2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
32 members (admodios, busa, Cominut, drumour, Foxtrot3, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 6 invisible), 1,167 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 14
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Thank you, kluurs.

TO ALL: Frank says Friday is better for him. If we hold it on Saturday he said he would still try to come but a weekday is better.

"Hunger for growth will come to you in the form of a problem." -- unknown
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
thanks for the update on that, bernard.

now we have to ask frank: if we hold it on friday do you promise to come?

and, was anyone planning to come who is excluded if we hold it on friday?

frank, my offer to take you out to dinner while i'm in nyc is still good either way. smile

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

Grand Obsession: A Piano Odyssey
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I'll be coming back from England on the weekend of the 25th; if the meeting's Friday the 24th or Saturday the 25th I'll arrange to come through New York. I do very poorly with jet lag, however, and will probably act, if not look, half dead.

There is no end of learning. -Robert Schumann Rules for Young Musicians
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
It begins to look like Friday would be slightly better than Saturday for me and the tickets to hear Alicia are pretty steep even for me. Comments?

5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
there are several good concerts listed for friday the 17th also, including alicia de laroccha (again), on page one of this thread.

would all interested parties please peruse again and cast your votes?

whether it is friday the 17th or saturday the 18th makes no difference to me. the following weekend does NOT work for me, as my dad's concert in NJ is that weekend and i will spend a few days visiting the parents.

of the concerts listed so far for the 17th, i would enjoy going to see "traviata" at the met, or possibly the bargemusic concert (second choice), as i've never been to one of those.

on the 18th, my preference would be to see h.m.s. pinafore or the beaux arts trio (second choice).

none of this means i'm not up for going to something else, including alicia, as that seems to be the most exciting option for many forum members.

let everyone state their real preferences and then we'll tally up the results.

tell us your best day, your second choice day.

tell us your first choice concert, your second choice concert (or give choice of two).

i hope everyone who might want to join us can weigh in soon, so we can at least get the tickets issue taken care of.

i'm hoping to be leaving town for about ten days on 9/2, and won't be reachable before about the 11th, but i'm getting email notification every time someone posts here, so i'll stay tuned for as long as i'm able.

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
First choice day - Fri 17th.
- first choice concert - Alicia De.
- second choice - Bargemusic.

Second choice day - Sat. 18th.
- first choice concert - Beaux Arts Trio
- second choice - Bargemusic.

Bargemusic is an interesting venue, but I'm afraid it is more difficult to get to than Manhattan concerts. Also, if we decide on that, we may want to explore restaurants in that area, which I'm not too familiar with.

Bella, on the other hand is a good choice for the west side. I'm sad to hear that "The Sacred Ginmill" - Armstrong's closed a second time (maybe Jimmy lost his lease again). That was always a good place to go for food and drinks.

Once we decide on a day and concert, we should decide on a dinner place. I would be glad to handle the reservations when we decide, and have a ball park number of people.

5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Phlebas,
you knew armstrong's??? what do you mean, "a second time?" it was closed when i was there last october. is it possible it reopened since then?

i loved that place! it was my living room when i lived on 56th street--my place was too small to entertain, so i and my friends regularly held court at armstrong's. i was introduced to it by a friend at the ny times. he told me lots of media types go there because both cbs and pbs studios are close by.

is that your line of work, by any chance?

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Edited for double post.

Anyway, back to this Oct.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by piqué:
Phlebas,
you knew armstrong's??? what do you mean, "a second time?" it was closed when i was there last october. is it possible it reopened since then?

i loved that place! it was my living room when i lived on 56th street--my place was too small to entertain, so i and my friends regularly held court at armstrong's. i was introduced to it by a friend at the ny times. he told me lots of media types go there because both cbs and pbs studios are close by.

is that your line of work, by any chance?
No, not my line of work at all.

The best mystery novel ever written was by Lawrence Block, and was entitled "When the Sacred Ginmill Closes." It takes place in the mid-1970's, and the private-eye main character, and all his cronies hung out at Armstrong's - among other ginmills (actually, I never thought of Armstrong's as a ginmill).
Armstrong's used to be on nonth avenue, but they lost their lease in the late 1970's, and Jimmy Armstrong moved a block west to 10th avenue.

I had a roommate who bartended there for a couple years, and I loved the food and atmosphere there - heck's Kitchen without all the sleaze.

That's my connection with Armstrong's.

You should definately read this book, if you were a regular there.

5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
i was a regular there, and thanks for the tip on the book. who knows, phlebas, maybe we've already shared pleasantries from adjacent tables there.

i wonder if they have relocated again? is it possible they are still in the neighborhood somewhere and might still be a great place to get together?

they had the world's most eclectic menu, truly international (and the size of a novella), and very inexpensive, and a great atmosphere.

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Maybe we were sitting across the room. If you saw someone who looked like a 35-40 yr old version of Brad Pitt, but with better bone structure, that was me. wink

If you believe that, there's a bridge on the east side, and further downtown I could sell you.

I the meantime, I'll check to make sure they did not reopen.

R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Hi, Pique et al.

What a great idea. I just happened on this thread. Actually, I just got back from Europe yesterday, so my brain is sort of mush right now.

Oct. 17 and 18 both look good for me right now. I don't know that I'm psyched for going to a concert, especially an expensive one, but I'm up for a piano-store crawl and dinner and/or wine/cheese. If y'all are doing a concert, I may join you for it, if inexpensive, or just join you for the other activities.

For you out-of-towners, note that going to a less-expensive ethnic restaurant in NYC doesn't mean you won't get a great meal. Many of them are fabulous -- but I will defer to Manhattanites to offer specific recommendations (I'm in an "outer borough.")

Note that Faust/Harrison has an intermittent piano concert series on Friday nights at 7. That means one could attend this 1-hour concert and still go to another concert at 8! However, I don't know if they have a concert scheduled there for Oct. 17. I myself will be playing there in December (end of commercial).

There's a buzz that Klavierhaus is starting to have concerts there, some being of contemporary music. Sorry, I have no further info as to actual dates. Maybe they have a website?

It's not relevant to this particular weekend, but FYI, there's going to be a big multi-piano event at the Winter Garden in Lower Manhattan (World Financial Center, opposite the WTC site) -- 25 pianos, I think, and the date's something like Sept. 25 or Oct. 25. I was asked to be part of it but I couldn't make some of the rehearsals, so now I'm sort of blanking out on the date. Anyway, it sounds like a "must-see" for piano lovers.

Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
RealPlayer,
If you get any more details on upcoming concerts,
could you post them under the "Concert News and Reviews" forum?

I'm also thinking of adding a Calendar to the forums so we can easily track dates.

Thanks,

- Frank B.
Piano World

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Friday or Saturday are equally good for me, so:

First choice: Friday, 17th: Traviata
Second choice: Saturday, 18th: De Larrocha
Third choice: Friday, 17th: De Larrocha
Fourth choice: Saturday, 18th: Figaro's Nose wink

"Hunger for growth will come to you in the form of a problem." -- unknown
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
i heard from derick that he's returning from europe on the 17th, so there's a chance he could join us on the 18th.

also, rich d. from arlington has said he'll see if he can make it up, but i know it would have to be a saturday for him. this might be true for other out of towners as well.

neither is committed to coming if we make it saturday, at this point.

lucy, care to weigh in on this issue? i suspect you wouldn't be able to make it for the daytime part of the gathering if it were a friday...?

has frank committed to coming if it is friday?

frank, don't be shy about weighing in with your preferences....

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hi pique,

A couple o' points.

I don't know where I'll be so I can't commit,

BUT if you want the use of a piano you can play on the one on which I had my NYC concert debut. A Yamaha 5 footer. It's in the McDonald's on 56th and 8th--no kidding. Just go in there and tell the manager you want to play and then bang away to your hearts content.

Also, the best Chinese restaurant in NYC, the China Regency is on 55th and 7th, next to the Carnage Deli. Also, the best pizza is John's on 44th and 8th--the place used to be an old Baptist church, it has a huge rose window in the ceiling.

(I'll think of more stuff later.)

But anyway, you should definitely hit the McDonald's.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by piqué:

frank, don't be shy about weighing in with your preferences....
Don't base the plans on me, base them on what
works for the majority.
I'll do my best to join in.

- Frank B.
Piano World

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Piano World:
Don't base the plans on me, base them on what
works for the majority.
I'll do my best to join in.

- Frank B.
Piano World
how about we promise not to base them on you. but we would like to have your input to weigh in the final tally. you get one vote, like everyone else. will that work for you?

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by TomK:
I don't know where I'll be so I can't commit
i just KNEW it. i KNEW you were one of those dangerous types. come here and seduce us all with your silver tongue, then noncommittal when it comes to fulfilling our dreams.... how i'd dreamed of being on your arm when you introduced me to placido... you in your tux, me in my jeans and sweats. i hope apple is reading this.

BUT if you want the use of a piano you can play on the one on which I had my NYC concert debut. A Yamaha 5 footer. It's in the McDonald's on 56th and 8th--no kidding. Just go in there and tell the manager you want to play and then bang away to your hearts content.
:rolleyes:
i can see it now: our glamorous pianoworld night on the town--at mcdonald's playing a toy-sized yamaha. :rolleyes:

seriously, that sounds like a fun diversion. i never noticed a piano in there before. keep the ideas coming!

Also, the best Chinese restaurant in NYC, the China Regency is on 55th and 7th, next to the Carnage Deli.
hm, interesting slip of the tongue. wink is that where you make your surprise appearance with your tools of the florida smuggler's trade? wink

Also, the best pizza is John's on 44th and 8th--the place used to be an old Baptist church, it has a huge rose window in the ceiling.
gosh dang it, tomk, with your guidance, i'm going to know nyc better now than when i lived there. i definitely plan to check out all these places during my visit. thanks for the tips!!!!!

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
realplayer,
so glad you stumbled on this thread. until forum members get used to the idea of checking this new area out, i'm afraid our profile is a bit low.

so glad you will be able to make it, whether for just a part of or the whole evening. it will be good to meet you, and hear you play. [making mental note to feign a sprained hand and lose score the day before...]

i'm also on a budget, and i agree with you that some of the best food in the city is at the small, hole-in-the-wall ethnic restaurants. but i don't think bella will be too dear. at least, when i was living in heck's kitchen as a freelancer i managed to eat there fairly regularly (and i'm pretty sure my dad was not always picking up the tab. wink )

could you find out if any of the piano showrooms are having concerts during our planned dates? that could significantly impact if and when they can accommodate us, and also might fit nicely with our plans to go to a concert together. i would love to attend one.

could you also report to us on when the winter garden piano event is happening? it sounds very interesting! do they have a web site for the concert?

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

Page 4 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 14

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission