2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (Charles Cohen, Animisha, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 9 invisible), 1,137 guests, and 316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
R
Hello friends- Here’s some information about two concerts coming up this weekend, in which Sarah Cahill and I are performing some fantastic new four-hand pieces by Terry Riley. I hope to see you!

At 8 pm this Friday, October 28, Mills College presents a tribute to Terry Riley, who is Jean Macduff Vaux Composer-in-Residence. Terry himself will perform an improvisation with Fred Frith. Other musicians include the Mills Contemporary Performance Ensemble and Mills Vocal Improvisation Ensemble, saxophonist John Ingle, and the Del Sol Quartet, in compositions ranging from the early- 1960 String Quartet, Dorian Reeds, and Olson III- to more recent, like the two four-hand pieces that Sarah and I will play in their Bay Area premieres. Etude from the Old Country (2004) is a dazzling virtuosic showpiece, and Jaztine (2000) is, in Terry’s words, “inspired by a girl named Jaztine Murillo, a child from the Phillipines that we sponsored for a number of years who would send us very endearing letters. Jaztine evokes images from childhood, skipping over green hills in wildflowers under puffy white clouds against blue skies in odd meter, stopping to let a parade of colorful ponderous elephants majestically pass by.” Mills College Concert Hall is at 5000 MacArthur Blvd. in Oakland. Phone (510) 430-2296 for more information.

The next evening, at 8 pm Saturday, October 29 as part of the Berkeley Arts Festival, Sarah and I will join two brilliant composer-pianists, Katrina Krimsky and Barbara Higbie, for “Two by Four,” in which all of us will team up for duos. Katrina and Barbara will perform:
Rhapsody for Two Pianos (Higbie/Krimsky)
Neptune (Higbie/Krimsky)
Lonnie’s Lament (John Coltrane)
Selections from Baby's Family (Villa Lobos)
Azzola, an adaptation of French Musette music
Fluid Silk, Ambrosia, Golden Gate Park (Krimsky)
Tideline (Higbie)

Sarah Cahill and I will perform Etude from the Old Country, Jaztine, and Tango Doble Ladiado by Terry Riley. Sarah will also play a beautiful new piece by Daniel Feinsmith, entitled Self, in which he sets an excerpt from Ralph Waldo Emerson’s essay The Poet, which she speaks while playing his music. I will perform The Hidden Agenda by New York composer Anthony Coleman. For the finale, we four pianists will join forces for an eight-hand rendition of Katrina’s pattern piece Fluid Silk.

Berkeley Arts Festival Gallery is at 2324 Shattuck Avenue near Durant Ave. in Berkeley.

PHONE NUMBER: (510) 665-9496
ADMISSION: $10 general

I hope to see you at one or both of these concerts. By the way, we all have websites: www.katrinakrimsky.com, www.barbarahigbie.com, www.josephkubera.com, and www.sarahcahill.com.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Joe... thanks for letting us know about your upcoming performance! Both concerts sound like a real treat!

Ahhh... if only it was a bit closer I could round up a collection of enthusiastic PW members!! wink

We will have to keep an eye on your website for future events in the Boston area! thumb

R
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
R
Thanks, Terrytunes!

I'll post more about this, either here or in the PF. Of note, the piano we played on in the downtown Berkeley concert was a 10-1/2 foot Fazioli! eek Donated by Piedmont Piano in California.

When I get my act togeher, I'll post some pictures of us at the Fazi.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission