2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
47 members (Cheeeeee, Dalem01, danno858, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Dfrankjazz, Carey, 7 invisible), 2,073 guests, and 332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
MJinMN Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi all. I apologize if this is the wrong forum, but it was my best guess. I recall reading in the past about some piano accessories/music for kids too young to read music. As I recall, the idea was that there was an insert that you'd put at the back of the keys that had certain shapes & colors corresponding to each key. Then the sheet music simply showed a progression of such shapes & colors, which would allow the kids to play simple tunes without knowing how to read music. I have twins who are 4 that I don't think have the attention span or interest to start reading music yet, but I thought something like this other system might allow them to have some early success and perhaps get them going.

So, I guess my first question is: if this rings a bell with someone can you please post the name and/or where I could find such a thing? Second, since this is the piano teacher's forum, is starting kids out on something like this a good idea?

Thanks in advance for your help.

-Matt

Mason & Hamlin BB
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Hi Matt - never hurts to ask!

I have taught 4 yr olds (very patiently) to read music, but it's not a fast paced event. Is there a reason for starting them so young? The piano is a vicious instrument for such tender and small hands. My general recommendation, except for the exceptionally precocious student, is to wait until 2nd or even 3rd grade. Most especially if the attention span is very short.

That said, there is some quality stuff out there which can be used effectively with the very young.

N. Jane Tan's materials come to mind. Other teachers may have other suggestions. Basically the method is to teach the student to play clusters as well as single notes, but across the keyboard, so that when they are mature enough, and their hands strengthen, they are ready to jump into playing intervals of 3rds, 4ths and 5th.

John

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
I have twins who are 4 that I don't think have the attention span or interest to start reading music yet,
They also are most probably not developmentally ready to read music either.

but I thought something like this other system might allow them to have some early success
Success? At this age, making sounds is success; exploring the keyboard to discover concepts such as high/low is success; feeling the pulse of music and responding to the rhythm is success. Don't be thinking that the only kind of success is to play a tune from some sort of written instruction. In my opinion it would be more musically valuable at their age to play a two-note tune by imitation and by ear, or to make up tunes.

Having said that, I don't know anything about this system you mention, so I can't really comment specifically. It might be well thought out (I don't want to be a party-pooper) - but it also might be such that it causes confusion later on. IMO the best thing anyone can do with a 4-y-o is sing. smile

Du holde Kunst...
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
You have to sconsider what developmental stage they are at at this point. At the age of 4, their imagination is running wild. They love to pretend play, and their sense of humor develops, so they enjoy when something is silly, like "Do we put shoes on our head?"

With this in mind, I think it would possibly be too early for them to start reading. Unless they show an affinity for reading words(and each child may be developmentally different, even though they're twins), I would wait until they are comfortable with regular reading before starting them in music reading. The earliest would be age 5, but even then, only dealing with tas and titis and shhs.

If you want to give them a good musical foundation that is appropriate for their age, look into Kindermusik or other early music programs in your area. They are designed to suit their developmental stages so that when they are mature enough for lessons, they already know a lot of things on instinct. It involves a lot of singing, movement, listening, and at home activities to continue the process while not in class.

Go to www.kindermusik.com to find a certified instructor in your area and to learn more about the program.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission