Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#923806 - 05/25/08 01:38 PM "HOV" Lane in the Forum
Betty Patnude Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Puyallup, Washington
Perhaps the forum needs a column called "Students ask questions of Teachers". That could be participatory of the benefit of helping others who have questions.

I feel that most Piano Teacher Topics turn into a tutoring for someone with questions very often diverting the intention of the OP.

I don't think that all piano teachers want to participate in giving the endless steps to learning a subject - it is time consuming - and problematic in that - very often in my mind I wonder whether the person asks good questions or really is ready for this arena.

I have become reluctant to participate because I think I am doing more harm than good. I have answered many, many questions here, I have sent out lots of requested documents, I don't hear back with questions, or comments, and it makes me wonder if I contributed to a problem with them, or supplied a solution. I have become much more concerned about my role in this issue.

Is having another forum for this purpose possible? I think it would be much more specific for the participants and actually be a "HOV LANE" (High Occupancy Vehicle on U.S. Freeways) for them.

Betty

Piano & Music Accessories
#923807 - 05/25/08 03:49 PM Re: "HOV" Lane in the Forum
keystring Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Personally I think this may be a good idea. During your absence I suggested a "gray area" forum that dealt with the place where teachers and non-teachers tend to meet. The topic was less specific.

Sentiment expressed by teachers and non-teachers alike was that things were split already as it was, and members on both sides prefered the status quo.

In regards to not getting feedback on supplied information: it is not good manners, but it may also be a good sign. If something has been understood it gets used with no more questions asked.

I would give it an obvious title, such as "Teacher < > Student Q&A, A&Q" so that someone looking for such a forum would know where to look. HOV Lane could well be ignored since the title does not reflect purpose.

#923808 - 05/25/08 05:32 PM Re: "HOV" Lane in the Forum
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
 Quote:
Originally posted by keystring:
I would give it an obvious title, such as "Teacher < > Student Q&A, A&Q" so that someone looking for such a forum would know where to look. HOV Lane could well be ignored since the title does not reflect purpose. [/b]
The title also totally puzzled me (we call 'em "transit lanes" here in my corner of the world), so teacher/student Q&A would be clearer, that's for sure!

#923809 - 05/25/08 05:40 PM Re: "HOV" Lane in the Forum
Betty Patnude Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Puyallup, Washington
"HOV LANE" (High Occupancy Vehicle on U.S. Freeways)is the lane designated for cars with 2 or more occupents where there are less motorists in the lane and one can drive unimpeded at speed limit for long distances.

I was looking for a term that associated "fast track" and this came to mind.

I must say that I enjoy taking the "scenic route" or the "road less traveled" too.

But "HOV" would get you where you are going surely and in quickest of time."

;\)

Betty

#923810 - 05/25/08 06:33 PM Re: "HOV" Lane in the Forum

Assuming that enough people want this forum, I strongly suggest a name change given the nature of forums. People looking for something in particular scan titles quickly, and the title should reflect the purpose of the forum. This is an international site and this title will not lead people to think that Teacher-Student Q&A is what they will find.

I certainly share your view of scenic routes which is why in my studies I eschew them. I am not sure, though, that the HOV idea necessarily meshes with a Q&A forum, because this idea implies systematic guided study. That cannot happen within the venu of a discussion group except in a limited manner. Additionally, Q&A will be answered by different teachers having different approaches, and addressed by different students in different situations and contexts.

I think the useful part of your idea exists if enough teachers feel as you do that a separate forum should exist for students asking questions of teachers, or conversely, teachers wishing to bring across an item of teaching to all students. This is what has just happened when John posted the the thread on sight reading in the teacher forum.

#923811 - 05/26/08 03:41 AM Re: "HOV" Lane in the Forum
keyboardklutz Offline

Loc: London, UK (though if it's Aug...
I agree with Betty. There is no Q&A forum. How about 'bus lane'? That's about the closest we get over here and it kinda echos right.

#923812 - 05/26/08 09:51 AM Re: "HOV" Lane in the Forum

IF this idea is embraced, I have had thoughts about something bidirectional, although I have some reservations that I'll mention at the bottom. I have seen many instances in which teachers would like to impart a particular concept to students, and stress these ideas repeatedly. Instead of being initiated by a student, this would be teacher-initiated. I tried to reflect this in the formula:
Q&A Student <= => Teacher A&Q

The one aspect would be the usual: Student asks a question of teachers, and teachers respond. These questions are sometimes specific to a particular piece and technique, and universal at other times (sight reading, ear training, etc.)

Meanwhile I have seen some teachers representing certain things which they deem important, and try repeatedly to bring these across to students. Why not have a thread initiated by teachers, which becomes the central hub where such concepts can be tried out, questions asked. The teacher doesn't have to write the same thing out multiple times, it's all there in that thread.

Examples I am thinking of from the top of my head:
- Keyboardklutz has thoughts on hand or body use, describes these from time to time, and has invited students to watch some didactic videos
- Betty's ideas are enshrined under the name Piano Power which has a component of practical learning specifically, as well as thoughts on mental attitude and discipline (two threads or one?)

Less broadly, John saw the questions being asked about sight reading and initiated a thread seeming to address students, and outlining approaches to sight reading that he deems important. The aspect I would like to bring out is that this thread was initiated by a teacher addressing students, because a need was seen.

There are times when different teachers have different approaches to a particular problem, and that goes back to some things they hold as a whole. Things don't exist in isolation. We see these little "pedagogy wars" break out, where the asking student is forgotten while teachers battle their ideas. OR a student asks a question, and the answers pouring in clash or are two varied. My thoughts on having a thread dedicated to a particular approach championed by a teacher came from this observation. .... with a caveat, because....

A teacher may see a teacher-to-student thread, in which that teacher's approach runs contrary to his beliefs, and be uncomfortable about what he is seeing. He'll want to say something, and either the didactic wars will break out, or the question moves back to the teacher-to-teacher forum in order to discuss didactic approach. We're back to square one.

Or we're back to the objection that I heard from both sides initially during my proposal, which is that the forums should not become more scattered than they already are. Each thing cross-references, and it is hard to shuttle back and forth - that is the argument that was brought forth.

What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
154 registered (Anne'sson, anotherscott, ajames, 50 invisible), 1716 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75596 Members
42 Forums
156306 Topics
2295619 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Mason & Hamlin BB with Live Performance
by eugene_bb
Today at 12:50 PM
Temperament and Western Music Common Intervals
by prout
Today at 12:44 PM
P80 for 150
by LarryShone
Today at 11:26 AM
Happy Birthday torquenale !!!!
by CarlosCC
Today at 08:26 AM
compositional methods
by Michael Sayers
Today at 08:03 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission