Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
116 registered (Anita Potter, allakart, accordeur, A Guy, 36251, 35 invisible), 1398 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#923382 - 10/13/08 07:43 PM Gulf Coast members out there...
Ed Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Pensacola, FL
I thought I would try to tease out the Gulf Coast demographic of the PW Forums. I'm a recent transplant to Pensacola, tip-of-the-FL-panhandle from the, Washington DC metro area.

Geographically, Pensacola enjoys closer proximity to southern Alabama and Mississippi, than to the rest of FL. Also, my SO has close ties to New Orleans.

So let's see who else resides in this central Gulf Coast region of the country.

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
#923383 - 10/13/08 11:20 PM Re: Gulf Coast members out there...
John Pels Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Tomball, Texas
Ed, welcome, thanks for your service. My son is in the Navy (about 6 months). I live in the Houston area. I teach piano and collect pianos as a hobby. Pensacola's not exactly a hop skip and a jump from Houston, so I'm not sure that I am part of the demographic that you are seeking. I did buy a piano from New Orleans though. Flying was always on my list of things to accomplish, but now that I seem to be cranking out kidney stones on a fairly regular basis, I understand that this will prevent me from getting a license or keeping one active. What is even more unfortunate is that I bought a kitplane to build. Sometimes one just can't win.

#923384 - 10/14/08 08:20 PM Re: Gulf Coast members out there...
Ed Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hi John,

I hope your son is enjoying his Navy experience. What is his career path?

I think inland of the coast also counts. I hope you weren't too scathed by Ike. Being the huge metropolitan area that Houston is, there should be a healthy piano population there. Piano collecting must be an interesting hobby. Of what interesting pianos does your collection comprise.

Kidney stones can certainly be problematic. On the other hand, if you can figure out how to stop generating them, after a "sufficient" period of time lapses to prove you are at low risk, you could probably return to flying.

What kind of kit did you buy?

#923385 - 10/14/08 10:40 PM Re: Gulf Coast members out there...
John Pels Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Ed, my son's career path seems to be ever-changing. He initially was gung ho for the SEAL program. His legs seemed to have other ideas. The shin splints never managed to "heal", and he realized that if he ever got out to Coronado he'd be in BIG trouble. So, now the plan is OCS. He already has a college degree.

I collect big pianos. I have a Mehlin, Knabe, Weber, Mason& Hamlin and Baldwin. All are concert grands. The Baldwin is non-functional, being a product of hurricane Katrina and is a longshot project of great proportions.

As to the stones, the Doc is getting rich on me but I can tell, really is not much interested in solving the underlying problem. I began the problem in college 30 years ago and it has gotten worse. I got off milk early on because they then said to cut back on calcium and oxalates. Now I read that calcium will not be absorbed if combined with oxalates at mealtime. In other words, if I drink supposedly 3 glasses of milk with meals, the oxalates ant calcium should not be absorbed but rather flushed. Hmmm... sounds promising. It likely wont' work, but it is worth a try. Lithotripsy has proven to not work and I REALLy didn't enjoy the laser surgery and stent last time around. I'll try any logical suggestion. Witch Doctor maybe??

The kit is a Wheeler Express CT which is a 4 place fiberglass kit, that performs supposedly like a Mooney among others. The cruciform tail proved to be a little less than desirable in some regimes, but there are a bunch flying. Low and slow in the pattern is not advised.

#923386 - 10/24/08 11:23 PM Re: Gulf Coast members out there...
Ed Offline
500 Post Club Member

Your son is wise.

Must be fun having all those big pianos.

How about crystal therapy... Urologist I am not. Although, I'm frequently paged from the emergency room instead, as in, "Hey, somebody page U (heard as Nu) rology."

I'm not sure why anyone would want to fly an airplane slowly, anyway... \:D

#923387 - 10/27/08 10:46 AM Re: Gulf Coast members out there...
John Pels Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Ed, the speed thing is relative. The kit will fly 220mph, which is a lot faster than the legal limit for cars. As to the flying thing, it's just one of those things I always wanted to do. I can't believe that there have been no more respondents in the gulf-coast area. I would try posting in the other forums, namely the piano and pianist corner forums.

As to the stones, I have a friend that tells me I need to market kidney stone jewelry on Ebay with the newly discovered element "Pelsite". Hmmm......

#923388 - 10/30/08 08:10 AM Re: Gulf Coast members out there...
John Pels Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Ed, I re-posted this in two other forums, "piano" and "pianist corner". Check the responses there. There are about 8 more.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!

Happy Thanksgiving!
Happy Thanksgiving!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Steinway legs?
by Klavimaniac
11/27/14 06:58 PM
1875 legs and lyre where to get?
by Klavimaniac
11/27/14 06:02 PM
"It Don't mean A Thing (If it Ain't...
by prout
11/27/14 04:43 PM
Yamaha CP33?
by Possum SP280Krome
11/27/14 04:16 PM
E4 Just Won't Come Into Tune
by Cobra1365
11/27/14 03:49 PM
Forum Stats
77071 Members
42 Forums
159406 Topics
2341619 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission