2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, 6 invisible), 1,935 guests, and 310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#924395 07/26/08 04:34 AM
Just an OT question.....

I'm new to this forum, so maybe I've overlooked some general (unwritten?) rule. Is it the case that I'm not allowed to respond in this topic because I'm not a teacher?
If that's so, then I'm sorry for the interference, I was merely reacting on the question of TS about stagefright/explanations from members in the academic communtiy.

Have a nice day!

Chaplin thumb

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I —
I took the 'one less traveled' by,
And that has made all the difference.

"The road not Taken"
Robert Frost (1874-1963)
#924396 07/26/08 05:51 AM
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally posted by Chaplin:
I'm new to this forum, so maybe I've overlooked some general (unwritten?) rule. Is it the case that I'm not allowed to respond in this topic because I'm not a teacher?
We had a big discussion about this a while ago, Chaplin, and I think the decision we came to was that everyone is welcome, but if you're answering a question addressed to teachers, you probably should indicate that you're not a teacher, just to make things clear. Someone else can correct me if necessary, but from memory that's where I thought we ended up.

Have a nice day!
Chaplin thumb

You too!

Du holde Kunst...
#924397 07/27/08 03:48 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by John v.d.Brook:
BTW, tachy in the medical dictionary is defined as rapid or swift. That seems to me to be a two-edge definition. Your perception of time could be passing rapidly/swiftly, or you (or your mind) could be moving rapidly/swiftly.
John, maybe you folks are getting tired of me stating what I see as the obvious. You don't perceive time in the same sense you perceive a table. You add the time dimension to help make sense of chaos. As time is a construct of the mind there are not two 'edges'. You have no need to flounder. The phenomenon is clear and well documented and it is a single phenomenon - in flight/fight your time construct becomes 'super acute'.

#924398 07/28/08 05:05 AM
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
wikepedia
It is common for an individual experiencing tachypsychia to have serious misinterpretations of their surrounding during the events, through a combination of their altered perception of time, as well as transient partial color blindness and tunnel vision. After the irregularly high levels of adrenaline consumed during sympathetic nervous system activation, an individual may display signs and symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder, and it is common for the person to display extreme emotional lability and fatigue, regardless of their actual physical exertion.
It sure does sound an awful lot like my last recital....

#924399 07/28/08 09:29 AM
M
M
theJourney & John,
I do think that this is exactly what happens in stage fright for many, although some have symptoms prior to performing and once they're on stage, it goes away. There are various levels to which a person would have this as well. As I have overcome this problem for myself, however, I still always get the loss of sense of time. Perhaps this is just normal, as I'm not on autopilot and am aware of what I'm doing, what comes next, etc., and am calm when I'm "in the moment." If adrenaline causes this, then perhaps to a lesser degree this is what I'm encountering, but I do not feel it is a problem as it's not debilitating or causing any problems in the performance.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
#924400 07/29/08 02:12 AM
I don't think Tachypsychia is stage-fright. I've experienced the symptoms described by Tachypsychia twice:

First time was when I fell through a roof although it wasn't complete life threatening the time did slow down so I could think of grabbing a beam and letting me slowly fall down. So I did not injure my self it was almost as if I did plan to do so. People that did see it happen didn't understand how I did react so quickly and for me it was like I had all the time in the world to think it over and adjust my body.

The second time was when I was on a diving board (spring board?) 3 meters high and was planning on doing a back somersault. I lost my balance and was falling with my back towards the water. That was life threatening because if you fall from 3 meters on your back (longs) the air will be gone and you might black-out and drown. Again the time did slow down and it was like I had all the time in the world to determine what to do. I remember to kick my leg in the air so my body would make a turn and at the last second above the water I did so and with a nice dive I got in the water. People that saw that where sure I would fall flat on the water on my back.

I have had a little stage fright as well performing for others. But the main difference is that in stage fright the time didn't slow down to think. It was just that it did look like the performance did take forever. Like when listening to a boring conference or waiting for a bus. The perception of time is then altered by the fact you focusing on time instead of what you are doing. With tachypsychia the time goes slow but you don't focus on the time you focus on your situation.

That are my experiences.

Kawai K6
#924401 07/29/08 05:01 AM
Originally posted by John v.d.Brook:
What I'm interested in, in part, is the student who is paralyzed by fear. They feel they are moving in slow motion, cannot get anything to move quickly, their body doesn't respond, their fine motor skills are out the window, the piece is over and they are only aware of just starting out. All of this seems tied together.

The symptoms you're describing are part of a group of symptoms which occure during an anxiety/panic attack (mostly the same symptoms will be experienced in any case of an anxiety disorder.) If you're interesting in possibilities to overcome (=solve of improve) 'stage freight', merely a discussion about symptoms and comparing symptoms will not do the 'trick'. In a previous post I have already explained that stage freight is a specific form of social phobia, nicely tucked away under the big umbrella: Anxiety Disorders. Evidence-based practice to treat this kind of problems it is a cognitive behaviour therapy program.

(By the way, no, I'm not a teacher so feel free to exclude me for that reason from the discussion in this topic, but this particular professional area has been/still is my 'core business' over the last two decades.. wink .)

I’m off to practise!
Have a nice day thumb
from Chaplin

"The road not Taken"
Robert Frost (1874-1963)
#924402 07/29/08 05:29 AM
The perception of time is then altered by the fact you focusing on time instead of what you are doing. With tachypsychia the time goes slow but you don't focus on the time you focus on your situation.
I think that these two things can be used in a couple of ways, and it is part of what I was trying to get at earlier. The key is what you are focusing on. In the adventures you describe, a crisis triggered a behaviour - that of focusing in a very detailed way on events (visual etc. input) as they were occurring and responding physically to those events. Time expanded to make room for both the observation (focus) and the precise response (focus again) in minute detail within the second. You can almost imagine the time stretching out in the manner of those on-line maps where you zoom in for the details.

In these emergency situations, the event triggers the response (a sudden sharpened focus and absolute attention on both observation and specific actions) which also pulls into it this expansion of time to make room for that focus. But the FOCUS is the important key.

For the athletes, musicians etc. who have experienced what they call "zone" in the one precise sense of it, they began with a trained focus, which they then applied to the event in that same pattern of observe-react moment to moment focus. In what I experienced, the act of practicing a certain way with a deliberate kind of focusing, this sense of time expansion happened. Later by coincidence I was told that the kind of focused practicing that musicians do will bring about a milder version of expanded time, which on very rare occasions can create the full blown phenomenon experienced by the baseball player. Because of the experience I had had, which had remained a mystery, I became interested in what this was about. Simply as a means of playing better it is good to acquire the habit of a certain kind of focussed practicing and playing, and if one can end up expanding time, so to say, it improves playing itself.

But then I got into the panic situation last year, when I found out the exam was printed on two sides of the page so that I had done less than half with only a quarter of the time remaining. To begin with I had all the signs of an anxiety attack: sweaty palms, rapid heartbeat, trouble breathing, shaky hands, inability to concentrate, just wanting to hand in the paper and flee - had I been forced to wait out the remaining 35 minutes they would have crawled by. But because I had had the experience mentioned above, which came from that focused practising which expanded time, I was able to draw on this and redirect my focus on the task. The rest of it kicked in as well - the time-expansion etc.

Given that experience, what if the ability to redirect focus on the task as well as bringing in some degree of expanded time of the kind that gets filled with focus (observation and action moment for moment) could be one way of combating stage fright when it occurs?

#924403 07/29/08 05:58 AM
Evidence-based practice to treat this kind of problems it is a cognitive behaviour therapy program.
Nicely put post. Cognitive therapy is rubbish though. King Canute like (or not-like) you cannot hold back nature with thoughts. Cognitive is just the latest palliative bandwagon.

#924404 07/29/08 06:41 AM
Originally posted by keyboardklutz:
[b] Evidence-based practice to treat this kind of problems it is a cognitive behaviour therapy program.
Nicely put post. Cognitive therapy is rubbish though. King Canute like (or not-like) you cannot hold back nature with thoughts. Cognitive is just the latest palliative bandwagon. [/b]
If that should be the case I'm earning a living with rubbish. wink The meaning of 'King Canute like' etc. got lost in translation, but, by all means don't hesitate to express YOUR opinion. I've no problem with opposite points of view whatsoever (even when I consider them a bit bluntly put), except in those cases when an opinion is presented as a fact.....

Chaplin thumb

"The road not Taken"
Robert Frost (1874-1963)
#924405 07/29/08 07:23 AM
King Canute thought (thought - geddit?) he could hold back the tide because he was all powerful (or thought he couldn't depending on your take).

#924406 07/29/08 09:02 AM
M
M
KBK, it is a mind over matter mind thing, not mind over matter we're talking about. The person who suffers from stage fright does so not because of external factors, but internal, so it makes perfect sense that it can be overcome with therapy of certain kinds. I did this with myself with the help of some wonderful caring teachers. They weren't psychologists, but they understood the issue of stage fright enough to get me going in the right direction. This is something that can be changed, but with the "brick wall" quote from another recent topic, you have to want it badly enough to get past it.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
#924407 07/29/08 01:37 PM
Humans like to think they are in control. They're not. Your fight/flight instinct goes too far back for that. Coping strategies and acceptance strategies are what's called for not denial.

#924408 07/29/08 02:29 PM
Most stage-fright is easily subdued by a Zen-like trance (focus)..............or alcohol

H1

Piano Sales since 1992
Piano study since 1969
Piano teacher since 1992
Touring musician since 1985
Studio musician since 1996
I Love the Piano
#924409 07/29/08 02:44 PM
KBK, I don't envy the world you're living in. According your posts I strongly would like to suggest you that you pay some attention to the deeper meaning of your own 'signature', because IMO you are trying to invent a wheel, but you haven't got a clue about the road. And at this point I'm not even sure whether you know how a wheel suppose to look like.

Concerning the 'stage freight discussion':
I'll rest my case.

Greetings from
Chaplin thumb

"The road not Taken"
Robert Frost (1874-1963)
#924410 07/29/08 03:02 PM
M
M
Originally posted by Highlander One:
Most stage-fright is easily subdued by a Zen-like trance (focus)..............or alcohol

H1
These things rarely actually solve the problem, but simply mask it. Following a well-thought out, logical approach with the goal of changing behavior is the only way to truly change stage fright.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
#924411 07/29/08 03:16 PM
because IMO you are trying to invent a wheel, but you haven't got a clue about the road. And at this point I'm not even sure whether you know how a wheel suppose to look like.
Er..., was that rude? Have you actually ever played in front of an audience?

#924412 07/29/08 03:55 PM
The remark about alcohol was an attempt at levity.... the focus remark is truth....focus, or changing behavior patterns, is the way to deal with "stage fright", some are more adept than others.

As you say..."masking" the problem might be the first step in defeating the problem.

Thanks Morodiene....I don't think I've been quoted before....that is cool!

Piano Sales since 1992
Piano study since 1969
Piano teacher since 1992
I Love the Piano
#924413 07/29/08 10:13 PM
R
R
I seem to develop tachypsychia when I play with certain drummers...time seems to speed up and slow down for the entire gig.

#924414 08/01/08 01:29 PM
That is funny....I can relate

H1

Piano Sales since 1992
Piano study since 1969
Piano teacher since 1992
I Love the Piano
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission