Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#921109 - 06/07/05 06:21 PM Re: Washington DC Area Piano Party
Ed Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Pensacola, FL
Terry, they look great!

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
#921110 - 06/07/05 06:27 PM Re: Washington DC Area Piano Party
Pegg Offline

Loc: Maryland
Terry,

Thanks for the nice looking name tags.

Everyone,

Has it been decided if we are going to bring something or how much to contribute.

Peggy

#921111 - 06/07/05 06:49 PM Re: Washington DC Area Piano Party
Spin Doctor Offline

Loc: Maryland, USA
Great job Terry, thanks!

Peggy, I think you can bring the libation of your choice and we're going to chip in for the food, but I'm not sure how much the contributions should be. I guess we'll figure it out...

As far as practicing, I won't need to since I'll just be turning pages with one hand and sipping wine with the other ;\)

-- Winston Churchill

#921112 - 06/07/05 07:29 PM Re: Washington DC Area Piano Party
Terrytunes Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Tewksbury MA
Thanks, everyone! It was fairly hot weather up this way today (finally) so I had the excuse to remove myself from doing yardwork and head inside to work on name tags. ;\)

Of course, you all must realize that these name tags come with one stipulation! And that is, a picture of the whole group exhibiting your spiffy looking tags!! :p

Have Fun!!

#921113 - 06/09/05 03:43 AM Re: Washington DC Area Piano Party
markb Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Would 7:00 or 7:30 be too late to arrive? I'm hoping to get there earlier, but late-breaking plans may make me tardy.

Also, what's the dress code?

#921114 - 06/09/05 08:21 AM Re: Washington DC Area Piano Party
Catlady Offline

Loc: Arlington,VA
Just don't come naked.
We'll probably be here til 10-ish.

#921115 - 06/09/05 08:36 AM Re: Washington DC Area Piano Party
markb Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Catlady:
Just don't come naked.
[/b]
I'm glad you told me! I always like to make a grand entrance. I'm sure I can find some clothes around here somewhere...

#921116 - 06/09/05 11:47 AM Re: Washington DC Area Piano Party
Linda in PA Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: PA - USA
Terry[/b] - the name tags look great!!!! Thanks for the effort. Can we reimburse you for your time and materials?

markb[/b] - no matter how late you come, no matter what your attire (or lack thereof ? ? ? ), you still have to play. Remember, we had an agreement!

#921117 - 06/09/05 12:22 PM Re: Washington DC Area Piano Party
markb Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Linda in PA:
markb[/b] - no matter how late you come, no matter what your attire (or lack thereof ? ? ? ), you still have to play. Remember, we had an agreement! [/b]
Sure, I remember that we agreed that you'll play, and I'll applaud enthusiastically. I intend to follow through on my end.

#921118 - 06/09/05 12:32 PM Re: Washington DC Area Piano Party
Linda in PA Offline
500 Post Club Member

Now, Mark, I know it will be tempting, but if you applaud too enthusiastically, you might hurt your hands. Then you'd have to play injured . . . but play you will!!!!! And when you're finished, I'll buy you that drink we discussed. ;\)

#921119 - 06/09/05 12:48 PM Re: Washington DC Area Piano Party
markb Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Linda in PA:
Now, Mark, I know it will be tempting, but if you applaud too enthusiastically, you might hurt your hands. [/b]
Don't worry, I'll wear gloves to soften the impact. I also have those inflatable tubes you bang together for noisemakers, and I have the big foam #1 finger imprinted with "Linda in PA" that I'll wave wildly. And, of course, the obligatory cigarette lighter.

#921120 - 06/09/05 03:46 PM Re: Washington DC Area Piano Party
Terrytunes Offline
1000 Post Club Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Linda in PA:
Terry[/b] - the name tags look great!!!! Thanks for the effort. Can we reimburse you for your time and materials?

Linda... 'twas a pleasure to put the tags together for all of you!

About a year ago, the company I work for was updating their badge system and discarding the older style badges; which is what I am using for the PW name tags.

I have offered several times to make name tags for other gatherings but never receive much of a response.

Only request I had was for a group photo with everyone wearing their name tag!

Cathy should receive them by tomorrow's mail. Hopefully she'll let me know. ;\)

#921121 - 06/09/05 07:06 PM Re: Washington DC Area Piano Party
BeeLady Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Massachusetts
To all in the DC area... Have a great time!!! PW parties are the best!

And don't forget to post pictures!!!(lots of 'em! \:D )

Life is like a roll of toilet paper...the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes!

#921122 - 06/09/05 07:13 PM Re: Washington DC Area Piano Party
Piano World Offline

Loc: Parsonsfield, ME (orig. Nahant...
Always happy to see people getting together for PW parties.

Have fun, play lots of music, and yes by all means ... we want pictures!

Best,

- Frank B.
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
Facebook.com/PianoWorldDotCom
Twitter.com/PianoWorld
www.youtube.com/PianoWorldDotCom
Estonia L-190, Yamaha P-80, Hammond XK-3, Hammond A-100, Estey 1895 Pump Organ
-------------------------
It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!
And please invite everyone you know to join our piano forums!
Coming to Maine? We're in Parsonsfield (southwest) let's get together!

#921123 - 06/09/05 08:03 PM Re: Washington DC Area Piano Party
klavierspielerin Offline

Loc: Virginia
Late-breaking news...I'm coming! I posted in the forum, but I forgot this one was here. I'll read back through this thread to get any additional info. But my Saturday plans were cancelled this afternoon, so I'll be there. \:\)

"A verbal art like poetry is reflective; it stops to think. Music is immediate, it goes on to become." --W.H. Auden

#921124 - 06/11/05 09:28 AM Re: Washington DC Area Piano Party
Catlady Offline

Loc: Arlington,VA
Terry --
The name tags have arrived!!!
They're great -- thank you so much!

All the best,
Cathy

#921125 - 06/11/05 10:30 AM Re: Washington DC Area Piano Party
klavierspielerin Offline

I guess I'll show up as "anonymous". ;\)

"A verbal art like poetry is reflective; it stops to think. Music is immediate, it goes on to become." --W.H. Auden

#921126 - 06/11/05 12:57 PM Re: Washington DC Area Piano Party
Sketchee Offline

Loc: Beltsville, MD
Oops why didn't I see this until now. Oh well, too late for me to switch up my plans. Maybe next time.

#921127 - 06/11/05 06:30 PM Re: Washington DC Area Piano Party
kathyk Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Hey! Where are the pics and commentary?

#921128 - 06/12/05 07:02 AM Re: Washington DC Area Piano Party
markb Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Geez, kathy, you wanted a real-time, play-by-play account? We were still partying when you posted!

Anyway, I, for one, had a great time. Everyone was so friendly, and the food was delicious. I got to play on some fantastic pianos. Even better, I heard other attendees play beautifully on them. Very inspiring and humbling. (Wow, do *I* have a long way to go!) I accidentally spilled a whole cup of Sprite on one of the pianos, but I'm hoping Cathy doesn't find out.

Thanks again to Terrytunes for the neato nametags. And, of course, a big thank you to Cathy. Apart from online discussions, I didn't know anyone, but Cathy was a warm and gracious host and made me feel at home immediately. And I also feel deeply honored that among all of those wonderful pianos, Cathy has reserved a special one just for me. It's in a separate room, out of view from the public, so that it doesn't get damaged by other customers.

Plenty of pictures were taken--I just hope I'm not in any that get posted.

#921129 - 06/12/05 08:22 AM Re: Washington DC Area Piano Party
klavierspielerin Offline

LOL Mark!

Yeah, I definitely had a great time. I'm glad I got the opportunity to go. Since the piano I bought is still there, I got a chance to play it some more, and had the pleasure of hearing I. Bruton play a piece on it. Sounded lovely!

And yes, definitely lots of pictures taken!

#921130 - 06/12/05 08:57 AM Re: Washington DC Area Piano Party
Pegg Offline

Hello everyone,

I had a fantastic time, I am glad I went. Thanks Cathy for hosting, what an awsome place. I saw the most magnificent piano, I think it was an AF in Walnut, it was on the row with klavierspielerin's piano, I couldn't keep my eyes off of it. It was definitely nice to put names to faces and talk to different folks about their musical experiences. Thanks for sharing.

Linda, Thanks for insisting that I play something for you it definitely was a morale booster.

Peggy

#921131 - 06/12/05 12:53 PM Re: Washington DC Area Piano Party
markb Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by klavierspielerin:
Since the piano I bought is still there, I got a chance to play it some more, and had the pleasure of hearing I. Bruton play a piece on it. [/b]
Hey klavier, if you get the piano home and it smells like lemon lime and the keys are sticky--I don't know anything about that.

#921132 - 06/12/05 01:09 PM Re: Washington DC Area Piano Party
Terrytunes Offline
1000 Post Club Member

hey mark... No one has mentioned who took all the pics from your gathering but I'm looking forward to updating the avatar image I have of you!!

\:D

#921133 - 06/12/05 01:44 PM Re: Washington DC Area Piano Party
klavierspielerin Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by markb:
 Quote:
Originally posted by klavierspielerin:
Since the piano I bought is still there, I got a chance to play it some more, and had the pleasure of hearing I. Bruton play a piece on it. [/b]
Hey klavier, if you get the piano home and it smells like lemon lime and the keys are sticky--I don't know anything about that. [/b]
LMAO! Fingerprints would be very easy to lift from a sticky mess like that. \:D

I was joking all evening that was going to show up to the party and stand in front of my piano with a big stick to shoo people away. ;\)

#921134 - 06/12/05 04:43 PM Re: Washington DC Area Piano Party
BeeLady Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Massachusetts
Funny, I just checked in to look at PICTURES!!!

Geez, it's been 24 hours already! \:D

Life is like a roll of toilet paper...the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes!

#921135 - 06/12/05 04:47 PM Re: Washington DC Area Piano Party
Ed Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Pensacola, FL
 Quote:
Originally posted by BeeLady:
Funny, I just checked in to look at PICTURES!!!

Geez, it's been 24 hours already! \:D [/b]
Patience!!!!!! (patients????)

I'm working at the hospital all day/night/morning. I'll post pictures once I've had a long nap tomorrow afternoon, or maybe Tuesday, or maybe...

#921136 - 06/12/05 09:16 PM Re: Washington DC Area Piano Party
Linda in PA Offline
500 Post Club Member

Definitely a fantastic piano party.

The Credits:[/b]

Many thanks to Cathy (along with "Mom") for being such a gracious hostess and for providing us with so many beautiful pianos on which to play (more about that, later). Also, thanks to those who helped Cath prep the pianos to perfection. Additional kudos to Ed (for instigating the event), to Carol (for dedication and expertise at the grill), to Terry for the great name tags (I saved mine for re-use at the Westchester, NY party on the 26th) and to my fellow party-goers. It was great to meet all of you!

The Pianos:[/b]

Of the five 9-ft. concert Bechsteins with which Cathy started, only 3 remain - but I doubt they will be there very long. While most of us were busy eating, a few of our very talented forum members played the Bechsteins - giving us a taste of the riches that these pianos are capable of producing.

After the truly gifted had a chance to play these pianos, markb and I took a turn. We quickly realized that a pianist needed to have some chops to be able to drive one of these babies. So, we asked the question: Do two "AB"ers = one competent pianist? The only way to find out was to perform a duet. We selected a piece from one of markb's books and quickly learned that Linda in PA needs to spend more time on hear sightreading skills. \:o We had fun playing together, but I don't think we did justice to these black beauties.

Aside from the "big boys," Cathy has a number of fabulous smaller grands. Two, in particular, caught my attention. One is a Grotrian in a matte wood (walnut?) finish and the other (my personal favorite) is an August Förster 190 in polished flame mahogany. Even though I'm a polished ebony kind of gal, I'd be pleased to own either of these pianos. They are both well balanced, tonally, across the length of the keyboard and they are both easy to play (which this beginner appreciates!). Their actions are neither too "stiff" nor are they so light that you get that feeling of the keys getting away from you. They are simply very comfortable, personable pianos. The tone of the Förster appealed to my ear a bit more than the Grotrian (just an individual preference). It struk me as a very pure, but full-bodied sound. I think this is the piano to which Pegg made reference, above. Someone else described it as "a little bit of heaven." Well, if this is what heaven is like, I no longer fear death (not that I'm anxious to experience it!)

It was also a treat to hear I.Bruton and klavierspielerin (klav) play klav's new AF. It's a fine piano and I wish klav many happy years at the keyboard!

A Few Personal Notes:[/b]

Spin Doctor: I'd like to try those Copeland blues pieces that you performed - thanks for playing them for me. When you have a chance to share the mp3s, I'd be most grateful.

Pegg: I'm really glad that you didn't leave without playing. You did a nice job with the Scarlatti and I found it helpful to hear your interpretation of a piece that I, too, recently played. Thanks!

Clif and markb: All of the members of the ABF should be proud of you! You guys are playing your pieces with enthusiasm - and performing them as well as anyone could!!! Congrats to both of you - I hope you are pleased with the results of your efforts to date.

markb and I.Bruton: I enjoyed our discussion of jazz scales and modes. Thanks for the information. I think those of you who play jazz as well as classical have a big advantage in the theory department. Thanks to the two of you - and the blues inspiration from Spin Doctor - I think I'll do some extra-curricular exploration this summer.

Emanuel Ravelli: Was that a Brahms piece you played toward the end? All I can say is All of the pieces that you played were stunning. I appreciate all of the effort that you put into preparing the music that you shared with us. It was truly special. My humble thanks.

Jim Lobs: I overhead a snipet of conversation in which you mentioned Summer Keys. You left before I had the chance to engage you in a follow-up conversation about that program. Wanted to let you know that Bernard attended Summer Keys - a few times, I believe. If you haven't already done so, you might want to swap stories about your expeience with Bernard.

fmelliot: It was nice chatting with you and learning of your connection to PA. Please keep me posted if you should ever make your way back to the Philly area.

Cathy: You're the best! All of my good wishes for success and happiness. :3hearts:

Thanks, Everyone!!![/b] . . . Linda

#921137 - 06/13/05 05:19 AM Re: Washington DC Area Piano Party
Ermo Offline

I believe that I speak for everyone on the forum when I say...

WHERE THE HECK ARE THE PICTURES?

I think there's something in the rules about having to post photos in a timely manner. This is entirely unacceptable.

#921138 - 06/13/05 06:00 AM Re: Washington DC Area Piano Party
pianocliff Offline

Loc: Washington, DC Metro
Don't have time to post a huge reply here. I just wanted to say I had a great time at the party and send special thanks out to some people...

KLAVIERSPIELERIN
===========================================
Thanks so much for playing the Satie Gymnopedia for me and that Sibelius piece (what was the name of it again?). Your piano rocks BTW!

LINDA IN PA
===============
If "Linda in PA" ever tells anynone she can't play again don't believe her! She is way too modest about her ability. If I could have 1/2 the technique she has in a year I'd be completely satisfied with myself.

Emanuel Ravelli
=================
I liked the Debussy piece you played and thought it was my favorite until you played the Brahm's piece (don't remember the name). Absolutely excellent playing, what can I say except you must be very proud of your pianistic accomplishments.

Spindoctor
===================
Playing like Bill Evan's Ghost, spindoctor keep the party hoping into the night. Markb and I were lucky enough to get a few tips from him about how to go about aquiring good jazz techinque.

Thanks again to Ed, Carol and of course Cathy for putting the whole show together. I was really glad I got to come and be inspired by all of you.

~pianocliff

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
104 registered (15shoes, 36251, A Guy, aesop, accordeur, 34 invisible), 1056 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75984 Members
42 Forums
157154 Topics
2308069 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New start - wish me good luck:)
by FarmGirl
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Automatic Piano Players...
by tksler
Yesterday at 10:33 PM
No one home?
by ScottM
Yesterday at 08:05 PM
Prokofiev's 5 piano concertos, live: Marinskij/Gergiev etc
by fnork
Yesterday at 07:36 PM
Has anyone here studied with S. Babayan
by Serge Marinkovic
Yesterday at 07:05 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission