Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
145 registered (anamnesis, accordeur, Alan Cyr, 36251, acollins, allakart, 36 invisible), 1796 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#935080 - 08/01/08 02:13 PM Student roster in relation to economy
pianoexcellence Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Abbotsford, BC, Canada
Everyone knows that Canda is 2 years behind the USA when it comes to economic forces. I have been teaching in Canada for 6 years now. The economy has been very very strong for the entire duration of my career, and it shows, I (and every other serious teacher in my area) have comfy waiting lists, and Zero compliants when we raise rates.

Of course, when the USA catches a cold, we sneeze up here too. House prices are beginning to slide, GDP is hovering near Zero. Some areas are in recession...the only thing that keeps us from being in a national recession is oil-rich alberta...bless thier hearts.

For those of you who live in areas where consumer confidence is shaken, or areas where the last number of years had construction based economies, how has the economy affected your roster?

I've always thought of our work as recession-proof, but of course, I know nothing about the flip side of the business cycle.

Any Comments are welcome.

Jeremy BA, ARCT, RMT
Pianoexcellence Tuning and Repairs

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#935081 - 08/01/08 02:56 PM Re: Student roster in relation to economy
Highlander One Offline

Loc: Texas
Piano slaes are slow........piano lessons are not.

H1
Touring musician since 1985
Studio musician since 1996
I Love the Piano

#935082 - 08/01/08 03:02 PM Re: Student roster in relation to economy
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
Ditto here. The school I was working at last year has seen a 50% growth in enrollment. I moved two months ago and already have eight students from referrals and two recitals to accompany for the coming school year.

In about a week, I'm actually going to start advertising, so we'll see what turns up and I'll keep people posted.
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#935083 - 08/01/08 03:47 PM Re: Student roster in relation to economy
dumdumdiddle Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
My town has one of the highest housing foreclosure rates, however I've never had as many students as I have now. I figured that high gas prices would force families to make some tough choices and that enrollment in piano lessons and music/movement classes would be affected. Apparently not. Go figure.

#935084 - 08/01/08 04:31 PM Re: Student roster in relation to economy
Stanny Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I raised tuition rates by 10% this year, and although I was worried about two families and was ready to make a concession in their cases, I didn't get a single cancellation or negative comment, and still have a waiting list. This probably means I'm still underpriced.

Independent Music Teacher
Certified Piano Teacher, American College of Musicians
Member: MTNA, NGPT, ASMTA, NAMTA

#935085 - 08/01/08 06:49 PM Re: Student roster in relation to economy
John v.d.Brook Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington, USA
Interesting insights. I heard on the financial news yesterday that a typical vacation at Disney World costs over $4,500. I cannot imagine a family spending that kind of money on such clap trap. But apparently they do. But now, with the cost of gas at $4/gal, vacations are being canceled and low and behold, $1,400 for a year's worth of piano lessons is now doable! Our good fortune.

By the way, I've picked up quite a few new students as well. I am most appreciative.

#935086 - 08/01/08 07:20 PM Re: Student roster in relation to economy
Betty Patnude Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Puyallup, Washington
I have that appreciation going too, John, in my studio. I started 4 really great younger kids 4,5,6,8 in July, all beginners and I'm having such a wonderful time with them and vice versa. These kids are musicians in their profiles - I'm amazed at the good ears they have, and the confidence, and the patience.

One is a sister team, and then the boys are not related. The older sister went to her Mother's bedroom at 5:30 last Monday morning to get her Mom up because it was her lesson day and she didn't want to miss her 10:30 lesson. Now if that isn't enthusiasm, what it?

I'm amazed of the number of my student's families traveling around the country this year - nothing seems to have changed in their lives (thank goodness for that!)that is making them feel deprived or making compromises that I can tell from here. I'm happy for them.

Regards everyone!

Betty

#935087 - 08/01/08 07:43 PM Re: Student roster in relation to economy
lalakeys Offline

Loc: Chicago 'burbs
Our family went to Disney World this summer--we PERFORMED as part of a jazz ensemble at Cosmic Ray's Cafe in the Magic Kingdom! Hubby is the director, I play piano (of course!), son plays trumpet, daughter jazz flute, and 10 other players (saxes, brass, percussion). No, our family probably wouldn't have spent the $ to go to Disney World this year; but we were able to go because of a nice package we got as a "performer's discount".

And if anything, I've seen an uptick in the number of families inquiring about lessons. When money is tight, most folks want to get maximum "bang for the buck"!

\:\)

#935088 - 08/02/08 02:52 AM Re: Student roster in relation to economy
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
It's weird. My roster has maintained similar numbers for the past two years. Whenever two or three leave, two or three come. I just lost three this summer (they claim to be "on vacation" and never returned) and got a new transfer that's better than all three of them put together. One of my colleagues is moving (20 miles away) and is giving away her local students; I'm waiting for the calls.

September is always the best month, but I'm hoping to fill all the slots by the end of August and (for the first time) start a waiting list.

#935089 - 08/02/08 03:01 AM Re: Student roster in relation to economy
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
Wow, speak of the devil...I just got three calls for lessons on my voicemail, all from the studio of my colleague who is moving away.

#935090 - 08/02/08 11:54 AM Re: Student roster in relation to economy
Betty Patnude Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Puyallup, Washington
I've thought again about this thing of wanting a large studio and I am remembering that when my studio was 35-40 students, I was busiest taking care of business and working very hard to stay on track in every way that a piano teacher does.

This was before the advent of computerized everything and e-mails - then I used telephone and US mail for communication. Today most of my communication is quickly done by e-mail. I can prepare a message that pertains to all and address it quickly and out it goes to everyone. Saves a lot of time obviously.

The music was not the difficulty, it was the pleasure of it all, it was the business end - record keeping - making notes to follow through on - that needed daily attention and effort at the time.

I think it's important to keep good balance going for everyone - the more participants there are the greater the odds and the risks toward being overloaded.

With a talented, personable assistant in the office arena, that would allow me to take on more students. Someone else would handle the details according to my studio policy and recordkeeping needs.

The problem of this being, finding that person and being able to employ them at the wage they deserve. I dream of having an assistant to be the extra head and hands to my business.

AZN, I hope the "crop" of new students will be a wonderful experience for all in your studio. I think this is a very exciting experience!

Betty

#935091 - 08/02/08 10:34 PM Re: Student roster in relation to economy
pianoexcellence Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Abbotsford, BC, Canada
 Quote:
Originally posted by AZNpiano:

September is always the best month [/b]
Wow, I'm completely opposite.

May/June, I have phones ringing off the hook to try out lessons for the summer and into the Fall. And then a steady trickle throghout the rest of the year.

Jeremy BA, ARCT, RMT
Pianoexcellence Tuning and Repairs

#935092 - 08/05/08 06:44 PM Re: Student roster in relation to economy
musiclady Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada
I'm actually being forced to turn away students...even after interviewing to help make sure the student and the family will likely be a good one. Even my boyfriend is almost full, plus I need to prepare for my exams, (clarinet, piano, and theory!), auditions, and several performances.

Meri

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha
Yamaha
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Friction in actions
by Withindale
11/23/14 06:55 PM
Nord Electro 2
by Auver
11/23/14 06:23 PM
Suites recital -addendum
by Ganddalf
11/23/14 04:47 PM
Playing piano without a piano
by Cavell
11/23/14 04:31 PM
Chick Corea master class
by Dfrankjazz
11/23/14 03:42 PM
Forum Stats
77023 Members
42 Forums
159298 Topics
2340034 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission