Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#93902 - 07/02/05 06:14 AM Re: best upright money can buy!
JD Offline

Loc: SF Bay Area
A person asked a while back about the Fandrich & Sons upright. I am a very happy owner of their 50" upright. (Fandrich verticle action in a Klima piano) For those of you who haven't experienced the Fandrich action, it is an amazing evolution in verticle actions. The price is in the low teens and, in my judgment the overall sound and tone holds its own with a number of verticles priced in the high teens and 20's.

However, in talking with Heather Fandrich, she shared some very interesting news. Darrell and Heather have secured a Bohemia distributorship and are going to start putting their actions in the Bohemia verticles. The first model is going to be the 50" since the Bohemia 50" is virtually the the identical piano to the Klima 50".

There are plans to put the Fandrich action in the Bohemia 52" verticle. (a pretty popular verticle on this forum). It is my prediction that when the Fandrichs introduce that piano to the market with the Fandrich action and whatever other improvements Darrell will make it will definitely give us something to talk about.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#93903 - 07/02/05 08:42 AM Re: best upright money can buy!
mdsdurango Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Durango Colorado
What is Frandrich's distribution? Are they sold only from the showroom in Washington state? And what makes the action so different?

#93904 - 07/02/05 09:20 AM Re: best upright money can buy!
piqué Offline
5000 Post Club Member

go to their website: www.fandrich.com and you should find the latest information. they have some quite in-depth writing there on how the action is different.

last i knew, they did not have national distribution. however, they often arrange for prospective customers to play on the pianos owned by others nearby, if possible.

i like the fandrich upright. it is definitely a heavy hitter at its price point. however, i would not say it is the best upright money can buy. that honor would have to go to the german verticals like grotrian and bechstein.

in fact, the very best vertical i have ever played was a bechstein. i've played both vintage rebuilt bechstein uprights, and new ones. i like them much better than bechstein grands (which i don't care for at all).

i have not played a steingraeber, seiler, or boesendorfer upright. i don't care for bluthner or ibach verticals, but this is simply a matter of personal taste, not a quality issue.

the only affordable upright i would have bought was the petrof 131. a very musical instrument. but it needs quite intensive technical preparation to be at its best. at least, this was true a few years ago. it may no longer be true. the market changes a lot in a short time!

when i was shopping for an upright about four and five years ago, the chinese pianos were garbage. i haven't played any chinese verticals recently, but i DID play a ritmuller (by pearl river) grand piano a couple of months ago that had just arrived from china. right out of the box, with no preparation, this piano was the musical equal of any german piano i've played. scary. i couldn't believe what i was experiencing.

even the fandrichs say that the chinese grands they are getting today need far less revamping than they did just a few short months ago. chinese pianos appear to be changing very rapidly. soon the fandrichs may just sell them instead of redesigning them!

now in paperback:

Grand Obsession: A Piano Odyssey

#93905 - 07/02/05 11:36 AM Re: best upright money can buy!
FogVilleLad Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco
pique,

This Californian is fascinated/frightened by the speed with which the Chinese are catching up to everybody else.

Any chance that you could expand on your info re the quality of the Ritmuller? If you could, it would be a great service to the Budgeteers who come to PianoWorld seeking advice re their first grand.

The action, heavy, light, good for repetition?

If for the sake of discussion, Estonias are at the low/dark end of the timbre spectrum and, Yamahas at the high/bright end, where would you place the Ritmuller?

Projection has been a problem for pianos that use softer hardwoods for their rims. Did you form any impression about the Rit's ability to project?

Anything else that Pianoworld should know?

DavidH

#93906 - 07/02/05 06:34 PM Re: best upright money can buy!
David Burton Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Coxsackie, New York
My first comment on this subject has to do with sound and touch preferences. They are going to be as individual as you are. Someone may be awed by the sound of a particular instrument and it may or may not appeal to you. There are certain characteristics by make and variations within that range too. Then there's voicing and regulation, both of which can really change how you perceive a piano's sound, probably even more so with an upright than a grand. The range in price can be quite astounding too.

Steingraeber, C. Bechstein, Grotrian, Mason & Hamlin, Bosendorfer, Bluthner, Forster, Sauter, Seiler, Ibach, Yamaha and Steinway (Stuart & Sons doesn't make an upright). One has been mentioned and opinions asked for; the Fandrich & Sons upright. Frankly, it's my favorite of the lot. It really does play like a grand, it has a nice European sound and it costs less than the premium uprights. Honorable mention, for my experience only, goes to Ibach and Steingraeber. I also liked Sauter, C. Bechstein, Grotrian and Forster. Yamaha U5's are pretty good utility pianos but I like a bit more character or something that's hard to define exactly, and you too will know what I mean when you discover it for yourself.

#93907 - 07/02/05 08:32 PM Re: best upright money can buy!
piqué Offline
5000 Post Club Member

david,
i'm sorry i can't give you better specifics on the ritmuller. i wasn't piano shopping, and so i wasn't really focused on analysing all the aspects you ask about, and so, while i probably could have answered your questions back in april, by now i no longer remember my impressions beyond what i've written.

what i can say is that it struck me as having the tonal complexity of a high quality german grand, and perhaps came close in the touch, though in my opinion, there is nothing better than a grotrian touch. certainly there was a lot of control available, and excellent repetition. that is basic to what i consider to be a worthy action.

according to the dealer, there had been no preparation done to this piano, i was playing it as it came out of the crate. i've heard from some others on this board that they have played some ritmuller grands that were absolutely stunning instruments after a good tech had prepared them. david burton, weren't you one of them?

my suggestion if you are interested is that you find and play one yourself. really, my impressions aren't the ones that matter, anyway. yours are. \:\)

now in paperback:

Grand Obsession: A Piano Odyssey

#93908 - 07/02/05 08:36 PM Re: best upright money can buy!
Bootsy Offline

Loc: Yonkers, NY
I've just done this search last fall. I bought a Grotrian. Also fabulous were Bosendorfer, A. Foerster and Sauter. Close enough for it to be a matter of taste were Mason & Hamlin and Seiler. I'd have considered buying any of these, and I bought a great piano not on impulse but because I truly loved it. I love it even more now, and I'm happy happy happy that it's mine mine mine.

What I didn't play: C. Bechstein, Bluthner and Steingraeber. I would have liked to play these as well, but insofar as I was never going to spend over $20K US, maybe it's just as well that I didn't. I was very fortunate to get the piano I got at the price I did.

Anyway, I just want to say that all of these pianos mentioned above (among those that I played) are fantastic, and yet they are very different from one another. Each is very responsive, but each plays differently, and makes quite a different sound from the others.

Hope that helps (hint: Grotrian),

Bootsy

#93909 - 07/03/05 12:52 AM Re: best upright money can buy!
Alex Hernandez Offline
1000 Post Club Member

My favorite all time upright is the Blthner model B. A Seattle jazz vocalist came in and laid her hands on the piano and stopped cold, looking up with tears in her eyes she whispered "My god, listen to that sound".

We just recieved a Steingraeber that may change my mind after it settles in.

C. Bechstein makes an absolutley steller upright, it is an absolute goliath of a piano.

I really enjoy the M&H model 50 as well as the S&S K52. My favorite American upright was the Baldwin model 6000, a huge rich sound. If it only had the Fandrich action it would be a killer.

I have yet to play a Chinese piano under any stencil that had the tamberal or dynamic range to compete with a good German or American piano. They are making huge strides in a hurry though. I would be interested in what a serious player like Pianocraft's Sean or Keith would have to say about it.

Blüthner USA, LLC

#93910 - 08/01/05 02:07 PM Re: best upright money can buy!
iconoclast Offline

Loc: Ancramdale, NY
Any chance that you could expand on your info re the quality of the Ritmuller?

#93911 - 08/01/05 02:08 PM Re: best upright money can buy!
iconoclast Offline

Loc: Ancramdale, NY
[I've tried out the Ritmuller 7' Grand on a couple of occasions at a local store. I was frankly blown away by the thing the first time I tried it - my previous experiences w/ Chinese pianos being disappointing to say the least. The piano had (according to the dealer) not had any prep since being shipped and had gone out for rental several times. The sound rivaled all but the best 7 footers I've played (Baldwin, Bosendorfer, Steinway, Yamaha, Kawai) and definitely had a European timbre to it. The action was respectable in terms of repetition speed and weight but didn't feel quite as solid as, for instance, a well prepped Steinway nor as smooth as a Bosendorfer (but for 17K$ who's complaining?). I'm not enough of a tech to comment on the quality of manufacture but I believe that there will come a time very soon when the quality of Pearl River's pianos will have caught up to their American and European counterparts before their reputation does. Any person lucky (or astute) enough to buy one of these pianos will have a world class instrument at an obscenely low price.

#93912 - 08/01/05 02:16 PM Re: best upright money can buy!
Ancient Upright Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Axtremus:
Just for fun, try this: Klavins Piano [/b].
[/b]
That was really neat! But, I do prefer one that can be moved. ;\)

I've had my upright for two months and already moved to it around the room once. :rolleyes:

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
132 registered (accordeur, Almaviva, 47 invisible), 1384 Guests and 25 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74236 Members
42 Forums
153566 Topics
2250607 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
song i wrote. people in clubs love it
by jedplays
21 minutes 18 seconds ago
Fazioli "factory tour" video.
by R_B
43 minutes 37 seconds ago
Piano Science
by venice1
Today at 09:59 PM
MP7 vs MP11: only 6 differences?
by Marko in Boston
Today at 09:08 PM
the conclusion on weighted keys and developing technique
by B.Petrovic
Today at 09:02 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission