Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#940066 - 10/25/04 05:49 AM Re: don't mean to sound like i'm full of myself, but....
TimR Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
 Quote:
Originally posted by mound:
it sounds like he's in a position of hiring church players, maybe he's the director of music ministry at his church.. I thought his post was pretty clear. In the "real world" a list of repertoir is as worthless as a RCM "grade level" -if you can play, you'll get the job \:\) [/b]
Precisely. Though I'm not the director of music, I help out where I can. Often that involves hiring supplemental musicians. I don't care about their skill level in general, only as specific to the type playing I need. I also get hired for church and other gigs. Do they like my playing? the only way I can know is if the phone rings again and I have another gig. Similarly, when I hire somebody, I'll never say anything bad about them, to their face or to others. But if they didn't play well, I don't call again, nor recommend them to others.

The example I gave of playing hymns is a very narrow specific requirement. It tells nothing about accomplishment in general. It is simply one example of very quantifiable, operational definitions of skill level. And market forces determine whether you have succeeded or not.

There's at least one flaw in using the "hired again" evaluation process. Sometimes I don't hire a good player because he's a jerk. (sometimes I suspect I've been hired over better players because I'm generally a nice guy) But generally it works. For those who make their living playing, it works too well.

If you never play for hire, maybe this doesn't apply to you. But maybe you should try it. Like being hanged in the morning, it tends to focus the mind. I learned to transpose Bb treble by doing it live in front of a paying drunken crowd - sink or swim. Several decades later it hasn't faded.

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#940067 - 10/26/04 06:53 PM Re: don't mean to sound like i'm full of myself, but....
WCSMinorCircuit Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
i agree.

i'm not the most secure repetoire wise. Mainly because I have a crappy memory (why'd i come down the stairs again...? hmmm). But I can sight read alot of things and at church people like me to accompany them because i don't get nervous and i don't mess up. And just because i can't memorize **** (generally... under great stress i've memorized long pieces before).

But my point is that what you can play doesn't necessarily mean you're a good pianist.

I'm not trying to offend you, ChopinLives, because for being self taught you are hella good (and I like your compositions too... good for a first timer). But I'm saying that there is a line of piano playing that comes only from experience.

I said this one the Pianist Corner, but I'll say it here to. Keep up the good work chopinlives.

#940068 - 11/05/04 05:36 PM Re: don't mean to sound like i'm full of myself, but....
bb_pianist Offline

Loc: Sydney
i like your composition, very very good,
did ya get the girl btw? hehe

#940069 - 11/05/04 06:10 PM Re: don't mean to sound like i'm full of myself, but....
WCSMinorCircuit Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
hmm... it took me a while to remember what "did ya get the girl btw" meant.

haha

#940070 - 11/06/04 10:34 PM Re: don't mean to sound like i'm full of myself, but....
ChopinLives81 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
No i didn't, she was already involved with someone else.

However, i still keep in contact with her and she still secretly asks me to meet with her a few times a year so i can play it for her.
( not exactly a socially smart move for my feeling, but i can't resist such a request).

Check my videos @:
http://www.youtube.com/user/chopinlives81

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
74 registered (AZ_Astro, Brian Lucas, Ben_NZ, Atrys, 19 invisible), 1220 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75588 Members
42 Forums
156298 Topics
2295437 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Tight Key ??
by moy71
07/31/14 01:15 AM
Learning progress
by sunnyday
07/31/14 01:10 AM
How old is a Ahlborn-Galanti Digital Pipe Organ Chronicler
by Chopinlover49
07/30/14 10:55 PM
1906 Steinway K52 purchase for recording studio?
by nlive
07/30/14 10:44 PM
Marc-André Hamelin discusses Rachmaninoff
by vers la flan
07/30/14 09:59 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission