2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
40 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,179 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#936891 10/27/04 02:25 PM
P
OP Offline
P
I am hoping some of you have had this problem before, so you can help me with it. I have a student, a girl about 10 years old, who can play fairly well. I started teaching her this past August, so she has had other teachers before me.
She is playing pieces from the Faber ChordTime series so you have an idea of where she is playing-wise.

My problem is this: Once she plays something, whether it is right or wrong, it is that way forever. Notes I have been able to fix fairly well if she has practiced them incorrectly. Rhythm is another story. I have been trying for several weeks to get her 2 eighth notes followed by 2 quarter notes to turn into 4 eighth notes (which is what is written on the page). It is very frustrating. I have been teaching for 8 years, with close to 100 students in that time, and I have never encountered one just like her.

We've tried putting words to it, clapping (which she can do fine, but it won't translate to the keys), copying me, and saying rhythms. So, anything else anyone can think of would be wonderful!

#936892 10/27/04 07:22 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Did you try clapping correctly and then use just one finger on the key to play the notes just like she clapped?

#936893 10/28/04 09:16 AM
D
D
Try rhythm verbalisation. Which is pretty much what u had mentioned actually. But did u make her say it while she's playing or before? It makes a heck of difference.
I get 'schools' of these kind ogf students all the time. That's why I hate teaching kids, I think the'll all drive me to an early grave.
Or how about divising a rhythm ex and have her play rather than just drilling her on the musical context from the passage itself?
There's this music that I use for students with this kind of problem( interchanging between semibreves, minims, crothchets, quavers ). It's a lovely duet that u get to do with your student while she repeatedly plays do, re, mi, fa, so in all different combinations of rhythm. The book is Beyer, I can't remember the page number though.
Or alternatively( if it's a BH passage)... get her to play just the problematic hand and sing out the notes of the other hand at the same point of time. Or vics versa. It's an effective method. Try it.
Or last resort which I strongly recommend:
Give her a heck of a time. smile

#936894 10/29/04 07:54 AM
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I tell ya, I have a lot of respect for you folks who can teach music to kids!

-Paul

"You look hopefully for an idea and then you're humble when you find it and you wish your skills were better. To have even a half-baked touch of creativity is an honor."
-- Ernie Stires, composer
#936895 10/29/04 08:21 AM
HI pianocamel,

Have you tried rhythm games? Teaching through games can really be effective, especially if you offer group theory lessons. When I teach group theory lessons to students of similar age and ability, it is amazing how positive peer pressure can motivate students! They all perform their pieces for each another and then we play theory games to reinforce different theory concepts. You can find some really fun and pedagogically sound games at www.tcwresouces.com . Your local music store may also carry games as well.

Rhythm can be a real challenge for some students. I've found that if we cover these problems in a group setting, students really rise to the occasion and want to be correct in front of their peers. You may find the stubborn quality of her personality will change in front of her peers.

Good luck!

Cranky Woman laugh

#936896 10/29/04 08:38 AM
P
OP Offline
P
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll have to give them a try and let you know how it goes!

#936897 10/31/04 09:15 PM
I like Cranky Woman's ideas. Thanks CW. I find Flip-a-Rhythm (Boosey&Hawkes) is very helpful. We clap/snap/shake/play (etc) rhythm duets, switching back and forth between the parts, beginning easy and becoming progressively more difficult.

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission