Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#923766 - 05/15/07 06:15 PM DIY forum?
w_scott_iv@yahoo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: West Virginia
I think it would be really valuable to have a forum for people/hobbyists who want to restore their old piano themselves. With so many old pianos available for little or no money, it would be a great way for someone w/limited means to obtain access to a piano. Who knows, even someone who already owns a very nice instrument might want to get an old upright just to become more familiar w/the workings of a piano. In any case, we get posts everyday from people looking for help w/pianos that are of no interest to dealers and techs. A forum for do-it-yourself'ers might be a better place to deal w/those and offer them another option at the same time.

Piano & Music Accessories
#923767 - 05/16/07 11:38 AM Re: DIY forum?
Jim Puckett Offline

Loc: Mount Vernon, Ohio
I agree that this would be a helpful designation. While most techs are helpful and kind, I would appreciate the divide of knowing whether a thread was "shop talk" or whether I was commenting to a DIY owner.

I have seen posts where techs give expert advice only to have a DIY owner jump in at how they had done it on their own without the training or expertise. The validity of these results is ambiguous at best in this type of forum.

I would prefer a tech to tech area and another area (whether it be DIY or ASK THE TECHS or some such thing)

Thanks for a great forum!

#923768 - 05/16/07 01:27 PM Re: DIY forum?
w_scott_iv@yahoo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

It also may facilitate a place where individuals can post pictures related to their piano projects w/o clogging up the tech to tech area.

#923769 - 05/17/07 12:18 PM Re: DIY forum?
Zormpas Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Monterey, Ca
I'd be interested in a DIY forum as well. The techs have been VERY nice and helpful in the tech forum - but I can understand that tyros would annoy them at times. With a DIY forum, there would be some "truth in advertising", techs could pop over there to help out and know their audience.

I've been working on my old upright for almost 3 years now - have been having a TON of fun, and learning a LOT. I also have done things backwards, wrong, three times, and most especially "the hard way" - but that's part of the fun of learning. It has also taught me a HUGE amount of respect for those who do this full time!

It also hasn't been particularly cheap, but I knew that going in.

I lurk a lot on the tech's forum, and peruse the PTG email archives - you can learn a LOT just by listening to (and not interrupting) the shop talk.

So let's have a DIY forum - I'd be more encouraged to ask stupid questions in one...
1918 Hobart M. Cable "H"
"No-one would knowingly provide Franz Liszt with a mediocre piano." -E. M. Good

#923770 - 05/17/07 12:22 PM Re: DIY forum?
w_scott_iv@yahoo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Zormpas,
I checked out your piano pictures. You've really gotten into it in a big way!

#923771 - 05/17/07 12:35 PM Re: DIY forum?
Zormpas Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Monterey, Ca
 Quote:
Originally posted by w_scott@verizon.net:
Zormpas,
I checked out your piano pictures. You've really gotten into it in a big way! [/b]
Oh yea. Gotten into trouble from time to time too! I'm really glad to have a sympathetic tech to advise me, and tell me when I screwed up. Not to mention doing things that I feel are beyond me.
1918 Hobart M. Cable "H"
"No-one would knowingly provide Franz Liszt with a mediocre piano." -E. M. Good

#923772 - 05/17/07 12:55 PM Re: DIY forum?
Supply Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
This is the first time I have ventured to this forum. Didn't know it existed - I followed this thread from the Tech forum. (Does anyone ever come here????)

I sure hope this idea is heard by the powers that be. I think a DIY forum would be a win-win-win situation. I kno w a lot of techs get put off by the high volume of non tech-to-tech traffic on the (supposedly) tech forum, and it is a real detriment to PW if real experts avoid the site on such grounds.

Piattino Caster Cups distributor

#923773 - 05/17/07 01:00 PM Re: DIY forum?
Joe A Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I am a total amateur who likes to tune my own piano and resolve little problems I encounter with it. I am an avid reader of the tech forum, and I have used the forum several times to ask questions. The suggestions and advice given by experts is very helpful and appreciated. (I am starting to restore an old piano myself as a hobby.)
My concern is that by having a distinct site for DIY (i.e. amateur) restorers and hobbyists, we hacks out here will miss out on the expert advice that many of the pro's give out so freely. I doubt the pro's will go to the DIY forum as readily as they go to the tech forum.
I don't know of any of the pro's brushing off us amateurs or discouraging us from asking questions on their great tech forum. In fact, I only know of them offering us advice and encouragement. I would even hazard to guess that their willingness to offer help so selflessly is because they are genuinely interested in the problems raised by amateurs, and that they like to share their enthusiasm for all things piano-ish.
So, to all the pro's who are so generous, thank you sincerely.

#923774 - 05/17/07 01:18 PM Re: DIY forum?
Supply Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Joe, I agree with alot of what you say. Here are a few points I'd like to make:
There have been cases where I and other techs get annoyed by laypersons who ask a question, then get upset, defensive and even insulting when they don' t like the answer.
Techs are professionals, we derive our livelihood from our work, which includes consultation. When we give away our services for free to an anonymous stranger from whom we can never expect a return (e.g. acquiring them as a tuning client, etc), a bit of decency and common courtesy should really be expected. I know most recipients of advice on the tech forum are thankful and gracious, but there have been a few that really spoil it for the others.

As well, there is a fair bit of misinformatin that is spread by non-techs on the tech forum. A casual internet brower (there are millions) could come to the tech site and get entirely wrong information.

FInally, the majority of layperson questions which are discussed and bantered about can be answered by the following:
"Call a local piano tech to check it out." Sometimes I have the feeling the tech forum is seen as a "Dear Abbey" for people with piano problems. Surely that is not the intent of that particular forum. After all, it is not called the "Ask a Piano Technician Forum".

#923775 - 05/17/07 05:15 PM Re: DIY forum?
Jim Puckett Offline

Loc: Mount Vernon, Ohio
I think an Ask a Tech forum isn't a bad idea though - it would separate the tech to tech talk and still keep the great co-operative work between the techs and the players.

We have seen some important discussions where advice has been asked regarding the advice of their current tech's advice. While this isn't a huge thing - I think the customers like finding out if they are getting advice that makes sense in the mainstream of the industry.

This might even be a different thread than DIY. I am anxious to see how this ends up.

#923776 - 05/17/07 10:21 PM Re: DIY forum?
Supply Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I think a DIY forum would (could?) incorporate the "Ask a Technician" aspect. It would be a place where DIYers talk about their projects, exchange ideas and thoughts, and where techs visit and add their two cents worth.

That is my two cents worth...

#923777 - 05/21/07 10:19 AM Re: DIY forum?
w_scott_iv@yahoo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

It would also facilitate more detailed descriptions of the project (pictures, questions) from the DIY'er and more thorough answers w/o taking over the tech to tech board.

#923778 - 07/05/07 02:44 PM Re: DIY forum?
funburger Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I would love to see a DIY forum or ask a tech forum. as when i have questions about what i am doing i dont want to bother the techs over in the tech forum. it seems like a place for them. i do read through the past threads and sometimes get the answers i am looking for. but a forum so diy'ers could talk about their projects and learn from each other i think is a spendid idea. i hope it comes to pass and the new diy thread comes soon!!! PLEASE FRANK--PLEASE!!!

What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Odd
by Minnesota Marty
10/01/14 01:41 PM
Moonlight Sonata 1st Movement
by johnbarnesiii
10/01/14 01:08 PM
Joshua Bell's second concert draws large crowds
by pianoloverus
10/01/14 01:02 PM
NAMM 2015 - Are You Booked??
by Piano World
10/01/14 12:09 PM
Music stores in Boston
by Jamie_from_Canada
10/01/14 09:39 AM
Who's Online
155 registered (alans, Adypiano, ajames, Al LaPorte, 47 invisible), 1708 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76389 Members
42 Forums
157923 Topics
2319284 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission