Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#921480 - 10/05/05 11:36 PM And may I introduce to you....
Terrytunes Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Tewksbury MA
John Citron!!... one of our newer MA members who joined us for a small, sort of last minute, gathering which was hosted by Jeanne W. on Tues evening.

It certainly was a pleasure to finally meet up with John after reading many thoughtful and inspiring posts he has shared with members on this board.

John awed us with his playing of a few Chopin Nocturnes. He first played Nocturne #1 and since this is a piece I have been working on for awhile, it was wonderful to hear it played "live". I have a long way to go before perfecting this piece but was truly inspired by John's performance.

Jeanne delighted us with her new and latest "gems" that she has composed this year alone! All of you who enjoyed following Jeanne's piano purchase will be pleased to know that Jeanne is enjoying many hours of musical pleasure on her beautiful grand.

And Bee, as exhausted as she was from her newly appointed role in her life, stepped up to the bench and entertained us with a piece of music written by PW member Kreisler.

On with the pics.... I don't expect anyone will have any problems figuring out who John is!! Jeanne is on the left, Bee next to John and as for myself... well, I'm just in the "pink" of things!! :p

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
#921481 - 10/06/05 05:26 PM Re: And may I introduce to you....
Bernard Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Groton, NH
WOW, great pics, Terrytunes!! Thanks for the report too. \:\)

Everyone looks great!

Jeanne W.,
Your place is fantastic! How beautiful.

I forgot what kind of piano you have. The wood is gorgeous.

#921482 - 10/06/05 05:42 PM Re: And may I introduce to you....
John Citron Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Haverhill, Massachusetts
Thank you Terrytunes for posting the pictures.

Many thank yous to JeanneW for hosting the gathering, and letting me play her wonderful Steinwa! The instrument has such a beautiful touch and tone. I had so much fun, I kept the party going in my head and didn't sleep a wink all night.

John \:D

#921483 - 10/06/05 06:03 PM Re: And may I introduce to you....
Jeanne W Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New England
Thanks, Everyone, for coming! It was good seeing you again, Terrytunes and BeeLady, and meeting you, John. I enjoyed hearing each of you play: Terrytunes, your ragtime brought my piano alive; Beelady, the piece you played by a PW member, Kreisler, was a real treat, and John, your Chopin led us away to another place. \:\)

John, I have to thank you for playing one of my pieces of music. You said sight reading is your forte - yes, that's true, in addition to being a wonderful pianist, you are a great sight reader!

OH, AND JOHN...you send a thank you for playing my "wonderful Steinwa!" WHAT'S A STEINWA??? \:D \:D \:D

Jeanne W

1920 Steinway A3
My Piano Delivery Thread:
http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/1/8776.html#000000

#921484 - 10/06/05 09:28 PM Re: And may I introduce to you....
John Citron Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeanne W:
Thanks, Everyone, for coming! It was good seeing you again, Terry and Kerri, and meeting you, John. I enjoyed hearing each of you play: Terry, your ragtime brought my piano alive; Kerri, the piece you played by a PW member, Kreissler, was a real treat, and John, your Chopin led us away to another place. \:\)

John, I have to thank you for playing one of my pieces of music. You said sight reading is your forte - yes, that's true, in addition to being a wonderful pianist, you are a great sight reader!

OH, AND JOHN...you send a thank you for playing my "wonderful Steinwa!" WHAT'S A STEINWA??? \:D \:D \:D

Jeanne W [/b]
It's a wonderful Steinway <----- see the 'y' here.... sorry typo....

John

#921485 - 10/06/05 09:41 PM Re: And may I introduce to you....
Bernard Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Groton, NH
Ooops. I fixed my post.

#921486 - 10/06/05 09:43 PM Re: And may I introduce to you....
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
That IS a beautiful piano. What's the finish? It looks more exotic than a basic mohagony.

And I truly do enjoy getting to see what people on the forum look like. Thanks for taking the effort to post the pictures.

#921487 - 10/07/05 03:38 AM Re: And may I introduce to you....
Jeanne W Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hi, Monica:

Thank you! The wood is plain mahogany, as I recall. Course right now it's 3:16 am....my mind is mush. I'm also thinking the rebuilder (Lee Doherty, Acme Piano, Somerville, MA), may have said it's "ribbon mahogany". ??? When I found it, by the way, the finish was a very light blonde color. I had it refinished darker - it came out great!

John: Re: the "Steinway" thing - I was just razzing you, you know! :p :

Hey, everyone, I have a challenge for you. Take a look at the photo with all four of us happy Piano People in it. There's something in the background of the photo - at the far end of the room. Can you guess what it is???

**You'll need to be able to see all of the detail in the photo. If the rug and background of the photo fades to black on your pc monitor, adjusting the brightness of your pc monitor should, I think, help. The reason I mention this is, on a friend's pc, this photo is so dark you can't see any detail at the back of the room, but the photo is brighter and all of the detail is visible on my home pc. **

If that doesn't work, you can copy and paste the photo into microsoft word and brighten it there: right click on the photo in PW...click on "copy"...open a microsoft word doc...Right click on "paste". Then to brighten the photo:
click on the picture...Right mouse click on the photo...click on "format picture"...click on "picture...click on "brightness" - increase brightness from 50%. Brightening it from 50% to 62% makes all the difference in the world.

Anyway, can anyone hazard a guess what it is?

I'm wondering how many replies this will receive. I know not many PW members visit this particular forum.

Jeanne W

1920 Steinway A3

#921488 - 10/07/05 03:54 AM Re: And may I introduce to you....
Jeanne W Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bernard:
WOW, great pics, Terrytunes!! Thanks for the report too. \:\)

Everyone looks great!

Jeanne W.,
Your place is fantastic! How beautiful.

I forgot what kind of piano you have. The wood is gorgeous. [/b]
Thanks, Bernard! We had such a nice time, and *My Piano* loved it as well. (Pianos are people, too, you know. :rolleyes: )

Jeanne W

1920 Steinway A3

#921489 - 10/07/05 06:51 AM Re: And may I introduce to you....
RKVS1 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Topeka, Kansas
It looks like either an old school desk with the lid up, a square piano with the lid up, or else you're the person Jay Leno mentioned the other day that bought Benjamin Franklin's Commode Chair on E-Bay, and ITS lid is up. Maybe a sewing machine but I see no treadle.

Before I got my photo editor dialed in, I thought it might have been an easel and the plant behind it might have been jodi's head......she's into both painting AND plants, as I recall.

Did John demand that the party be held at night? ( that MIGHT be his vampire coffin, but it looks kinda short for him, to tell the truth.)

Is that really TerryTunes in the photo? I can't recognizer very easily without being able to see her tenni shoes.

I think its a school desk with the (most probably metal) legs painted brown.

Nice finish on the piano,by the way.

Bob

#921490 - 10/07/05 07:15 AM Re: And may I introduce to you....
Jeanne W Offline
1000 Post Club Member

RKVS1 Bob:

I am sitting here howling at your guesses! I think, maybe, I like your "Ben Franklin Commode Chair" guess best. \:D

It's NONE of those things, though.

I just checked the photo, again. Yes, there IS a plant behind it and I HAD noticed it could possibly look like someone's HEAD (hair) - BUT THAT'S NOT RIGHT, EITHER!!!! (Which "Jodi" are you referring to by the way??? Cause there 'tweren't any Jodi's at our gathering. )

Keep those guesses coming! \:D

Jeanne W

1920 Steinway A3

#921491 - 10/07/05 09:16 AM Re: And may I introduce to you....
Justplay Offline

Curious why John played with the lid down?

#921492 - 10/07/05 10:51 AM Re: And may I introduce to you....
bach enthusiast Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Tucson Arizona
 Quote:
Originally posted by Terrytunes:
And Bee, as exhausted as she was from her newly appointed role in her life, stepped up to the bench and entertained us with a piece of music written by PW member Kreisler.
[/b]
I'm interesred in seeing this piece of music. Where'd ya get it Bee?

#921493 - 10/07/05 12:10 PM Re: And may I introduce to you....
John Citron Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Justplay:
Curious why John played with the lid down? [/b]
The lid do go up as I was playing...We never thought of lifting it when we first started.

That is one fine Steinway. Wow! \:D

BE: Kreisler's piece is really great. I would love to see the music for it too.

John

#921494 - 10/07/05 12:40 PM Re: And may I introduce to you....
John Delmore Offline

Loc: Shreveport, LA
A virginal, perhaps? Can't really see it too well, not computer-literate enough to try harder.
Bienvenue!: http://louisianaskyline.net/forums/index.php?

#921495 - 10/07/05 05:06 PM Re: And may I introduce to you....
Contrapunctus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Whittier, California
I get it! It is a person playing a virginal. I can see their hair, and the lid is up.

#921496 - 10/07/05 07:24 PM Re: And may I introduce to you....
Jeanne W Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Interesting...people really are thinking the PLANT is a person. But it ISN'T! It really is a PLANT!

I'll leave a little more time for guessing what that *thing* at the far side of the room might be...before letting the cat out of the bag. \:\)

BachEnthusiast/John: I'd also like to see the music for Kreisler's piece of music. We'll have to wait for BeeLady- I think she said it was posted here on PW somewhere. It may be a while before we hear from BeeLady, though. She is SWAMPED this week. We're lucky she was able to come Tues night.

YOO HOO, BEELADY - ARE YOU OUT THERE??? \:D

Jeanne W

1920 Steinway A3

#921497 - 10/07/05 09:05 PM Re: And may I introduce to you....
BeeLady Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Massachusetts
Whew! My week is over!! But I just couldn't miss a PW gathering....Nearly dozed off while listening to the wonderful music at Jeanne's..but certainly NOT from boredom.

The piece I have been (and am still) working on is Kreisler\'s from nearly a year ago. I love it and especially love that fact that it is from a PW member...

Now if we could just get Ax to write down those lovely Chinese folk songs.... ;\)

Thanks Jeanne for getting us together. John, it was a pleasure to finally meet you. I don't think I did ever see you at the Barnes and Noble...Terry, well ya know....Let me know what you need done for the 29th. I am sooo there! \:\)

Life is like a roll of toilet paper...the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes!

#921498 - 10/07/05 09:31 PM Re: And may I introduce to you....
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
a harpsichord?

love and peace, Ă•un (apple in Estonian)

#921499 - 10/07/05 09:56 PM Re: And may I introduce to you....
bach enthusiast Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Tucson Arizona
Cool, for some reason I was expecting some kind of extensive multi-movement piano sonata or something. I played it. Quite a pleasant little piece. Reminds me of something I just can't put my finger on it.

#921500 - 10/07/05 11:17 PM Re: And may I introduce to you....
Monica K. Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by BeeLady:
The piece I have been (and am still) working on is Kreisler\'s from nearly a year ago. I love it and especially love that fact that it is from a PW member...

[/b]
Wow! Thanks for providing the link, BeeLady! I clicked on it, listened to the piece, promptly said, "I gotta learn to play that myself!", printed it out, and have spent the last 30 minutes trying to play it very, very softly so I don't wake the kids up. I can play it now maybe at half-tempo.

Kreisler, hope you don't mind that I printed it out. It's beautiful! So joyful and light. Thank you for sharing it with us.

#921501 - 10/08/05 01:55 AM Re: And may I introduce to you....
Jeanne W Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Kreisler, (you here?) I just checked out your composition. You're doing yours with software, I see. Mine are all handwritten - *very* time consuming. I need to get software or something... I'm spending too much time copying my pieces ... I could be spending that time composing and practising, instead. Nice piece, Kreisler!

Jeanne W

1920 Steinway A3

#921502 - 10/08/05 11:02 AM Re: And may I introduce to you....
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
Wow! Didn't know I was being discussed over here. \:D

You're all of course welcome to print it out, it's very exciting to hear that people like the stuff!

I write everything out by hand first and put it into the computer later.

I only wish I had more time to write. It's a lot of fun, and I'm hoping to get published some day.

Thanks everybody!
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#921503 - 10/08/05 01:52 PM Re: And may I introduce to you....
Monica K. Offline

In the original post about the piece, you mention having a "2" and "3" nearly ready to go...are they available for listening on-line yet?

#921504 - 10/08/05 02:43 PM Re: And may I introduce to you....
newport Offline

Looks like a fun party ..

(Can't figure out what that "thing" is though.)

#921505 - 10/08/05 03:55 PM Re: And may I introduce to you....
RKVS1 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Topeka, Kansas
'Not that I even know for sure what a "virginal" is ..... I'm assuming its piano-like, but with no "sustain" pedal , or perhaps it is set up somehow so that one can ONLY play minor tunes. or maybe the fallboard has never been opened, or you're not allowed to play with either the long OR[/b] the short stick . But it doesn't matter. I'm thinking that this is EXACTLY what would be needed in that room to bring its Karma back into balance during this party. \:\)

I liked Kreisler's gentle offering. The start of the middle section (M10 -M17 ) reminded me of part of the folk melody that Ravel wove into the Bolero, and the whole thing kinda put me in mind of Charley Brown walking contentedly home after a good day at school.

Bob

#921506 - 10/09/05 12:17 AM Re: And may I introduce to you....
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
Sorta. Parts of #2 and #3 got sent to an interested publisher. Can't really offer them for free in case they offer me a contract. \:\(

Anything they turn down will probably show up here though. \:D

Quote:
Originally posted by Monica Kern:
In the original post about the piece, you mention having a "2" and "3" nearly ready to go...are they available for listening on-line yet? [/b]
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#921507 - 10/09/05 12:39 AM Re: And may I introduce to you....
Monica K. Offline

I hope it works out for you...and I'll be first in line to order it if it does!

p.s. I'm now up to 2/3 tempo on "1" (er, that's with many mistakes, though). Do you have a catchier name for the piece, by the way?

#921508 - 10/09/05 01:39 PM Re: And may I introduce to you....
Jeanne W Offline
1000 Post Club Member

So, what is That Thing?

John Delmore, you guessed correctly. Yes, it's an Italian virginal by Zuckerman. Bob, apple, Congrapuntus, you also were on the right track!

An Italian virginal is, for anyone who doesn't know, a kind of small rectangular instrument that works on the same principal as a harpsichord.

The reason I mention it is, how many people would you think have one of these things??? I would think they are pretty rare. John Citron also has one (different maker) - how ironic. !!!

Jeanne W

1920 Steinway A3

#921509 - 10/09/05 07:14 PM Re: And may I introduce to you....
BeeLady Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Massachusetts
Kreisler, keep us up to date on all your happenings...As I have told you before, I love the piece (as does my teacher) and I want more, more more!!! I, too, would be first in line to buy any publications with your work included!

My teacher and I have worked on this one from time to time and it is fun to see how different it can be.

Life is like a roll of toilet paper...the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes!

#921510 - 10/09/05 11:26 PM Re: And may I introduce to you....
teachum Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: idaho
Wonderful pictures. You all look lovely and so does this piano of course.

Estonia #6141 in Satin Mahogany

#921511 - 10/09/05 11:31 PM Re: And may I introduce to you....
teachum Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: idaho
Never mind.

Estonia #6141 in Satin Mahogany

#921512 - 10/22/05 04:49 PM Re: And may I introduce to you....
kathyk Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
I just saw this thread for the first time. What a fun gathering you guys had.

Jeanne, the piano and house are gorgeous.

Kreisler, really nice piece. I just printed it out too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Sax to piano
by JazzMD
10/30/14 11:06 AM
Still having problems with my Kawai ES7
by musicman100
10/30/14 10:46 AM
ABF Recital FAQ and Guidelines
by wimpiano
10/30/14 10:03 AM
Did Bach’s wife write his finest works?
by CarlosCC
10/30/14 09:24 AM
Szanto Bach Prelude Fugue A minor
by bkthugs10214
10/30/14 09:13 AM
Who's Online
135 registered (AnimistFvR, Alan_Dublin, ajames, anamnesis, 35 invisible), 1647 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76702 Members
42 Forums
158617 Topics
2329567 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission