Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#922911 - 06/14/05 05:46 AM Steinway, Grane and Pray for Rain
Grane Offline

Loc: Greater Miami
On Friday, June 24th Steinway on Long Island is hosting a History Class event which is ideal for Steinway buffs and those interested in the history of the Steinway piano.

Jim Hoover, Steinway historian, will talk about some interesting and colorful events in the company's history since 1853

Following Jim, Grane will play (very briefly, thankfully)

Then there is a wine tasting

There is no charge. The event starts at 7PM and is at the Steinway Piano Gallery Westbury. 1504 Old Country Road, Westbury.

If you plan on attending please email Chris Patti at cpatti@steinway.com or call him at 516.512.0100

P.S. You don't have to own or even intend to buy a Steinway. It's okay. See you there!!!

P.P.S. PW members are invited to critique my performance.

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
#922912 - 06/14/05 05:04 PM Re: Steinway, Grane and Pray for Rain
Linda in PA Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: PA - USA
Grane:

Thanks for posting the info. Best of luck with your performance - that's great!!! And, no, I will not pray for rain. :p

Have fun . . . Linda

#922913 - 06/14/05 05:48 PM Re: Steinway, Grane and Pray for Rain
Grane Offline

Thanks Linda in PA. Appreciate the support.

Actually, the original saying was a Boston Braves Baseball term from around 1950, "Spahn, Sain and pray for rain" as the Braves had only two good pitchers so the rain would give them an extra day off.

#922914 - 06/14/05 05:49 PM Re: Steinway, Grane and Pray for Rain
pete Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: port washington, ny, us
Funny title for the thread. Spahn, Sain, Boston Braves...Boston pianos.
Chris Patti at Steinway is an extremely nice guy. I know Piano World tends to slam Steinway, and sales people, but when you make sweeping generalizations, sometimes you forget that there are some very nice human beings that are included in those generalizations.
I hope some of you Piano World types do attend, and post your impressions of the evening, as to the factual accuracy of what you are told about the Steinway history, and its present.

#922915 - 06/14/05 06:35 PM Re: Steinway, Grane and Pray for Rain
fingers Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Westchester, NY
Pete- "Piano World tends to slam Steinway and sales people"- Noooohhh, no way, Really? I hadn't noticed. Where did you get that silly idea from? :p

I've met Chris Patti and yes, he's a great guy! I also know his brother,- Beef. \:D
I actually purchased from Joe H. A stellar example of a true professional.

Regards,
fingers

#922916 - 06/15/05 07:45 PM Re: Steinway, Grane and Pray for Rain
pete Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fingers:
[
I've met Chris Patti and yes, he's a great guy! I also know his brother,- Beef. \:D
I actually purchased from Joe H. [/QB]
That wouldn't be Beef's other brother, "Sloppy" Joe? \:D

#922917 - 06/17/05 05:44 AM Re: Steinway, Grane and Pray for Rain
LJC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
I'll see you guys there. I didn't know we were getting a performance too. I bought my piano from Chris Patti. Couldn't have had a better experience.

#922918 - 06/17/05 01:29 PM Re: Steinway, Grane and Pray for Rain
Grane Offline

LJC -- that's great -- nothing like more pressure. Yes, Chris is great and I'd say more things but he might be reading these posts...

Look forward to meeting you!!!

...and for those who are joining us, you might like to know William (President until around 1896) kept track of everything imaginable in his diary, including personal, ahem, matters...

#922919 - 06/17/05 06:27 PM Re: Steinway, Grane and Pray for Rain
sophial Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
Hi Grane
Sorry I can't be there-- sounds like fun. What are you going to play?

Sophia

#922920 - 06/18/05 05:32 AM Re: Steinway, Grane and Pray for Rain
Grane Offline

Sophia -- yes it should be good -- I heard Jim last year and he has a wealth of knowledge about Steinway. Believe he headed up the training program for sales reps and may still.

Where do you live?

Doing Schubert Impromptu in Gflat. Given I've only had formal lessons for 3.5 years, will be a challenge - but the concert grand there is in good shape and I look forward to it. When I began taking lessons did not intend to play for others -- so just going where it takes me and living for the moment.

#922921 - 06/18/05 05:57 AM Re: Steinway, Grane and Pray for Rain
pete Offline
500 Post Club Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Grane:
[QB] Sophia -- yes it should be good -- I heard Jim last year and he has a wealth of knowledge about Steinway.
I would be most appreciative if any Piano Worlders present would be able to post what Jim has to say.

#922922 - 06/18/05 07:23 AM Re: Steinway, Grane and Pray for Rain
Grane Offline

pete== that would be quite a task. Have you read Lieberman's book? It's the source of much of Jim's comments. Fostle is also excellent. These two have tremendous background on the company and they both have done scholarly work sifting through the archives.

All I'm saying is Jim goes into soooo much, that capturing it can be a huge task. Is there anything in particular you are interested in?

Also, some of his comments boarder on risque. As you may know William, President until 1896, kept a diary of everything, and I mean "everything..."

#922923 - 06/18/05 09:15 AM Re: Steinway, Grane and Pray for Rain
sophial Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Hi Grane
good luck with it! I used to live on the east coast but have migrated west now.
I'm impressed that after 3.5 years you're playing the Schubert. have a fun time everyone!

Sophia

#922924 - 06/18/05 09:57 AM Re: Steinway, Grane and Pray for Rain
pete Offline
500 Post Club Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Grane:
[QB] pete== that would be quite a task. Have you read Lieberman's book? It's the source of much of Jim's comments. Fostle is also excellent. These two have tremendous background on the company and they both have done scholarly work sifting through the archives.

All I'm saying is Jim goes into soooo much, that capturing it can be a huge task. Is there anything in particular you are interested in?

Whether the presentation is closer to the truth or merely myth propagation.

#922925 - 06/18/05 10:11 AM Re: Steinway, Grane and Pray for Rain
wolfindmist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: In a state full of Volcanoes
Bring a tape recorder or ask him if he could send you some notes or make a post here on the forums.

You wrote:
Also, some of his comments boarder on risque. As you may know William, President until 1896, kept a diary of everything, and I mean "everything..."

My reply: sounds like a fun read tome; I like risque. Was William OCD afflicted or something to keep a diary on "everything"
-- wolf

Quote:
Originally posted by Grane:
pete== that would be quite a task. Have you read Lieberman's book? It's the source of much of Jim's comments. Fostle is also excellent. These two have tremendous background on the company and they both have done scholarly work sifting through the archives.

Also, some of his comments boarder on risque. As you may know William, President until 1896, kept a diary of everything, and I mean "everything..." [/b]

#922926 - 06/18/05 11:46 AM Re: Steinway, Grane and Pray for Rain
Grane Offline

Sophia -- (oohhh, Tristan's on the radio now on WQXR so my mind is wandering.)

Oh yes, well as you may have read on other posts I was self-taught starting at 12 and worked diligently until college. Last 16 years didn't touch the piano and decided lessons would be good. So I didn't start from scratch 3.5 years ago. Also, some say I can be focused...

Mr. Wolfinmidst -- now is that Oklahoma you're in? If so, I spent a lot of time in Bartlesville. At any rate, I'll ask if they can record...

William wrote everything down, meetings, discussion, social interactions including those with his wife -- which I might add were quite frequent until she said she needed more and fooled around on him. But don't want to give it all away and don't want to create the impression that's all Jim might talk about. There may be children there so you may have to PM me for the best parts....

Still recommend both books if you are interested in the history of this company -- it's really fascinating. Thanks to William's diary, we know a lot more about daily life in the late 1890s - both work and personal. Fostle in particular goes to great lengths to explain what was going on in NYC from 1850 to 1900. A great history lesson on society, labor movement, working, competitiveness, economic ups and downs and more.

Steinway history is also a history of the piano and business.

#922927 - 06/19/05 04:00 PM Re: Steinway, Grane and Pray for Rain
sophial Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Grane,
interesting, you started playing about when I stopped the first time (age 12), that is stopped taking lessons. I played sporadically during college and after, but lots of other things got in the way. Made a few attempts to take lessons, but decided to get serious this year and bought the L and started studying classical piano again.

Hope it all goes well. Post pictures and a music clip (if possible) afterwards!

Sophia

#922928 - 06/20/05 07:37 AM Re: Steinway, Grane and Pray for Rain
Grane Offline

Sophia -- how many years of lessons until 12?

I too had things get in the way, like children, job, travel and broken Knabe that was 70+ years old.

Will see if someone has a camera, not sure about taping. Taping Jim would be more interesting.

pete--never answered your question about truth or myth. Last year Jim was quite honest and frankly the history of Steinway is interesting enough.

This is not a sales event. It's more of a publicity thing. As mentioned in earlier post, the history of Steinway is to some extent the history of the piano in America-- or at least a big part of it.

Considering the piano and all related jobs consumed about 8% of all NYC jobs around 1900, probably few of the younger folks on this site understand the piano then was what the automobile, the PC and the ipod are today combined.

#922929 - 06/20/05 09:42 AM Re: Steinway, Grane and Pray for Rain
sophial Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Hi Grane
about 6 years of lessons before 12 and of course wish now I had never stopped.. hindsight being what it is. I detoured into some jazz lessons and popular music for awhile and still enjoy that, although good jazz improvisation still eludes me. I think at heart I'm a classical girl, so am back to my roots. \:\)

Sophia

#922930 - 06/23/05 08:07 PM Re: Steinway, Grane and Pray for Rain
Grane Offline

Just a reminder about tomorrow evening starting at 7pm at Steinway in Westbury.

See above for details.

Look forward to seeing/meeting all!!!

#922931 - 06/27/05 05:09 AM Re: Steinway, Grane and Pray for Rain
Grane Offline

Well...well...well... heading off to Jackson Hole before starting a new job. Pics are coming or I'd post them now.

...stay tuned

Hey, got to meet LJC which was a treat. And yes, I made it through my Schubert.

#922932 - 06/30/05 05:41 AM Re: Steinway, Grane and Pray for Rain
LJC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Grane, Nice job with the Schubert! It was great meeting you also. As for Jim's speech it was not just the history of the Steinway piano but also of the Steinway family all put into the context of the times. Interesting that Steinway men led the troops that put down the draft riots in New York City while other members of the family saved the factory by paying off the mob and housing the troops in the factory.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
120 registered (AndrewJCW, 36251, Aleksandra Bukala, Beakybird, 41 invisible), 1730 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75528 Members
42 Forums
156186 Topics
2293580 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Toyama Piano- A Year On.
by TheAccompanist
Today at 09:39 AM
Frederick Historical Piano Benefit Concert - July 29 2014
by Terrytunes
Today at 09:25 AM
Using a (continuous) sustain pedal as expression
by barmassimo
Today at 09:06 AM
PianoDiscs and Synthesia
by pianistfromSG
Today at 08:49 AM
[AMAZING PIANO COMP.] Anyone able to transcribe it from ear?
by Weakky
Today at 08:49 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission