2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (bcalvanese, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, 14 invisible), 2,112 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 14 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
there is actually a howard johnson's on 57th between 9th and 10th (or used to be). it is reasonable, but not beautiful.

irving, what is the name of the hotel that is on the north side of 58th right in your block? i can't find the brochure i saved from it. it looked nice. do you know if it is?

frank, thai can be very spicy, but at most thai restaurants you can ask them to make it mild, or order something that isn't spicy. many of the dishes are made with a red, yellow, or green curry sauce, and i imagine you could ask them to not use the sauce.

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

Grand Obsession: A Piano Odyssey
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi, Everyone:

If A&C is more than a block or two from Beethoven's, Faust Harrison, and Klavierhaus, then I'll skip A&C and just meet up with everyone at Beethoven's.

As far as restaurants, I'm fine with either Italian or Thai. My limitations involve proximity and accessability. I am unable to walk very far or to climb stairs. Not familiar with the city - are any of the candidate restaurants close to the dealers?

Does anyone have info on ticket prices for Beaux Art Trio?

Thanks . . . Linda

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Linda in PA:
Hi, Everyone:

If A&C is more than a block or two from Beethoven's, Faust Harrison, and Klavierhaus, then I'll skip A&C and just meet up with everyone at Beethoven's.

As far as restaurants, I'm fine with either Italian or Thai. My limitations involve proximity and accessability. I am unable to walk very far or to climb stairs. Not familiar with the city - are any of the candidate restaurants close to the dealers?

Does anyone have info on ticket prices for Beaux Art Trio?

Thanks . . . Linda
Linda, I would hate to have you miss out on A&C. If you want, I'll cab with you from there to Beethoven's.

Speaking of Beethoven's, I just got off the phone with Chris there and confirmed 2:00 on the 18th.
He is not sure he will have any Grotrians that day. They had two, but he said they were sold already.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Phlebas:
Linda, I would hate to have you miss out on A&C. If you want, I'll cab with you from there to Beethoven's.
Phlebas, that is very kind of you - I will take you up on the offer. I have not been to A&C, so it would be nice to visit. Thank you!

Originally posted by Phlebas:
...He is not sure he will have any Grotrians that day. They had two, but he said they were sold already.
WOW - Bad for us, but good for Beethoven's! Perhaps Chris can share information about PianoWorld and our upcoming visit with the new owners. Maybe one of the new Grotrian owners would even be willing to postpone delivery until after our soirée? Nah, who am I kidding. Still, it's nice to see a dealer get off to a good start with a new line.

5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
the owner of beethoven's told me there is a fresh shipment of three new grotrians leaving germany this week, and he thinks it is very likely they'll be in the store by the time of our visit.

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
there is actually a howard johnson's on 57th between 9th and 10th (or used to be). it is reasonable, but not beautiful.
It's a "used to be." It's now some sort of fancy "Italian Grille." (Actually, it was on 8th a bit lower down, near Times Square. Unless you are talking about someplace completely different.)

[Linked Image]

You gotta go to Waterbury, CT if you want fried clams. (They have a real hottie cashier!)

Ed Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by TomK:
[QUOTE] ... (They have a real hottie cashier!)
OK, forget the piano crawl. I'm bypassing NYC for CT!

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Oh, no! Stop in for the piano crawl. I posted a link earlier for a web site with some ideas: Best Hotel Bets

Also, this site has some ideas (The Pickwick Arms, Bently, and Inter-Continental Barclay are not too far from where the crawl will happen): Favorite Hotels (Anything on the link "Midtown West" over on the left will be pretty close to the crawl too.

"Hunger for growth will come to you in the form of a problem." -- unknown
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I come to NYC every November & have stayed at the Bentley for the past two years. It's quite restful.

There is no end of learning. -Robert Schumann Rules for Young Musicians
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
this isn't a restaurant, tom, it's a hotel.

maybe it's a day's inn? it's on the south side of 57th between 9th and tenth. i'm not recommending it, but it is close, and reasonably priced for new york.

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
i've stayed at the mayflower hotel--in a suite. it's wonderful! i don't know how much they charge though, as i was brought in to do a tv show and the program payed for the room.

thanks for posting the links to the hotels, because here is the hotel i was trying to remember that is right on piano row:

carnegie suites hotel

ok, and with a little help from the same web site, i found out it is a HOLIDAY INN that is on west 57th street. here's the link for them:

holiday inn

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

Ed Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thanks to all for the hotel info.

Carnegie Suites has no rooms for that weekend and Holiday Inn only has rooms for $420 cheapest rate for the weekend. I'll keep checking.

Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I usually stay at the Renaissance (Marriott property), 7th ave at W. 48th. It's a short cab ride or brisk walk to piano row from there.

Rates start at $299.00

It's an older hotel, but kept up nicely.
They have high speed internet access:-)

Foleys restaurant inside the hotel offers great seafood and a perfect view of Times Square. There's even a
Yamaha baby grand off the lobby, next to one of the bars.

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
try expedia.com and priceline.com

expedia.com buys rooms ahead in blocks at discount prices. i got great deals in hawaii in the high season using them. this also means that there may be empty rooms, but they are being held by a consolidator like expedia.

priceline.com lets you name the price you are willing to pay and the class of hotel. and maybe the neighborhood, too.

i wouldn't put too much store by staying right next to piano row. there is the subway system and cabs, you know!

i myself will be staying at a friend's in gramercy park, which is not convenient to piano row at all. and some of us are coming in from outer boroughs.

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

Ed Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I don't mind walking at all. In fact, I much prefer it to other modes of travel. So I don't don't mind being several blocks away. Looks like the Bentley (as recommended by Palindrome) has rooms. Probably worth making a reservation; I can cancel if I decide not to attend.

$299 rate is more than I would want to spend, a matter of priority rather than affordability. All I really need is a bed and a bathroom. Actually, all I really need is a floor and a bathroom (I guess that means that all I really need is a bathroom). Too bad NYC doesn't have those little sleeping cubicle things that they have in Tokyo. Has anyone ever seen them?

5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
$299/night is ridiculous, ed. if you don't mind a european style hotel (shared bath), there are dozens, with rooms available those nights, for under $100 a night.

if you want your own bathroom, and to be in a "nice" hotel, i just did a quick search on expedia.com and found many, many three- and four-star hotels right in manhattan that have rooms available those nights; they start at $140.

the best of these is the new york helmsley, a four-star hotel near grand central station, for $169 a night. that's a special rate just for expedia customers.

you buy the room from expedia. the hotels might tell you they are full, but expedia now owns the rooms at a block discount, so i really think this is your best bet.

if it were me, before i even went the expedia route, however, i would go to priceline.com and tell them i want a four-star hotel in midtown for $80/night, standard room, and see what i get.

if i failed there, i'd go to expedia.

glad to see you can make it. i don't want hotels rooms to stand in anybody's way. wink

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Got a room at the Holiday Day Inn Midtown (two blocks from Central Park) for $179.00+tax through Hotels.com. Thought that was not too bad a rate.

Rich

Retired at the beach
Grotrian 192

Anton Rubinstein said about the piano: "You think it is one instrument? It is a hundred instruments!"
Ed Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hey Rich. I bet you don't know that your AA is now residing in Thailand.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Could someone repeat the itinerary here, including the name of the store, location, and times?

Are we planning on all meeting up at the first store, or someplace else beforehand?

Thanks.

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
frank,
i got your email saying you didn't get mine, but otherwise haven't heard from you. i've sent you three emails and also left a voice message on your telephone. have you received any of them?

itinerary for saturday oct. 18th

1 p.m. a&c pianocraft
2 p.m. beethoven's
3 p.m. faust harrison
4 p.m. klavier haus

questions to the group at large:

are we or are we not going to a concert that evening with an 8 p.m. curtain?
if we are, then we need a 5:30 p.m. dinner reservation.
if we are not, do we want to revise the above schedule to give ourselves more time at the beginning, so we have time to walk uptown? and then a little more wiggle room so we have time to regather and walk to the next store? then it would be something like this:

1 p.m. a&c pianocraft
2:30 beethoven's
3:45 faust harrison
5 klavier haus

does anyone know if that would be feasible with the stores in question? i believe beethoven's is open late. maybe we could switch them with klavier haus to give us a little more flexibility?

otherwise, if we are going to hear the beax arts trio, or if any of us are, we'll need to stick to the more rigid schedule.

more questions:

do we have a quorum on the restaurant choice? are we going for thai? anyone want to volunteer to make the reservation? and what is our head count at this point?

i will post a notice on the main forum for everyone who is coming to dinner to check in here.

finally, to answer frank's other question, i think it should work fine for all of us to initially meet at a&c pianocraft. some people will no doubt be drifting in and out of the crawl anyway.

who has the address? could you post it again?

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

Page 11 of 14 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission