Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#927078 - 01/22/07 01:17 PM Melody Playback Condensed
emrys Offline

Loc: Toronto
Hello folks,

In three 15 min sessions my daughter, (who is studying for her ARTC in Performance with another teacher), was able to teach me some very basic and enlightening tips for melody playback.

So it makes me wonder why my teacher never pointed these out to me AND why my teacher ONLY tested my playback once (!) and that was at my last, really last, lesson.

Is there such a thing as learning thru osmosis or telepathy or maybe my teacher just thought I am SO smart that I'd figure it out for myself!

Sorry about my sarcasm...just a lot of nerves happening here before my exam but I am VERY
disappointed with this teacher.
I don't need to have my hand held but a road map with clear directions would be helpful...or am I being unreasonable?

Emrys

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#927079 - 01/22/07 02:24 PM Re: Melody Playback Condensed
Diane... Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Western Canada
Emrys, why aren't you taking lessons from your daughter's teacher?

A chocolate bar in each hand is a balanced diet!

#927080 - 01/22/07 02:28 PM Re: Melody Playback Condensed
Piano&Flute Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I'm sorry you had such a bad experience with your lessons. Unfortunately there are teachers out there who don't take the time to cover some of the important elements in a musical education, ear training being one of them. A student should never be sent in for an exam without having covered every area completly.

I understand your frusteration, but I don't quite understand your reason for directing this sarcasm to the piano teachers forum. Instead of taking this out on those of us who strive to provide a quality music education you should be addressing this to the teacher in question. They need to know exactly how you feel and what they haven't taught you, maybe they will end up being a better teacher for it.

I agree with Diane W. Definitely find a better teacher, and if you can't get in with your daughters, you will still be a much more aware piano student when it comes to interviewing new teachers.

Best of luck with your exam!
Stephanie

#927081 - 01/22/07 02:34 PM Re: Melody Playback Condensed
Diane... Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Western Canada
Good point Stephanie!

Gone Chopin, Bach in a Minuet, but forgot my Liszt.

#927082 - 01/22/07 02:56 PM Re: Melody Playback Condensed
Piano&Flute Offline

I should add, that as with any specific goal or type of music, if you want to do exams it is extremly important that you find a teacher who regularly prepares students for the exams and knows all of the requirements inside and out.

Also, out of curiosity, what grade are you doing and how long are your lessons. As a teacher it can be a struggle to fit everything into a half hour lesson. I am not trying to make an excuse for leaving it out, but it is something to consider in the future.

#927083 - 01/23/07 01:09 PM Re: Melody Playback Condensed
emrys Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by StephanieF:

I understand your frusteration, but I don't quite understand your reason for directing this sarcasm to the piano teachers forum. Instead of taking this out on those of us who strive to provide a quality music education you should be addressing this to the teacher in question. They need to know exactly how you feel and what they haven't taught you, maybe they will end up being a better teacher for it.

I agree with Diane W. Definitely find a better teacher, and if you can't get in with your daughters, you will still be a much more aware piano student when it comes to interviewing new teachers.

Best of luck with your exam!
Stephanie [/QB]

#927084 - 01/23/07 01:25 PM Re: Melody Playback Condensed
emrys Offline

[QUOTE]Originally posted by StephanieF:

Oops..sorry about that earlier "reply" which actually was a "no reply".

There seems to be a misunderstanding here...I directed these posts to the Teacher's Forum and the Pianist's Forum first to voice my frustrations and in doing so, hopefully to get feedback from pianists AND teachers because I'm not sure what is the norm for lessons leading to an exam. I was hoping for insights and different perspectives from both the students and the teachers.
I am profoundly sorry if I have offended anyone because that was NOT my intention. My sarcasm may have put people off but I was in a bitter state of mind. Sorry.

The reason I did not and will not bring this to my ex-teacher's attention is because over the past four years that I've been with her she has said negative things about her ex-students mostly along the lines of how it's their fault that they aren't improving, etc. Therefore in my mind people who think they are never at fault would not take too kindly to opinions contrary to that conviction.
Besides it's my fault for not asking her to teach me technique at every lesson and make sure that we are covering all the requirements for my exam...isn't it? Especially if my lessons are an hour long.

Yikes - okay time to let go of this sarcasm.

#927085 - 01/23/07 01:59 PM Re: Melody Playback Condensed
Piano&Flute Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by emrys:

The reason I did not and will not bring this to my ex-teacher's attention is because over the past four years that I've been with her she has said negative things about her ex-students mostly along the lines of how it's their fault that they aren't improving, etc. Therefore in my mind people who think they are never at fault would not take too kindly to opinions contrary to that conviction.
[/QB]
Wow, it sounds like students should be running in the other direction when they meet this teacher. I am assuming that she has a lot of students leave her studio? Not to mention how unprofessional it is to gossip about other students during someone's lesson. I would still let her know where she went wrong, but I understand your point. If nothing else she definitely won't be getting any referrals from you or your daughter.

What she did is definitely not normal. It is the teachers responsibility to know everything that is required for the exam and make sure it is all well learned. With one hour lessons, there is no excuse. Of course, it is also up to the teacher to make sure the lesson length is adequate to cover the material.

Unfortunately, I know many teachers who gloss over the ear training and/or sight reading, thinking I guess that the 10% mark awarded for each doesn't warrant the work involved in learning? Never mind that the 10% could be the difference between honours and first class honours, or even possibly a medal. My own teacher did the same kind of thing to me with my grade 9 and 10 exams. Didn't bother with ear training all year, then breathed a sigh of relief when I happened to be very good at it the one time she tried it. Lucky for both of us that I had learned ear training in high school music.

It is up to the teacher to cover everything, but I know from experience that some times it does come down to the students knowing enough to speak up if they feel something is missing. Teachers aren't perfect, and I hate to say it but some of them are just lazy. If your daughters teacher isn't accepting students maybe she can recommend someone good, or try your provincial registered music association chapter.

#927086 - 01/24/07 08:31 AM Re: Melody Playback Condensed
emrys Offline

To Diane W

I will be asking my daughter's teacher if she'll take me on even though she has dropped alot of her students due to her very busy schedule with ORMTA, composing, lecturing, etc.
My daughter's playing improved alot since she started with this teacher and her understanding of the pieces she's playing and the "history" or analysing of the pieces has shown me that I am REALLY getting my money's worth from her teacher.

There's hope for me yet.

To StephanieF

Thank you for your reply.

I'm glad that the misunderstanding is cleared up.
Even though I don't post often, I do find these forums very helpful and enlightening and I really enjoy visiting them.

In hindsight (which is always SO clear after the fact) I probably should've looked for a new teacher when this one suggested it in Sept 06, giving the reason that it's good to switch teachers every few years, but I somehow I felt that this was not the time to do it halfway thru the preparation for an exam.
Now I realize she was NOT really preparing me for the exam as she should've been.
Oh well...those wrong notes have been played and there's no use mulling over them.

If you all would like a follow-up to my exam please read my posting on Pianists Corner "My Gr. 8 Exam".

Keep on playing...

Emrys

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
107 registered (amv256, AndrewJCW, anotherscott, aesop, Almaviva, 29 invisible), 1472 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75908 Members
42 Forums
156875 Topics
2305085 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How does a composer/songwriter learn piano chords?
by amv256
Today at 09:49 PM
The Chair
by Brinestone
Today at 09:44 PM
Baldwin BJ124; Are Baldwins still quality?
by Benn
Today at 07:30 PM
Tuning levers
by AaronM
Today at 07:17 PM
Buying a Piano
by boppy75
Today at 06:24 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission