Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#933405 - 01/25/07 03:18 PM Keith Snell Series
NancyM333 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Roswell, Georgia
I really like the Keith Snell series of books, and while I don't use them exclusively with my teacher, I think they provide a really good selection of pieces and the theory book to go along with them.

My question to teachers is about the Level 10 book. I've played several things from that book that seem very different in their level. Clair de Lune, for example, took much less time than Brahms' Rhapsody in G minor for me. I'm trying to decide if what he means by Level 10 is really "10 and above." I really like the Dohnanyi Rhapsody in C Major, but it sounds extremely long and difficult.

If you have used these books, have you found the level of difficulty pretty consistent through each book--Baroque/Classical, Romantic/20th Century and Etudes? It may just be some holes in my own technique that have me bogging down on some much more than others. Here are links to their contents if you want to take a look:

Keith Snell Level 10 Romantic/20th Century

And does anyone know if he uses a standard list to grade these pieces so I could choose from a larger selection at this level than what he has chosen to include?

Thanks,

Nancy

Estonia 168, Yamaha UX3

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#933406 - 01/26/07 01:01 PM Re: Keith Snell Series
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington, USA
Hi Nancy,

I use the Piano Repertoire series heavily, as my students do Guild Auditions at the National level or above (10 or more pieces across the 4 major musical eras) although I am also using N. Jane Tan's series to give me some relief. For the most part, I use up to level 6. By that time, most of my students are well into composer collections and I generally use high end ones, such as the Henle, Schott UE, Peters, etc., as I feel students can profit from reading without editor's interpretations, but the fingerings are provided by top conservatory professors.

I expect my students to learn all the Inventions, two complete French Suites, 4 or 5 Mozart Sonatas, etc., so why not have them get fine editions right off the bat?

Back to your question. Each level contains repertoire which overlaps both the previous and next level. That is, in level 2, you can find level 1 pieces and level 3 pieces. I think Keith did this on purpose, because he put this series together for Kjos to address a need facing teachers in California prepping students for their state exams (at least this is what I remember him telling me). If the student plays the harder pieces in level 2, most examiners will not have a hissy fit if the student is playing a level 3 exam.

There is also a problem deciding repertoire's level of difficulty. Just look at Jane McGrath's listing, Maurice Hinson's listing, Francis Clark's, etc. Romantic and 20th cent works are all over the place. Even classical isn't exempt. I've seen Mozart K545 listed as low as level 5 and as high as level 9 (on Snell's scale).

#933407 - 01/26/07 03:14 PM Re: Keith Snell Series
NancyM333 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks so much for your information, John. That clears things up for me. Five years ago I did a Guild program in order to get the Sonata Plaque, something I had wanted in high school but quit piano in a fit of teenager-dom. After playing all those sonatas, I have loved using the Snell series to get a more broad selection of pieces, and it helps to know I'm not in over my head before I start. Of course, my teacher also helps me, but when I'm looking for a new piece on my own, I don't want to fall in love with something that should be reserved for conservatory students. Sometimes it's hard for me to tell.

I enjoy all your posts. Thank you for all your contributions to this forum.

Nancy

Estonia 168, Yamaha UX3

#933408 - 01/26/07 07:21 PM Re: Keith Snell Series
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Nancy - thanks for the kind words. I'm sure there are lots of teachers out there who could contribute a lot, but are either computer illiterate or don't have a lot of time on their hands. Right now, I'm at the "between" age. Over 62, so drawing social security, but less than 66, so cannot carry a full teaching load without being penalized! Can you believe it. Anyway, I'm catching up on my reading both at the piano and pedogogic writing. And also have a bit of fun time on the computer.

#933409 - 01/28/07 12:07 AM Re: Keith Snell Series
NancyM333 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

John, that's too bad that you can't carry a full load, but I'm sure you have many decades left for teaching. I'm amazed at the teachers who teach for so long. It's definitely a calling to them. My own teacher is 73, and I don't think she plans on retiring at all. She teaches nearly 40 students. I know another teacher in her upper 80s who has a waiting list for students. When you're good, your gift doesn't fade much until your pulse stops, I guess!

We on PW are certainly the unintended beneficiaries of the IRS's policies. I should write them a thank you!

Nancy

Estonia 168, Yamaha UX3

#933410 - 01/29/07 10:16 AM Re: Keith Snell Series
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Don't thank the IRS - they are just doing the bidding of Congress! And who knows why they came up with such a silly policy.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
139 registered (Atrys, accordeur, anotherscott, A Guy, Andrej Gabara, 47 invisible), 1419 Guests and 29 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74250 Members
42 Forums
153592 Topics
2251040 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Casio PX 850
by ryand90
Today at 07:41 PM
Am I Too Old?
by HatemTarek22
Today at 07:34 PM
New 52" upright with 10K budget?
by WCSdancer
Today at 07:26 PM
give up on old acoustics and buy a digital?
by carojm36
Today at 06:41 PM
I think I have a problem
by JoelW
Today at 05:02 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission