Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
135 registered (accordeur, 36251, antony, anotherscott, 42 invisible), 1670 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#922464 - 01/21/07 09:29 PM Re: Picts & Comments from NAMM 2007
Climber Offline

Loc: Colorado
Great job Frank! Thanks for the pics and the comments. I don't blame you for going for some advertisers. Everyone has to make a living.

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
#922465 - 01/21/07 10:06 PM Re: Picts & Comments from NAMM 2007
Norbert Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
Frank:

It was great pleasure to meet you, regrettfully only very shortly under the circumstances of some black magic thrown in at the very moment by Steve Cohen.... \:D

I would have very much loved to have your perception of things and perhaps offer a few of my own in the mix.....

Brick said re being 'snubbed' at the Geneva stand, something that also happened to me last year:

Quote:
I seem to recall a very similar comment from a previous show made by a self-interested anti-Petrof relentlessly propagandizing retailer-Piano World poster called Norbert.
Brick: you may wish to know that the person who did this to me last year, took the oppportunity this time around to 'apologize' to me re the incident.

The same person now also acknowledged the correctness of my perception of things and the circumstances which may have led to it.

The individual now works for a different company..... \:o

Warm thanks to all I had the pleasure to meet, say 'hello' and chat a bit about things.

Including many of my own respected competition.

Norbert

#922466 - 01/22/07 10:52 AM Re: Picts & Comments from NAMM 2007
Piano World Online   blank

Loc: Parsonsfield, ME (orig. Nahant...
Thanks Norbert, it's always nice to be able to put a face to a name. Sorry I didn't have much time to chat.

It was a fun show for me, although I'm a bit tired. Got in about 2:00 a.m. this morning.

I didn't take as many pictures as I would have liked, spent too much time trying to connect with the manufacturers marketing people.

My thanks to the members who helped me make those connections.

I'll try to write a little more later, got some catching up to do. Unfortunately, my email program ate a bunch of emails, I'm not sure how I'm going to figure those out.

I was happy to see one of the manufacturers is working on a new version of their web site, and has done a lot of things right.

It looks like they actually took the time to think about what their customers (the public and their dealers) would want.

The UI is nicely done (user interface), it has a lot of usefull features, and they are using audio/video the way it should be used.

I don't want to say who it is because I'm not sure if they want anyone to know until they launch, but I'll certainly let everyone know when it's live (other manufacturers could take a lesson). I believe it's going live in Feb.

To those of you at the show who wanted to talk more about advertising and/or utilizing my SEO services, please make sure you send me a reminder email.

More later.
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
Facebook.com/PianoWorldDotCom
Twitter.com/PianoWorld
www.youtube.com/PianoWorldDotCom
My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Yamaha P-80, Hammond XK-3, Hammond A-100, Estey 1895 Pump Organ, Harpsichord (kit), Clavichord (kit), Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880
-------------------------
It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!
Invite everyone you know to join our piano forums!
Coming to Maine? We're in Parsonsfield let's get together!

#922467 - 01/22/07 12:03 PM Re: Picts & Comments from NAMM 2007
Steve Cohen Offline

Loc: Maryland/DC/No. VA
Hi Frank.

Great pictures. To bad we didn't take one when we met.

Are you going to do the advertising idea I suggested?

Also, I saw Stevie Wonder too....but he didn't see me!

Did you get any more stuff for the Piano World Contest we talked about? (More on this to come!)

Consultant & Contributing Editor - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.

#922468 - 01/22/07 12:12 PM Re: Picts & Comments from NAMM 2007

I think next year I'll bring someone with me who can take pictures and collect stuff for me :-)

I just sent you a PM about the contest stuff.
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
Twitter.com/PianoWorld
My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Yamaha P-80, Hammond XK-3, Hammond A-100, Estey 1895 Pump Organ, Harpsichord (kit), Clavichord (kit), Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880

#922469 - 01/22/07 01:55 PM Re: Picts & Comments from NAMM 2007
Jazzbo Offline

#922470 - 01/22/07 02:29 PM Re: Picts & Comments from NAMM 2007
Steve Cohen Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Piano World:
Thanks Norbert, it's always nice to be able to put a face to a name. Sorry I didn't have much time to chat.

It was a fun show for me, although I'm a bit tired. Got in about 2:00 a.m. this morning.

I didn't take as many pictures as I would have liked, spent too much time trying to connect with the manufacturers marketing people.

My thanks to the members who helped me make those connections.

I'll try to write a little more later, got some catching up to do. Unfortunately, my email program ate a bunch of emails, I'm not sure how I'm going to figure those out.

I was happy to see one of the manufacturers is working on a new version of their web site, and has done a lot of things right.

It looks like they actually took the time to think about what their customers (the public and their dealers) would want.

The UI is nicely done (user interface), it has a lot of usefull features, and they are using audio/video the way it should be used.

I don't want to say who it is because I'm not sure if they want anyone to know until they launch, but I'll certainly let everyone know when it's live (other manufacturers could take a lesson). I believe it's going live in Feb.

To those of you at the show who wanted to talk more about advertising and/or utilizing my SEO services, please make sure you send me a reminder email.

More later. [/b]
Frank,

Thanks for maintaining what you thought was a confidentiallity on the outstanding website. However, it isn't necessary.

The competitors will be envious when they see the new website. It will be launched by Samick in the next 30-60 days at www.smcmusic.com.

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.

#922471 - 01/22/07 03:01 PM Re: Picts & Comments from NAMM 2007
88Key_PianoPlayer Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: El Cajon, CA
Ok, since I missed seeing almost all of you guys (and other piano guys, like Larry Fine, Franz Mohr (who I don't think was there - anyone know if he's still around?), and others) at the conference (and the couple I did see that said they're on the forums, except for Don Mannino, I wouldn't remember by now), what's the chance that you guys will be at the Cal State convention next month near San Fran? Or should I start thinking about making plans to go to the PTG national convention in June in KC?
1950 (#144211) Baldwin Hamilton
1956 (#167714) Baldwin Hamilton
You can right-click my avatar for an option to view a larger version.

#922472 - 01/22/07 03:02 PM Re: Picts & Comments from NAMM 2007
Piano Peddler Offline

Hi Frank:

I also returned home at 2 AM from Los Angeles and am playing catch-up today. It was good hanging with you and Steve Cohen at the SMC booth and meeting both of you in the flesh; too bad we didn't think of taking a picture of the three of us for PW. I enjoyed your other pics.

Since the National Piano Traveler's Association has their get-togther on Wednesday night before the show opens, perhaps next year we could organize a PW party on another night at one of the hotels there. All we would need is a hospitality suite or meeting room, one of the suppliers to furnish a grand piano (we couldn't have a party without one of those), and refreshments. Maybe we could find some sponsors to help cover costs, or like the NPTA, charge a nominal fee to defray the expenses of the party. All the forum members that are involved at the show would want to attend, as well as dealers and no doubt some industry folks that monitor the forums. Even the non-industry forumites that live in the area would be interested in participating. It could grow into a pretty good-sized gathering.

In response to the inquiries about attending the NAMM show, it is "closed" to the public and the only way to gain admission is to have an official name badge from NAMM that needs to be ordered from a dealer/member or supplier. Teachers, technicians, and even friends/customers often can get their local dealer to order a badge for them, which needs to be done several weeks in advance. As an FYI to anyone that wants to attend at the last minute, even if they have a badge issued to someone else, the security at the show is getting tighter and they require a photo ID to match the name on the badge before they let anyone in the door.

I have attended nearly every NAMM show since 1967 and the public always finds ways to gain admission. In all fairness to the manufacturers and dealers that spend much money to attend the show, they are there to conduct business with each other for a short period of time, and consumers at the show can be a distraction from that process. Perhaps one day the music industry could put on an event like the automotive dealers do in major cities and invite the public.

Anyway, I hope the NAMM show was beneficial for you and look forward to seeing you next year!
and keyboard musician

#922473 - 01/22/07 04:04 PM Re: Picts & Comments from NAMM 2007
teachum Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: idaho
 Quote:
Originally posted by Terrytunes:
Thanks for the pics, Frank, even if it makes me envious seeing those blue, blue skies!!

[Hi, Cecil!! ;\) ]

Hope you all have a grand time!! [/b]
Yes - seeing all that blue sky affected me the same way.

Estonia #6141 in Satin Mahogany

#922474 - 01/22/07 06:02 PM Re: Picts & Comments from NAMM 2007
mamma2my3sons Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Midwest of the great USA
Thanks for the info & pictures Frank!

#922475 - 01/22/07 06:19 PM Re: Picts & Comments from NAMM 2007

BTW, after you've read this thread, you might want to drop in on the...

1st Annual After NAMM Contest thread...
http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/1/16810.html
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
Twitter.com/PianoWorld
My Keyboards:

#922476 - 01/23/07 11:36 AM Re: Picts & Comments from NAMM 2007
Axtremus Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Piano Superstore:

Frank,
You are a true gentleman. It was a true honor to meet you, and thank you for coming by the booth. I am going to frame the picture and put it in our hall of fame at the office.

Thanks!
Frank,

I'm still very curious about this post quoted from Page 1 of this thread -- I'm more curious about this one than everything else about NAMM that's discuss here.

Please tell us more about your encounter with the poster and his booth. \:\)

#922477 - 01/23/07 11:41 AM Re: Picts & Comments from NAMM 2007
Piano*Dad Online   content

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
A former moderator should not troll. :p
Grotrian 192 #156455

https://www.youtube.com/user/dhfeld/videos

#922478 - 01/23/07 02:46 PM Re: Picts & Comments from NAMM 2007
Steve Cohen Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by pianobuff:
All of those beautiful pianos!!! Now where do they go? How does it work? Are the pianos auctioned or sold to dealers who label them as NAMM pianos thus advertising a discount to the public?
Who gets to go to the convention? Only dealers?
Thank again for your replies Frank and all the pictures. It is nice to put a face to a name. [/b]
They are generally sold to one of the larger California dealerships. Special doscounts are given.

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com

#922479 - 01/23/07 02:52 PM Re: Picts & Comments from NAMM 2007
Steve Cohen Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Axtremus:
 Quote:
Originally posted by Piano Superstore:

Frank,
You are a true gentleman. It was a true honor to meet you, and thank you for coming by the booth. I am going to frame the picture and put it in our hall of fame at the office.

Thanks!
Frank,

I'm still very curious about this post quoted from Page 1 of this thread -- I'm more curious about this one than everything else about NAMM that's discuss here.

Please tell us more about your encounter with the poster and his booth. \:\) [/b]
Hi Ax,

While you wait for Frank to respond....
I too was approached by Mr. Wilson. He came into the Samick booth (where I was working as a consultant), looking for me. We had a discussion that I would describe as confrontational but not overtly so.

I'll start a new thread about this encounter as soon as I catch up with business.

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com

#922480 - 01/23/07 03:31 PM Re: Picts & Comments from NAMM 2007
Piano*Dad Online   content

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
Steve,

Please don't. Seriously.

David
Grotrian 192 #156455

https://www.youtube.com/user/dhfeld/videos

#922481 - 01/23/07 03:52 PM Re: Picts & Comments from NAMM 2007

Folks, you're getting off topic here.

I didn't want this thread hijacked (and I do have a little pull around here :-)

This thread is for pictures and reviews of the NAMM show.

If it will help quiet the curious among you...

I wouldn't know the Piano Superstore if I fell over it (apparently I did).

I was chatting with Shawn in the PTG booth about Piano World and advertising. He said there was a booth just up the aisle from them that was promoting pianomoving.com (or thepianomovers.com, or something like that).

So I went up to chat with them. They were nice to me and said they were already familiar with PW. I'm not surprised anymore when people in the business tell me that. He did mention there had been a rather negative thread on the forums about his business (didn't say what business), and that didn't surprise me either, it happens.

I pitched them on advertising on PW and left, end of story. BTW, I've never read any of the threads about piano superstore, and as most of you know, I try to stay out of the middle of things unless there is a need for me to step in.

Now...
CAN WE GET BACK TO REVIEWING THE NAMM SHOW? !!
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
Twitter.com/PianoWorld
My Keyboards:

#922482 - 01/23/07 04:06 PM Re: Picts & Comments from NAMM 2007
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Oh, all right. ;\)

Other than the M&H B, were there any new and exciting piano models introduced?

#922483 - 01/23/07 04:33 PM Re: Picts & Comments from NAMM 2007
Les Koltvedt Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canton, MI
What about the piano I saw in your pics that resembled an upright in the shape of a grand???
PTG Associate

#922484 - 01/23/07 04:35 PM Re: Picts & Comments from NAMM 2007
Les Koltvedt Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canton, MI
SORRY, man I hate these progressives...
PTG Associate

#922485 - 01/23/07 04:38 PM Re: Picts & Comments from NAMM 2007

Quote:
Originally posted by Monster M&H:
SORRY, man I hate these progressives... [/b]
:)
Figured out for yourself that it's a vertical with a grand shaped display against the back?
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
Twitter.com/PianoWorld
My Keyboards:

#922486 - 01/23/07 05:43 PM Re: Picts & Comments from NAMM 2007
CozyWriter Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Chapel Hill, NC
 Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Cohen:
[QUOTE]
Thanks for maintaining what you thought was a confidentiallity on the outstanding website. However, it isn't necessary.

The competitors will be envious when they see the new website. It will be launched by Samick in the next 30-60 days at www.smcmusic.com. [/b]
Steve,

Two things I saw with the new Samick site that might need some attention: I DID like the idea of separately-designed microsites for each brand. It continues a different branding "feel" for each piano, even down to the way the site looks and works.

Having said that, on the Pramberger site [ahem] at a quick first glance it's not clear to the user what's going on with that page. Giving it the quick 2-second glance and doing what a "typical" user would try to do, the eyes go right to the center of the image and the navigation bar at the top becomes "invisible." I try to click on the two lines of type to see the two different lines of pianos, and.... nada.

The fix would be to either make those big type elements in the center clickable (that's the easy fix) or change the whole graphic to pull the navigation elements from above, down into the lefthand side of the page somehow. (more difficult - requires a redesign of the page. I'd go with clickable elements in what they have now, first.)

The second one is the Sohmer site. I'd lose the splash page since it does nothing AND they'll lose up to 50% of their traffic at that point by folks who just click back to Google/Yahoo! and on to the next link on the list.

Can you tell what I do for a Day Job? \:\)

#922487 - 01/23/07 06:01 PM Re: Picts & Comments from NAMM 2007

CozyWriter,

If you are refering to the sites at the current samick link, I don't think you're seeing the new sites yet.

A lot of what I saw was in mock-up and/or test-site mode (correct me if I'm wrong Steve, wouldn't be the first time).
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
Twitter.com/PianoWorld
My Keyboards:

#922488 - 01/23/07 09:13 PM Re: Picts & Comments from NAMM 2007
CozyWriter Offline
500 Post Club Member

well at least they won't HAVE to do a lot of work on the other sites \:\)

#922489 - 01/23/07 09:45 PM Re: Picts & Comments from NAMM 2007
John Citron Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Haverhill, Massachusetts
Hi Frank - It looks like you've had a good time there. Hopefully some of the leads will prove to be fruitful after all.

I look forward to trying the new M&H B at the tour. \:\)

John

#922490 - 01/23/07 10:12 PM Re: Picts & Comments from NAMM 2007
Steve Cohen Offline

Th new site will launch in the next couple of months.

And Cozy is right. The current site leaves a lot to be desired.

Wait 'til you see the new one! It's really nice.

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com

#922491 - 01/23/07 10:38 PM Re: Picts & Comments from NAMM 2007
Piano Peddler Offline

Frank:

You are correct in advising Cozy that the current website is the one we (SMC) has been using for a long time. The new site is completely different and will be interactive, as you saw at the booth on Saturday. I am sure that there will be some hoopla and we will let the PW readers know when it is launched.
and keyboard musician

#922492 - 01/24/07 12:20 AM Re: Picts & Comments from NAMM 2007
CozyWriter Offline
500 Post Club Member

well if you need a knowledgable UI savvy focus group......

I'm at home on my bum for another month, trying not to go batty watching Oprah and Super Surgery.

#922493 - 01/24/07 01:06 AM Re: Picts & Comments from NAMM 2007
Axtremus Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Piano World:

Folks, you're getting off topic here.

I didn't want this thread hijacked (and I do have a little pull around here :-)

This thread is for pictures and reviews of the NAMM show.

If it will help quiet the curious among you...

I wouldn't know the Piano Superstore if I fell over it (apparently I did).

I was chatting with Shawn in the PTG booth about Piano World and advertising. He said there was a booth just up the aisle from them that was promoting pianomoving.com (or thepianomovers.com, or something like that).

So I went up to chat with them. They were nice to me and said they were already familiar with PW. I'm not surprised anymore when people in the business tell me that. He did mention there had been a rather negative thread on the forums about his business (didn't say what business), and that didn't surprise me either, it happens.

I pitched them on advertising on PW and left, end of story. BTW, I've never read any of the threads about piano superstore, and as most of you know, I try to stay out of the middle of things unless there is a need for me to step in.

Now...
CAN WE GET BACK TO REVIEWING THE NAMM SHOW? !!
Thank you for sharing this NAMM[/b] incident with us. \:\)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Need help picking a Beethoven Piano Sonata Slow movement
by oaklandraiders76
12/20/14 04:50 PM
What are some great ways to learn the blues?
by brucepiano
12/20/14 04:37 PM
Do you recommend a back cover on upright with Dampp-Chaser?
by thestar
12/20/14 03:56 PM
kawai model SA-8E upright
by EthanHawaii
12/20/14 02:28 PM
Piano Felt
by Modern Conner
12/20/14 01:37 PM
Forum Stats
77375 Members
42 Forums
160021 Topics
2349940 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission