Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#921591 - 10/11/07 11:43 AM Re: Cape Cod 2007 Piano Party - Picts & Stuff!
Piano World Offline

Loc: Parsonsfield, ME (originally N...
Got a room at the Seashore Park Inn, only thing I could find.

Seashore Park Inn
24 Canal Road, Orleans, MA

Toll Free Reservations: 1-800-772-6453
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
Facebook.com/PianoWorldDotCom
Twitter.com/PianoWorld
www.youtube.com/PianoWorldDotCom
Estonia L-190, Yamaha P-80, Hammond XK-3, Hammond A-100, Estey 1895 Pump Organ
-------------------------
It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!
And please invite everyone you know to join our piano forums!

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
#921592 - 10/11/07 10:04 PM Re: Cape Cod 2007 Piano Party - Picts & Stuff!
kathyk Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Thanks Eric. I need to read more carefully. I had seen the post, but missed the noon part.

#921593 - 10/12/07 10:59 AM Re: Cape Cod 2007 Piano Party - Picts & Stuff!
kathyk Offline
6000 Post Club Member

It looks like Lilylady and Beelady won't be coming after all - a death in Roberta's family and Beelady is overwhelmed with work and duties at home. \:\( Since I'll be make the trek alone, I was somewhat hesitant. But, doggone - it's hard to pass up such a great party. So, I just booked a cute little room at the Nauset Inn - their only single room. Thanks for the tip, Ed.

#921594 - 10/14/07 08:22 AM Re: Cape Cod 2007 Piano Party - Picts & Stuff!
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: boston north
I hope you guys are having a festive time! Missing being there, so hoping you all are taking lots of pics to share.

Play it again..., Roberta

#921595 - 10/14/07 11:01 PM Re: Cape Cod 2007 Piano Party - Picts & Stuff!
rustyfingers Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Massachusetts
Well? Yoo hoo? Anybody there?

#921596 - 10/14/07 11:16 PM Re: Cape Cod 2007 Piano Party - Picts & Stuff!
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
 Quote:
Originally posted by kathyk:
It looks like Lilylady and Beelady won't be coming after all - a death in Roberta's family and Beelady is overwhelmed with work and duties at home. \:\( Since I'll be make the trek alone, I was somewhat hesitant. But, doggone - it's hard to pass up such a great party. So, I just booked a cute little room at the Nauset Inn - their only single room. Thanks for the tip, Ed. [/b]
now that makes me jealous..

sigh

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)

#921597 - 10/15/07 08:57 AM Re: Cape Cod 2007 Piano Party - Picts & Stuff!
kathyk Offline
6000 Post Club Member

This was another absolutely amazing piano party. I am still just basking in the after glow and feeling invigorated and inspired to learn new pieces. I always feel like it must sound like so much hyperbole when I describe these things, but there's no other way to describe them. Having attended last year's Cape Cod party, this one was every bit as wonderful, in spite of missing some of the regulars - Beelady, TerryTunes (I can't get over her priorities - choosing to attend her daughter's wedding rather than this party), Lilylady, John Citroen, Bernard, Jeanne and Ax, to name a few. In fact, there were surprisingly few PianoWorld members at this party, but the Cape Cod piano contingent made up for the lack. Before posting pics, I have to apologize for having missed some very key players - one of our hostesses, Helga and Larry Buck who was our on site piano problem trouble shooter. Had I been on top of things, I would have caught some good shots of him under a few of the pianos. At any rate, there were a lot of other cameras flashing and clicking, so I expect a lot of other better photos will follow.

The days could not have been more beautiful. Bright sunshine and cool crisp days illuminated the charming beauty of the cape and of all four of the beautiful homes of our hosts. The Nauset Inn where I ended up by sheer last minute happenstance was another unexpected delight. The owners and the guests (many of them regulars for many years) were an absolute delight, as were the accommodations. I think that's where I'll be staying for future Cape Cod ventures. For a little flavor of the environ, here's a shot from my morning stroll just before attending Kathy's Sunday morning brunch.

And here are are wonderful hosts. I didn't think to take these pictures until Sunday, and alas, Helga was unavailable.

Roberta Lang and Ed Bonacci

Marilyn and Keith Harrison and John Williams (without the lovely Helga)

Kathy and Tom Howes

Jerry Gloo and Linda deserve special thanks again for pulling together the whole event. All of the hosts are former clients of Jerry. I don't know what kind of power he holds over them to get them to continue opening their homes to so much riff raff, but I hope he keeps it up. They also need to be commended for bringing their brood of three sons and a daughter-in-law to these parties. What a lovely family.

There were a number of new faces this year (for me anyway). There were two pianists who bear special mention. Ed Papier from NYC. Ed was as much of a pianophile as any of us here and what a great pianist. He played Brahms, Bach, Rachmaninoff, Mozart - the full range of classics. We ended up pulling out some four hand stuff we each had in our bags of tricks. We snuck a ten minute rehearsal in at Helga’s and John’s as the others were off to Ed and Roberta’s and had a grand time (pun intended) performing them for the group. What fun! If Ed doesn’t join PianoWorld, I'll have to send a posse out to NYC to nab him.

Ed Playing

The other person new to me who absolutely wowed, was Jim Cullen. This fellow is a bassist by trade and has played with many big names through his career. But, put a piano in front of him, name a tune - any tune - any he will roll it out like the best of them. Absolutely amazing.

#921598 - 10/15/07 09:00 AM Re: Cape Cod 2007 Piano Party - Picts & Stuff!
kathyk Offline
6000 Post Club Member

As usual, the food was copious and wonderful.

Preliminary bisque and appetizers at Marilyn's and Keith’s house

Buffet at Roberta’s and Ed’s house

Frank and I guarding the mimosa station at Kathy’s and Tom’s

Attentive listeners along with one of Helga’s and John’s charming standard poodles. Those dogs are such a riot, constantly goading each other to play and veritable sponges for petting. There were several other doggy stars - the Howe's Italian Spinoza (??) a Marmaduke-size gentle giant that looked sort of like an overgrown aerdale and the Williams' cute little spaniels.

Eric playing. I wish he would have played more. He has a really nice style.

Jerry is another who can just lull you with his smooth playing of the old standards. He and Jim had a competitive thing going, though, that the bouncers had to break up a couple of times.

This is John Halter who has attended other piano parties. I had heard him play at one of Larry Buck’s parties. What a talented young fellow!

#921599 - 10/15/07 09:03 AM Re: Cape Cod 2007 Piano Party - Picts & Stuff!
kathyk Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Oh, and did I mention the pianos? What a line up. Four pianos to die for. The two older but powerful MHs. The Harrison's has a mellow beauty and the Williams' had power. Then there is Roberts's newish Rosewood beauty. Larry Buck had recently worked his magic on it, loosening up a fairly stiff action. And the Howes' Forster just melted to the touch.

This is Kathy and Tom’s son who did a rousing ragtime.

Roberta, Marilyn and Kathy’s and Tom’s son and daughter listening to Ed.

Another rapt audience. That’s Frank’s sister, Barbara with the piano-striped shirt. What a sweetheart she is, and I do believe we have a new piano party junky. To the far right is the Howes children’s piano teacher - also a very accomplished pianist.

#921600 - 10/15/07 11:55 AM Re: Cape Cod 2007 Piano Party - Picts & Stuff!
Piano World Offline

Kathy is right, it's hard to put into words how wonderful these parties are.

Again this year I was hoping one of the host families would adopt me, but no takers.
They were probably thinking about what it would take to feed me:-)
(You can tell by my pictures why my doctor keeps telling me to lose 50lbs, never going to happen if I keep going to these parties).

Our heartfelt thanks to our repeat hosts, and to our new hosts this year, Kathy & Tom Howes and family.

I'm going to try to caption my pictures, but I know I'll get something wrong (someone else can jump in). You can easily tell by the beautiful settings and the smiles on people's faces that everyone had a great time. How could you not?

A dog in the Harrison's back yard, teaching Larry how to throw a pumpkin shaped ball.

Jeremy at the Harrison's (Mason & Hamlin) piano

Linda Gloo (Jeremy's wife) taking a picture, in the Harrison's kitchen

Jeremy at the William's (Mason & Hamlin) piano

Food at Ed & Roberta's

The rapt audience while Kathy K. plays Roberta & Ed's (Mason & Hamlin) piano.

The group gathers at the Howes' (our new hosts for the Sunday brunch this year). And of course, more food.

The Howes did an amazing job of renovating and adding onto what was a much smaller house.
Believe it of not, this was orginally the garage and breezeway!

More pictures continued below
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
Twitter.com/PianoWorld

#921601 - 10/15/07 11:57 AM Re: Cape Cod 2007 Piano Party - Picts & Stuff!
Piano World Offline

New member Ed from NY and KathyK play a duet, much to the delight of their audience.

The Howe's piano teacher (I believe her name was Deborah, someone correct me if I'm wrong). A most interesting woman to chat with. We're hoping she will become a member.

Duncan Howes got everyone's attention with a lively (and very well done) ragtime number.

We pause for the traditional group shot.
I'm not going to try to name everyone because I'm bad with names (someone feel free to jump in).

Sorry, I've forgotten this young ladies name (told you I was bad with names), but she played beautifully. I'm always thrilled when young people play, we're counting on them to carry the torch!

Quinn (sp?) Howes and KathyK improvise a duet (bravo).

Another young lady who's name I've forgotten (oy, I should take notes). She plunked around a bit like she couldn't really play, then got serious (yup, she can play :-)

Jeremy plays the Howes' August Forster piano.
What a beautiful tone the piano had. Warm and full bodied.
(interesting side note, I googled August Forster to make sure I was spelling it correctly. The top two results were both from the Piano World Forums).

A couple more pictures follow below
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
Twitter.com/PianoWorld

#921602 - 10/15/07 12:02 PM Re: Cape Cod 2007 Piano Party - Picts & Stuff!
Piano World Offline

Kathy Howes (our Sunday brunch host) finally gives into our prodding, and plays two pieces for us. Nice job Kathy!

Finding the Howes' house is a bit of a challenge, the streets curve every which way. They kindly placed signs along the route in, finishing up with this one in front of their house.

I will be posting more pictures later[/b]
Ed Bonacci kindly gave me a cd of pictures he and Larry Buck took with their high-end cameras.
I will work on getting them up later, so make sure you check back (I'm sure others will be posting too).

If you were thinking of joining us this year and didn't, you missed a wonderful weekend on the Cape.

If we're lucky, we will get to do it all again next year (I can see our hosts rolling their eyes now).

If we do, make sure you join us, you will be glad you did.

Thanks again to everyone who welcomed us into their beautiful homes, to Jeremy for helping to pull it all together (and for tuning 3 of the pianos), to Larry Buck for working on and tuning one of the pianos, to everyone who played (with particular thanks to the younger set for indulging us), and to everyone who listened but didn't play.

Roberta & Marilyn, everyone is looking forward to your duet next year :-)

Until next time...

All the Best,

- Frank B.
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
Twitter.com/PianoWorld

#921603 - 10/16/07 12:42 AM Re: Cape Cod 2007 Piano Party - Picts & Stuff!
rustyfingers Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks for posting the pictures. It must have been wonderful.

#921604 - 10/16/07 08:01 AM Re: Cape Cod 2007 Piano Party - Picts & Stuff!
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: boston north
Thank you for sharing the pics and telling us about the party. Looks like everyone is having a good time. Wish I could have participated but I was there in my heart. Even played a couple of pieces in your honor.

Did Frank rock? Did Jeremy do his Victor Borge routine? Were barefeet a requirement at the Howes? ;-)

LL

#921605 - 10/16/07 11:50 AM Re: Cape Cod 2007 Piano Party - Picts & Stuff!
Les Koltvedt Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canton, MI
Thanks for the pics...really need to schedule a fall vacation on the Cape for '08. Looks like you had great weather too, nice and sunny. lilylady...I thought Frank played Classical?? at least thats the way he ALWAYS STARTS OUT...LOL. jk
PTG Associate

#921606 - 10/16/07 02:31 PM Re: Cape Cod 2007 Piano Party - Picts & Stuff!
kathyk Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Frank - - classical? \:\)

He *did* do his Moonlight Sonata rendition. Here's a recording of the last 15 seconds or so from last year's Cape party.

Moonlit Frank

Frank is into big rock. He makes the piano and the whole room rock and roll when he plays. In addition to his wild Moonlight rendition, he did a number of old chestnut rock tunes, like Sonny (which he told us, he has the original score to. Come to a piano party and maybe you can hear the story).

#921607 - 10/16/07 03:25 PM Re: Cape Cod 2007 Piano Party - Picts & Stuff!
Rami Offline

Loc: Israel/USA
Gee, sorry to have missed all that fun and music.
Regards,
Rami

#921608 - 10/16/07 08:03 PM Re: Cape Cod 2007 Piano Party - Picts & Stuff!
Eric Gloo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richfield Springs, New York
Thanks for posting all of those photos (although my dial-up connection and/or computer won't let me view them all...instead, I get little boxes with a red "X" in them).

It truly was a wonderful weekend and it was a pleasure to see all of you again.

Kathy, thanks for your kind words regarding my playing. The reason I don't play more at these gatherings is nerves. It really bothers me to play in front of a listening and watching audience...and always has.

I consider myself more an accompanist than a solo performer. I have no trouble accompanying a 75-member high school choir, probably because during their concerts, the audience is paying attention to the singers, not to me. Plus, I have my back to the audience! I've also been the rehearsal accompanist for 8 high school / community theater musicals over the past few years...at which, again, I'm not nervous about playing at all.

So, next year, I'll bring some vocal music and you can all sing along while I play! AND TerryTunes and I will learn a duet.
Richfield Springs, New York

#921609 - 10/16/07 08:59 PM Re: Cape Cod 2007 Piano Party - Picts & Stuff!
piqué Offline
5000 Post Club Member

this looks like it was such a fabulous time! mr. pique and i will have to join you all next year.

now in paperback:

Grand Obsession: A Piano Odyssey

#921610 - 10/16/07 09:44 PM Re: Cape Cod 2007 Piano Party - Picts & Stuff!
Piano World Offline

A few more pictures, in case you weren't jealous enough yet :-)

Fritz or Nikki?

The Harrison's before we attacked

Food at Roberta and Ed's

Dynamic Duet (Ed and KathyK)

Becket (sp?)

Ed playing the William's Mason & Hamlin

Larry Buck tuning up Ed & Roberta's Mason & Hamlin

Will post a few more when I have a chance.
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
Twitter.com/PianoWorld

#921611 - 10/17/07 12:36 AM Re: Cape Cod 2007 Piano Party - Picts & Stuff!
Terrytunes Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Tewksbury MA
The pics and reviews have been fabulous!! And to think I gave up the CC Piano gathering for

....my youngest daughter's glorious Catskill wedding! \:D

Hopefully, the CC gathering will continue in '08 and you can bet I'll not miss the next one!

What a wonderful collection of pics from the gathering. It has been such a treat to see all of you from the CC area looking just as stunning as you all did last year! I truly missed sharing this event with ALL of you!

Cathy Howe... such a generous offer in opening your home and piano to everyone.

KK: Missed YOU!!

Jerry, Linda & Ed and all the rest of the CC group who worked on putting this gathering together... you did a great job! ;\)

#921612 - 10/17/07 01:04 AM Re: Cape Cod 2007 Piano Party - Picts & Stuff!
rustyfingers Offline
500 Post Club Member

TT, I was just thinking about whether you were going to post about the wedding. You and your daughter look so happy and beautiful--I hope the wedding was truly wonderful, and best wishes to the bride & groom for a happy and full life together.

Looks like you had a gorgeous day for it. October weddings are the best!

{back to our regularly scheduled thread}

#921613 - 10/17/07 08:27 AM Re: Cape Cod 2007 Piano Party - Picts & Stuff!
kathyk Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Terry, I was hoping to hear from you here. Well, now having seen your glowingly beautiful daughter, I have to reluctantly excuse your absence from the party. Someone did a great job of photo-shopping the fall foliage background in the wedding picture. Seriously, that looks like a Monet painting. And it looks like just a gorgeous wedding; you look wonderful and Steve as handsome as ever - and you're both totally beaming.

#921614 - 10/17/07 09:23 AM Re: Cape Cod 2007 Piano Party - Picts & Stuff!
Les Koltvedt Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canton, MI
 Quote:
... Someone did a great job of photo-shopping the fall foliage background in the wedding picture. Seriously, that looks like a Monet painting. And it looks like just a gorgeous wedding; you look wonderful and Steve as handsome as ever - and you're both totally beaming. [/b]
DITTO HERE ... congratulations

Deb & Les
PTG Associate

#921615 - 10/18/07 05:59 PM Re: Cape Cod 2007 Piano Party - Picts & Stuff!
hv Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cape Cod
Looks like a wonderful party and I'm so sorry I missed it. Oddly enough I was staying in Brewster for work at REO Studios in Centerville Tues and Wed of that week while it rained outside much of the time. So close and yet so far. And had to be up past Watertown, NY for a piano festival all weekend. But it was my 1st trip to the Cape and although I didn't get to see much, it was enough to make me want to return. With a little luck I hope to make a future piano party if you folks ever do it again.

Howard

#921616 - 10/20/07 08:59 AM Re: Cape Cod 2007 Piano Party - Picts & Stuff!
kathyk Offline
6000 Post Club Member

As mentioned earlier, there was a shamefully small contingent of PW people this time, but thanks to Jgloo, that was more than made up for by the large contingent of Cape Cod pianophiles and friends. I keep hoping that more of them will sign up and chime in here. There were more than a few that could easily become PW regulars if they dared (how's that for a challenge?)

#921617 - 10/20/07 10:41 AM Re: Cape Cod 2007 Piano Party - Picts & Stuff!
Piano World Offline

Quote:
As mentioned earlier, there was a shamefully small contingent of PW people this time, but thanks to Jgloo, that was more than made up for by the large contingent of Cape Cod pianophiles and friends. I keep hoping that more of them will sign up and chime in here. There were more than a few that could easily become PW regulars if they dared (how's that for a challenge?) [/b]
I agree Kathy, they should step up to the plate :-)
I was also hoping they'd post more pictures, and maybe help identify some of the people in the group picture.

One of them (the women in the dark blue vest kneeling to the right of the piano in the big group shot) expressed an interest in holding a piano forums party in her home in Lexington, MA.

She has her mother's Steinway grand (her mother was a concert pianist).
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
Twitter.com/PianoWorld

#921618 - 10/21/07 12:50 PM Re: Cape Cod 2007 Piano Party - Picts & Stuff!
JBiegel Offline
500 Post Club Member

What a fantastic party--the photos are beautiful!

#921619 - 10/23/07 05:21 PM Re: Cape Cod 2007 Piano Party - Picts & Stuff!
novelinda Offline

Loc: North Eastham, MA
Hi everyone. Jerry and I have been thorougly enjoying all the wonderful pictures and comments from the Piano Party. Thank you all for posting. And Terry, what a wonderful wedding it must have been. Your dress is beautiful and your daughter is so pretty and Steve, that husband of yours, is very debonair

I do have a list of names from the group photo. I'm missing a couple first names but you will get the idea. Back row left to right: Mr Longerstaey, Frank, Paul GLoo, John Williams, Larry Buck, Barbara (Frank's sister), Eric Gloo, Jeremy Gloo, Marilyn Harrison, Linda Gloo, Jim Cullem, Lee Chapman, Keith Harrison.

Seated: Ed Bonnaci, Ed Papier, Quinn Howes, Kathy K., Roberta Lang, Kathy Howes, Mrs. Longerstaey, her daughter Oriane in front of her, Anoush Longerstaey, and Duncan Howes.

Not everyone who came on Sat. is in this photo. Missing are Ike and Fay Cole, Jim Gloo and Karen Zunti, Brenda and John Halter, Helga Williams, Beckett, and Sandy Godonski.

We had 13 wonderful pianists perform their hearts out. What a joy!

More to follow and some pics, I hope.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
76 registered (ASLevelMusicTheory, Atrys, accordeur, BB Player, 15 invisible), 1116 Guests and 43 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74264 Members
42 Forums
153619 Topics
2251531 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Noodling board
by Maarkr
04/20/14 10:20 PM
New Movement Composed "To Rule" 4/20/2014
by hsheck
04/20/14 10:17 PM
Understanding Sharps
by imustlearn
04/20/14 08:18 PM
When a beginner is not a beginner anymore?
by Eight Octaves
04/20/14 08:09 PM
DEBUSSY-"Serenade for the Doll" from 'Children's Corner'
by Hal Freedman
04/20/14 07:14 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission