I went to my piano lesson Tuesday. I had only just started my second prepared piece when the teacher jumped up and almost shouted, "it was YOU!"

I stopped and asked her what she meant. She said that all week she has had this melody running through her head. She would even wake up in the middle of the night with this melody running through her thoughts. And now, she told me, "THIS is the piece!"

It was a piece simply entitled "Song" -- it is about the fourth piece in Edward MacDowell's SEA PIECES book.

When I got home, I discussed it with my wife. I told her, "I take this as a compliment." My thought was, if I had hacked the piece up, I doubt it would have made such an impression. Well, who knows?

I might add that I tend to select my own pieces to play at my lesson. (If the teacher had assigned the piece, then it would really be wierd that she could not recall the source.)

Her being haunted by this melody is also a nice tribute to Edward MacDowell. Some of his music is truly memorable. Too bad more people don't play and appreciate his music.