Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#921687 - 05/02/07 09:01 PM 2007 Mason & Hamlin Tour - Pictures and Comments
IrishMak Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Hampshire, USA
We just got home from the tour at M&H in Haverhill and the after-party in Lowell. I won't give the detailed report right now, but I will say that it was absolutely a fun and informative day. Many thanks to Frank, Kirk and Gary Burgett, Cecil Ramirez and our intrepid tour guide, Bruce Clark for a wonderful tour. Even tho we were on the tour last year, there is so much information to hear and things to see that it was not at all boring. I know I learned things I had either missed or forgetten from last year.

The new M&H B is a lovely piano! Sounds so much bigger than it's actual size. They did an outstanding job with it.

The party at Larry Buck's after was lots of fun! Food, a little vino, great conversation, and some piano playing, too!!

Yes, there are pictures- lots of pictures. I'll get some posted soon, and I am sure the others will, too.

Oh- USAPianoTrucker- Cecil DID bring us all to the loading dock and showed us the door! LOL We have pictures...

On to the Frederick Piano Collection tomorrow!

1889 Mason & Hamlin screwstringer upright
Kawai MP-4 digital

---------------------------
When life hands you lemons, throw them back and add some of your own. Stupid life.

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
#921688 - 05/02/07 10:32 PM Re: 2007 Mason & Hamlin Tour - Pictures and Comments
reliv4all Offline

Loc: New England
Same here.

Thank you to Frank, Kirk and Gary Burgett, Cecil Ramirez, and to the rest of the M&H staff. Bruce Clark, our tour leader, did a superb job. The chicken dinner that we shared for lunch was wonderful.

It was also great to meet other forum members in person.

Here's our group pic:

I will try to upload some more later.

#921689 - 05/02/07 10:42 PM Re: 2007 Mason & Hamlin Tour - Pictures and Comments
Bernard Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Groton, NH
Nice looking group! Can't wait to see more pictures. How nice that you all had a party at Larry Buck's afterward.

#921690 - 05/02/07 10:53 PM Re: 2007 Mason & Hamlin Tour - Pictures and Comments
reliv4all Offline

Here's a shot of the different M&H models ready to be played on:

#921691 - 05/02/07 11:11 PM Re: 2007 Mason & Hamlin Tour - Pictures and Comments
reliv4all Offline

Additional pics:

#921692 - 05/03/07 08:19 AM Re: 2007 Mason & Hamlin Tour - Pictures and Comments
reliv4all Offline

Here are some more (in no particular order):

#921693 - 05/03/07 10:52 AM Re: 2007 Mason & Hamlin Tour - Pictures and Comments
Piano World Offline

Loc: Parsonsfield, ME (originally N...
It was a perfect day!

Great group of people (nice to meet new members and see some familiar faces).

Bruce and the others from Mason & Hamlin did a great job with the tour, as always.

It's obvious a lot of pride goes into making their pianos, and that includes everyone involved in the process.

Our thanks to the employees on the shop floors for putting up with us tramping through their areas. They all welcomed us with smiles, and it was evident they were happy to show off their skills :-)

And thank you to Larry Buck for hosting the after tour party at his shop, and to TerryTunes, Steve, and Larry for organizing the party.

I'm going to post a bunch of pictures, but probably won't caption most of them until later.

I got home after midnight, and up at 6:00, still waiting for my brain to kick in (of course, of been waiting for that for years).

More Picts to follow....
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
Facebook.com/PianoWorldDotCom
Twitter.com/PianoWorld
www.youtube.com/PianoWorldDotCom
Estonia L-190, Yamaha P-80, Hammond XK-3, Hammond A-100, Estey 1895 Pump Organ
-------------------------
It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!
And please invite everyone you know to join our piano forums!

#921694 - 05/03/07 10:53 AM Re: 2007 Mason & Hamlin Tour - Pictures and Comments
Piano World Offline

More picts, ad promised...

More to come...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
Twitter.com/PianoWorld

#921695 - 05/03/07 10:54 AM Re: 2007 Mason & Hamlin Tour - Pictures and Comments
Piano World Offline

Still going...

Cool old building Mason & Hamlin's factory is housed in. According to Kirk Burgett (owner) it was built circa 1890

USATrucker, this one is for you...

Last batch coming up ...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
Twitter.com/PianoWorld

#921696 - 05/03/07 10:56 AM Re: 2007 Mason & Hamlin Tour - Pictures and Comments
Piano World Offline

Last Batch...

A wonderful duet by Duncan and Quinn Howes..

Sorry I didn't take any pictures at the party.
I was tired by then, and ready to just sip some wine, eat some of the tasty food, and hang out with the piano people.

I know some people took party pictures, as well as lots of other tour pictures, hoping they will post them soon.
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
Twitter.com/PianoWorld

#921697 - 05/03/07 02:10 PM Re: 2007 Mason & Hamlin Tour - Pictures and Comments
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: boston north
To the Mason Hamlin Family...

You are appreciated.

We felt welcomed and privileged to tour your factory and hear a topnotch presentation by Bruce Clark on the artistry in the making of your pianos. I am overwhelmed by the care, precision, details, artisans, and quality control that goes into making the MH pianos.

Being that this was the second time that I have taken the tour, I was able to comprehend so much more. And being a proud new owner, I could so 'relate' to my piano! I listened and watched thinking "Wow...this is what went into making my piano; This is the artisan who made my piano and I am watching him/her do what made my piano the wonderful instrument that I play."

Thank you to all.

I have enjoyed viewing my pics, and viewing the other pics posted. Warm fuzzy memories.

Larry Buck, Terrytunes and all...what a wonderful party! A chance to relive the day and just socialize!

I've got some pics uploaded to photobucket and like Frank, will try to add some commentary later, as I am just on my lunch break. Oh, BTW, the last pic that Reliv4all posted is of his son, Mathew, who I think is 13/14, who blew us away with his classical abilities!
--------------------

MH has several original frame bending units and is currently replacing them with new units for several reasons. One being safety. The CC (concert grand)

MH makes an inner rim and outer rim, both of maple, laminated. Not only does the thickness support the massive piano, it contributes to the tone and stability of the soundboard. (remember what i say here is from memory of what i believe i heard - you can check with mh for correctness)
I believe the rim stays in the frame overnight. This is an inner rim being bent (like my AA)!

This rim framer might be 100 yrs old

MH is known for their Tension Resonator. A design established for one purpose, but now believed to help the stabilizing of the rim, soundboard curve etc. Here it is in the process of being installaed.

Pinblock holes being drilled.

Bruce Clark points out aliquot section. Which is tuned at the factory. Yes, we saw it being tuned in a small sectioned off room, but I couldn't get close enough take a pic. Anyone out there with a pic of that?

Owner Kirk Burgett accompanied us through the complete tour. Proudly.

More later...back to work!

#921698 - 05/03/07 05:54 PM Re: 2007 Mason & Hamlin Tour - Pictures and Comments
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

MH actions are made on site. It gives them complete control for their specifics, They also do many tests for quality control.

Parts are purchased.

A whole floor is dedicated to the MH action. I was most fascinated with this floor. I also noted and pics were taken of 'neat (yet factory) layouts'. I loved rows and stacks of prepped, ready to install action parts.

STRING ROUNDS of several sizes

Tireless animated tester rocks back and forth

Inside out and upside down damper installation?

Series of hammers being prepped. Filed down to a specific layer of felt

More coming. LL

#921699 - 05/03/07 06:11 PM Re: 2007 Mason & Hamlin Tour - Pictures and Comments
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

I left you with several hammers being sanded/filed down. My question was, "When does he know it is time to stop filing?"

Answer...He knows by experience.

There are 'layers' of felt. Each layer could be/can be stripped off. He stops when a layer is solid.

"Hmmmm...where did you get that hammer, Bruce, that you so easily cut apart for demonstration?" asks I.

"Oh, this is from the discard box", says he.

"Hmmmm," says I. "Cathy Harl has made them into Door Key Chains. Do you have any that we could use?"

A box was forthcoming and devoured by the attendees. Just look at what IrishMak came up with for their use!!!

Did you notice the 'blues'? LOL!

#921700 - 05/03/07 06:45 PM Re: 2007 Mason & Hamlin Tour - Pictures and Comments
BeeLady Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Massachusetts
 Quote:
And thank you to Larry Buck for hosting the after tour party at his shop, and to TerryTunes, Steve, and BeeLady for organizing the party.
Oh, Frank, you will have to edit. I had nothing to do with it. Terry, Steve and Larry are the team that keep this New England group together I must say. Terry deserves something special as she spent most of the day setting up and cooked all the food!

Not only that but she has us on a broadcast email list to keep us all up to date on the latest gatherings and news in PW.

Thanks to all for having us hanger's on who didn't attend the tour. It was so nice to meet "new" PianoWorld folks and one new piano talent who is all of 14 years old!!!

Life is like a roll of toilet paper...the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes!

#921701 - 05/03/07 06:50 PM Re: 2007 Mason & Hamlin Tour - Pictures and Comments
IrishMak Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Hampshire, USA
And the Frederick Museum tour today was just as fascintating! I have a bunch of pics from there, as well. Alas, posting of all pictures from me will have to wait till next week. We are off tomorrow to Somers, CT for the first chili cookoff of the season. Pictures are downloaded from the camera, but not cleaned up, resized and so on. Will get 'em up asap next week.

1889 Mason & Hamlin screwstringer upright
Kawai MP-4 digital

---------------------------
When life hands you lemons, throw them back and add some of your own. Stupid life.

#921702 - 05/03/07 08:41 PM Re: 2007 Mason & Hamlin Tour - Pictures and Comments
John Anthony Offline

I'm really glad to see everyone had a good time. You were in good hands up there so I don't think it could have been anything but.
Entrepreneurship/Music Theory/Music History
Indiana University
Steinway M
Roland AT90R Atelier organ

#921703 - 05/03/07 08:57 PM Re: 2007 Mason & Hamlin Tour - Pictures and Comments
Piano World Offline

And some Party Picts are here...

http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/22/129.html

(Thanks Terry)
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
Twitter.com/PianoWorld

#921704 - 05/03/07 09:10 PM Re: 2007 Mason & Hamlin Tour - Pictures and Comments
John Anthony Offline

double post: oops!
Entrepreneurship/Music Theory/Music History
Indiana University
Steinway M
Roland AT90R Atelier organ

#921705 - 05/03/07 09:36 PM Re: 2007 Mason & Hamlin Tour - Pictures and Comments
M&HAAdriver Offline
Silver Expires April 2010

Silver member until April 2010

Loc: Centennial, Colorado
Great pictures \:\) \:\) ; just so sorry I had to bail at the last minute. \:\( \:\(
Somebody, PLEASE: caption one of the group shots with (screen) names!

Thanks,

#921706 - 05/03/07 10:36 PM Re: 2007 Mason & Hamlin Tour - Pictures and Comments
reliv4all Offline

Another installment:

#921707 - 05/03/07 11:38 PM Re: 2007 Mason & Hamlin Tour - Pictures and Comments
RickG Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Texas
Wonderful pics! Thank you for posting!

#921708 - 05/04/07 09:05 AM Re: 2007 Mason & Hamlin Tour - Pictures and Comments
LisztAddict Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida
GRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEAT photos! thanks!

#921709 - 05/04/07 09:24 PM Re: 2007 Mason & Hamlin Tour - Pictures and Comments
reliv4all Offline

Quote:
I've got some pics uploaded to photobucket and like Frank, will try to add some commentary later, as I am just on my lunch break. Oh, BTW, the last pic that Reliv4all posted is of his son, Mathew, who I think is 13/14, who blew us away with his classical abilities!
Why thank you, Lilylady. Matthew's 13 but he wouldn't mind being presumed as someone older (mature). When he gets to my/our age he will understand why we prefer to be presumed just the opposite. \:\)

#921710 - 05/04/07 09:30 PM Re: 2007 Mason & Hamlin Tour - Pictures and Comments
Piano World Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by reliv4all:
 Quote:
Why thank you, Lilylady. Matthew's 13 but he wouldn't mind being presumed as someone older (mature). When he gets to my/our age he will understand why we prefer to be presumed just the opposite. \:\) [/b]
At my age, I just prefer to be presumed to still be alive :-)
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
Twitter.com/PianoWorld

#921711 - 05/05/07 07:35 AM Re: 2007 Mason & Hamlin Tour - Pictures and Comments
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Legs anyone?

Packed and ready to go...

Logo is even on the boxes!

Historian Paul on the right. He has been with MH since the 40s and has many a story to share.

I know that there were lots more camera's being used...hope that others get some time this weekend to share. (hint, hint!!!)

Oh, and just to make you all jealous, we came home with the famous COFFEE MUGS. Now to use it? or keep it for display?

LL

#921712 - 05/05/07 07:37 AM Re: 2007 Mason & Hamlin Tour - Pictures and Comments
fourthgenerationpianorestoration Offline

Loc: Brewster Cape Cod Mass
Teresa and I had a terific time at M&H.I was expecting to see less than we were treated to and was very impressed.I am Glad that the M&H of today is made the same as in the past.I left having a renewed apriciation for the Company and It's employees.The quality of the workmanship that the employees produce is truly amaising.
The party after was great to .Wish we could have stayed longer.To everone who we met there Thankyou.Larry your shop is Impressive to say the least.Next time I will bring my favorite dish to make . It's not lasagna.It will be a suprise.I can tell you it takes two hrs to prepare and it is french.The food that was there was excelent.
My pictures came out very good ,but they would be a repeat of what was already posted.There is nothing like being there though.I recomend highly going on the tour.I am now putting M&H #1 on my list for new piano's.
Restringing, Estimates,Players
jeffreyswensen@comcast.net

#921713 - 05/05/07 07:56 AM Re: 2007 Mason & Hamlin Tour - Pictures and Comments
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Then we all got the chance to play which ever we chose. They had the complete lineup.

It was fun seeing John Citron turn around in a circle trying to figure out which piano he was going to play!

Laurente (I hope I have that right) showed his classical prowess playing Chopin on the CC. Tell us what you thought Laurent

We then asked for Liszt which he played on the BB

'Proud Mom' Howe watching her offspring playing the CC (someone above posted the pic of them)

Monster M&H choice piano. Beautiful veneer on this one!

Rock and Roll Star Frank Baxter (PW owner)

Cont...

#921714 - 05/05/07 08:19 AM Re: 2007 Mason & Hamlin Tour - Pictures and Comments
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

The last of my pics:

And pianist extraordinaire, Cecil Ramirez, MH national sales mgr, played his beautiful rendition of 'Emily'. Who, after hearing that, could resist the "B"? ;-)

I did not get to meet everyone, but here are a few names for the 'who is who' association!
Left and front - Cecil Ramirez, MH; Frank Baxter, PW; Kirk Burgett MH; Woodfab and friend; Gary Burgett, MH; Reliv4all in middle with son Matthew behind; Monster M&H and wife; Bruce Clark, MH engineer and tour guide/teacher; Paul Monachino, consultant and MH historian;
Middle and back - MH plant mgr? (name?); Jim Frazee, tech; Irishmak and hubby behind; ?;?; Lilylady in middle; Tonyf and wife behind me; Howe children with Mom to right; ?; tallest is fourthgenerationpianorestoration and wife in front of; ?; ?. Please fill in the names of others for us!

That's all, folks!

#921715 - 05/05/07 08:39 AM Re: 2007 Mason & Hamlin Tour - Pictures and Comments
AMDQMom Offline

Gold Member until February 2010

As a long-time reader, a short-time member and a never-before-poster of PW I wish to thank the charming Burgett brothers of Mason & Hamlin for so generously opening their factory and making us feel so welcome. Bruce Clark possesses the knowledge, patience and endurance of a god, and Cecil Ramirez was the most gracious and delightful host. Also an enormous thank you to Frank B. here at PW for pulling it all together.

The entire day was other-worldly. The intimacy of a private tour of a first class museum, the engineering perfection of a sail on a 12 meter, and the exhilaration of a flight over the Grand Canyon all rolled into one. Every individual from M&H, from the owners to the artisans, was the personification of immense pride in hard work and the joyous celebration of excellence. Witnessing first hand the ‘best’ in any worldly endeavor is a pleasure. Being allowed into this rarified air was a privilege indeed. Thank you and Bravo!

#921716 - 05/05/07 12:02 PM Re: 2007 Mason & Hamlin Tour - Pictures and Comments
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

By request, I will try to post an MP3 of Cecil Ramirez playing 'Emily' on the new Mason B. After my miserable failure to record my Schumann pieces, I thought half way through his beautiful rendition... aha, maybe I can capture some of it. Of course in the huge factory hall, and with factory noise in the background, I am not sure that it shows his playing, nor the B to their best. My computer speakers are shot as well. So, hopefully, you will at least hear the quality of the B and Cecil's talent.

This is my first attempt to do Box.net for sharing. If it doesn't work, please help me out.

MH B with Cecil Ramirez playing Emily

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
151 registered (36251, accordeur, acortot, Adypiano, 43 invisible), 1670 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74215 Members
42 Forums
153526 Topics
2249853 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Casio AP range advice please
by thamajor7
04/17/14 01:38 PM
Installing plain wire: no twists involved
by A443
04/17/14 01:12 PM
Disney - Mulan - Reflection (arr. by K. Landry)
by Gi Dy
04/17/14 12:32 PM
A good introduction to history of French classical music?
by BWV 846
04/17/14 10:50 AM
Piano Composition + a Drawing
by leandrobrunapiano
04/17/14 10:50 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission