2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (Barry_Braksick, Adam Reynolds, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Cheeeeee, 8 invisible), 1,587 guests, and 245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#938298 03/22/07 12:08 PM
K
OP Offline
K
I am doing a lot of research into different method books, and was wondering if any of you have ever written your own method?
I have taught out of several different methods over the past years, and - like every teacher - I have found my favorites. There are two methods that I use right now that I like the most and that I have found to be the most effective in my teaching.
However, I am always finding things about methods books that I wish were different. I've looked at tons of different methods and I tend to find more things that I dislike than things that I actually like. Sometimes I think I should solve my own problem and write my own method someday!
I was wondering if any of you had ever done this or if any of you know someone who has done this. How difficult was this? Was the process worth it? How long did it take?
If any of you can answer my questions that would be great!

#938299 03/22/07 01:41 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi,

I feel the same way. I would LOVE to write my own method. I don't have the time to do it and feel I would probably be just doing a lot of what's already been done. I've decided for now to devise my own "system" using materials already out there. I'd prefer to teach from music without a method so I may start students on a method through the beginner levels and move them toward piano lit. and/or any other music they are interested in by using graded material but minus the lesson book. The reason is I don't like to see students putting all their effort into music in lesson books when they could be putting that time into other great music of the same difficulty and I would prefer to teach the concepts from the music without the lesson books. But I feel for the most part, lesson books do a good job presenting basic material, so I decided, why should I re-invent the wheel at least for basics? I think I can pretty well work around a method's weaknesses now after getting to know what the pitfalls are. Here's a thread I started on the subject where you might find some opinions or thoughts: methods - sorry, I can't figure out why this link won't work but the thread is called, "Teaching without method books - using/designing your own system" if you want to do a search - edited, I fixed it.

One thing I would like to do is design my own theory worksheets in a compiled workbook (sort of a "streamlined" approach to theory at least for older students and adults). When I was in college, not for music but for some of my other classes, occasionally a professor would have a handbook or workbook that they personally wrote for the class, had it copied at the copy store with spiral binding and laminated cover and had students go to the copy store to purchase it for the class. That's sort of what I've considered doing for theory. There's some things that take until level 3 in a method to cover on scales and chords, chord inversions, and chord progressions that older students and adults should be able to learn and understand without having to wait that long into lessons to learn.

#938300 03/22/07 06:54 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
sarabande,

There was an extra space in your URL:

Code

[URL=http://www.pianoworld. com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/27/1102.html]methods[/URL] 

vs

[URL=https://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/27/1102.html]methods[/URL] 
Here's the link:

methods

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
#938301 03/22/07 07:10 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
DragonPianoPlayer:

Thanks so much. I went back and fixed it. cool

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission