Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#933889 - 12/10/03 01:13 PM What do grade levels really mean?
WynnBear Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Dallas, TX
Hi, I'm returning to piano after an absence of 30 years. I bought the Magrath book and find it fascinating reading, and a great source of suggestions for pieces to try out.

But some suggestions and help are needed, please.

The last pieces I was working on when I went to college and stopped playing are all listed by Magrath as level 10. I'm also a much better sight-reader than I used to be. I can do a credible job sight-reading level 8 pieces (the slower tempo ones that require skill with expression and voicing). I'm not saying I read at performance level, but certainly good enough to recognize the piece and hear its performance potential.

But I don't know what this really means. Does this equate to early advanced level? Late intermediate? ABRSM level? I see those mentioned a lot although I'd never heard of them until I found PW.

Also, I'm not completely comfortable with my recovering skills yet. I'm particularly unhappy with faster passages; just don't have dexterity back yet.

Any suggestions? More scales and arpeggios is all I can come up with. Any exercises that would help, e.g. Czerny, School of Velocity, etc?[/b]

I'm in a very time-demanding professional level job and participate in two choruses (I think this is what helped the sight-reading), so time is a very limited quantity for me, and I'm reluctant to try to add piano lessons and assignments to my already full schedule.

Thanks in advance,

Wynne

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#933890 - 12/10/03 02:29 PM Re: What do grade levels really mean?
Archer1 Offline

Loc: texas
All the pieces in Magraths books labeled as level 10 are considered to be advanced pieces. She states throughout the book that certain works are not mentioned or suggested such as the Chopin Etudes becasuse the etudes "are masterworks in terms of musical substance and technical value. All, however, are beyond the range of this book in level of difficulty." She points this out in several places in her book. So if you can play level 10 (advanced) pieces with ease. Than why not venture "out of the book" and start persuing some of the great "masterworks" that goes beyond the advanced stage.
Blessings

Ruth

#933891 - 12/10/03 02:39 PM Re: What do grade levels really mean?
Archer1 Offline

Loc: texas
Wynn,
I forgot to mention, I belive the ABRSM goes to grade 8 which would be advanced and the RCM which uses the very nice Celebration series goes to grade 10 which is also advance. Neither one uses any material which would be considered as masterworks according to Magraths interpretation.
Three years ago I was at one of Magraths seminars and she gave handouts listing what she considered Masteworks. If I have time I'll hunt through my files and list the pieces she says goes beyond advanced. Also Magrath has her own 10 volume series of books - level 10 is advanced. Last I heard, Magrath is supposed to be working on levels 11 and 12 with her own masterwork selections. I recieved a note from Alfeds a year ago about levels 11 and 12 and they said they wouldn't be released for another year or two.
Blessings

Ruth

#933892 - 12/10/03 10:22 PM Re: What do grade levels really mean?
WynnBear Offline
500 Post Club Member

It would be great if you could find that info in your files.

I started back to the piano in August as time allows.

Meanwhile, do you have any suggestions for recovering & improving speed and dexterity? [/b]

For example, I'd love to learn the Chopin waltz, Op. 64 No. 2, but find the rapid eighth note runs to much for me right now. Another example: one of the pieces I had almost performance-ready at one time was Mendelssohn's Andante and Rondo Capriccioso (Op. 14). I can do the beginning of the presto section if I'm very careful, but when the right hand goes into extended sixteenth-note arpeggios, I'm still stumbling all over myself.

Also I'm getting back my sense of hand position, but occasionally flub a thumb crossing.

Other than scales and arpeggios, any particular exercises and/or etudes that would help? Czerny?

By the way, my piano as a boy was a 1930 Wurlitzer studio with a cracked sound board. I just bought a Charles Walter console, and I'm really loving the music I can make. I just wish I was better at things that require rapid, clean finger-work.

Thanks for your help, Ruth. By the way, your e-mail is disabled, but I sent you a private message some time ago that you haven't read yet...

Wynne

#933893 - 12/20/03 05:35 PM Re: What do grade levels really mean?
Pyano Teacher Offline

Loc: California
WynnBear,

Have you tried to work on all those passages with rhythmical combinations of eighth or sixteenth notes?

There are many of them and their purpose is to experience all different (and difficult) rhythms and after that, when you go back to playing regular notes as they are written – it seems so easy to play them.
You would practice, for instance, one group of four notes in different rhythms, such as punctuated notes (long-short combination and vice-versa), two long-two short notes (and opposite), one long note plus short triplet notes (and opposite) ….. You apply this to entire passage, of course. There is much more in this and it is hard to explain details in words. It’s much easier to do that with concrete notes.
If you are not familiar with this way of practicing and would be interested to try it, feel free to contact me by e-mail, and I will be happy to send you all the details.
I use this method with all my advanced students. At the beginning they are not very happy with any of those combinations, because it requires their full attention, but once they feel lightness in their fingers, they are pretty excited.
These rhythmical combinations will help you with improving both your tempo and dexterity. In a mean-time, just relax and don’t “panic” if something doesn’t work right away. Dealing with music requires a lot of patience.

#933894 - 02/05/04 05:43 AM Re: What do grade levels really mean?
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pretoria South Africa
Hi WynnBear,

Let's hope this submission doesn't prove old news. Nothing worse.

But why the passion for speed?

Your comment on the Chopin waltz, op. 64, no.2 tends to indicate that you don't need to pass any more boring grades. No wonder you get a bit breathless tackling the pio mosso in the Chopin waltz - but then so does Ashkinazy. Not only is the tempo immediately faster but speeds up to the point of recklessness.! Perhaps what you need is a little rest from this particular gem and as suggested by Archer1 to try another masterpiece to which you are attracted and provides just the sort of challenges you seek to regain your nimble fingering.

My one concern is the possible vain wish to beat back the years. Not possible.

In my book there is nothing quite like the carrot of a breathtaking piece of music to lure one on to greater heights, not necessarily settling for music that matches the hectic pace of earlier years. At all costs avoid the soul-destroying aridity of finger-studies by second-rate musicians.

Beethoven's Emperor Concerto does everything for me as does the Grieg, Schumann and Rach 4. How about Chopin? There must be some suitable undiscovered charmer amongst the wealth of Etudes, Waltzes, Preludes, Scherzos, Impromptus or Ballades - even the Nocturnes and Sonatas can really test the fingers. Well worth a visit.

#933895 - 02/23/04 05:42 PM Re: What do grade levels really mean?
WynnBear Offline
500 Post Club Member

I decided to spend some time with the Mendelssohn Songs Without Words. These were all new to me and I'm finding them delightful.

Thanks!

Wynne

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
137 registered (36251, accordeur, Abby Pianoman, Alexander Borro, 50 invisible), 1410 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76042 Members
42 Forums
157249 Topics
2309618 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Aebersold Play-Alongs
by EP
09/02/14 06:39 PM
Plan on playing this Thursday night
by Visalia
09/02/14 06:16 PM
New Kawai DP & RH3 action (CN35 & CN25)
by Northerner
09/02/14 04:50 PM
Kawai MP11 firmware v1.07
by DilEcosse
09/02/14 04:24 PM
all BBCode tags are broken
by beet31425
09/02/14 03:13 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission