2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,172 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#934234 06/15/08 08:38 PM
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Now that warmer weather is with us, I've noticed that several students are "ripening." And from time to time, a student loses control, or doesn't know enough to maintain control.

Just curious how you other teachers handle this? Ignore it? Speak to the students? Other approaches?

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I go over and turn on the fan.

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I'm not a teacher but, just to toss in some humor, keep a sewing needle handy. If they do that, jump like the scared the beegeebers outta ya and jab them with it. That should solve the problem in no time flat! laugh

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Um, er ah, er ah?

John, are you just talking about a normal adolsecent male, a dude growing up, experiencing what all men have? heck, he wakes up the same way we all do.

Just ignore the situation and go on with the lesson. We were all there once, we understand as guys. Your non-reaction will let him know that is absolutely normal. Going on with the lesson will change the focus and help him get over his embarassment.

Marty in Minnesota
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
No, actually, I'm talking about a couple of young ladies!

Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Marty, I have absolutely no problems talking these hygiene issues with young men. . . .it's how to approach the young ladies!

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Tactfully bring it up with Mom or Dad.

Tactfully.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Ask Elise_B!

M
M
I've known some teachers post a sign on their door (they're at a music school saying that if you have "gastro-intestinal disturbances" to not have a lesson (in addition to sniffling, coughs, etc. Perhaps a blanket statement for all students will help single out those that are causing the issue. Or simply have a jar full of Gas-ex on the piano smile

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
And I always thought that women never, ever, could possibly do such a thing.

How about a sign saying "Use Beano or Begone".

Seriously, if it were an ongoing problem, I would discuss it with the parents. A teaching studio can be a bit like a closed elevator.

Marty in Minnesota
John v.d. Brook,

I got a real chuckle out of your post, but realize that it is a legitimate concern. Let's face it, warm weather does "ripen" people.

My bachelor's degrees are in Music, but my Masters is in Early Childhood and Elementary Education. My high school (24 years) offered a 4 year teacher prep program which with rare exception, was taken by girls. When the weather warmed up, so did the "atmosphere" in the classroom. Being a male, it is hard to tell girls that they have a hygeine problem but I used to do it privately when necessary. The thing is, your students may be unaware of the problem and friends/family just don't want to address it and hurt feelings. If you have a good enough relationship with the students, I think it can be addressed with respect and "good taste". How about...
"Sara (or whoever), would you mind if we discussed something that might make you feel a little uncomfortable"...as a lead in. Sometimes contacting parents gets resentment going...as you would have gone behind the student's back..which is certainly not productive.

No matter how it's done, it is awkward but assuming that parents/friends are aware but don't want to say anything, you will,
in fact, be doing the student a favor...after the initial embarrasment.

It shouldn't be thet piano teacher's responsibility to address a hygeine problem but believe me, I had many occasions to address similar issues with students and the results were overall quite good. I think it's all in HOW you approach it and how good the relationship is with the students.

my 2 cents worth...Alan in RI

John v.d.Brook...

One further thought on your hygeine question..

Gas happens to everyone. Though unpleasant, I don't know what can be done to prevent THAT problem. How about a can of room spray or a candle going in the room. Yes...it would be a bit embarrasing to whip out the Lysol in a middle of a lesson, but beileve me, the student is already embarrased. Maybe you could say something like, "the room is a bit stuffy...would you mind if I sprayed some air freshener?" As far as providing medication to the students...well, I can't see what would be effective in that endeavor. Also, parents might not like your giving Tums...or Gas-X or whatever...to their kids.

I'm smiling here and appreciate the "gravity" of the situation. I also see the humor in it though as I'm sure you do. Ceiling fans work wonders. wink

Alan in RI

Thanks for a good laugh!

I shared this with my 13-year-old daughter. She is now going to her room because she forgot to put on her deodorant today (again) after her shower. Yes, she has her lessons today.

You made the point clear to her better than 'old Mom' ever could.

Thanks!!

Marty,

Yes, the fairer sex can indeed engage in all kinds of unexpected behavior. It's an equal opportunity world in so many ways.

And here I thought you were a man of the world!

wink

Ceiling fans work wonders. ______________________

Yeah, so long as they're blowing downwards eek

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Thanks for the replies wink and I'd be delighted to hear any other thoughts. When I posted the topic, I realized that it could be both humorous, but at the same time, a serious problem for those a sensitive sense of smell who do have to put up with a lot!

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Well, Lyndon Johnson once said "Jerry Ford is so dumb he can't fart and chew gum at the same time." So, perhaps your students are just demonstrating coordination...LOL

PTG Associate Member

"There is always room above; there is only the ground below."....F.E. Morton (with props to Del F.)
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hey John,

I was thinking. How about making a little flyer addressing hygiene with the coming weather, closed environments and handing it to all the students that way it's not directed at just the 2 who are being offensive and everyone gets the message.

Kind of like the "handwashing" sign posted in public rest rooms.

For example

Ladies and Gentleman,

With the warm season sometimes body odors attach themselves to us and we bring it along like the little brother or sister we had to drag around as kids.

In order to minimize the discomfort from these odors and the proximity with which we have to sit and the closed environment and in order not to have to wear gas masks, here are some procedures to follow to have a pleasant odor free environment.

Make sure you bathe and use deodorant prior to coming to class

Wear clean underwear after bathing. Wearing the same pair might cancel out the shower

If you're unable to bathe prior to class, take a washcloth and soap and wash the areas that can be offensive.

If you have a footsey odor problem, wearing closed shoes with socks would be wonderful

If you have to toot, hold it or take it to the restroom where it belongs.

You can insert clipart to make it fun. I don't know just a suggestion to avoid singling out people.

Good luck though. phewwww teee heee

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bear, Fuzzy Wuzzy had no hair.>>> Herman Munster
B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
I'm surprized no one has mentioned halitosis!

How unfortunate that a student is likely to "sin" in all the ways imaginable at one lesson.

It might be better to proceed with questioning their well-being: "Peggy Sue, I've noticed that _______ and I wonder if you would like to use my bathroom to refresh in.

Maybe keeping baby wipes in the bathroom would help parts of the problem. Who knows where this could lead to in having supplies on hand.

Some people are caught unaware with these kinds of problems, and others are just plain lax in their hygiene.

Then there are those with a drippy nose, and those who (the younger ones) put their fingers in their mouth at the lesson.

I've also had kids with sweaty palms, and that in itself is an embarrasing problem to handle.

It's not all about odor, sometimes other things create messes that need immediate attention. In my years of teaching I've had one that "lost her cookies" thankfully onto the floor and not the keyboard.

Betty

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Oh, Betty, thankfully, that's one problem I've never had to deal with.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission