Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#934087 - 09/19/05 01:38 PM How involved should I Be?
MomOfStudent Offline

Loc: Florida
Hi. My child began piano lessons about 18 months ago because she expressed an interest. I am a "non-musical" parent with no real expectations in mind. I planned on taking things a month at a time. So far, I have been pleasantly surprised to find that my daughter is demonstrating a keen interest and talent. (She has just wrapped up Piano Adventures Level 3b)

I am committed to supporting her lessons as long as she remains interested and committed.

Up to this point, I have left the direction of my daughter's lessons completely up to the teacher. Is this what I should be doing? Are there certain things that I should be looking for to be sure that her lessons continue to progress? Should my daughter be involved in competitions at this point, and if not, when? What expectations should I have?

I want to educate myself and make sure that I am making wise decisions for my daughter. Any comments or resources you can provide is greatly appreciated.

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#934088 - 09/19/05 02:25 PM Re: How involved should I Be?
John Delmore Offline

Loc: Shreveport, LA
Good job, Mom! You didn't say how old your daughter is--this could have some bearing on responses. But the best thing right now is to let the teacher guide things along. Assuming you found a good one. You can stay on top of things by talking to your daughter--asking questions like "Do you like the music you're learning?", "Are there other styles of music you'd also like to play?". If you get any responses that you feel are negative, or perhaps even tepid, look out. If your daughter is not having fun, she won't continue. You don't sound like the sort of mom who would be a "Practice Nazi", but if you ever feel the urge--resist!! She started this on her own, and maybe (doesn't sound likely, really) she will lose interest. I don't think you can "force" someone to be a musician.

As to competitions, I was never in one until I changed teachers in high school. I think that varies with the teacher--some don't do competitions at all, some start their beginners in them (at graded levels, of course) right away. Personally, I think they are great "confidence builders". Recitals, too.

Expectations? You can expect that your daughter enjoy learning to play the piano. You can expect that she will want to upgrade her piano, eventually. You can't expect that she win the Van Cliburn competition any time soon.
Bienvenue!: http://louisianaskyline.net/forums/index.php?

#934089 - 09/19/05 02:45 PM Re: How involved should I Be?
John Delmore Offline

Loc: Shreveport, LA
Oh, yeah, find a good piano tech, and have the piano tuned AT LEAST once a year, preferably twice. If anyone can tell it's out of tune, it's WAY overdue!! Also have the tech check out the regulation, and regulate if necessary. Lack of piano maintainance is an insidious hinderance to progress, even in the beginning stages (perhaps even worse than at more advanced levels).
Bienvenue!: http://louisianaskyline.net/forums/index.php?

#934090 - 09/19/05 03:30 PM Re: How involved should I Be?
MomOfStudent Offline

Loc: Florida
Thanks John for your reply. I probably should have made myself a little clearer. My daugher is 11 and I believe she has a good teacher. (Although, because I do not have a music background, I can only base my opinion on her interaction with my kid - which is positive.) I'm not really concerned with how fast or far she progresses, as long as she is enjoying herself and continues to improve. She seems serious about her lessons, practices without being told and looks forward to, and is prepared for, every lesson. I will be happy if she comes away with a love of music and continues to play because it pleases her.

My questions really center on how to increase MY understanding of the teaching process. I want to be able to have an intelligent conversation with my child's teacher about progress and future goals. At this point, I feel very ignorant. I asked about competitions because her current teacher does not participate in anything other than recitals, and I was wondering if this was a good thing or a bad thing. From what you said, that could go either way.

Again, thanks for your help.

#934091 - 09/19/05 04:03 PM Re: How involved should I Be?
canaday Offline

Loc: Petaluma, CA
It might be worthwhile to take lessons with a teacher for a few months. Even if it isn't something you want to continue with, you will gain enormous insight into how lessons work, how the relationship between teacher and student develops and, not least, what is hard and what is rewarding about studying music.

By the way, your approach sounds just right. My daughter just started lessons, and I am hoping to strike that balance between supporting her without taking over. It's a tricky thing!

#934092 - 09/19/05 09:43 PM Re: How involved should I Be?
gryphon Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Okemos, MI
In my opinion, if your daughter is young (she is) and she is newish (she is) you should be actively involved in directing her education. There are too many things that can go awry that would make your daughter want to quit: teacher attitude, pieces assigned, raport with your daughter, etc. One she gets advanced, then, no.

#934093 - 09/20/05 02:02 AM Re: How involved should I Be?
Candywoman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Speaking as a teacher, I would say you're doing a fine job monitoring your daughter's piano education. However, you should probably ask your daughter's teacher her policy on competitions if you are interested.

"Just recitals" in fact take a lot of work, and yield enormous results, so I would be happy with just that.

I would stick with this teacher for at least five years, but then think about switching if it seems right to do so. One of the best things you can do is provide continuity in the first five years.

I'm not a fan of Piano Adventures because the depth in the music is not there. Perhaps you might ask the teacher to provide some meatier substance to the program in the form of a few other books when the time seems right.

Good Luck!

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Are injuries the result of bad technique or over practicing?
by rov
09/20/14 05:44 PM
Learning M/m Key Areas in minutes: know the patterns!
by A443
09/20/14 05:32 PM
RECORDING ON ELECTRONIC KEYBOARDS vs. REAL PIANOS
by woolmusic
09/20/14 04:49 PM
Pianoteq 5 - no sustain
by David Farley
09/20/14 04:32 PM
Real piano makes star happy, Agree? Disagree?
by Sand Tiger
09/20/14 03:09 PM
Who's Online
122 registered (accordeur, AB99, 43 invisible), 1372 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76260 Members
42 Forums
157650 Topics
2315618 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission