2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
31 members (crab89, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, BWV846, Animisha, 9 invisible), 1,226 guests, and 272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#936626 11/15/08 05:08 AM
N
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
N
I've been through many teachers in the past and now. I've realised that there are some teachers that don't mind talking and giving more than they need.

There are some teachers that just do their jobs they stay for the allocated time and then they go home. Others, don't mind talking and giving more, not just teaching about piano and music but about life and giving advice. Personally, I really admire the latter.

I just thought I'd start this to hear how teachers feel ... any disagreements or agreements?

Some teachers I know don't like to get attacted and just like to keep to the content of the cirrculum, they like to teach students how to get a certain mark ... others like to teach about life ... any thoughts?

#936627 11/15/08 05:34 AM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I teach them how to stand and how to walk. Is that about life? I live cheap and work less, so I'm never in a hurry.

#936628 11/16/08 12:33 PM
B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
"Education is more than preparation for life, it is life itself." John Dewey, American Educator.

Teaching is about the pursuit of knowledge and excellence, loving your subject, and communicating it in the learning style of the student so as to empower him toward his highest capacity.

Having something to say or teach, saying it, and having it received and used is the walk and the talk of it.

Betty

#936629 11/16/08 12:48 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I hear what you are saying Rebekah.

I have an interesting relationship with my students. When it comes to the talk about things outside of piano, I usually limit it to references to the outside experience that I think will help a student understand a concept.

One key point I think you are bringing up is the concept of staying exactly with a cirriculum. I have had teachers who were good at administering a program, but were dreadful teachers. There was no connection, and there was motivation to be great.

It takes a personal connection...it takes a focus on the individual student...it takes a demonstration of the teacher's flexibility and wholehearted will to see the student succeed. This is the platform on which a teacher can become a mentor, and call a student to be great.

BTW...some students just want a program, they want no extra talk, and they want to stick with the game plan with no relationship developed with the teacher. No problem, it's all about keeping in touch with each student and adapting to their needs.

-P-

Music is the surest path to excellence

Jeremy BA, ARCT, RMT
Pianoexcellence Tuning and Repairs
#936630 11/17/08 05:17 AM
N
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
N
Originally posted by pianoexcellence:
I hear what you are saying Rebekah.

I have an interesting relationship with my students. When it comes to the talk about things outside of piano, I usually limit it to references to the outside experience that I think will help a student understand a concept.

One key point I think you are bringing up is the concept of staying exactly with a cirriculum. I have had teachers who were good at administering a program, but were dreadful teachers. There was no connection, and there was motivation to be great.

It takes a personal connection...it takes a focus on the individual student...it takes a demonstration of the teacher's flexibility and wholehearted will to see the student succeed. This is the platform on which a teacher can become a mentor, and call a student to be great.

BTW...some students just want a program, they want no extra talk, and they want to stick with the game plan with no relationship developed with the teacher. No problem, it's all about keeping in touch with each student and adapting to their needs.

-P-
Thanks Jeremy, glad somebody understood. It could be just the bumpy years I am undergoing that makes me want to spill on the very next person I talk to. Perhaps its because I have the tendancy to want to share my feelings (sorrow, fustration, excitement, motivation, happiness ...) to the world.

Understanding a concept sounds great, I often talk conceptually and I often form these ideologies and theories to different things.

#936631 11/17/08 10:59 AM
C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
For me it depends on the student. Some like to talk and tell you about what is going on in their lives and some don't.

I try to stay on task and focused on teaching as much as possible. It's not always the most important thing though. I have had some lessons with teenagers (probably similar age to you Rebekah) where not a single note was played. They just needed to talk so that is what we did. Then there are those who try to talk in order to waste time because they haven't practiced. You have to watch out for that one.

kbk, how do you live cheap in London?

Pianist and piano teacher.
#936632 11/17/08 11:14 AM
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally posted by Rebekah.L:

There are some teachers that just do their jobs they stay for the allocated time and then they go home. Others, don't mind talking and giving more, not just teaching about piano and music but about life and giving advice. Personally, I really admire the latter.

I just thought I'd start this to hear how teachers feel ... any disagreements or agreements?
Personally I don't actually have the time to get talking to students but maybe that's because more than half of my students are teen boys. My guess is boys don't talk about things or life. They pretty much don't say a who lot now that I'm thinking about this.

And I would agree with Chris that some students will talk to waste time because they haven't practiced in hopes that I won't notice maybe.

Also, I don't discuss issues (problems, parents, troubles) with students because there are always two sides to a story, and I don't like to hear one side and not the other. So to me it's just gossip and I'd rather be teaching because that's what I'm getting paid to do!

http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/goldsparkledress.jpg
Diane
Jazz/Blues/Rock/Boogie Piano Teacher
[Linked Image]
#936633 11/17/08 04:04 PM
G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally posted by Diane...:
Also, I don't discuss issues (problems, parents, troubles) with students because there are always two sides to a story, and I don't like to hear one side and not the other. So to me it's just gossip and I'd rather be teaching because that's what I'm getting paid to do!
I do think that the male teens talk less. I thought it might not be the same with lady teachers. wink

I will listen to problems, if it is necessary, but I have to be very careful not to take sides, for the reason you mentioned above.

Also, if I'm busy listening to reasons why practicing is not taking place, there is no chance to move ahead in lessons.

#936634 11/17/08 10:57 PM
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally posted by Gary D.:
I do think that the male teens talk less. I thought it might not be the same with lady teachers. wink [/QB]
The teen boys talk less, but have to mention that each one has a cell phone that would just constantly ring if the boys weren't polite enough to shut them off during lessons! The boys tell me they can be called every two or three minutes from girls!

Probably the only peace and quiet those boys get all week is at their piano lesson! laugh

http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/goldsparkledress.jpg
Diane
Jazz/Blues/Rock/Boogie Piano Teacher
[Linked Image]
#936635 11/18/08 12:12 AM
G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
[QUOTE]The teen boys talk less, but have to mention that each one has a cell phone that would just constantly ring if the boys weren't polite enough to shut them off during lessons! The boys tell me they can be called every two or three minutes from girls!

Probably the only peace and quiet those boys get all week is at their piano lesson! laugh
I'm not sure that some of the girls would not get just as many calls. smile

#936636 11/18/08 07:36 AM
N
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
N
Originally posted by Gary D.:
I do think that the male teens talk less. I thought it might not be the same with lady teachers. wink

I will listen to problems, if it is necessary, but I have to be very careful not to take sides, for the reason you mentioned above.

Also, if I'm busy listening to reasons why practicing is not taking place, there is no chance to move ahead in lessons.
This is interesting, its true that males are taught from an early age not to talk. Since infancy this is. In saying this, I notice that within teachers it doesnt make a difference, male, female both listen.

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission