2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (johnesp, drumour, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, 7 invisible), 1,251 guests, and 293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Another idea...maybe we can meet at a piano store or Hammell music? or, at a recital location of sorts?

...another thought- that is, if you don't mind coming out to Ann Arbor I think you can rent the Kerrytown Concert house for a modest gathering- (we'd want to make it more like a soiree) and they have a beautiful Hamburg Steinway C there. Here's the website:

http://www.kerrytownconcerthouse.com/rent/

I think downtown is just a short walk from there and it might be fun to go out to dinner, too!

It's wonderful that there's so much interest among Michigan members in getting together. We'll look forward to attending whatever event can be arranged, whenever!

Carol

Steinway D, No. 528716 (formerly CD-888)
Blüthner 4, No. 150915
Estonia L190, No. 6552
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by P I A N O piano:
...another thought- that is, if you don't mind coming out to Ann Arbor I think you can rent the Kerrytown Concert house for a modest gathering- (we'd want to make it more like a soiree) and they have a beautiful Hamburg Steinway C there. Here's the website:

http://www.kerrytownconcerthouse.com/rent/

I think downtown is just a short walk from there and it might be fun to go out to dinner, too!
Kerrytown's a great idea, and there's plenty of room to have food, etc, unlike a piano store that might not allow it (Hammell just went out of business, anyway, sadly). Kerrytown itself is a neat area, too -- the concert house is right across the street from a quaint shopping center -- and it's just a few blocks from downtown Ann Arbor. Sunday afternoons are the least expensive to rent KCH, and city parking is usually also free then.

Sam
So how does one go about arranging a gathering, anyway- I'd be happy to check into this but how might this "qualify" as a piano world party? and, Sam- are you in Ann Arbor?

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Yep, I sure am.

I checked out the website, and I'm not sure exactly which category we would fall under in terms of pricing. How about if you call this weekend (or I can call) and see if we might be able to get some sort of deal? I don't know if Piano World counts as a non-profit organization; we're certainly not a charity, but a recognized organization nonetheless! (Maybe Frank can help out with this -- perhaps there is a way of making it "official". I just sent him a PM.) Basically, what I think a piano world party would be like, is that we would have the piano available for people to informally play, and have tables set up with some food/drinks. It would be an opportunity for us to meet in person, and basically just have a good time. If it were in the afternoon, say around 3 or 4, we could hang around for a few hours and then walk downtown for dinner, as you suggested.... or, alternately, have some sort of dinner/lunch kind of reception at the party itself, and then not go out somewhere else afterwards. I don't know if it's too soon to try and rent for the 26th or 27th; it would be something to ask about over the phone.

If it ends up being several hundred dollars to rent the concert house, depending on how many people will show up, we could find a way of splitting up the cost. (There are at least 11 people who showed interest already in the Canton party.) It's always much easier when someone has it at their own home, but as a poor student in a small apartment, I'm not really in a position to offer. wink

Sam
Actually- I've been there before and I think there's a small kitchen of sorts and tables, chairs and oh that piano! I think a big reason to gather is to enjoy the piano- casually as we mingle.

Before we go further- maybe we should get a "show of hands"... anyone interested? How about if we try for May sometime?

N
N
I'm interested in an Ann Arbor/Kerrytown party. Or any area gathering. I'm in Northville, but I work in Ann Arbor. I don't have a piano (yet, sigh) so I'm unable to host.

1920 Steinway A3 (rebuilt 2009)
I'm interested too! Count me in! I am from Rochester..

Teri

Definitely we're still interested and will plan to attend!

Carol

Steinway D, No. 528716 (formerly CD-888)
Blüthner 4, No. 150915
Estonia L190, No. 6552
Okay-- so far that's 5 of us?

There is a restaurant (steak house) in Birmingham which has a grand piano in the attached lounge. If we met on a Sunday afternoon the lounge is very slow. Manager might allow us to use the piano and have coffee, desserts, mingle etc..

A couple of years ago, I was hosting out of state pianists. I inquired and and was given approval by management for a get together of this nature on a Sun. afternoon...however our group ended up changing plans.

I'm not sure this would be acceptable to everyone, but its just a thought. If interested, I could inquire.

Teri

Birmingham is a very nice location and is fine with me!

(This venue sounds less complicated -as we'd have to deal with Kerrytown rental and bring our own refreshments...and with only 5 or so people- doesn't sound worth the effort...)

I called the Birmingham steak house I was referring to, and sadly found that the piano has been removed from their lounge - slated to be placed in a new restaurant opening next month. :-(

So.. I am calling other venues to check on feasability of us getting together informally around a piano. There is a place in Madison Heights I know of (small steak and seafood restaurant called "Boodles")which I will check out... and I have messages in at establishments in Birmingham (Beau Jack's), Troy (Charlie's Crab) and Dearborn (Dearborn Inn).

I'll post an update later this week concerning outcome..

Teri

I'm still interested.

N
N
If you want a more accurate count of people who are interested, you might consider PM'ing the people who expressed interest at the beginning of this thread, but haven't responded to the most recent plans. They posted a while ago, but a lot of people read this forum only infrequently.

Nan W

1920 Steinway A3 (rebuilt 2009)
Here's one option so far...:

I just spoke with a manager at Beau Jacks near on 15 Mile Road near corner of Telegraph in Bloomfield Hills. He gave approval for us meeting from 4:00-5:00pm on a Sunday - with advance notice provided. The piano is located in the bar area (which is also smoking section). He said we could alternate playing the piano as long as its not "loud rock music"
(:-) Classical, Jazz, New Age is just fine. This bar opens at 4pm which is why we can't meet earlier...and dinner crowd increases after 5pm.

I will email other options as I become aware of them. Charlies Crab in Troy is my next call, but this might be too far east for some...

If someone finds options closer to Novi, Ann Arbor, I would be happy to travel there for a gathering. Sounds like this will be alot of fun!

Teri R.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Hey Teri, thanks for making so many calls! Bloomfield Hills, Birmingham, Ann Arbor, (or elsewhere) is all fine with me. I'll let you know if I think of something else.

Sam
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member

Sam
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission