Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#935035 - 10/22/05 11:04 PM charging on a sliding scale
Candywoman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Has anyone tried pricing on a sliding scale? I have some very wealthy clients and also some quite middle class clients who would most likely always be attending the same recitals. Thus far, I've always had one rate based on my time being of a certain value. I would appreciate any input. Thus far, I've thought I should charge extra for exam preparation.

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#935036 - 10/23/05 10:38 AM Re: charging on a sliding scale
Hobie Offline

Loc: Rocky Mountains
Candyman
I, too, have a bunch of wealthy clients, and then some middle-class, and other struggling families.

I am going round and round with this one. I supposed I could raise my rates across the board and then pull aside those who needed a break and make a special deal with them. I don't think I could hand out income disclosure materials to my clients....what do I do, say, "Hey, I've got your bill, but first can I see your car?" and if they are driving a Mercedes then I give then a higher bill?
It is a touchy subject. For now I'm sticking with the same rate for everybody. If you figure out a way to do the sliding scale fairly, please share the details!!

#935037 - 10/24/05 12:10 PM Re: charging on a sliding scale
WKS70 Offline

Loc: GA
In the past, I've had a secret deal with one or two families with tight incomes. However, it didn't take long to discover that it opens a door for all kinds of abuse, even from the nicest people. They don't mean to take advantage of you or your time, it just happens. It's a kind idea, but unless there are some really extraordinary circumstances, I'm not willing to do it anymore. I've discovered that people value what they pay for, and they value YOU based on what you charge and what they believe you deserve. You'll find that when you give a low-priced deal to a "poor" student, the family still spends a fortune on all kinds of entertainment, clothes, etc. Once you give someone a really great deal, you can't hardly go back on your word and say, okay, since you guys can afford to take your kid to the movies and buy expensive clothing, it's time for you to pay me what I deserve. You're stuck.

Just my experience....

#935038 - 10/25/05 09:00 AM Re: charging on a sliding scale
Piano*Dad Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
This is always a tough issue.

Suppose there is a market rate in your area for someone with your qualifications. If you can fill all your spots with people who are willing to pay that rate, then having a sliding scale simply takes money out of your pocket. You can do this if you wish, but you know the cost.

I once ran the finances for a small co-op day care center. We had a sliding scale that subsidized people making less than the median national family income. The problem with the scale is that you lose revenue and you can't charge the others MORE than the market rate to make up the lost revenue or they'll jump ship. In my daycare case we were literally taking money out of the pockets of low pay workers to put it into the pockets of people making over 40K per year. Go figure.

How often do you go into a restaurant and get a lower priced meal because you make less than a banker? Is your car, or its gas, priced lower because you're not Bill Gates?

Now, if you CAN'T fill all your spots with full pay customers there is an economic rationale for a sliding scale. If you can divide people into clear groups, and they can't easily deceive you (i.e. to get a discount you have to prove your income is lower by showing a legitimate 1040) then you can increase your income with a sliding scale.

Of course you may not want to go the full proof route and instead just give discounts subjectively. The problem with this is that you're now in the world of customer discontent .... "why is so-and-so special and I'm not!!"
Grotrian 192 #156455

#935039 - 10/25/05 10:48 AM Re: charging on a sliding scale
Hobie Offline

Piano Dad
Thank you for yur input...I entertained ideas of a sliding scale but kept coming to the same conclusions you have. I have a soft spot for families who are trying to afford lessons for their children. I do use a program based in our community called "Boundless" and they have scholarship $$ for low-income families to use for things like piano lessons. I have 6 students who receive help from them. It is part of the community foundation, which in my area is well-funded. Are there other programs like this out there?

#935040 - 10/25/05 03:12 PM Re: charging on a sliding scale
John Delmore Offline

Loc: Shreveport, LA
That sounds like a great program to start all over the country, Hobie. Do they have a website, or where can I find more info?
Bienvenue!: http://louisianaskyline.net/forums/index.php?

#935041 - 10/25/05 04:17 PM Re: charging on a sliding scale
Hobie Offline

check your email..I sent you the info

#935042 - 10/27/05 11:50 AM Re: charging on a sliding scale
musiclady Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada
I have been the beneficiary of a teacher who offered me a reduced fee. When I first started taking clarinet lessons several years ago, there was no way I was able to afford $60 CDN for a one hour lesson. I told my teacher of my situation right away, and he let me take lessons at $40/h. I was always trying to give him referrals as well as simply being a good student. I remember one day he told me he'd rather teach a good student at a reduced fee than a mediocre one at full fees.

I currently have one student who I teach on a reduced fee--but in exchange, they also have to help me with some aspects of my business, like folding brochures, delivering flyers about my lessons in the area they live, and doing my mailings to school music teachers.

Meri

#935043 - 10/27/05 11:25 PM Re: charging on a sliding scale
Candywoman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thank you all for the input. I think it's better to keep one price then. Greetings.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
108 registered (Atrys, AZ_Astro, accordeur, antony, AZNpiano, 22 invisible), 1313 Guests and 48 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74206 Members
42 Forums
153514 Topics
2249608 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Morning Mist: a ballade for piano
by JoelW
04/17/14 12:27 AM
Insanity
by Polyphonist
04/16/14 11:55 PM
Yamaha P140 sluggish keys : how to fix?
by Bambell
04/16/14 11:52 PM
Cristina Perri - HUMAN piano cover
by SAO
04/16/14 11:12 PM
Valentina Lisitsa plays Michael Nyman!!
by ShiroKuro
04/16/14 10:17 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission