Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#921290 - 06/18/06 04:46 PM Cathy Harl - Thank You
s54mo827 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Just wanted to say thank you, Cathy. I had a really nice time at the piano party last evening. You have a stunning showroom, full of magnificent grande beasts, each one more beautiful and dramatic than the next. My favorite I must say is the Bohemia Piano in the window - sitting so pretty - and playing so light to my touch. It was a priviledge to play such an instrument. All the instruments, really, just marvelous. You were the perfect hostess and I just had a wonderful time. To all, I very much enjoyed meeting you and getting to know some of you better (the persona behind the avatar). I look forward again to meeting with you.

The best to you, and God Bless!
With kind regards,
Sharon \:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv7-qjprix4

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
#921291 - 06/18/06 05:22 PM Re: Cathy Harl - Thank You
Piano*Dad Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
I'll add my thanks as well. What a gracious way of bringing piano enthusiasts together in the most congenial circumstances imaginable. Thank you again, from me and from Anthony.

Best,

David
Grotrian 192 #156455

https://www.youtube.com/user/dhfeld/videos

#921292 - 06/18/06 06:36 PM Re: Cathy Harl - Thank You
s54mo827 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Dave,
It was really great meeting you. You are a really talented pianist. I enjoy listening to your son, Anthony, too. He's an extremely talented young man - definitely going places - wherever he wants to go.

I had a nice time. I think you did, too, but the look on your face all evening. It was truly an enjoyable gathering of piano enthusiasts. Not one that I was easily ever forget!

Peace!
Sharon

#921293 - 06/18/06 07:43 PM Re: Cathy Harl - Thank You
Linda in PA Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: PA - USA
Cathy,

Thanks for yet another great piano party!!! It was a treat to see you and the gang, again, and to meet a few new people. My one regret is that markb didn't let me play his "special" piano this time. Sheesh!

Mark's piano aside, I need to put in a plug for your showroom. Anyone in VA looking for a new piano would do well to visit Cathy's showroom. She has a wonderful variety of instruments (Sauter, Bechstein, Grotrian, August Foerster, Bohemia) - all of which are well maintained. I enjoyed playing and listening to others play these pianos last night. Cathy, it is very generous of you to open you showroom to us for these paino parties. You're the best.

#921294 - 06/18/06 08:49 PM Re: Cathy Harl - Thank You
Pegg Offline

Loc: Maryland
My thanks also to Cathy for a wonderful time and good food. I had a great time seeing everyone and meeting new folks. I really enjoyed playing the Sauter. Piano Dad, WOW, your son is fantastic. I enjoyed listening to him play. I am impressed, especially when he told me how old he was, he is definitely going to be something else.

Thanks Linda, it was great seeing you again. I appreciate you making me play in front of you at the first party, since that time I have participated in four recitals. I had such fear of doing this. I want to also thank those that heard me yesterday and clapped, I did not think anyone was listening because everyone was busy chatting. Thanks so much, I feel I can definitely keep playing in front of others. What a way for us shy folks to come out.

Peggy

#921295 - 06/18/06 08:54 PM Re: Cathy Harl - Thank You
kathyk Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
That's so true, Pegg. That's one of the great things about these parties - - the opportunity to play for others who are totally supportive and appreciate - whatever our level. We're all just a bunch of piano-philes looking to stoke our love of the piany.

#921296 - 06/18/06 11:10 PM Re: Cathy Harl - Thank You
Piano*Dad Offline

Kathy: That is so true. I felt so comfortable playing last night for exactly that reason. Also, I knew that not everyone was listening carefully. ;\)

Sharon and Pegg: Thanks. We're all like kids in a candy store there. I'm sure I had quite a grin.

Linda: I saw those badges! Quite cool. They're very practical too. It saves all those awkward questions ...like "Hello Larry, and what is your PW name. Oh, you're Larry FINE. Well, do you have an avatar?"

David
Grotrian 192 #156455

#921297 - 06/18/06 11:33 PM Re: Cathy Harl - Thank You
Piano Again Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Washington metro
I'd like to add my thanks to Cathy for hosting the party. I was too shy to talk to many people, but it was very interesting chatting with Larry Fine, Bernard, Linda, Peggy, and Peter Moll, and to hear Piano*Dad and Piano*Son. My husband also enjoyed it. We both liked the Grotrian on the front left side of the store, although all the pianos sounded great.

Check out my blog !

#921298 - 06/18/06 11:51 PM Re: Cathy Harl - Thank You
Bernard Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Groton, NH
Let me add my voice to the chorus of thank you's Cathy. I had a great time. You are a perfect hostess and great cook. It was very generous of you to open your store to us and prepare all that food. Thank you's to your mom for the cheesecake, it was great.

It was really nice to visit again with those I met last fall and to learn a little more about each of you. It was also nice to meet some of you for the first time.

The pianos are all gorgeous. Oh swoon. I agree with those partial to the Bohemia in the window--that's quite a nice piano. I'm partial to its tone. I also enjoyed playing the Grotrian and the concert Bechstein in the center of the back wall. It sure was fun to play some Brahms on it.

I'm blown away by Piano*Dad's son's playing. Incredible. He's a very talented young man.

I have 11 pictures to post but I'll wait and do it tomorrow from my computer at work since I have a slow connection here at home.

Thank you Cathy. ;\)

#921299 - 06/18/06 11:53 PM Re: Cathy Harl - Thank You
I. Bruton Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Raleigh
Dearest Cathy;

I'm not sure if there is an adequate adjective to describe your generosity, your outgoing personality, and your genuine love for the art that is the piano.

Thank-you so much for a wonderful evening! As always, you were the greatest host, a kind friend, and a true gem of a person. I consider it an honor to know you.

LindainPA - The improv session was fun, though I won't remember much of it! Maybe we can put some of those ideas on paper one day. I enjoyed seeing you again.

Piano*Dad & Son, I regret that I was so wrapped up in the improvising and other discussions that we didn't meet face to face. But, I wanted to tell you that I was quite impressed with Anthony's skills....no wait, actually at first I was really ticked! I didn't have near the talent when I was his age! Keep up the good work.

Pegg, I enjoyed meeting you. That S&S B will be a majestic instrument for years to come. It would be a shame not to share it! ;-)

Sally, so great to see you again. I appreciate your knowledge and insight so much. If there is ever anything I can do for you, please don't hesitate to let me know. Tell your husband that I, too, would like to meet him. We can share war stories from the ministry!

See you all again soon!
High School Choral Director
Church Music Director
Pianos owned: Yamaha C3
Pianos at work: Yamaha P22, Kawai K3, Steinway B

#921300 - 06/19/06 10:10 AM Re: Cathy Harl - Thank You
markb Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I'm going to pile on here and add my gratitude to Cathy for hosting yet another wonderful evening. And the fireworks display was just another touch that you don't get at other piano parties.

The level of accomplishment that I've observed at these parties is humbling--especially when it comes from someone who is one-third my age. Maybe humbling isn't the right word--I'll go with humiliating. But I really mean that in the best way! \:\) Kudos to Piano*Son for achieving such a level of proficiency, and to Piano*Dad for nurturing that innate talent! (It's obvious from where *Son gets his talent.)

Mr. Bruton, while we met at Cathy's before, I don't know if I had really listened to you play. But Saturday night--wow! That's about all I can say.

Kokomo61 and Sharon took care of the popular music side. I missed Spin Doctor's jazz, though, and his lessons that go right over my head.

My post also incorporates, by reference, all of the comments of previous posts in this thread regarding all of the other named attendees.

#921301 - 06/19/06 10:26 AM Re: Cathy Harl - Thank You
s54mo827 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
We're all like kids in a candy store there.
David, if I may use this quote - it is certainly appropriate for the way I felt (feel, actually). And these feelings are still lingering. They will for the longest, LONGEST time. We were in a peppermint, chocolate piano candy store (fill in any candy that's your favourite)... and it was wonderful.

Very talented group of people.

I was so happy that I was among the "players" and not a spectator.

Life's too short not to jump in - and we all did!

Lovely & Exquisite evening. \:D

#921302 - 06/19/06 10:45 AM Re: Cathy Harl - Thank You
Piano*Dad Offline

Isaac: I was listening to you play ..in awe. I'm one of those who has always had to stick to the score, so improvisation is an art that always amazes me. Next time we'll have to talk. Anthony should sit and listen to you and Kokomo61 play.

Bernard: I got home and dusted off several volumes of Chopin. You've inspired me to give him a try once again.

Peter: Really good talking to you. I remember coming over and finding you and Anthony deep in a very serious discussion of technique. You were treating him like an adult, and he responded quite well. BTW, as another economist on PW I expect you to chime in when people say 'interesting' things about markets! ;\)

PianoAgain: I have it on good authority that Cathy would love to sell one of those Grotrians to you. \:D I'll vouch for their quality!

Sally: Good to meet you. That was a fascinating conversation. Thank you for your insights. I think you were deep in a conversation with Cathy when Anthony sat down at the mid-sized C.Bechstein and belted out Pirates of the Caribbean. He clearly drowned out your conversation for a couple of minutes. Apologies! \:D

Again, what a fabulous evening. Can't wait to do it again.
Grotrian 192 #156455

#921303 - 06/19/06 01:55 PM Re: Cathy Harl - Thank You
markb Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Anthony sat down at the mid-sized C.Bechstein and belted out Pirates of the Caribbean.
This rocked.

#921304 - 06/20/06 07:55 PM Re: Cathy Harl - Thank You
Bernard Offline
3000 Post Club Member

My apologies for the delay in posting these pictures. I had company last night (someone we all know! \:\) ). So here they are, sorry the quality is not so good.

OK--I'm having problems remembering a few names. My apologies, I'm not so good with names especially when getting a slew of new ones in the same evening. Please provide missing blanks if you can.

I believe this is Peggy at the piano, s54mo827 is in the back to the left. 'Piano Again' and husband in center:

s54mo827 and markb:

??? and ???:

???, ???, Mr. Sauter:

A gang:

#921305 - 06/20/06 08:00 PM Re: Cathy Harl - Thank You
Bernard Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Piano*Dad's son, Peter Moll (in back--on left: Larry Fine, on right: markb, kokomo61)

s54mo827:

Cathy's COOL bookcase:

Linda in PA, I. Bruton, markb, s54mo827:

Cathy Harl, George?

kokomo61's back, Larry Fine in front right, Piano*Dad's son at end of table with hand on head, Piano*Dad on right in back, Peter Moll on right behind Larry Fine. Unsure of names of people on the left:

#921306 - 06/20/06 08:54 PM Re: Cathy Harl - Thank You
markb Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Top picture, Piano Again and husband.

#921307 - 06/20/06 09:07 PM Re: Cathy Harl - Thank You
Bernard Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Thanks, markb.

#921308 - 06/20/06 09:20 PM Re: Cathy Harl - Thank You
Piano*Dad Offline

To the left of Anthony (Piano*Son) is Chris Pfund, the owner of Piano Clearing House of Westchester ( PianoClearingHouse ). To Chris's right is Sally Phillips of Bechstein USA. To her right, and opposite Larry Fine, is another gentleman named Larry.

P.S. The piano Peter Moll is playing (with Anthony watching) is the fabulous Sauter Delta 'Amadeus' with the bone keys and rosewood/ebony sharps. I believe the flame mahagony piano that I.Bruton is playing is a Foerster.
Grotrian 192 #156455

#921309 - 06/20/06 09:39 PM Re: Cathy Harl - Thank You
kathyk Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Great pics, guys!

#921310 - 06/20/06 09:51 PM Re: Cathy Harl - Thank You
kennnnny Offline

Loc: Near Los Angeles California
Fun Fun Fun

Love piano parties and pics!!!!

#921311 - 06/21/06 01:18 AM Re: Cathy Harl - Thank You
Terrytunes Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Tewksbury MA
Thanks for the pics, Bernard!!

Great to see everyone enjoying themselves.

P.S. Terrytunes: I wore my super-duper ID badge (as did Peggy)[/b]

Linda & Pegg... yous good girls!!! \:D

#921312 - 06/21/06 07:58 AM Re: Cathy Harl - Thank You
s54mo827 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Bernard!

The pictures are amazing! Thank you for capturing on film for ever and ever such a great time! Wow!

Everybody looks fantastic - and sooooo deep in either conversation or focusing on a piece.

Just beautiful!

Peace to you! \:D
Sharon

#921313 - 06/21/06 02:00 PM Re: Cathy Harl - Thank You
s54mo827 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Bernard,

My only regret is that nobody turned the camera on you. You are a very dashing person. It would have been nice to have a picture of you. All I have is my memory (for the time being, at least, hehehe). Thank you again, B.

Peace. \:\)

#921314 - 06/22/06 08:34 PM Re: Cathy Harl - Thank You
Pegg Offline

The third picture is my friend David and his son Brian. Brian recently started taking lessons and I thought he would really get inspired by coming to the party. He is so excited and thanks to Anthony for talking to him. Brian wants to practice those three hours a day so he can play like him some day. Thanks again to Cathy who let me invite David and Brian.

Terrytunes: That name tag will last me forever, they were so nicely done. I put it back in its's special place waiting for the next party.

Peggy

#921315 - 06/22/06 08:38 PM Re: Cathy Harl - Thank You
Pegg Offline

Bernard,

Thanks for the pictures, very nice. Yes, that first picture is me. I will treasure that forever, my first photograph at the piano.

Peggy

#921316 - 06/23/06 11:46 AM Re: Cathy Harl - Thank You
Piano*Dad Offline

Peggy,

Did Anthony really say something about practicing three hours per day? Now, if only I could actually GET him to practice like that. \:D

We talked about 3 hours per day in the summer, when all other minor distractions -- like school -- aren't present. But the kid has so little real summer that this isn't likely to happen. 'Real Summer' is defined as lazing around the house saying things like "I'm bored!" Alas, poor Anthony gets packed off to Franklin & Marshall tomorrow for a three week course. Don't feel too sorry for him. He chose it! And then we head off on what people call 'vacation' but which we all know is a lot of work. He'll get maybe four weeks of real down time before school starts in September.
Grotrian 192 #156455

#921317 - 06/24/06 12:17 AM Re: Cathy Harl - Thank You
Pegg Offline

Piano Dad,

Brian probably asked him how much he practices. Brian thinks he will never be able to play difficult pieces. I think he told him he didn't do it all at one time. Brian was so impressed he just knows he has to practice, practice, to get where he wants to go with piano. He gets his dad to call me up and he will play for me. It looks like your son is going to have a full summer. Have fun on your vacation.

#921318 - 07/07/06 10:20 PM Re: Cathy Harl - Thank You
Jeanne W Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New England
My husband and I had the opportunity to meet Cathy during my piano search a couple of years ago. I could say a lot of things about Cathy (she's TERRIFIC!) but I'd simply be repeating what all of you have already said.

Wish I (we, my hubby, too) could have been there, Cathy! We would have liked to see you again! Congrats on your great party!

Hey, Cathy: Are those Grotrians, Estonias and Bohemias, etc. etc. flying out the door??? I should think so!

Jeanne W

1920 Steinway A3
My Piano Delivery Thread:
http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/1/8776.html#000000

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
MX100A Disklavier Field Service Manual-Wanted
by Shacky
4 minutes 38 seconds ago
To bid.....or not to bid
by Bob
Today at 04:10 PM
Kawai ES100 splitting point
by tower120
Today at 03:54 PM
Is it really necessary to practice scales?
by rov
Today at 02:42 PM
Connect virtual piano to a loopstation?
by Fannix-kun
Today at 01:58 PM
Who's Online
137 registered (anamnesis, ajames, accordeur, 35 invisible), 1915 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76594 Members
42 Forums
158384 Topics
2325763 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission