2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
41 members (alexcomoda, Animisha, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 9 invisible), 1,157 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Oxfords Gal - nice wording! You lightened it up, but addressed the problem without making it too personal. And the way you said "we" sometimes have these problems makes it friendly and a common concern we all share as humans - which it is. I'd use your flyer if I needed to, for sure (but it's winter here smile ).

Du holde Kunst...
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Might also want to include in the "general note for the season" something about please not wearing perfume or cologne. In warm weather, those who favor heavy doses can make their victims nauseous....We always had strict taboos against this in rehearsals and during performances, but it's even more problematic in a small studio than in a big concert hall. One person's choice of "heavenly scent" can be another's nightmare. Then, too, there are allergies.

SantaFe_Player
Heels down, and tickle the bit.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Has anyone noticed the music teachers in general all smell like soap, toothpaste, and mouthwash? wink That should give students a clue.

What does one do if an urgent case of flatulence hits? Say "excuse me", back into the hallway, hope it is inaudible, and come back with a sunny smile, settling back down to the instrument? It the results are audible, I suppose it is the teacher who would be hiding a grin. laugh

Dietary recommendations to our growing "general letter to all students" - no beans or garlic the night before.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Keystring, that's actually one I've never had to address. Usually the "hygiene" issue I've had to deal with was trimming the fingernails....which is really more about grooming. I wonder what my students would have said *I* smelled like. Probably coffee!

SantaFe_Player
Heels down, and tickle the bit.

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
How about a sign that says "Please shower before entering THIS pool."

Oh, I couldn't resist.

laugh

Marty in Minnesota
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Betty P.,
When I was in 9th grade, I took organ lessons from a strange man who had halitosis. What made it worse, there was an air conditioner that was right next to the organ (Baldwin Model 5A) that blew his bad breath on me. LOL He was a good teacher, though. I learned a lot!!

RickG
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Maybe you could buy a poster for your studio. smile

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
laugh thumb

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Maybe you could say something like, "the room is a bit stuffy...would you mind if I sprayed some air freshener?" .....And then empty the can aiming directly at the "problem area?" laugh laugh

What does one do if an urgent case of flatulence hits? Say "excuse me", back into the hallway, hope it is inaudible, and come back with a sunny smile, settling back down to the instrument? It the results are audible, I suppose it is the teacher who would be hiding a grin. [Big Grin]

Off topic but, that reminded me of the time I was about 7. My dad was talking to the neighbor across the street, an older gent. I was with him. standing behind "him." I happened to be in the direct line of fire when this older gent let one awful smelly one rip. I couldn't run around the other side of my dad fast enough to get away from it!!! confused

I looked up at my dad who continued talking and acting as if nothing had happened and wondered how in the heck could he still be keeping a straight face when I wasn't?

I later asked him about it because it was rather LOUD too. He said, oh, the old guy can't hear. I'm sure he thought there was no sound at all. eek

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
M
M
Originally posted by Akira:
Maybe you could buy a poster for your studio. smile
LOL! I love it! This hasn't been a big problem for me, other than the occasional fart. My studio happens to be quite a large open space, so it doesn't take long for it to dissipate, either. I generally ignore it. But if I had a student with a chronic issue, I would tell them directly and politely. Most of my students feel comfortable enough that it wouldn't embarrass them too much.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
LOL - But Jerry, couldn't he feel the deep bass vibrations?

Marty in Minnesota
L
L
I've had to tell my piano teacher that I was allergic to perfume. I usually can stop breathing when I am in an elevator and someone comes in with a strong smell, but since the piano lesson lasts one hour... It was better than fainting in her studio!

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I don't know Marty. All I know is that I couldn't swing around that corner fast enough to get away from a blast in the face! Like a big tuba blowing your hair back! I felt like a snake jumping out of its skin. GET me outta hereee! EeeeeeK!

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
I see that someone disapproves of this topic. Sorry, it can be a real problem for us.

Let me say that what got me thinking about it was two events, occurring the same afternoon. Student #1, young lady, had smelly feet. Every time I went to write on the music, I had to hold my breath. Student #2, the very next lesson in fact, must have had kimchi for lunch, because as I was focused on her phrasing, I thought I heard a squeal coming from the other room, only within about ten seconds, I nearly dropped dead. I asked her politely if she needed to use the rest room for a minute, but she looked at me with a most perplexed expression, so I let it drop, and kept my distance the remainder of the lesson.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Miss Manners says we should ignore personal embarrassments that the person can't easily change or fix (e.g., a fart that has already occurred) and politely point out the things that the person can (e.g., spinach stuck between teeth). I personally wouldn't say anything about either case, especially the gas situation. But if I felt compelled to raise the issue at all, I *definitely* would do it directly with the student rather than talk to the parents.

Why don't we complete the terrible trio and add halitosis to the discussion? laugh

edit: whoops, I just noticed that the word has already come up.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
If the poster proves unsuccessful, you could use a product like this (which is actually designed for swimmers, but I see no reason why it can't be adapted to the piano teaching profession). smile

If that doesn't work, bring all of your socks from the hamper during their lesson and give them have it back (have your nose plugs handy though, so you don't pass out). smile

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
John, I think it's a very good topic. Surely most piano teachers have encountered these problems.

Your girl who broke wind might not have even been aware of it. It's rare but if they are really concentrating on playing this can happen. I have found that most people are horrified that they have let one drop in the middle of the lesson. A little humour makes them feel easier about it. I often make some joke about 'bum notes' or 'not quite the phrasing I was thinking of' etc.

The body odour is much more common. I keep a plug in air freshener in my room. When it gets warm (rare in the UK!) I open the door and have a fan switched on. You get to know which students smell a bit ripe and can plan ahead. I have to say it tends to be the boys rather than the girls. However, I think the smelly feet can be down to poor quality footwear for girls. I like them to remove shoes when they come in to keep the carpets a little cleaner but sometimes it is better that they keep them on.

Pianist and piano teacher.
Originally posted by Akira:
If the poster proves unsuccessful, you could use a product like this
Or this

Apologies to our more bashful posters, with post edited. Now even funnier! (with help from Marty).

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
KBK - I find that to be offensive at Piano World.

(NOTE: The offensive photo/link has now been edited by the poster.)

Marty in Minnesota
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission