Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World) our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps and more.

Free Shipping on Jansen Artist Piano Benches
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
95 registered (Andrei Kuznetsov, AndrewJCW, Bachus, Anticlock, Amosdoll, AprilE, 24 invisible), 1086 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#938104 - 09/20/07 01:46 PM Classical Musician(s) wanted for @ 1 hour wedding gig, Boston area
CoastrLvr Offline

Loc: Lynn, Massachusetts
I am trying to find some classical musicicans for about 45 minutes to 1 hour for the ceremony portion of my wedding (both the ceremony and the reception are being held at the Nahant Country Club in Nahant, MA). I just need music during the ceremony (guest seating, walking down the isle, and a few minutes after the 10-15 minute ceremony). My Uncle Frank is the webmaster at PianoWorld, and suggested I post something here to ask for suggestions. Uncle Frank will be playing my cocktail hour, but classical is not really his "thing." I was hoping you could help with suggestions because all the classical duos I have contacted so far through wedding websites (piano/guitar, guitar/flute, piano/violin, guitar/violin, piano/harp, etc.) are quoting me approx $600 for 1 hour. I don't know if that is a typical rate, but seems high. So if anyone knows of some local classical musicians that could play my ceremony at a reasonable rate (I'm not cheap, but $600/hour seems exorbitant), I could use some help. One idea I had was to cold call some local music teachers and/or high school music teachers to see if they have any “star” students that want to make some $$... but Uncle Frank suggested I try the PianoWorld forums first, so any help would be much appreciated! Thanks for listening! Oops, forgot to mention that the wedding date is Saturday, November 17, 2007.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#938105 - 09/20/07 04:40 PM Re: Classical Musician(s) wanted for @ 1 hour wedding gig, Boston area
pianoexcellence Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Abbotsford, BC, Canada
$600 for a duo sounds about right for a professional act, perhaps even a little low.

Remember that you are not paying them just for the hour that they are there...

I would suggest listening to a whole bunch of demos, choosing what is absolutely perfect, paying whatever it costs, and then expecting nothing less than the best. Everyone will feel better because of it.

As for the star students...I guess it can be done, but usually students do not have an hour of suitable repertoire at the ready. You will likely get an eager student saying YES, and then flaking out at the last minute when they are not feeling prepared. If you do get a student, get one from the best teacher in town, and make sure that they know what they student is in for.

Spending one hundred hours polishing repertoire for one event so that they can make 200 dollars may not be a good use of thier time. A truly magnificent student will be able to do this however, so at least give it a try. Just be aware of the "flake-out" factor with students. All students have about 15-20 minutes of good repertoire, but very few can last 60 minutes with suitable repertoire. (many will be able to play a 60 minute diploma program, but this will not be suitable across the board)

I hope I have helped. As a teacher and a performer, I know what it takes to do what you need (in the classical world) and I only have a couple of students that are up to the task...and neither of them would want to take this on at this point.
Music is the surest path to excellence

Jeremy BA, ARCT, RMT
Pianoexcellence Tuning and Repairs

#938106 - 09/21/07 01:30 AM Re: Classical Musician(s) wanted for @ 1 hour wedding gig, Boston area
Furtwangler Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Danville, California
The San Francisco Conservatory of Music has a program called "Music to Go" which would be perfect for a situation like this - fees are very reasonable. Why not contact the New England Conservatory and see if they have a similar program??

I would think you could find a very talented student to perform for about $200

Give it a try

#938107 - 09/29/07 07:31 PM Re: Classical Musician(s) wanted for @ 1 hour wedding gig, Boston area
193866 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Manassas,Va
Hello and Congratulations. May you and your bride be blessed always. Your Uncle Frank is so appreciated here in our Piano World. This forum is a very important highlight in my day. Info from Furtwangler ... This is really excellent if this works for you. Another thought for you is your local churches, usually this is where some of the best local performers are... and...you might check your local symphony to give you recommendations. This is where I found my best piano teachers through the symphony. They were not advertising just taking students by recommendations from the symphony and referrals etc. Sandy B
Sandra M. Boletchek 08/02/06

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
the Forums & Piano World

Trying Something New with Search
(ad) Yamaha CP4 or CP40 Free Bag
Buy a CP4 or CP40 Get a Free Bag
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ads) PD - WNG - MH
Wessell Nickel & Gross
Ad (the Piano Store)
the Piano Store - Restored Steinway Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
I need to sell my piano . . .
by Mercurygirl
11/30/15 12:56 AM
Questions about a Sojin 1989 RG-5
by Briun
11/29/15 11:50 PM
Another arghhh moment
by Arghhh
11/29/15 10:59 PM
Friederich Gulda's Emperor
by argerichfan
11/29/15 10:41 PM
College Auditions
by colin_pianist18
11/29/15 10:19 PM
What's Hot!!
Posting Pictures on the Forums
Forums Rules & Help
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Forum Stats
81,600 Registered Members
44 Forums
168,674 Topics
2,470,931 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe
Our Piano Related Classified Ads
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission