2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (amc252, brennbaer, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 9 invisible), 1,790 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#937647 07/07/08 11:12 AM
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
I'm sure playing octaves has been discussed before, but I couldn't find the answers doing a search.

There is a fun old Billy Joel piece I like to play at parties, called Root Beer Rag.

(You can see/hear Billy play it hear)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VB1_aZ-Psk

I can get through the piece ok, although admittedly not as well as he can :-)

But...
I find my wrist tightening up on the octaves.

Suggestions for how to loosen up my wrist when playing octaves?

[Linked Image]

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Try playing them very slowly, allowing your hand to relax back to normal in between each octave. Also make sure your wrist mobile. Continue this slowly until you can do it easily, then gradually increase the speed (use of a metronome can help). As it gets faster, your movements will be less exaggerated, but the feeling should remain the same.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Oh, just do it like Lisitsa in the Rach prelude in G minor.

Prelude in G Minor

laugh

A little more seriously, my son was recently taught exercises to essentially drop in to the octaves so that the weight of the arm is doing the work. The wrist is just a hinge, and in fact he is supposed to be able to bounce a little on drop in so that the wrist doesn't tighten. It worked for him on that piece.

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Morodiene:
Try playing them very slowly, allowing your hand to relax back to normal in between each octave. Also make sure your wrist mobile. Continue this slowly until you can do it easily, then gradually increase the speed (use of a metronome can help). As it gets faster, your movements will be less exaggerated, but the feeling should remain the same.
Thanks Morodiene,

As an old rock musician I tend to try to play evertything too fast. I'll try slowing it down.

- Frank B.
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
Oh, just do it like Lisitsa in the Rach prelude in G minor.

Prelude in G Minor

laugh

A little more seriously, my son was recently taught exercises to essentially drop in to the octaves so that the weight of the arm is doing the work. The wrist is just a hinge, and in fact he is supposed to be able to bounce a little on drop in so that the wrist doesn't tighten. It worked for him on that piece.
Nice performance, and I like her prom dress :-)

So, are you saying the wrist should be stiff, and the arm doing most of the work, or is it a combination?

- Frank B.
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:

Stiff? Oh no. Flexible.

I'm not a piano teacher, and I don't want to get arrested for practicing the art without a license! ( laugh )

I'm just relaying what I observed at lessons devoted specifically to the relaxed playing of very fast moving chords and octaves. The first thing she had him learn was just 'dropping in.' She had him put his completely relaxed hand six or eight inches above the keys and just drop into the keys. At first, she didn't much care what notes he dropped on ... a sixth, a fifth, heck, a seventh would do! She wanted to see two things. First, as he made contact with the keys she wanted a slight grabbing of the keys from the side. That allows control. Secondly, she wanted his wrist loose enough so that when he made contact his wrist would bounce a bit, i.e. the wrist shouldn't be stiff and rigid as you are playing the moving chords or octaves.

cheers,

Oh, here's his version of the same piece after training:

Prelude in G Minor

Not all the tension is gone. Developing relaxed playing is a multi-year task.

P.S. One of MY favorite Joel tunes is another piano killer .... Angry Young Man. That piece has an entirely different set of technical challenges.

J
J
Frank,

Try this: put your hand, all fingers down, on a desk, table, piano, whatever. Now, move your wrists up and down in a "wave" motion, roughly 3" to 4", top to bottom, per wave. Let your wrists just bounce up and down until it feels comfortable. You will notice that the strongest part of the wave is at the bottom and the lightest part is at the top. Now, take that same technique to the piano, up/down, up/down, up/down, slowly at first then a little faster, then, ultimately, (meaning after a week or so) up to tempo. Never let tension into your arm or wrist - you can play octaves without tension or pain for hours. If you want more help, contact me off line.

PianoPerfection
Teacher, performer, technician
Westchester County, NY
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Thanks Jim (and Piano*Dad),

One of the problems of being essentially self-taught is I've managed to develop bad habits, and my own way of doing things.

Now that I'm in my middle age years (or is it I was born in the middle ages?), I've finally realized I should clean up my playing.

Suggestions are much appreciated.

Best,

Frank B.

- Frank B.
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:

For the page you posted, practice the inside and the outside. Play the octave without the middle note, and practice the middle note without the octave.

When you practice the middle note by itself, be sure you use a knocking motion.

Also, pull the hand up a little higher than normal while you're practicing slowly. You want to train your "pickup" muscles. With both the wrists and the fingers, I've found that many people are very good at the "down," but not as good at the "up."

Another common octave culprit is the thumb. Practice the thumb notes by themselves, being sure to play it on the corner (not the knuckle) and with a light touch.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
M
M
Frank,
It's good that you are working on pieces that challenge your technical abilities. I was self-taught for about 10 years after 10 years of piano lessons, and did pretty much the same thing. However, I did get to a point where I felt I couldn't progress without the guidance of a teacher. I'd recommend it, just because it's so much easier to have someone watch you and get feedback and watch them do it correctly. Just a thought smile

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I wanted to chime in with a comment for Piano*Dad's Youtube video. Since Valentina plays the prelude more quickly, she ends up having to utilize a technique called double bouncing (and sometimes triple bouncing) where the chord is performed as normal, with the wrist used as a shock absorber, except that one movement turns into two or three bounces.

In addition to the slow practice, I'd suggest creating a warm-up exercise for this piece for both hands. Do a chromatic scale in octaves with the minor sixth, ascending and descending, for two octaves. Start slowly, telling yourself to relax between each chord and to allow the momentum to transfer fully into the keybed. Speed it up once you feel you're able to play the exercise without undue amounts of tension.

Pianist and teacher with a 5'8" Baldwin R and Clavi CLP-230 at home.

New website up: http://www.studioplumpiano.com. Also on Twitter @QQitsMina
M
M
how can we play the detached notes on left hand in measure 6.Some teachers says detached notes must be played non legato some teacher says detasced notes can be play two ways legato or non legato

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,244
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission