2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, crab89, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, 13 invisible), 2,113 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 14 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 13 14
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
pique,

It was an excellent idea to post the thread in the Piano Forum.

Once we firm up a date, I would be glad to call any of the dealers, although I do not have a relationship with any - except some people I know who work at the Steinway factory in Astoria.

I guess we're not putting PianoPiano on the list. wink

R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Some of this is duplicated from my posting in Piano Forums.

I am awaiting a call-back from Faust/Harrison, as I am trying to set up our visit there. Strange, no one picked up the phone today; I left a message...maybe they're extremely busy.

We should note that Faust/Harrison and Klavierhaus are not large showrooms. You even have to be buzzed into the front door. Beethoven's, with its 2 floors, is somewhat larger than those two. Steinway & Sons is large, Altenberg's in NJ (with their auxiliary building) is large.

Maybe we should stagger our arrivals, or just divide ourselves into Group A and Group B so we don't all descend on one place at once.

Also we might consider A&C Piano Craft, a few streets away. Again, not a large store, and I think it's rebuilts only. I've seen some nice work from them.

I always did have a funny feeling about PianoPiano. Instruments out of tune and so jammed together you can't walk around in there. I've met some nice sales staff, but perhaps that's as far as it goes.

5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
the sense i am getting is that the best date for the majority is saturday, october 18th. this includes a couple of emails i've received, as well as what has been posted here.

if anyone thinks i've misperceived that, please speak up.

otherwise, i make the motion that we set the date for october 18th. all in favor? opposed?

if anyone finds out that that date won't work for the showrooms, please report back here.

i like the idea of visiting pianocraft as i've heard good things about it, but have never been there. where is it?

i think if we just play one at a time, it shouldn't matter if we all go to the showroom at once. i'd hate to miss out hearing someone play because we were in two groups.

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

Grand Obsession: A Piano Odyssey
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I'm willing to make my first choice The Beaux Arts Trio on Sat. the 18th. I can always see Alicia on my own if I so desire.

"Hunger for growth will come to you in the form of a problem." -- unknown
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by piqué:

otherwise, i make the motion that we set the date for october 18th. all in favor? opposed?

I second the motion. Also, I agree that it would be a shame not to hear someone because we split up the group.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I am willing to commit to Saturday, October 18th. While in my heart of hearts, I would most like to hear Alicia de Larrocha, I would also enjoy the Beaux Arts Trio. If the trio would be a better choice for the majority, count me in as favoring it.

Lucy

Member, Red Piano Club
Member, 100 post club

Email: femmedada@aol.com
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by piqué:
here's a proposed schedule:

klavierhaus at 1 pm
beethoven's at 2 pm
faust-harrison at 3 pm
steinway hall (optional?) at 4:30 pm

dinner reservations for 5:30

curtain at 8 pm
I'll be at Klavierhaus on Saturday and will speak with them in person regarding a Piano Forum visit from 1PM - 2PM on 10/18. Will post back with their response on Monday.

I also vote for remaining together as one group. I think we are still a manageable size at this point.

5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
i love how this is turning into a collective effort, with everyone making one sort of contribution or another.

might i suggest that if it turns out we have a majority for beaux arts trio, that alicia de larrocha is playing other (three?) nights that month, and possibly could still be heard by those who want to hear her? (of course, i'm sure that's not the only night the beaux arts trio is playing all year, either).

thanks everyone for handling the contacts at the showrooms. i'll be back in a week or so. i look forward to seeing how things have developed and possibly been finalized by then.

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
here's more excellent advice on approaching dealers from klavier bauer (copied from his posting in the piano forum). please check over there on occasion to see if any other dealers have contributed. the thread is called "to all dealers...." or something like that.

I'm sure dealers will be happy to accomodate you pique, as long as they have some notice. An appointment wouldn't be a bad way to do it.
As Steve said, I'm sure they'll be receptive to your group.

I would just add that it's nice for the people swarming the store to be considerate of the store, and other customers. (I say this knowing you will all be sensitive to this... just saying it nonetheless).
A group like this might yield a serious shopper later on, but really the group is there to have fun and play pianos, they're not there to have pianos sold to them. If a dealer knows this, you might have a bit more freedom to play pianos without having to feel like you're stealing sales staff.
If I am playing for liesure or just to try out pianos somewhere, I hop off as soon as another customer begins tinkering around. I absolutely can't stand when someone starts playing while you're playing, but in this type of situation, I figure the serious customer has priority over me, and I yield to them.
I think if your group is sensitive to these things, and gives the dealer sufficient notice, and an honest overview of your intentions, you will all have a great time.

KlavierBauer

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

D
D
I'm down for a crawl and dinner, but i'm gonna have to pull out of the show

Sorry guys.

thumb cool :p

S
S
Hi Guys,

I bought a piano from FH, and occasionally, I correspond with Sara. Let me know if I can be of any help. I think Sara is one of the best people I've ever had the pleasure to deal with.

S
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
S
How about an hour to protest in front of PianoPiano! mad mad mad

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

S
S
laugh

Ed Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
thumb

R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
WE ARE CONFIRMED at Faust Harrison Pianos for October 18th at 3 PM. I just spoke to Michael Harrison and he is happy to accommodate us. smile

There is no concert that date at F/H. There is one the previous evening, Oct. 17 -- Chris Chalfont, jazz piano with quartet.

I just tried calling K-haus to see if they have any concerts on that weekend...left a message.

By the way, A&C Pianocraft is at 333 W. 52nd between 8th and 9th Aves. So, about six blocks toward downtown if you are at 8th Ave. and 58th. If there's interest, I'll call them.

Cheers,

5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
WE ARE CONFIRMED at Faust Harrison Pianos for October 18th at 3 PM. I just spoke to Michael Harrison and he is happy to accommodate us. smile
WOO HOO! thank you, realplayer!!! that's terrific! laugh laugh laugh

just taking a peek at how things are going. i'm experiencing some delays in getting out of town (always, the usual).

how about a revised schedule that would look like this:

1 pm klavier haus
2 pm beethoven's
3 pm faust-harrison
4:30 pm a &c pianocraft (sounds more interesting to me than steinway hall)

which leaves us in the heart of cheap, good, ethnic food country. we can all cram into an afghani restaurant for chicken tandoor, or head back up to 56th and 9th for the gentility of bella's (and a confirmed reservation to smooth our way).

then, a new idea, since it seems that several participants are passing on the concert....

are people interested in having a parallel option, of simply continuing on after dinner with drinks/coffee/dessert somewhere? is going to a concert a more or a less important part of the evening for people?

or are those who are passing on the concert doing so because they really need to make an early evening of it?

i'd encourage the development of a parallel, non-concert option, if there is interest.

'bye again. i doubt i'll be able to do any more checking in for a while.

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I would be just as happy without the concert. It might, after all, cause us to feel rushed. Going on to coffee & dessert or drinks would be fine with me.

"Hunger for growth will come to you in the form of a problem." -- unknown
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
i'm going to have to turn off that "notify by email" function or i'll never get out of here! wink

however it comes out, count me in with the majority, bernard. if a substantial body of people would prefer to simply continue on without the pressure of having to make an 8 pm curtain (and possibly be able to spend time at more piano showrooms or more time at one), then i'll do that.

if most people really want to go see the beaux arts trio at 8 at the met museum, please, whoever annoints themselves the ticket buyer, get me a ticket.

thanks!

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Hi, gang.

I just got in touch with Alex (Kostakis) at A&C PianoCraft, and he would be happy to have us over on October 18.

His normal Saturday hours are 8 to 2, but he is willing to work with us on a time. The 4:30 time suggested a few posts ago would be OK with him, but I do think something earlier would suit him a bit better.

Since we have Faust at 3 PM, what about earlier? Linda, did you get in touch with Klavierhaus? I don't know who's working on Beethoven's.

Once we know what we want to do, I'll call back A&C.

---------------

Over on the Piano Forum, Pianoloverus mentioned Maximiliaan's for art-case pianos (Kl-haus usually has a few of those too, but Max. is exclusively art-case). My impression of the art-case pianos is, they're more fun to look at than to actually play. But if someone wants to go, it will probably be extra-curricular as it's not near Piano Row -- it's on Lexington and E. 32nd St. My suggestion is, anyone who really wants to do that should go there before we all meet on Piano Row.

--------------

I'll be away for a few days. I have computer access, but I don't know whether I'll be permitted to log onto PianoWorld from a remote computer. Just letting you all know.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Realplayer,

Why don't we do A&C Pianocraft at 1 or 2, since both those slots are available, and he is open at those times?

Page 6 of 14 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 13 14

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission