2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Barly, 1957, btcomm, brennbaer, Animisha, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, 13 invisible), 1,912 guests, and 351 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
The Boston chapter of the PTG is having Bill Shull, RPT, present his class on "Early Steinway Grand Research"

You can read a little about it here on Bill's Site
http://www.shullpiano.com/html/the_early_steinway_grand_-_185.html

Bill gave this Class at the National PTG Convention this past June in Rochester, NY and recieved rave reviews.

This is sponsored by the Boston Chapter PTG and there is no charge. Because of limited seating, you must email me at technical@bostonptg.org to reserve a seat.

This will be held at my shop in Lowell on Tuesday evening, October 17, 2006 beginning at 7:15 and will be approxametly 1.5 hours. Refreshments are served.

Kindly,
Larry Buck

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."
Mark Twain

E. J. Buck & Sons
Lowell MA 01852
978 458 8688
www.ejbuckpiano.com
http://www.facebook.com/EJBuckPerformances
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
[Linked Image]

From L to R
Bill Shull, David Stanwood, Jude Revele, Larry Buck

We are standing in front of Steinway #1226, in original condition. This 8' rosewood grand has been in this house from almost new and has been carefully maintained by many generations of this family, who have been in this same home since the 1700's

Bill and "company" spent time documenting the pianos action and scale as well as photographing the instrument.

This is just one of the many truly fascinating things, in addition to our chapter meeting with Bill Shull, that took place while Bill was in town.

Our heartfelt thanks to Terrytunes and Stevetunes, who accompanied us, for the introduction to this wonderful family and historic instrument.

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."
Mark Twain

E. J. Buck & Sons
Lowell MA 01852
978 458 8688
www.ejbuckpiano.com
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
[Linked Image]

Terrytunes, the Steinway 1226 and ... Stevetunes ..???

Mark Twain

E. J. Buck & Sons
Lowell MA 01852
978 458 8688
www.ejbuckpiano.com
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The gathering of these fine looking gents at the home of two very dear friends of mine and my dh, came about by having read a post, sometime ago, by Curry in which he referenced a contest Steinway held in search of the oldest grand.

I became interested in the results of the contest as I always knew the piano I played at my friends home certainly must have some type of historical value.

Looking back almost 25 years, this piano was probably the first opportunity in my life to enjoy a beautiful sounding grand piano and in a room out of earshot from other visitors; thank goodness for them!! laugh

In sharing the story with my tech and good friend, Larry Buck, I was able to play a part in bringing together a gathering of knowledgeable professionals who were interested in viewing this historic instrument and documenting original features of the piano.

This visit provided the owners with valuable knowledge of their piano and an understanding of necessary requirements in order to preserve this piano for another 150 years.

The evening was highlighted with Bill Shull beautifully performing a few Chopin Nocturnes. Bill's wonderful display of musical talent provided me the opportunity to sit and enjoy the beautiful tonal qualities this piano is still capable of producing.

I've been given permission by the owners of this historic piano to post a pic of the... are you ready for this!!... the original crate the piano was shipped in from NYC. eek

The crate is in a sideways position.

[Linked Image]

The piano detectives at work:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Bill Shull entertained all of us with his fine musical talents while beautifully playing a few Chopin Nocturnes.

[Linked Image]

My thanks and appreciation to my friends who welcomed all these professionsals into their home and allowed this gathering to take place.

And also to Bill Shull, David Stanwood, Jude Revele and Larry Buck for finding time in their hectic lives to take the long drive and share their expertise knowledge with the owners of this Steinway grand.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Wow! To have such expertise in your own livingroom! I hope the owners realize how lucky they are to have a friend like you, Terry! cool

The piano is more beautiful than I imagined.

Terry, what is the official word from Steinway on this piano? Is is officially the oldest in existance?

BeeLady

Life is like a roll of toilet paper...the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes!
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Terrytunes,

I remember when you first posted about this piano, maybe a year or so ago? And I wanted to much to see it. Still do!

Me too, on wanting to know what the experts thought. Will this be preserved? Purchased and put into a museum?

And look at that victrola! Is that original to the early owners as well? Love that horn. Did you play it?

Inquiring minds we have, you know!

LL

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Lilylady, I didn't even notice the Victrola till now. And now that I went back and looked, I saw an even more stunning site.

The music desk is tipped up against the wall. Wow! How beautiful and so fragile looking. I guess living in the same house all it's years helps to keep such things in good shape.

BeeLady

Life is like a roll of toilet paper...the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes!
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Here is an overhead view of the piano

[Linked Image]

Here is a look at the piano, showing the woodwork a little more clearly.

Bee Lady, being in the same house all this time, cared for by generations of people wo have respected this piano, really has made a difference after 150 years.

The music desk and the design was the topic of much discussion.

It was very beautiful indeed.

[Linked Image]

Mark Twain

E. J. Buck & Sons
Lowell MA 01852
978 458 8688
www.ejbuckpiano.com
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Bee & Lilylady... as far as I know, the owners have no intentions of removing the Steinway from their home; at least I hope their not!! eek

Can you believe I have never asked to listen to the Victrola!! I'm sure it's functional. I've probably been too busy playing the piano!! laugh

The people who won the Steinway contest were selling their piano on Pianomart and had it listed as the "oldest" original Steinway grand. After alerting my friends to this ad, they called Steinway to verify they still owned the patent grand #1226.

A call was then made to the owner of Pianomart requesting the ad be changed from "the oldest Steinway grand" to "one of the oldest"!! :p

The oldest Steinway grand sits in Steinway Hall in NYC...#1225.

O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
Terrytunes, is that the original bench as well?

Happiness is a freshly tuned piano.
Jim Boydston, proprietor, No Piano Left Behind - technician
www.facebook.com/NoPianoLeftBehind
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Opera Tenor,

I check on the bench question for you as well.

Larry

Mark Twain

E. J. Buck & Sons
Lowell MA 01852
978 458 8688
www.ejbuckpiano.com
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
I Spoke to Bill Yesterday and he felt that, although the bench had been there since the piano was in that house, that it was not an original to the piano.

He gave an explanation that would be best given by him.

Mark Twain

E. J. Buck & Sons
Lowell MA 01852
978 458 8688
www.ejbuckpiano.com

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission