Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#921139 - 06/13/05 06:15 AM Re: Washington DC Area Piano Party
markb Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maryland
 Quote:
Originally posted by Terrytunes:
hey mark... No one has mentioned who took all the pics from your gathering but I'm looking forward to updating the avatar image I have of you!!

\:D [/b]
I'm not in any of the pictures. You may not believe this, but my evil twin brother, who does not play the piano, tied me up while I was getting ready for the party, and he went instead of me. So, the guy in the pictures with the markb nametag, who said he was markb, was actually marcb, and the reason he/I sounded so bad at the piano is because he's never played before.

Yes, that's exactly what happened. I'll try to make the next party.

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
#921140 - 06/13/05 07:51 AM Re: Washington DC Area Piano Party
klavierspielerin Offline

Loc: Virginia
 Quote:
Originally posted by pianocliff:
Don't have time to post a huge reply here. I just wanted to say I had a great time at the party and send special thanks out to some people...

KLAVIERSPIELERIN
===========================================
Thanks so much for playing the Satie Gymnopedia for me and that Sibelius piece (what was the name of it again?). Your piano rocks BTW!

~pianocliff [/b]
You're very welcome! As I said, I'm a big fan of that piece as well. And I'm not sure what that Sibelius piece was. It was in one of Cathy's books. I've never played it before, or heard it before! I guess I should have paid attention! \:D

"A verbal art like poetry is reflective; it stops to think. Music is immediate, it goes on to become." --W.H. Auden

#921141 - 06/13/05 07:58 AM Re: Washington DC Area Piano Party
Spin Doctor Offline

Loc: Maryland, USA
It was indeed a great time! The food, the friends, everything was perfect. We heard some amazing performances that night and Emanuel did a performance of The Sunken Cathedral that really should be recorded. It was truly amazing...

Linda, I'll get those Copland recordings to you probably by this weekend.

Markb, the book I was discussing with you is called "Jazz Keyboard Harmony" by Phil DeGreg. Here is a link.
Link for book

Thanks to Cathy for hosting and Ed for coordinating and motivating! We could not have done it without you.

-- Winston Churchill

#921142 - 06/13/05 08:00 AM Re: Washington DC Area Piano Party
Ermo Offline

Klavier, do you have the photos?

Markb, do you have the photos?

Pianocliff? Linda? Ed? Pegg? Cathy?

Who has the photos?

#921143 - 06/13/05 08:06 AM Re: Washington DC Area Piano Party
Ermo Offline

Spin Doctor, do you have the photos?

#921144 - 06/13/05 08:07 AM Re: Washington DC Area Piano Party
markb Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Photos? We don't need no stinking photos!

If you desperately need images, then next time you'll attend. What goes on at a piano party should remain secret, known only to those who attend. We wouldn't want everyone else to know how Cathy plied us with lemon liqueur from Italy, how I was too drunk to remember how I got home, and how I woke up the next day with an invoice in my hands from Harl Pianos indicating that I purchased one of those 9' Bechstein's--delivery scheduled for Wednesday.

#921145 - 06/13/05 08:09 AM Re: Washington DC Area Piano Party
Spin Doctor Offline

Loc: Maryland, USA
No, I don't have the photos...I forgot to charge my camera before coming

I believe Catlady and Ed have them.

Hey Mark, can I play on your new piano?

-- Winston Churchill

#921146 - 06/13/05 08:11 AM Re: Washington DC Area Piano Party
klavierspielerin Offline

*shoves markb out of the way*

Whoever was able to hold the camera steady after several glasses of wine is the lucky one who will post the pictures.

"A verbal art like poetry is reflective; it stops to think. Music is immediate, it goes on to become." --W.H. Auden

#921147 - 06/13/05 08:13 AM Re: Washington DC Area Piano Party
markb Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Spin Doctor:
Hey Mark, can I play on your new piano? [/b]
Sure! Everyone over to my house for the next DC piano party! :rolleyes:

#921148 - 06/13/05 08:17 AM Re: Washington DC Area Piano Party
Ermo Offline

What happens at Harl's stays at Harl's.

Maybe you all should have been a little suspicious at how willing Cathy was to host this shindig. She is a sharp business woman.

But does she have the photos?

#921149 - 06/13/05 09:23 AM Re: Washington DC Area Piano Party
klavierspielerin Offline

Maybe.

#921150 - 06/13/05 12:11 PM Re: Washington DC Area Piano Party
I. Bruton Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Raleigh
My first piano party....

What a terrific time. I spent most of my time sitting and talking with pianocliff, klavierspielerin (and Mom!), markb (or his evil twin, I couldn't tell them apart), and Linda in PA (who plays quite well, uh hum, for a beginner who I would have guessed has many years of experience!).

Emanual Raveli:
We didn't actually get to meet, but your playing was very well done! I listened very intently and let me tell you, you have quite a talent for correct interpretation of classical/romantic music! Highly impressive!

To Cathy:
You were so gracious to host this party, and as we say in the south....you're as sweet as iced tea! I'm sorry I didn't get back to the store on Sunday, but the wife and kid had other plans (basically a full day of riding to and fro on the metro).

To Sally:
It was so nice talking with you. You have such a wealth of knowledge that I could have listened forever! BTW, that 6'4" model may come home with me one day (unless I try out a 7 footer). If you're in Raleigh ('cause I'm gonna put a fire under Michael Hannah's butt) then look me up.

To Kim:
What a majestic instrument you have been given. It was an honor to play for you and the others on such a fine instrument. That piano will be esp. good for the Romantics. You're a wonderful player and I can't wait to hear you again!

To markb:
Next time...I would have enjoyed talking with you and Linda longer. Maybe next time!

Let me know when the next party is!
High School Choral Director
Church Music Director
Pianos owned: Yamaha C3
Pianos at work: Yamaha P22, Kawai K3, Steinway B

#921151 - 06/13/05 12:16 PM Re: Washington DC Area Piano Party
Ermo Offline

I. Bruton, do you have the photos?

#921152 - 06/13/05 12:23 PM Re: Washington DC Area Piano Party
I. Bruton Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Raleigh
sorry...that information is classified!
High School Choral Director
Church Music Director
Pianos owned: Yamaha C3
Pianos at work: Yamaha P22, Kawai K3, Steinway B

#921153 - 06/13/05 12:43 PM Re: Washington DC Area Piano Party
jodi Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Evergreen State (WA)
Wow, how fun, wish I could have been there! I can't wait to see the photos!

\:D \:D \:D

Jodi

#921154 - 06/13/05 01:07 PM Re: Washington DC Area Piano Party
markb Offline
2000 Post Club Member

If you're really looking forward to seeing the photos, you'll be blown away by the video!

#921155 - 06/13/05 01:42 PM Re: Washington DC Area Piano Party
pianocliff Offline

Loc: Washington, DC Metro
I think the video is slated for limited syndication markb, something about decency laws being stricter in other states....

~pianocliff

#921156 - 06/13/05 01:59 PM Re: Washington DC Area Piano Party
Pegg Offline

Ermo,

I saw a couple of cameras floating around but I don't know if the cameras remembered they took the pictures. Maybe you will see something soon.

Peggy

#921157 - 06/13/05 02:17 PM Re: Washington DC Area Piano Party
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: boston north
Yeah!

Finally, some party reports! Do you know how much all of us wanted to be there with you? And now we need to live vicariously through snips and pics!

We wanna see who you are, where you were, what you played, who did what and with whom and see more of the pianos!!!

Hey...we shared out New England outings with you.

;-)

Next year...maybe.

Roberta

#921158 - 06/13/05 04:52 PM Re: Washington DC Area Piano Party
BeeLady Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Massachusetts
Perhaps there was a courtroom sketch artist in attendance????? :rolleyes:

Pleasant dreams, Ed! :p

Life is like a roll of toilet paper...the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes!

#921159 - 06/13/05 05:17 PM Re: Washington DC Area Piano Party
Emanuel Ravelli Offline
500 Post Club Member

There are so many folks to thank for the fine time my wife and I enjoyed Saturday night that I don't know where to start. The biggest thanks belong to Cathy Harl, who opened her gorgeous showroom and trusted us to be near those amazing pianos with sticky food and good wine. Ed and Carol also deserve special gratitude for the work that went into preparing and cooking the food. It smelled so good on the sidewalk, I almost didn't make it inside.

After that, in no particular order:

Linda in PA -- thanks for suffering through the horrors of I-95 gridlock to drive all the way from Bucks County, PA to join us. I know you and Cathy are friends, but that's still above and beyond the call. Hope you had a smoother trip home. (Glad you liked my last piece. It was Brahms Intermezzo in A, Op. 118 No. 2 -- one of my all time favorites.)

JPM and FMElliott -- it was good to see both of you again. Maybe next time I'll get to hear you play (though I guess I'll have to go to Heidelberg to hear JPM after the end of the month -- good luck to you and your wife in your first post-retirement gig!).

I.Bruton -- I'm sorry too that we didn't hook up, since we'd have had a few things to talk about. My wife and I graduated from Duke, and an old acquaintance from those days, John Ruggero, still teaches piano down there. We're thinking about looking into retirement possibilities in NC -- perhaps you'll have some good advice for us at the next one of these affairs.

Spin Doctor -- I can't tell you how much I enjoyed your renditions of Copland, Bill Evans, etc. You play with genuine feeling, and your technique is mighty fine as well. Keep working, and tell that lovely lady you were with (Leslie?) that she must like you a lot to put up with the bunch of us for a whole Saturday night.

Sally -- we've only spoken twice, but your enthusiasm for music, the glorious instruments you work with, and life in general is contagious. Bechstein is very lucky to have you.

Jim and Maureen from Omaha -- if you ever need proof that PWF members aren't stuffed shirts, ask these folks. An older couple from Omaha in town for a national meeting of State Boards of Education, they were enticed in our direction by the smells from Carol's grill, had no idea what was going on but came in anyway and enjoyed lively conversations with several of us. Good luck to their Nebraska Cornhuskers in the College World Series.

And finally, thanks to Cathy's mysterious logistical support system, John, for sharing one of the toughest etudes Chopin ever wrote. Don't sweat those speed bumps on the last page -- just keep practicing, and one day soon it will all flow together like rich cream.

Well, it's dinner time here now, so I have to run. Thanks again to Cathy, Ed, Carol and all others for a memorable evening. Let's do this again some time soon.

#921160 - 06/13/05 07:45 PM Re: Washington DC Area Piano Party
kathyk Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
 Quote:
Originally posted by markb:
Geez, kathy, you wanted a real-time, play-by-play account? We were still partying when you posted!

Anyway, I, for one, had a great time. Everyone was so friendly, and the food was delicious. I got to play on some fantastic pianos. Even better, I heard other attendees play beautifully on them. Very inspiring and humbling. (Wow, do *I* have a long way to go!) I accidentally spilled a whole cup of Sprite on one of the pianos, but I'm hoping Cathy doesn't find out.

Thanks again to Terrytunes for the neato nametags. And, of course, a big thank you to Cathy. Apart from online discussions, I didn't know anyone, but Cathy was a warm and gracious host and made me feel at home immediately. And I also feel deeply honored that among all of those wonderful pianos, Cathy has reserved a special one just for me. It's in a separate room, out of view from the public, so that it doesn't get damaged by other customers.

Plenty of pictures were taken--I just hope I'm not in any that get posted. [/b]
Well doggone, party boy, I sure hope someone delivers. (Aren't these things fun !!)

#921161 - 06/13/05 07:46 PM Re: Washington DC Area Piano Party
kathyk Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by klavierspielerin:
LOL Mark!

Yeah, I definitely had a great time. I'm glad I got the opportunity to go. Since the piano I bought is still there, I got a chance to play it some more, and had the pleasure of hearing I. Bruton play a piece on it. Sounded lovely!

And yes, definitely lots of pictures taken! [/b]
Yikes, hopefully not the one Mark spilt the Koolaid on!

#921162 - 06/13/05 07:49 PM Re: Washington DC Area Piano Party
kathyk Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ermo:
I believe that I speak for everyone on the forum when I say...

WHERE THE HECK ARE THE PICTURES?

I think there's something in the rules about having to post photos in a timely manner. This is entirely unacceptable. [/b]
I totally agree. Unacceptable. Out with them now!

#921163 - 06/14/05 10:30 AM Re: Washington DC Area Piano Party
fmelliott Offline
500 Post Club Member

Now I will try to say a few words about the party. First, Cathy really outdid herself on the food and indeed the decorations. There were sparkles on the table cloths and we all looked like Liberace before the evening was over. Even the candles were unusual with the one on my table being a multi wick creation from an immense block of wax.

The portobello mushrooms were great and the shrimp perfect. I don't know what to call the beef circles with cheese in them, but they went down awfully well. There were 3 kinds of barbecue, salmon, pork, and chicken. There was pasta and salad as well. Lots of nuts and cheese. I fuly expected to wind up in a diabetic comma, but the conversation kept the nibbling in line and the next day the scale didn't swear at me.

No one has mentioned Ulrich Sauter. He is a very able and charming individual. I shamelessly picked his brain for information about German piano making. After the 5 generations or more his family have spent on piano building, he really knows the business. What is more, he is a great party animal. If I remember correctly he has made several PW parties.

Sally Phillips was a joy to chat with and helped open new horizons on early 19th century piano inlay and veneer work. Sally, what was the name of that wonder product for managing moisture in pianos???

As to pictures, I did not take any. I took and posted some last time, and got out the door this time without a camera. Cathy did get some and so did others.

The playing was really quite fine. I enjoyed Spin Doctor's work and Emmanuel's and Klavier's on her wonderful new Forster. Others deserve mention, but I am not good with names. Take it from me they were all well worth hearing.

No one mentioned Cathy's cartoonist friend who showed up. He came complete with a wonderful framed cartoon of Cathy with the wildest hairdo!!! He also had an inscribed book of work for her. He is a nationally know cartoonist, but as you might guess, I can't remember his name.

I thought several members with only limited years of lessons did extremely well! Linda in Pa really made me think about how to enjoy lessons and receitals by telling about having written pieces to play at receitals.

I regret not getting to talk to everyone. The night was far too short. We could easily have used another day. In fact I did use some of another day after making a wrong turn onto the Beltway, I headed for Maryland and only got home to Virginia after midnight.

#921164 - 06/14/05 12:46 PM Re: Washington DC Area Piano Party
Catlady Offline

Loc: Arlington,VA
Hi guys --
Thanks so much for attending what turned out to be a really fun party. We had 30+ in attendance (including spouses, gatecrashers and "secret" special guests).
A special thanks to Ed and Carol (the grill mistress).
Where to start?......
Well, I threw the last guest (Ulrich) out at around 1:40, got home around 2-ish, crashed and burned til it was time to go to work on Sunday. Then on Monday I took Ulrich sightseeing in DC -- all the monuments, Kennedy Center, the White House, out to eat, then dumped him at the airport to fly to Kansas City for the PTG convention. That's why I haven't posted til now.
I really enjoyed everyone's playing -- hope to hear SpinMaster again some day. I LOVE Bill Evans.
Linda -- you are NO beginner!
I. Bruton and Klav -- that August Forster never sounded better!
Phil Bjorlo -- what can I say? -- Absolutely gorgeous playing - makes us all want to practice more!
Paul Milesi (one of my techs) really did a nice job on some old jazz standards.
I think everyone enjoyed walking around trying their pieces on the different brands of pianos.
Of course Markb's performance on his "special" piano was unforgettable.
JPM -- we're all going to miss you -- good luck on your move.
Sally -- it was great having you here -- you answered any questions asked of you, but nary a sales pitch was heard. Good Girl!
Ulrich -- How can we all express how happy we were to have you here? (He made a 4 day "pit stop" on his way to PTG -- he LOVES PW parties).
Richard Thompson is the name of the cartoonist that was here (Wash Post on Sat & Sun -- it's called "Cul de sac")
I would love to host another party here -- maybe in the Fall?
I'll post some pictures (don't worry Markb -- not the "back room" ones) later this afternoon. John has to help me -- I'm hopeless with computer stuff.
love and kisses,
Cathy :3hearts:

#921165 - 06/14/05 03:23 PM Re: Washington DC Area Piano Party
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: boston north
ooooooh!

Even Ulrich Sauter was there? No fair, no fair, no fair! We want him in NE too! Boy, would I have loved to spend an evening talking to him. Wonderful deep woods sound on the upright I am interested in!

You guys sound like you had a great time. Thanks for sharing with us.

And I would love to talk more with Sally, and Cathy, and..., and....

WHO HAS THE PICS?

asks the lady who vicariously is visiting your function...

Roberta

#921166 - 06/14/05 04:40 PM Re: Washington DC Area Piano Party
Linda in PA Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: PA - USA
 Quote:
Originally posted by Catlady:

I would love to host another party here -- maybe in the Fall?[/b]

That would be fantastic, Cathy. But let's avoid 10/14 through 10/23 - I'll be at piano camp.

Saturday, September 10th would be a good day - can't think of a better way to spend my birthday!

#921167 - 06/14/05 07:32 PM Re: Washington DC Area Piano Party
markb Offline
2000 Post Club Member

What's this? We haven't even seen the pix from the last one, and we're already planning the next one? That's crazy.

September 10th is my high school reunion, so I'm out that day. ;\)

#921168 - 06/14/05 09:43 PM Re: Washington DC Area Piano Party
klavierspielerin Offline

High school reunion? Aw....I won't ask which one. \:D

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
146 registered (36251, A Guy, A Flat Minor, Adypiano, 40 invisible), 1693 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75560 Members
42 Forums
156223 Topics
2294356 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What IS this song? (And yes, I mean "song"!)
by TwoSnowflakes
07/28/14 09:35 AM
Kawai Cp200 repair needed
by Walks
07/28/14 08:52 AM
BALDWIN R vs. STEINWAY M
by Karl Watson
07/28/14 08:11 AM
Best Digital Piano for Touch
by JoeCPiano
07/28/14 04:50 AM
Happy Birthday Cinnamonbear!
by Kuanpiano
07/27/14 11:17 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission