Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#922529 - 06/27/05 07:41 AM Westchester Party - Photos and reports
jon-nyc Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: the left bank -- of the east r...
Hey - the party was fantastic. It started at 1pm and some of us didn't leave until after 9. I didn't get back to brooklyn until 11:30!

First of all, i'd like to thank Mr. and Mrs. Fingers for being fantastic hosts. The food spread was amazing (ted - DO post the recipe for that artichoke dip!). And they have a beautiful home. (huge, with big woods in back, very peaceful)

Secondly, I want to say that FInger's piano is a true gem. It is absolutely gorgeous, sounds fantastic and gives you amazing control. The pianissimos were so easy to coax out of that piano! And what bass! (its an 1895 S&S B, rebuilt in 2004).

In attendence were Fingers, Grotriman and son, Bootsy, myself, Pete, Linda in PA, Elssa, and two professional jazz men who, unfortunately, don't grace PW with their presence.

Grotriman again demonstrated his uncanny memory, playing 8-10 pieces despite the fact that he has been traveling too much to practice for several weeks. He played a Poulenc tocatta, Ravel's Pavane, Jeux d'eau, and parts of Le Tombeau de Couperin, and A la manere de Borodin. THen he played that amazingly difficult Scarlatti sonata he played at my place in may. Amamzing!

Bootsy played some Liszt pieces that are quite beautiful - from his Years of Pilgrimage (Liszt's, not Bootsy's ;\) ). I was not familiar with these - they're great pieces and he plays so well. Another guy whose life gets in the way of practice but can still sit down and shame us mere mortals.

THen he again demonstrated how he's the best sight-reader since Saint-Saens (ok, an exaggeration, but just a slight one) by reading through some Chopin Nocturnes he hadnt seen in 15 years.

Bootsy and I played the (4-hand) Habanera from Ravel's Rhapsodie Espagnole. Great fun! Lots of finger-choreography necessary - see photos below. (And, if i do say so myself, it didn't suck!)

I also played about half of the Brahms left-hand transcription of Bach's d-mnor Chaconne. Fun piece (at least for us south-paws with large reaches). Then I too played some Ravel (Sonatine, parts of Miriors), a Debussy miniature (La Plus que Lent) and a Satie piece.

Linda played a beautiful Grieg piece (forget which). She is remarkable, you would never guess she just started a couple of years ago! And we're so grateful that she drives so far to attend these things!

Pete and Elssa I met for the first time - they missed earlier parties. They are both more versatile than the rest of us - playing classical, jazz, and (in Elssa's case) ragtime stuff. Elssa's Khachaturian was great. She played a solo piece and then the same piece arranged for 4-hands with, of course, Bootsy (who else could have sight-read it so well?).
Pete played a series of short pieces by.. Faure??? I forget - help me out someone! He's fantastic.

I'm going to post this and continue later - there.s much more to report, but i need to run out for a bit.

I'll add two quick pics - more to come later!

Bootsy and I doing the Habanera.

And this one:

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
#922530 - 06/27/05 11:50 AM Re: Westchester Party - Photos and reports
jon-nyc Offline
2000 Post Club Member

ok.... where did I leave off...

Elssa and Pete. right.

Here's a picture of Elssa:

And here's Pete.

Note the tube amp behind the piano. I think Fingers has 4 of these. He could trade in his stereo equipment for a Bosendorfer Imperial and get money back.

Here's Linda and Professor Bootsy:

As I said before, Fingers had two professional jazz musicians come. First is Frank, a friend of Fingers from childhood. Here's a shot of him, note how gorgeous the piano is (btw, i think grotriman has better images of the piano).

[someone else please provide some color commentary on the jazz guys - i'm so ignorant of the genre, all i can say is how good it was!]

Fingers played some impressive jazz as well, by himself and with Ben, his son:

Ben was everyone's favorite duo partner. Here he is with Bootsy:

Here's a cute one of Ben playing after going swimming:

Here's Brian, Finger's other professional jazz friend. I think he is also Ben's teacher. He was classically trained for years and years before he got into jazz. He also sread some Chopin Nocturns that he hadn't seen in years as well as playing some great jazz. (what was the name of that final piece, anyone?)

ANyway, here's Brian:

#922531 - 06/27/05 11:54 AM Re: Westchester Party - Photos and reports
jon-nyc Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Three more pics.

Here's Grotriman:

Here's one of Pete and Frank:

And here's a keyboard shot Grotriman took of Bootsy and I doing the Habanera. Cool perspective.

#922532 - 06/27/05 12:27 PM Re: Westchester Party - Photos and reports
sophial Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
Thanks for posting the great photos and the narrative of the party! That piano is absolutely gorgeous!

Sophia

#922533 - 06/27/05 03:28 PM Re: Westchester Party - Photos and reports
Jeffrey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Wow. Sorry I missed it. Hope there is another one real soon. \:\(

#922534 - 06/27/05 03:47 PM Re: Westchester Party - Photos and reports
BeeLady Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Massachusetts
Great pics! Sounds like the party went swimmingly! :p

Life is like a roll of toilet paper...the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes!

#922535 - 06/27/05 03:48 PM Re: Westchester Party - Photos and reports
LaPianista Offline

Loc: New York City
Sorry I missed it too. A wonderful piano, photogenic, too. Maybe next time.. La Pianista

#922536 - 06/27/05 04:36 PM Re: Westchester Party - Photos and reports
Terrytunes Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Tewksbury MA
Jon... great pics and a fun to read review. Thanks for sharing both.

Fingers... it looks like there is some type of film for UV protection on the windows(????) yes???!! Your piano & room are beautiful!

Linda... you're such a sweetie... you wore your name tag!!! ;\)

#922537 - 06/27/05 05:28 PM Re: Westchester Party - Photos and reports
pete Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: port washington, ny, us
[QUOTE]Originally posted by jon-nyc:
[
Pete played a series of short pieces by.. Faure??? I forget - help me out someone!
Actually it was selections from "Poetic Waltzes" by Enrique Granados. (I think I mistakenly told Bootsy it was Albeniz. Sorry. I don't even know what I'm playing. ) :rolleyes:

I was also wondering who the old guy in the white shirt was, then saw that it was a picture of myself.

#922538 - 06/27/05 06:28 PM Re: Westchester Party - Photos and reports
RealPlayer Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: NYC
Sounds like a great time was had by all. Wish I could have been there. Ah, well, another time!

www.josephkubera.com

#922539 - 06/27/05 08:09 PM Re: Westchester Party - Photos and reports
fingers Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Westchester, NY
I would like to offer my heartfelt thanks to each of you for bringing your joyous musical spirit(and all the delicious goodies, of course)into my home.

To Grotriman, Jon-nyc and Bootsy, there would be no party without you, as you are the driving pulse behind it all.

Linda from PA, who didn't think twice about driving 3 hours each way, played so beautifully that Mrs. fingers was genuinely moved by her playing.

Elssa, you are going to have to show me those hip changes and voicings! You move between classical and jazz seemingly effortlessly. When can you come back?

Pete, I wish I had recorded your duo with Frank. With the money I'd make from selling the cd's, I could buy a few more amps. Perhaps it would be better spent on building a Ravel collection. What do you think- jon?

Believe it or not, there is still smoke rising from the strings after Frank and Brian got through playing. Brian and I continued until 2 AM.
I'm glad everyone found the piano to be OK. It's not bad for a Steinway.

Terrytunes- You're good. Yes, UV film on the windows. Great call! Now, can you identify the brand/model of piano from the small pictures on the window ledge?

BTW, did anybody forget their kids? There seems to be a few more than when we started.

Regards,
fingers

#922540 - 06/27/05 08:18 PM Re: Westchester Party - Photos and reports
Bootsy Offline

Loc: Yonkers, NY
Dear Friends,

Man do I love you guys! If you weren't at the chez Fingers party, I wouldn't think that you should believe what I would say about the high quality of playing -- so many fine pianists, so many excellent improvisers, such varied repertory (although Ravel still predominates, given his two encyclopediac advocates, jon-nyc and grotriman); fabulous professionals and unbelievable amateurs (take Linda: how can it possibly be that she's only had 2 1/2 years of lessons, she sightread four-hands music with me beautifully! and then so many others); and the net made this possible?

Sounds unlikely to me, but I swear it's true. It was such a pleasure to hang with Fingers and his family, to jam with Ben duo style, to miss a note in Liszt and hear "What the hell was that?" shouted from halfway across the house -- all in all about the best piano party imaginable.

As was grotriman's, as was jon-nyc's, these events have been so much fun. Also, a pleasure to meet Elssa and Pete for the first time, and also Fingers' (pro) piano friends. Holy crap, Brian played the heck out of the Chopin Nocturnes -- most of the attendees missed that, since it came just before the stragglers departed -- that was some of the most impressive playing that I've ever heard. He's amazing.

Plus of course the outstanding 1890s Steinway, superb in every way. Does it get any better than this?

Great munchies too. Lunch and dinner included.

Thanks for the pics and reviews guys. I really had a wonderful time, and I especially want to thank our hosts. Thank you so much for inviting us into your beautiful home, and for letting so many people have their way with your stunning Steinway!

It's been such a pleasure to play these three insanely great pianos. I couldn't rank them for a million dollars. They are all fantastic (Grotrian, Bosendorfer, antique rebuilt Steinway), each is remarkably different from the others, each is incredibly responsive, and each offers different possibilities.

Best,

Bootsy

#922541 - 06/27/05 09:04 PM Re: Westchester Party - Photos and reports
Bootsy Offline

Loc: Yonkers, NY
Hey Pete, also:

Granados, of course!

I really, really love those waltzes. Granados is a much-overlooked composer, and I've never seen the score to those waltzes before, but it was a real pleasure to hear you play them. (Goyescas anyone?) Also, the Grieg was a Nocturne, alerting me to yet another blind spot in my knowledge of the repertory -- what a beautiful piece, and what sensitive playing!

Each piano party brings more revelations.

Best,

Bootsy

#922542 - 06/27/05 10:43 PM Re: Westchester Party - Photos and reports
Elssa Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NY
Fingers: I just want to thank you and your wife so much for hosting such a fabulous party in your beautiful home with your exquisite piano (which have to admit I was a little intimidated of before I played it and found out how "user friendly" it is)! I thought everyone's playing was really amazing and inspiring, and I got a lot of good ideas on beautiful & challenging pieces to *try* to learn in the future.

Sure, anytime you want to chat about jazz piano chops, etc., that'd be great \:\) BTW, here is the link to that jazz club in Peekskill I mentioned..

www.onestationplaza.com

Besides great concerts, they have sessions where you can actually sit in and play with some real pro players..(I'm not at a level to do that yet, but you sure sound like you are).

Thanks again! I had a lot of fun and plan to be a regular piano party participant in the future \:\)

#922543 - 06/28/05 03:24 AM Re: Westchester Party - Photos and reports
jon-nyc Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fingers:
[QB]Perhaps it would be better spent on building a Ravel collection. What do you think- jon?
Ha!

I did forget to report that Grotriman and I are creating Ravel converts. Fingers is shopping for a collected piano works CD, Bootsy bought his last week and is now shopping for sheet music!

#922544 - 06/28/05 05:13 AM Re: Westchester Party - Photos and reports
kathyk Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
I'm so jealous. I've been to several PW parties, but never one where there was so much 4-hand fun.

Great pics!

#922545 - 06/28/05 07:12 AM Re: Westchester Party - Photos and reports
Terrytunes Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Tewksbury MA
Terrytunes- You're good. Yes, UV film on the windows. Great call! Now, can you identify the brand/model of piano from the small pictures on the window ledge?

Fingers... No cheating here on the UV film as possibly you have mentioned it in a prior post (and I do remember it being discussed on the forum quite sometime ago) but I have to admit I did review a few of your posts in attempting to solve the mystery of the windowsill piano pics.

Check out my answer on a pm. And for anyone else interested...Hey, do your own detective work! \:D

#922546 - 06/28/05 10:06 AM Re: Westchester Party - Photos and reports
pete Offline
500 Post Club Member

Note the tube amp behind the piano. I think Fingers has 4 of these. He could trade in his stereo equipment for a Bosendorfer Imperial and get money back.

There's nothing in those tubes except a vacuum.

This party, and this thread, really exemplifies the best of Piano World, and is so much more fun than a cat fight between piano dealers.

#922547 - 06/28/05 11:26 AM Re: Westchester Party - Photos and reports
jon-nyc Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pete:
This party, and this thread, really exemplifies the best of Piano World, and is so much more fun than a cat fight between piano dealers. [/b]
Hear, Hear!

#922548 - 06/28/05 12:07 PM Re: Westchester Party - Photos and reports
fingers Offline
500 Post Club Member

"There's nothing in those tubes except a vacum"

A VACUM, huh.

No wonder why I like the sound of tubes so much, that's exactly what's in between my two ears!

regards,
fingers

#922549 - 06/28/05 12:49 PM Re: Westchester Party - Photos and reports
Grotriman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
 Quote:
"There's nothing in those tubes except a vacum"

A VACUM, huh.

No wonder why I like the sound of tubes so much, that's exactly what's in between my two ears!

regards,
fingers [/b]
When excited by the proper voltage they also exhibit thermionic emission. Just like what is between your ears too Fingers!!!

Grotriman

#922550 - 06/28/05 02:08 PM Re: Westchester Party - Photos and reports
jon-nyc Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Grotriman:
When excited by the proper voltage they also exhibit thermionic emission.[/b]
Can you say that on this forum?

#922551 - 06/28/05 03:53 PM Re: Westchester Party - Photos and reports
Linda in PA Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: PA - USA
 Quote:
Originally posted by Bootsy:

Man do I love you guys! [/b]
Aaah, Bootsy - my sentiments, exactly! I feel so fortunate to be a part of this group. You are all wonderfully talented, generous, fun-loving people whom it is my great pleasure to know. My sincere thanks to all of you.

A few special acknowledgements:

fingers and family:[/b] What can I say? You were the perfect hosts from beginning to end. The personalized directions, a beautiful home in a serene setting, a magnificently prepared piano, great food, a gathering of "old" friends, the inclusion of fresh faces - you pulled it all together! I had a great time and appreciate all the work it took for you to make it possible. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Bootsy, jon, Grotriman, and fingers:[/b] Thank you for the helpful pedaling suggestions and for your encouragement with the Grieg Nocturne! I'll keep working on this piece and will play it at a future gathering so that you can see the fruits of your efforts.

Grotriman:[/b] When I arrived, you were already in midst of the Scarlatti sonata. What I did hear just blew my mind. I hope you'll play it again so that I can hear it from the beginning. Please tell Lex that I missed him - and tell Oliver that I wish he had played for us!

jon and Bootsy:[/b] The Habanera was inspired! It was such fun to not only listen to you play, but to watch you as well. You've definitely started a trend worth continuing.

Bootsy:[/b] Thank you for your patience in playing the Ravel Beauty and the Beast duet with me. I had a blast. Elena provided me with some duet suggestions. I'll check them out and then send you a PM. If you are still willing to be my partner, I'd enjoy preparing a duet for the next party!

pete and Elssa:[/b] I'm so happy that you joined us! I enjoyed hearing both of you play - and admire your musical versatility. I hope that you will become "regulars" at our NY Piano Club parties.

fingers, Elssa, and Ben:[/b] Thank you for your explanation of chord extensions, chord progressions, and improvisation. I'm looking forward to playing around with this a bit this summer.

jon and Grotriman:[/b] Thanks for taking the great pictures - good color quality, interesting visual composition - your talents for photography are right up there with your musical abilities!

Terrytunes:[/b] You bet I wore my name tag! Thanks, again, for making it for me. I'll think of you as I wear it to every PW party.

Jeffrey, Bernard, and LaPianista:[/b] I missed you guys!!! Hope to see you at the next party!

RealPlayer:[/b] I keep coming close to meeting you, but it seems like something always intervenes. One of these days, our paths are bound to cross. I look forward to that day!

Again, my thanks to everyone for a memorable day!

#922552 - 06/28/05 04:45 PM Re: Westchester Party - Photos and reports
fingers Offline
500 Post Club Member

Grotriman-

[/qb][/QUOTE]When excited by the proper voltage they also exhibit thermionic emission [/QB][/QUOTE]

Sometimes they don't, that's why they sell those little blue pills. :p

fingers

#922553 - 06/28/05 08:05 PM Re: Westchester Party - Photos and reports
RealPlayer Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: NYC
 Quote:
Originally posted by Linda in PA:
RealPlayer:[/b] I keep coming close to meeting you, but it seems like something always intervenes. One of these days, our paths are bound to cross. I look forward to that day!
[/b]
I'm sorry I missed you too, Linda, and sorry I missed the party. I am really under the gun with practicing and have to play their pieces for two composers in the coming week.

I'm sure we'll meet up soon. If not at a piano gathering then...hmmm, I go bicycling in central-western New Jersey now and then. Maybe not far from you? \:\)

www.josephkubera.com

#922554 - 06/28/05 09:50 PM Re: Westchester Party - Photos and reports
Elssa Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NY
>, a magnificently prepared piano..

It sure beat a home-made piano constructed with the help of Home Depot! ;\)

#922555 - 06/29/05 05:40 AM Re: Westchester Party - Photos and reports
pete Offline
500 Post Club Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bootsy:
[QB] Hey Pete, also:

Granados, of course!

I really, really love those waltzes. Granados is a much-overlooked composer, and I've never seen the score to those waltzes before,
I just looked at the sheet music, and it was published in Bedford Hills, New York, literally minutes from where the party was held. Odd coincidence. I ordered it from the Piano Today website, which I think is operated by a fellow named Stuart Isakoff, a brilliant guy, and author of a book on tempering pianos.

#922556 - 06/29/05 07:40 AM Re: Westchester Party - Photos and reports
fingers Offline
500 Post Club Member

Elssa, uhhhhhhh...
That was a home-made piano constructed with the help of Home Depot.

It sounded pretty good but it has since fallen apart. I'm using the parts to build a musical Go-Cart. Once it hits speeds above 5 mph, it automatically upshifts and starts playing Ravel.

Regards,
fingers

#922557 - 06/29/05 10:29 AM Re: Westchester Party - Photos and reports
jon-nyc Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Hey grotriman - don't you have more pictures to post?

#922558 - 06/29/05 11:53 AM Re: Westchester Party - Photos and reports
fingers Offline
500 Post Club Member

Forgot to mention- As if it's not enough that Grotriman has great chops and musical sensitivity, he gave us a lesson on regulation by way of demonstration on 2 different fully functional action models. This guy is good.

Don't try this at home kids!

Regards,
fingers

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Advice? First digital piano for family--already own a GP
by SCD
10/20/14 07:58 PM
Help with my DGX-650 and Synthesia!
by Jtreimer
10/20/14 07:21 PM
Piano tuning career prospects 2014
by Morrisos
10/20/14 06:56 PM
Ack! My piano is diseased!
by TwoSnowflakes
10/20/14 06:34 PM
Painting Piano Keys
by imustlearn
10/20/14 06:00 PM
Who's Online
126 registered (anamnesis, 36251, anotherscott, accordeur, Alkanaut, 40 invisible), 1445 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76599 Members
42 Forums
158391 Topics
2325853 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission