Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#928099 - 09/14/04 09:06 AM Thompson Piano Method
Shrimps Offline

This is really a great forum. What is the general consensus on Thompson Piano Method compared to other Methods that are out there? What are its strong points versus its weak points? What is the average time it takes a student to complete each book. I know its relative to the student but im just trying to get a rough idea of the time the average student takes. Also once Thomsons is finished what would be prudent to study next?

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#928100 - 09/14/04 11:21 AM Re: Thompson Piano Method
8ude Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I used the Thompson books in the beginning and found them to be pretty good. I thought there was a decent variety of material and it was pretty well presented - but I don't know how it ranks in comparison with some of the other methods. Truth be told, I only went through the end of the second book before I ditched it and just started working on "real" repertoire.

I would be interested in responses to this question also, because I am considering doing a little teaching on the side and it would be good to know what opinions are of the various methods.

#928101 - 09/14/04 01:37 PM Re: Thompson Piano Method
Tavner Offline

Loc: San Diego
I have found the Thompson books to be pretty good for beginners. But, I have found that stopping after going through Book 2, and switching to another series, to be much better than continuing onto Book 3. The pieces in Book 3 become too difficult too quickly, in my opinion. Lately, I have had good success with the Faber & Faber series (Lesson Books 1-5). After Book 5 I usually switch to the "real" repertoire books.

#928102 - 10/06/04 04:22 PM Re: Thompson Piano Method
cranky woman Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
There are some wonderful piano methods on the market today. Thompson is relatively older, and focuses on teaching just a few keys, mainly F, C and G in the early stages with extra emphasis on middle C.

As a piano teacher of 18 years, I've found that my students do much better using a "multiple key method". There are several very good methods that are age appropriate as well as fun and engaging for the student. My personal favorite is the Faber & Faber series. I also have started teaching the new Celebrate Piano series by Frederick Harris. This is a nice intervallic approach. I've also used Alfred, Hal Leonard, Beanstalk Basics (pub. by Willis) and Bastien (my least favorite)

The methods listed offer a nice variety for me. I teach several different students, and sometimes it's good for other options, so I don't get bored. I am also a firm believer in siblings not using the same books as their older siblings.

Cranky woman

#928103 - 10/06/04 07:25 PM Re: Thompson Piano Method
Matthew_dup1 Offline

Loc: Australia
From a student (John Thompson - JT) and parent (Suzuki) perspective I would rate Suzuki a lot better. I look back on my JT days as a wasted opportunity (The use of CDs just seems so obvious how can any method ignore them - and is now the time for DVDs as well?). The long haul with JT before you get to decent repertoire -say full sonatas - just cannot be compared to the rapid progress based on the best composers and 'real music' on Suzuki. BTW who was John Thompson?

#928104 - 10/07/04 12:47 AM Re: Thompson Piano Method
Deutsch Offline

Loc: Germany
I learned via John Thompson, and still pull out the books (coverless now) and play some of the pieces. I use them sometimes for some of my adult students (especially if they had music lessons as a child and are returning) but I don't like them with kids. They have too much fingering on them, and they move too fast for many young beginners. I prefer Faber & Faber, and the kids seem to really like the "fun" books by them. Like Cranky Woman, I use different books for siblings -- but only if they are starting at the same time. Unlike her, I like Bastien, and use it as my second option. I haven't had much success with Alfred.

#928105 - 10/19/04 11:24 PM Re: Thompson Piano Method
PianoMum9 Offline

Loc: Surrey, BC
I've used the Celebrate series, and like it fairly well. I would never use John Thompson these days with all the better options available. My personal preference is also Faber and Faber, for several reasons. It uses as little fingering as possible, and it moves them around the keyboard quickly, like the older Music Tree (also good, but expensive I found)books, so that they don't get into the habit of "reading" by fingering as I found they did when I used the Bastien series. The Faber also has a well designed series of supplementary books, good teacher duets in the early books and theory books that incorporate sight reading and some ear training.
The Celebrate series is also good; it's designed to lead the student into the graded Royal Conservatory of Music books directly afterwards.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Fulfillment- a story in episodes:
by PhilipInChina
Today at 12:44 AM
First time digital piano buyer
by Frames
Yesterday at 10:58 PM
Yamaha U3 - How old is too old?
by Yekul
Yesterday at 09:53 PM
Digital Vs. Acoustic is apples and oranges so far
by harpon
Yesterday at 08:40 PM
the sound of unrestored Erards
by Michael Sayers
Yesterday at 08:34 PM
Who's Online
68 registered (AZNpiano, Adypiano, ARamadan, angga888, 14 invisible), 1058 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76657 Members
42 Forums
158500 Topics
2327681 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission