2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, 4 invisible), 1,228 guests, and 291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
I think it would be nice if a thread more than 3 months or so would be automatically locked from further input.

If people really want to refer to it, they can embed a link to the old thread into a new post.

There have been a lot of dead thread revivals lately - it can be very confusing (people thought Piqué was shopping for a piano again)!

Some folks took the time to contribute opinions & advice on another thread, when the rebuilding project actually ended a couple years ago.

It is so easy to overlook the dates of all the posts. Locking the old threads would help. smile

T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
+1

Only the humble improve.
O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
That might not sit too well in the technician's forum, IMO. Sometimes a piano project may take a long time between steps in the process, even months.

If I had a thread on rebuilding my player(which I plan on doing in the future), get in the middle of it and find the thread locked up while I was spending a long time rebuilding the stack, I'd have to say I'd find it pretty annoying.

Just my 2¢...

Happiness is a freshly tuned piano.
Jim Boydston, proprietor, No Piano Left Behind - technician
www.facebook.com/NoPianoLeftBehind
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by whippen boy:
I think it would be nice if a thread more than 3 months or so would be [b]automatically locked from further input.

[...]

It is so easy to overlook the dates of all the posts. Locking the old threads would help. smile [/b]
I'll inconsistently revive this more-than-three-months-old thread to enter another plea for the same: we've just had a five year old thread bubble up on the Piano Forum. Perhaps three months since the last post might be a little tight, but anything that hasn't been touched for say, six months, should need a fresh thead. It would avoid all the accidental resuscitations, and it's still easy for anyone who genuinely wants to restart the topic to begin with with a link back to the old one.

Best wishes,
Matthew

"Passions, violent or not, may never be expressed to the point of revulsion; even in the most frightening situation music must never offend the ear but must even then offer enjoyment, i.e. must always remain music." -- W.A.Mozart

212cm Fazioli: some photos and recordings .
Auckland Catholic Music Schola .
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
As one of those who fell into that FIVE year old thread ... eek

I would be happy to see old threads locked. There is no reason to have the time to locking be the same on all forums.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
i think this rule should be applied to the pianist corner at least for now. There is no reason to bring up month-old threads concerning the pianist's corner topics.

Q
Q
Another option is to introduce some sort of flag for threads that are x amount of months old. That way if someone does revive it, readers will have a warning before hand that it is an old post.

Maybe also an additional warning near the reply box.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
How about only the original thread originator being able to revive the thread?

JG
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
SORRY!!

I just realized this thread was dead, or at least moribund. Didn't mean to do the opposite of what I say.

JG
F
F
The thread starter can just edit the topic with `resolved` or `completed` or somesuch, that`s what`s generally done on other forums I visit.

Will
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
There have been a lot of dead thread revivals lately - it can be very confusing (people thought Piqué was shopping for a piano again)!
I think it can be equally confusing to have multiple threads on the same subject. For example, I count 81 Hanon related threads. For someone to is interested in the subject, they're all over the place.

There is no reason to bring up month-old threads concerning the pianist's corner topics.
I can think of one -- somebody wants to add something to the conversation. smile

A forum, by its very nature, is an implied invitation for members to have a conversion or discussion. Unless a moderator chooses to close it, that invitation is always an open one.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission