Hi,
I'm a brand-new piano world member! I have some real challenging situation with one of my piano students, and I'm wondering if anyone can give me some solid advice, suggestions, wisdom, whatever to solve the problem.

She is a 10 year-old girl who simply cannot "feel" or "hear" the rhythm. She can't count at a steady tempo either. She cannot even clap her hands on the beat with the metronome. I've tried marching her to Sousa's marches, holding her hands so that her hands will move on the beat, which should force her legs to move on the beat. It didn't work. I moved her hands and arms up and down as we marched, but her feet are doing totally different things. I've seen kids marching with reversed feet, but not completely off the beat like her.

She has a short attention span, and cannot practice more than 15 minutes at a time, and she does not like to be corrected. She gets frustrated every time I correct her counting or rhythm. She doesn't have the mental strength to face the challenge and get through it either.

I have had some "untalented" or "slow learner" students, but I never had this kind of severe case of rhythm difficulties. She has been diagnosed emotionally disturbed, which may or may not have anything to do with her rhythm problem.

Is there anyone out there who knows what can be done to help her? Or is she a lost case? I'm trying this and that, but nothing seems to work, and she's losing interest in learning the rhythm (because she can't do it).

I'd really appreciate your opinions, suggestions, advice, and wisdom.
Crystalcolors