional. Congrats on the piano!

#921056 - 10/14/03 10:03 AM Re: new york city in october
RealPlayer Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Linda, very sorry you won't be able to make it. \:\( I was looking forward to meeting you. But as Bernard said, there'll be a next time.

Concertkey, I do hope you find that you'll be able to make it. It'll be fun.

Now, what's the verdict on piano store times? Should I call Faust and say it'll be 3:30 instead of 3?

www.josephkubera.com

#921057 - 10/14/03 11:43 AM Re: new york city in october
RKVS1 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

RP you thought my coat&thia joke was so bad I'd be embarrassed to show up there?? NO WAY! I'll be there ready to chow down with the best of them. \:\)

Bob(D1)

#921058 - 10/14/03 02:12 PM Re: new york city in october
Phlebas Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
Linda, very sorry you won't be able to make it. \:\( I was looking forward to meeting you. But as Bernard said, there'll be a next time.

Concertkey, I do hope you find that you'll be able to make it. It'll be fun.

Now, what's the verdict on piano store times? Should I call Faust and say it'll be 3:30 instead of 3? [/b]
RealPlayer,

I have a call in to Gabor Reisinger at KlavierHaus to confirm 4:30 there. I also want to make sure we can have a full hour there.
If you think I need to, I can call Beethoven's to confirm 2:00.

#921059 - 10/14/03 02:16 PM Re: new york city in october
Bernard Offline
3000 Post Club Member

pique: I figured if I posted this here you would see it, and at the same time other NY'ers would see it too.

Pedro de Alcantara, the author of "Indirect Procedures", a book on Alexander Technique for musicians, is giving a seminar on Sunday 10/19 from 6-9 pm in the Rose Building at Lincoln Center (10th floor, room 1).

I've been told he's accepting 4 students to work with and 25 auditors. I've signed up to audit. $75 to participate; $40 to audit.

If you're interest in this, call Kathy Jarka at (212) 787-1534 (or lemoncelli@yahoo.com) to reserve a seat.

#921060 - 10/14/03 06:48 PM Re: new york city in october
Axtremus Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Hello,

If this is not too late, I would like to let you all know that
(1) I would like to join the Piano Crawl
(2) I would like to have dinner with the group

I realize (2) may require advance reservations. So feel free to drop me if you can't fit me in at this late notice.

(Edit: deleted the concert-related comment -- just realize that it doesn't look like the group will be going to any concert as a whole anyway. ;\) )

Thanks.

#921061 - 10/15/03 12:29 AM Re: new york city in october
Bernard Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Axtremus, don't know where I've been, but this is probably the first time I've seen your handle! A belated welcome from me. \:\)

And we'd love to have you join us. I don't think reservations will be a problem. RealPlayer, maybe you can confirm this? BTW, you guys and gals (RealPlayer, Phlebas, pique) are really great to do all this scheduling of times and making reservations.

I have no idea what the concert situation is at the present time, but I gather that there are not many planning to attend the Beaux Arts Trio at the Met. I think it will be just grand to linger at the restaurant and talk, talk, talk and then mosey on over to some place with music, such as a jazz club as Frank has suggested.

Lucy In The Sky, I've been thinking more about your question, and personally, I think it would be just wonderful if you brought Allegra along.

#921062 - 10/16/03 02:54 AM Re: new york city in october
David Burton Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Coxsackie, New York
OK, I'm committed to coming into NYC on Friday for the concert at Faust Harrison at 7 pm (have already put in reservations for 2 with the store), then the piano store tour on Saturday, please let's finalize the schedule and post it here sometime in the next 24 hrs, and dinner (I'll need 2 reservations). I'm leaving for NYC on Friday morning, will be walking around midtown til 6 or so if anyone wants to meet me anywhere.

#921063 - 10/16/03 10:39 AM Re: new york city in october
Phlebas Offline

I keep missing Gabor Reisinger at KlavierHaus. Is still have a call in to him - he called me back, but I had left work.

I did confirm with someone else, though, that we are scheduled for this Sat. at 4 or 4:30. They said that they will be open until about 6:00 that day. I told them that would be great because we really wanted to see their pianos, and have at least a full hour there.

I'm expecting a call from Gabor to confirm.

BTW, LindaInPA: I'm ver sorry to hear you are not able to make it. I was looking forward to meeting you - and hearing you play. If you're ever in NYC again.....

#921064 - 10/16/03 01:55 PM Re: new york city in october
Phlebas Offline

After looking at RealPlayer's schedule in the other thread, I confirmed with Beethoven's for 2:30. So, we should be on track with all the stops.

#921065 - 10/16/03 02:33 PM Re: new york city in october
piqué Offline
5000 Post Club Member

sorry i've been out of the loop. i'm in new york now, and it has been nonstop from the minute i arrived.

it sounds like we are on track for the new schedule, with A&C at 1 pm, beethoven's at 2:30, FH at 3:30 and KH at 4:30. is that right?

looking forward to seeing all of you in just two days!

does someone want to post a last call notice on the main piano forum and the pianist corner to bring this to the attention of latecomers to the thread? maybe link to the excellent itinerary thread?

sorry, i gotta run! see you there!

now in paperback:

#921066 - 10/16/03 05:28 PM Re: new york city in october
RealPlayer Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Hi, everyone.

I'm not sure what I was thinking -- but I neglected to contact Faust Harrison until today about moving our time there from 3:00 to 3:30. I guess I wasn't totally sure we were going with the later arrangement. Then yesterday I read the last 2 pages of posts and it really sounded like that's what everyone wanted to do. So I posted the new times on NYC Itinerary.

Anyway I taked to Kevin there today -- he thought it would be fine, but I'd originally spoken with Michael. And I will now try to send Irving a private message just to be sure it's OK with him.

I assume I'll hear back from someone at FH if there's any problem. In which case I'll post here immediately.

And I'm really sorry if I've goofed up, but hopefully not.

www.josephkubera.com

Page 9 of 10 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
97 registered (Atrys, accordeur, Anticlock, ascc, Austin D, 26 invisible), 1325 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75602 Members
42 Forums
156326 Topics
2295871 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
piano technician cost list
by ascc
08/01/14 01:36 AM
Liszt on Steinway A3
by Reno
08/01/14 01:35 AM
Roland RD800 initial impressions
by fizikisto
08/01/14 12:28 AM
Connected Slurs
by TX-Bluebonnet
08/01/14 12:17 AM
Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions
by AB Forum Recital
07/31/14 10:17 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission