2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (brdwyguy, accordeur, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, 6 invisible), 1,896 guests, and 276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#930662 09/05/07 04:23 PM
D
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
D
We are all very, very, busy!

So how do you budget your time into reading and posting on Piano World.

Feel sometimes that I can't contribute or write as eloqently as others cause I haven't got the time to read, post, and respond to private messages as proficiently as I would like to!

So do you give yourself an hour a day, at coffee break, when the boss isn't looking . . .?

Need advice how to NOT become addicted and still be able to participate and still manage a very busy life.

Interested to know how you do it!

Help!

http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/goldsparkledress.jpg
Diane
Jazz/Blues/Rock/Boogie Piano Teacher
[Linked Image]
B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
Diane W,

Good question! I'm trying to figure that out myself, especially the addicted part.

Since I joined in June, I've been an active poster, and I've really enjoyed all the reading I've been able to do in the archives and daily postings. I find it stimulating and rejuvenating to address issues that we share.

I seem to be here as a "reward" to myself for doing the other (really necessary)responsibilites I have. It also has become quite social because of PMing. It has added new dimensions to my life. I don't get this input any where else - and a real benefit to me, I've been able to practice putting my thoughts into more clearly stated written communication. This is a good benefit and workout for a piano teacher. (It's also relevant to that "book" I've been trying to write for many years, and that collection of work already stored in my computer, I find it's coming to life as a goal again.)

Now that the summer is over, and it's back into a heavier schedule of afternoon teaching (mostly) I won't have the same freedom to sit down whenever I feel like it to read and post.

The eloquence is not necessary, although some people have a way of getting to the point quickly and write succinctly. That would be a goal for me!

"Help!" is right!

Betty

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
"Hi, my name is Erin, and I'm a PW Forum addict." laugh

I spend a lot of time in front of the computer in the mornings, but I do try to only do that when I don't have anything pressing to do. I figure if I don't even look, then I'll be OK.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
I make sure that I go out with my friends and spend time with them so that i'll feel happier and I won't need to spend so much time on PW.
I have been spending a lot less time on this forum since I 1st joined.

Mastering:Chopin Etudes op.10 nos.8&12 and op.25 no.1, Chopin Scherzo no.4 in E major op.54, Mozart Sonata in B flat major K.333& Khachaturian Toccata
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Sorry, I've been practicing. What was the question?

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
John,

The question is: "What are you practicing?"

I am still on "vacation" at home, by the way.

Betty

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I have a few other message boards I frequent, so I REALLY have to budget my online time!

Right now, I'm on a 3 minute break between students wink

~Stanny~

Independent Music Teacher
Certified Piano Teacher, American College of Musicians
Member: MTNA, NGPT, ASMTA, NAMTA
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Stanny, are you admitting to visiting "Piano Street?"

Betty, I'm polishing up Jardins sous la pluie before starting a student on it.

Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
My work varies from day to day, so sometimes I don't have time to go online at all, and other days I have a fair bit of time. It's 9am here at present, and I'm having a quick look/post before doing some work. I do try to set limits (you know, like "when the big hand comes around to the top again, I'll stop") smile

Du holde Kunst...
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
This is what I tell my students with addiction to computer games and/or video games:

"You may play one minute of game for each minute you practice the piano."

I make them (or their parents) time the piano practice, and use a count-down clock to time their computer/video game usage.

If you're addicted to PW, then maybe you should use the count-down clocks, too. Give yourself maybe 10 minutes per day.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
No, I'm not on any other piano forums (well, I lurk at pianoteaching.com, but rarely post) I'm also really into frugality and money management (which comes in handy in this profession!)

~Stanny~

Independent Music Teacher
Certified Piano Teacher, American College of Musicians
Member: MTNA, NGPT, ASMTA, NAMTA
I think I spend too much time here. I originally came to Piano World to find information on digital pianos that would help me choose a model to buy.

Right now, I am saving up money to buy one, but still hang around PW to check up on random topics. I'll be trying to cut back and focus more on study and work. x_x

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Diane W :

Bless you! You have opened up the confessional!

Even before I retired, I was quite addicted to Piano World forums. Now, it's better (worse?) than ever! I read and post several times a day : after breakfast, during my morning practice break, at lunch, after dinner, sometimes even staying up "past my bedtime".

I usually start on the Piano Forum, then I move to the Pianist Corner, then I read threads that interest me in the Piano Teacher's Forum and the Adult Beginner's Forum, posting occasionally. Should that be enough for one session? No, before I sign off, I go back and see if anyone has posted anything while I was on the other forums!!

I need help!!

By the way, it should read: Piano Teachers' Forum, not Piano Teacher's Forum. As it is, grammatically speaking, this is a forum for one piano teacher. Same goes for the Adult Beginner's [sic!]Forum and the Composer's Forum.

Once a teacher, always a teacher!

Cheers, folks!

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Yikes, I was too afraid to tell how much I check out the forums all throughout the day. But BruceD was brave enough to 'fess up on the worst bit of my habit (most telling of an addict.) I thought I was the only one. Glad I am in good (?) company. :p
Should that be enough for one session? No, before I sign off, I go back and see if anyone has posted anything while I was on the other forums!!

[Linked Image]
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
I can go days without looking at the computer. And I only read some of the subjects.

It's not an addiction,,,,yet!

I saw this post and just had to read it, and then had to reply. I really enjoy reading here on PW, and post occasionally, but tend to feel like a lurker because reading is usually all I have time to do. I often wonder how people have time to keep up with the reading, and then have time to reply. With over forty students and the rest of life to take care of, there is not much time for the computer. Often times I don't post answers or advice because by the time I have time to do it, others have done it, and my two cents would just be redundant.

Perhaps if I typed faster... Anyway, this is a good time to say how much I appreciate the people who do post regularly; I learn so much from all of you. 2hearts

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
www.cameronparkpiano.com
Full-Time Private Piano Instructor
D
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
D
Thanks for all your honest replies! Great reading!

So decided (on my own; no help from all you addicted PW members), that I'll spend twice as much time on the piano as I do on PW. Have to have a plan, right!

Looked up the word addicted:

ADDICTED - one who is psychologically or physiologically dependent (as on a drug).

Can we all agree that Piano World is our DRUG of choice!?

thumb

http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/goldsparkledress.jpg
Diane
Jazz/Blues/Rock/Boogie Piano Teacher
[Linked Image]

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Problem? Who's got a problem?! I don't have a problem!!! laugh

[Ms. 8000+ posts slinks away guiltily]

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Yes, I am addict as well.
PW helps fuel much of my procrastination.
I purposely went 2 weeks without reading this or the other couple of (guitar) forums and without signing on to any IM’s just to make sure I still had some semblance control.
It was rough and somewhat of an eye opener.
But this is such an awesome forum, I figure it is not the worst form of procrastination.
(Or is that just a rationalization of my addiction??)

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Egads, look at the number of posts. I am spending way too much time here. But it sure is enjoyable. cool

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission