Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#936009 - 04/30/08 10:07 PM advanced pieces for small hands
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
I've been searching through my books for advanced pieces for students who can't reach an octave. I tried to simplify some pieces by reducing the octaves, but it can only go so far before a piece starts to sound "hollow" due to missing notes. I still have pieces from the Baroque and Classical periods to teach, but I'm running out of ideas for Romantic and 20th century pieces. From the latter periods, I've taught the following:

Schubert Impromptu in E-flat 90-2
Debussy Dr. Gradus ad Parnassum (modified)
Copland The Cat and the Mouse (modified)
Kabalevsky Sonatinas, Four Rondos
Khatchaturian Sonatina (3rd mvnt, modified)

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#936010 - 04/30/08 10:58 PM Re: advanced pieces for small hands
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington, USA
While I think about your question for a bit, take a look at a solution your student might be interested in:

All about Keyboards for smaller hands.

7/8 Keyboard background

#936011 - 05/01/08 03:44 AM Re: advanced pieces for small hands
fingersandthumbs Offline

Loc: kent, england
Apologies for interrupting you thread but I couldn't help noticing the topic. Speaking as one whose muscles go into spasm when I stretch to reach octaves, the idea of a 7/8 keyboard is absolutely brilliant. Why ever haven't they been introduced before? One for the Piano Forum perhaps.

Thank you. I'll go away now and dream...

#936012 - 05/01/08 09:17 AM Re: advanced pieces for small hands
MarkFromNYC Offline

Quote:
Speaking as one whose muscles go into spasm when I stretch to reach octaves, the idea of a 7/8 keyboard is absolutely brilliant. Why ever haven't they been introduced before? One for the Piano Forum perhaps.
Speaking as yet another small-handed pianist, I think that the only way that the idea of smaller piano keyboards can work is if we change the world standard and start making them ALL smaller. Otherwise, wouldn't you run into major issues moving from the smaller size to the larger standard size?

One of the big problems with creating special pianos that address things like that is that while we might be able to have one in our living rooms, we can't easily drag it to a concert hall. On the other hand, now that DPs are coming into their own, maybe we can.

(You spasm when reaching for octives? Wow! And here I am complaining because I can only barely reach a 10th.)

#936013 - 05/01/08 10:05 AM Re: advanced pieces for small hands
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

I was sitting next to Mario while he was videoing Carole's presentation. I didn't realize my gasps and chuckles would make it onto the web! Any way, it's a terrific piano. I first met David at the WPPC conference a year before.

And that leads me to a related thought - if you're planning on purchasing a grand for your student, why not purchase a reconditioned one, and specify either 7/8ths or 15/16ths size keyboard.

Now I've totally hijacked the topic. Sorry.

#936014 - 05/01/08 10:19 AM Re: advanced pieces for small hands
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

What is the largest interval your student can handle? An octave? If so, many of the Mozart and Haydn sonatas would do, but they are not Romantic or later. Perhaps Debussy's Gardens in the rain would do. I've seen it performed well by students with very small hands.

The real problem is that music from 1850 on is much richer in texture (as you well know) and that demands a broader hand span to accomplish.

If your student can play octaves, perhaps some American jazz would also be reachable.

#936015 - 05/01/08 12:19 PM Re: advanced pieces for small hands
Karisofia Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
Recently came across a listing for this piece: "Concertino for Small Hands" by Koh-Ichi Hattori. Don't know anything about it except that the largest interval is a 7th.
The Achievement Program Center Representative

#936016 - 05/01/08 12:52 PM Re: advanced pieces for small hands
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

My student's biggest reach is a 7th. "Garden in the Rain" has octaves all over the place (including octave triplets), plus extra wide stretches between notes. I'm surprised kids with small hands can handle that piece.

There are still plenty of Mozart and Bach that he could play, but some of the festivals and competitions require advanced pieces from the Romantic and 20th Century. Villa-Lobos' "O Polichinelo" can be modified for small hands, but the piece is too short. I tried to modify Poulenc's Improvisation No. 1, and it ended up sounding "hollow" with all the omitted notes.

There is Chopin's Nocturne in C-sharp minor, Op. Posthumous. He'll probably end up using that one. But we're still searching for a 20th Century piece.

#936017 - 05/01/08 01:19 PM Re: advanced pieces for small hands
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Checking Jane MacGrath's Pianist's Guide to Standard Teaching and Performance Literature[/b], I find some suggestions for you. I am not familiar with most.

Jean Absil - Sonatina Op 125 & Humoresque Op 126.

Josef Alexander - 12 Bagatelles for Piano

Rodolfo Arizaga - Toccata (it does have some octaves)

I've only listed 4 possible titles I've found under the A's. She has over 300 pages of contemporary lit for students indexed and rated for difficulty. Surely you have a copy of this book.

For other teachers who are not familiar with Jane's seminal opus, run, don't walk, to the music store and get thee one.

Published by Alfred.

#936018 - 05/01/08 04:41 PM Re: advanced pieces for small hands
ptbarnum Offline

The selections in this book may not be advanced enough, but worth a look, possibly:

It's published by Alfred.

Essential Keyboard Repertoire, Volume 5 (Requiring a Handspan of an Octave or Less)
83 Early / Late Intermediate Selections Requiring a Hand Span of an Octave or Less
Ed. Maurice Hinson
SERIES: Essential Keyboard Repertoire
CATEGORY: Piano Collection
ITEM: 00 -4574C
UPC: 038081126340
ISBN10: 0739021982
ISBN13: 9780739021989
PRICE: $14.95
FORMAT: Book

#936019 - 05/01/08 05:52 PM Re: advanced pieces for small hands
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
What about the Bartok Roumanian Dances? I don't think there are any chords with more than a 7th. They're great fun to play and the set of 6 makes a satisfying whole, with the exciting fast one at the end.

#936020 - 05/01/08 06:27 PM Re: advanced pieces for small hands
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by currawong:
What about the Bartok Roumanian Dances? I don't think there are any chords with more than a 7th. They're great fun to play and the set of 6 makes a satisfying whole, with the exciting fast one at the end. [/b]
Bingo!! Thanks \:D

I also looked through some atonal Muczynski stuff. Not the most engaging pieces for 10 year old students, but they'll work, too. Starer's color pieces (forgot the title) also would work. Some Ibert Histoire would work. I'm finding more solutions how.

#936021 - 05/02/08 01:22 AM Re: advanced pieces for small hands
pianobuff Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest
I have students who are barely able to reach an ocatave who are at an early advanced level.

What I have done is I still give repertoire that have octaves in it.

Our hands will broaden if made to.

There are also stretching excercises that work well too, to broaden hands.

It may not be easy and for a short time the pieces don't sound perfect but it is not too long after that it isn't a problem anymore.

Just a thought.

#936022 - 05/07/08 07:36 AM Re: advanced pieces for small hands
Sal_ Offline

Loc: Lacey, WA
What can one do to broaden one's hands? I have to play octaves off the edge of the keys with my right and just a little better with my left. This has caused many frustrating practice sessions.

I'm seriously considering getting a 7/8 or 15/16 piano when I move, but I'd also want to continue teaching. Has anybody moved from one of the smaller keyboards to a larger?

#936023 - 05/22/08 07:58 PM Re: advanced pieces for small hands
SantaFe_Player Offline
500 Post Club Member

Kabalevsky concertos are great.

#936024 - 05/22/08 08:00 PM Re: advanced pieces for small hands
SantaFe_Player Offline
500 Post Club Member

I mean, they're great (the Kabalevsky concertos) for students who are fairly advanced but have small hands. Some students can never have their hands "broadened" enough. I've had some Oriental women who would always struggle with this. Never been a problem for me, I could reach ten notes when I was six years old \:\)

#936025 - 05/23/08 11:45 PM Re: advanced pieces for small hands
ClaraSchumann Offline

I'm curious about the idea of broadening the hand. Is this really advisable? I have one student approaching early advanced who can just barely reach a seventh, with difficulty. Her hand is very small. She wants to play octaves, but honestly cannot.

#936026 - 05/24/08 12:41 AM Re: advanced pieces for small hands
faucon Offline

Loc: Missouri USA
 Quote:
Originally posted by ClaraSchumann:
I'm curious about the idea of broadening the hand. Is this really advisable? I have one student approaching early advanced who can just barely reach a seventh, with difficulty. Her hand is very small. She wants to play octaves, but honestly cannot. [/b]
An English concert pianist and pedagogue advised me in the strongest possible terms NOT to do stretching or other exercises because of the risk of injury. There are well-known pianists with quite small hands who must be making adaptations in their playing to compensate for their smaller hand size. Is your student still growing and could hope for a greater reach in a few years? Perhaps someone in the forums will have more suggestions.

#936027 - 05/24/08 03:17 AM Re: advanced pieces for small hands
pianobuff Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest
Interesting.

I have small hands. When I was studying music in college, my teacher gave me stretching excercises to broaden my hands. It worked so well. I still use these exercises, and although still small, I do have broad hands.

Perhaps it may not be wise to use this on a growing child's hand, although I have, and those students are developing nice "piano hands" and are able to reach further than before having used these strectching exercices.

I don't think it would do much harm if done correctly. Much like ballet or gymnastics, I assume.

#936028 - 05/24/08 02:49 PM Re: advanced pieces for small hands
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

My second piano teacher was a small Chinese lady whose hands barely stretched a 7th. She contemplated surgery to cut the webbing between fingers.

I am not familiar with hand-stretching exercises, but neither my professor nor I would recommend them. I wouldn't tell my students to do something that could potentially injure their hands! They are still young, so their hands will get bigger, eventually.

#936029 - 05/26/08 11:22 PM Re: advanced pieces for small hands
ptbarnum Offline

Also see this thread on this topic:

http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/topic/2/16803.html

This mentions some more advanced pieces.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
The 2 Most Common Questions Conundrum
by chernobieff
10/21/14 02:44 PM
Heroic Polonaise help please...
by ChopinLives81
10/21/14 02:28 PM
Maurizio Pollini at Carnegie Hall
by Works1
10/21/14 12:53 PM
Steinway event
by Radio.Octave
10/21/14 11:18 AM
Some Questions About "Piano Magic"
by newbert
10/21/14 10:58 AM
Who's Online
147 registered (Almaviva, accordeur, alfredo capurso, ajames, 36 invisible), 1744 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76608 Members
42 Forums
158400 Topics
2326082 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission