Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
67 registered (ando, anamnesis, AtlantisHero, Artur Gajewski, AndyJoe, 14 invisible), 1201 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#925168 - 03/20/04 10:15 PM RCM Celebration Series Question
RedTop Offline

Loc: Peterborough, NH
I would very much appreciate comments from those of you familiar with the RCM Celebration series on its suitability for an older (59) beginner who has completed three years of lessons using a number of elementary methods (Bastien, Alfred, Faber, Thompson). I recently finished Thompson's Adult Piano Course Book One and it is now time to decide whether to continue with Thompson or to change to the RCM method. I played a few pieces in the Introductory volume of the Celebration Series and found them challenging, but not impossible. The RCM method appears to be very serious and worthwhile, but is it suitable for an older person learning an instrument for the first time? Are there other methods I should consider? My teacher seems to like to bounce from book to book, while finding a stable path would give my confidence a much needed boost right now. My work ethic is good, but progress is slow. Any advice or comments any of you can offer would be deeply appreciated.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#925169 - 03/20/04 11:14 PM Re: RCM Celebration Series Question
Stevester Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
I started with Faber's Adult Piano Adventures book 1 and 2 as well as a Faber Christmas book. I have been playing six months and yes the Celebration Series is difficult for me as well. I think the fact that I listen to the CD first adds to the stress factor. So don't think it is just you having the problem. I think the series has a lot to offer but it is not going to be smooth sailing, I plan to stick with it.

Stay in touch,
Steve (45 years young)

anon

#925170 - 03/20/04 11:38 PM Re: RCM Celebration Series Question
Stevester Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I would like to add to my post above that I think it is going to be imperative that we both find some other fun material to add to our work. I had a tough time with parts of the Faber metod books and the fun element of Christmas tunes helped me thru that.

Stay in touch,
Steve

anon

#925171 - 03/20/04 11:55 PM Re: RCM Celebration Series Question
katie_dup1 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Gary,
There's a fellow who posts here and in the Pianists' Corner named Frank58 (from Canada). I believe he's close to your age & know he's doing the Celebration Series (He could be in Grade 6 now). Why not search his name & send him a PM? Good Luck.

#925172 - 03/21/04 07:58 AM Re: RCM Celebration Series Question
Stevester Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Gary,

If you contact Frank58 please post your findings here for all to see.

Many thanks,
Steve

anon

#925173 - 03/22/04 09:09 PM Re: RCM Celebration Series Question
RedTop Offline

Loc: Peterborough, NH
Thanks Steve and Katie for your helpful advice. Frank58 did reply to the query I posted on the "Pianist Corner" and was very positive about his six year experience with the RCM method. It is beginning to look like my choice also. Now I just have to convince my teacher. I hope both of you are enjoying your affairs with the piano. It has been the best part of my retirement so far, although there are days when I wish I had taken up golf. Good luck!

#925174 - 04/17/04 07:50 PM Re: RCM Celebration Series Question
Moshe Offline

Loc: Toronto
Hello,
I'm a student in the midst of completing my grade 10 RCM. The RCM (or at least I think) is really the only way to get really good.

All the other books (ABC, Leila Fletcher...) can only serve as an introduction.

But what does grade ten mean? Being in grade ten means you can have your first taste at Beethoven sonatas, chopins more difficult wokrs, back prelude and fugues.

These are really difficult pieces. I don't believe you can get to this level unless you go through the RCM 1-9 before hand.

The other books aren't going to serve you as well as the RCM does. However the RCM requires a lot of work and time. I currently practice 2+ hours daily.

Hope this confirms!

#925175 - 05/10/04 11:45 AM Re: RCM Celebration Series Question
Accord Man Offline

Loc: Earth (usually..)
RCM will be great! The teacher will have to chose the appropriate grade and you'll be fine with this program..

#925176 - 05/10/04 10:55 PM Re: RCM Celebration Series Question
Sugarbush Offline

Loc: Toronto
RedTop, I'm older than you and I'm studying away in the RCM Celebration Series, in gr.8 But I did take the Conservatory as a child. I quit in early high school unfortunately and then just played away on my own, with my own choices of music. ...mostly the type one would enjoy singing along with. After a long break ( many years without a piano and then only irregularly at when I finally had a piano)I started back with a good teacher just over a year ago. I had a lot of catching up to do but now I'm back and moving forward. It's exciting. Like the others say, it's hard work but personally the Conservatory is the way to really learn your skills. Your comment about your teacher liking to "bounce from book to book", does concern me. It's so very important to have a person instructing you with quality background and also the personality that you enjoy as your mentor. I may be jumping to conclusions here but perhaps you need to find a different teacher. Just my 2 cents worth.
Whatever you do, don't give up. It's a slow process, learning to play well. Good luck.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!

Happy Thanksgiving!
Happy Thanksgiving!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Black Friday is here - Seen any deals?
by MeghanM
11/28/14 01:16 AM
MIDI in on a Kawai VPC-1...
by pocoapoco
11/28/14 12:35 AM
Just joined
by wise_manzard
11/27/14 10:20 PM
LACHNIT MK22
by Vas
11/27/14 09:27 PM
You Usually Get what you Pay for in this World.......
by Paul678
11/27/14 08:22 PM
Forum Stats
77071 Members
42 Forums
159411 Topics
2341715 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission