2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
33 members (Cominut, crab89, Animisha, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, drumour, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 4 invisible), 1,178 guests, and 270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#937861 10/07/07 09:41 AM
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Moody: LOL! I agree with you, but I'm not sure I would have resorted to violence. I think that like you and Betty said, if we hold each other accountable, then there's less of a chance for this kind of abuse.

This reminds me of a different kind of abuse that can be found in this field. There is a teacher locally who moved to the area and began teaching voice and piano lessons. However, she didnt' really teach anything. She would have her students help her out with her business, which was a clothing store of some sort. She would ask them to model for her advertisements, as well as do telemarketing for her. She once approached me to model, and I flatly refused. I received one of her students and learned about this from her. She was alos going around town claiming to me an MTNA member, which after our local chapter did some digging we found out was a lie. We sent her a letter detailing the requiremnts for joining the organization, including the dues, and said in no uncertain terms that she must complete before she can claim to be a member. We heard from the chapter in the town where she used to live, and she pulled the same kind of stuff. She's been rather silent as of late, not sure if she's still around, actually.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
#937862 10/07/07 11:19 AM
Originally posted by AZNpiano:
Is there a correlation between how MEAN a teacher is and how well his/her students perform?

In my part of the world, there are a number of teachers who are notoriously mean, yet they continue to have tons of students who play super well and win major awards! For example, I was sitting in at a competition where a bunch of 5-year-old students were playing. Afterwards, when we all left the room, a teacher started yelling at her student in front of everybody. The kid didn't play the best, and did make some mistakes, but he is FIVE YEARS OLD for crying out loud. For some reason, this teacher continues to get top-notch students who play exceptionally well. Am I missing something here??
I am not in favor of a teacher berating any student regardless of age publicly or privately. However the original thread posting raises questions in my mind.

What are five year old's doing playing in piano competitions? I was under the impression that six or seven was an appropriate age to start formal piano lessons. Are these five year old gifted students? Is the teacher in question one who specializes in teaching gifted children most likely bound for a concert piano career? Are teachers who specialize in teaching gifted children generally stricter and possibly "meaner" than say teachers who teach children who are not really expected to become concert pianists?

Suzanne

#937863 10/07/07 11:31 AM
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
it is pretty common to see a 5 year old in a piano competition, not that common but still common enough...

that's not true, formal lessons can start at the age of 5, it just always depends on the child themselves. Not all are gifted, some are just self-motivated.

Well, my teacher treats all of her students the same and is as strict with every individual whether the child will grow up to be a concert pianist or not. I do sometimes ask my teacher to push me more...

Mastering:Chopin Etudes op.10 nos.8&12 and op.25 no.1, Chopin Scherzo no.4 in E major op.54, Mozart Sonata in B flat major K.333& Khachaturian Toccata
#937864 10/07/07 12:24 PM
B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
The sheer physical task of climbing up the piano bench, sitting at a large grand piano, and getting close enough to the keys to touch them, is an issue for young children.

The "physics" are very "off" for someone who does not have a body sized to see the music without thrusting the chin in the air, creating lots of stress on the body, holding the arms at a level where the hands can play the keys, the size and movement ability of little hands, fingers, and knuckles. It amazes me that most people think this is a "grand" experience for a child to be able to play at an over-sized piano.

In our family, we had a group of grandmothers and great grandmothers on both side who were short 5'2 to 4'8. I luck out at 5'2 and feel absolutely tall above the other women in the immediate family.

"Little Grandma" (4'8") drove a light green studebaker (a small car)and she would grasp the wheel with both hands and sit as tall as she could to see over the dashboard. You could barely see her head through the windshield. This reminds me of the very small person on the bench.

My other thought about the size of things is that Edsel manufactured a very big but short-lived car. I sat in one and felt like the windows started about the level of my ears, and the seat was deep and swallowed me up, the dashboard and controls seemed far away. I looked around and got out of the car as fast as possible, I wanted nothing to do with.

I wonder if small children feel these kinds of sensations when they are in a challenging situation for their body size and development.

If this not a faulty beginning for them?

I have seen videos of little ones, and a serverely handicapped young woman doing remarkable work on the piano. But, the difficulty factor has to be huge for them.

Anyone have any thoughts on the size of the pianist? As well as competitions for that age group?

Please enlighten me.

#937865 10/07/07 01:56 PM
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I don't know about competitions, but I generally don't encourage my students to perform in recitals until they are at least 6 or 7. I ask, depending on whether the child wants perform, but I never push the younger ones.

As for the size of the pianist, I try my best to have an adjustable bench in every studio, and I am desperately seeking a pedal extender so my students' feet can touch some solid ground. We can't change the size of the piano but we can sure change the height at which the students sit.

Pianist and teacher with a 5'8" Baldwin R and Clavi CLP-230 at home.

New website up: http://www.studioplumpiano.com. Also on Twitter @QQitsMina
#937866 10/08/07 01:22 AM
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Betty Patnude:
Reputations are formed on our outcomes with students. I think we can bring out their music without beating it into them.
Betty:

Well, apparently a lot of parents want their kids to get yelled at by this piano teacher. The owner of the music school where she works told me that "I can hear her yelling in the parking lot." So I guess everybody knows what they're getting into when they sign up to have piano with this mean teacher. She thrives on this reputation. :rolleyes:

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
#937867 10/08/07 11:55 AM
My college piano pedagogy teacher was one of these "mean teachers" and (as I alluded to in a previous post on a different thread), I strive to be the opposite of her in many ways. She was a world-renowned pedagogue and performer, but she would often insult and belittle her students and their parents, and her students would often leave lessons in tears. (She was russian, by the way).

She told our class that she believes that most piano students have large egos that need to be whittled down (by means of yelling, insulting, fear-mongering, etc). -- I would have to say that I disagree! This description might apply to some students (maybe ones who have been told that they are "gifted" or have been brought up to believe that they are better than others), but most students that I have met are in need of encouragement (with constructive criticism- of course).

This teacher yelled at the 7-year-old student whose lessons were part of our class. She called her stupid and threatened to send her back one level if she couldn't learn to play staccato against legato on the spot. The girl cried, and, after many tries, she finally did it -- once. After the girl left, the teacher said "You may not agree with my methods, but I got her to do it, didn't I?"

I think (especially for this particular teacher) that it boils down to an issue of pride and arrogance. The teacher wants to protect their reputation at all costs.

private piano instructor
#937868 10/08/07 12:18 PM

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
I keep comparing this situation to that of high school and college sports. We all know the stereotype (apparently accurate) of coaches yelling at their players during halftime. This is supposed to motivate the team. Half of these teams then go out and proceed to win the game. This convinces the coaches that yelling at players is effective. :rolleyes:

Last weekend I was at my 8 year old son's soccer game. The opposing coach yelled at his team throughout the entire game. The content of what he said was not mean, but the volume and tone of voice had all us parents on the other team cringing. If that had been my son's coach, I would've taken him off the team after the first practice.

There is absolutely no justification for yelling meanly at a 5 year old child.

Reading this over, I realize this is more a stream of consciousness than a set of logically oriented arguments, so I'll try to redeem myself with the following: There's an important difference between high standards and constructive criticism vs. being mean. The former is good and the latter is bad.

#937869 10/08/07 12:34 PM
Pardon an off topic comment, but Monica's sports examples just brought this story back to me.

My eldest (who plays the piano) played on a travel hockey team from about age eight to age eleven. The coach was one who would get 'in their faces' quite often. I will say that in some cases he was effective. Kids at this age often go into la-la land and a sharp comment from a coach can pull them back to attention.

Well, we were at a practice one evening and the coach was in rare form. He was quite loud that evening. Then from over the balcony above the rink, the leader of a cheerleading squad leans out and starts to berate him for using foul language. The coach didn't miss a beat....

"I said 'get the PUCK,' lady, that's P-U-C-K, PUCK."

:p

#937870 10/08/07 12:52 PM
Originally posted by AZNpiano:
Is there a correlation between how MEAN a teacher is and how well his/her students perform?
My answer to that would be not necessarily. Some people respond to that kind of instruction, but I think it's few and far between. Most students will be lost in the long run using those methods.

Throughout my music career, I've often pondered why classical music has to be so serious. I think this goes along with the mean question.

Example: In college I had a mean piano professor, he was so cold and cruel. (this was my piano lesson teacher) Well, I asked for a transfer to a different teacher, who was much better but still uber serious. I didn't have much fun in college as a music major, even my theory and ear training classes were dull and dreary.

That said, I don't think this has to be the case. I think that music is really joyous and should be celebrated. It's meditative. It's creative.

My favorite class in college was medieval choir because the professor was full of life, interesting and funny. He certainly got a lot of great music out of us as well! So it wasn't detrimental.

My point is, music doesn't have to be so dry and dull and strict. Definitely not mean. Teachers should pass the joy of music on to students. Then it would truly be a gift worth giving.

Kawai acoustic piano
Casio PX-350
#937871 10/08/07 02:19 PM
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Can't say I've met too many Jazz/Blues teacher's that have this kind of a reputation, but on the Classical side, I've meet a few.

These teacher's usually only have 1 or no children of their own. So, fortunately or unfortunately, don't really know, or better, don't care to know kids. There mind set is on being the number #1 teacher of all their peers! A lot is at stake for them. Prestige and prize winners! They get the students and the respect from the parents with waiting list an arm long!

To add, some of these teachers aren't always obviously mean on the outside, (some are, yes) like yelling at the kids, but a lot of these teachers are mean mentally and that's how they work their magic. These mean teachers usually have a time frame. Mentally they have mind games to get the student to practice more and more. They have an agenda which is to get these kids to finish their ARCT by grade 9 (Age 15) or sooner! With the parents help, they usually get them to their mark. But at a price!Hours and hours of practice, and very little social life.

Here's where I see the problem. There are winners and loser. The winning students are the ones that "get the gold ring" at the end. But God help the ones who don't get the final touch-down at the end of their piano experience. Has to leave a mark!

For the ones who succeed, they are the ones getting the standing ovations at the concert halls!

I guess they can brag about having a teacher that was a "Son of a Witch" with a capital "B". eek

http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/goldsparkledress.jpg
Diane
Jazz/Blues/Rock/Boogie Piano Teacher
[Linked Image]
#937872 10/08/07 02:55 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
If a teacher yelled at me, I'd yell back. The conversation would end with, "You're fired."

If a teacher yelled at my kid, I'd yell at the teacher. The conversation would end with, "You're fired."

I can defend myself, because I am an adult. A child cannot.

It's really very unprofessional and inexcusable behavior.

Would any of you honestly give any business to a vendor, store merchant, plumber, accountant (or similar) who was mean to you? I'm not sure why this situation would be any different.

Treat others as you would like to be treated.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission