Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#940036 - 10/17/04 12:22 AM don't mean to sound like i'm full of myself, but....
ChopinLives81 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
ok i saw that post about "what grade pianist am I" and i was wondering that too.

I'm self taught been playing for about 6 years now and i started when i was 15. here's a list of the pieces i've completed so far:

1)Moonlight sonata (first movement and half of the third)
2)Pathetique (second movement and part of the first)
3) Fur Elise
4)Bach's Tocatta and Fuge in D minor ( up to about half of the fuge -on piano-)
5)Little Fuge in in G minor
6)Inventions # 1,4,and 7
7)Prelude from English Suite no. 2
8)WTC Prelude no.1 in C
9)Chopin's nocturne's no. 1,2,and op.37 no.1
10)Militaire polonaise, and OP.72 no.3, and part of the heroic
11)Preludes no.4,7,15, and 20
12)mazurka's no.6, and 2 other's i can't remember
13)Revolutionary Etude,half of op.10 no.3, now working on op.10 no.4
14)waltze's no. 1, minute waltze, and the one before that i think op.64 no.1,and the A MINOR posthumous, by ear.
15)and large chunks from Liszt's Campanella,hungarian rhapsody no.2, and 8,Liebestraum no.3,and Rachmaninof's C# minor prelude

There are more of course but i don't want to go crazy with this list (if i haven't already). So as teachers what would you think??Being that i've never had a teacher i don't know how to rate myself seriously.

Check my videos @:
http://www.youtube.com/user/chopinlives81

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#940037 - 10/17/04 12:26 AM Re: don't mean to sound like i'm full of myself, but....
valarking Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Dallas
You are better than a beginner but worse than a professional.

Seriously, though, I don't like these rating type things. You are who you are and noone can truly judge you based on pure reperatoire. That's why I don't go for grade exams...

#940038 - 10/17/04 12:31 AM Re: don't mean to sound like i'm full of myself, but....
ChopinLives81 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

lol, good point.

Check my videos @:

#940039 - 10/17/04 04:17 AM Re: don't mean to sound like i'm full of myself, but....
DW_mod Offline

U can't judge one's level of playing from his or her repertoire list. IE : You may be playing the Revolutionary etude, but really sounding like a struggling grade 5 all the time or vice versa.
U need to get a piano teacher to hear you play or assess you. Why don't you go for an audition or something to know your level of playing?

#940040 - 10/17/04 08:43 AM Re: don't mean to sound like i'm full of myself, but....
victor kam Offline

Loc: Malaysia
I agree, repertoire alone does not pin point the grades. For example, for diploma pieces from Trinity College (London) or Royal School of Music has pieces like Beethoven's last three sonatas which is of course not technically a killer but musically too demanding for that level. And so if someone of that level plays it, it might not have the necessary musical depth compared to a true professional pianist.
Yamaha CS (8ft 3in)#1198650, Steinway hammers on Tokiwa shanks and Isaac Profundo S bass strings.
Yamaha UX 2499771; Casio PX-3 keyboard

#940041 - 10/17/04 08:55 AM Re: don't mean to sound like i'm full of myself, but....
F. Chopin Offline

Loc: England
 Quote:
Originally posted by ChopinLives81:
1)Moonlight sonata (first movement and half of the third)
2)Pathetique (second movement and part of the first)
3) Fur Elise
4)Bach's Tocatta and Fuge in D minor ( up to about half of the fuge -on piano-)
5)Little Fuge in in G minor
6)Inventions # 1,4,and 7
7)Prelude from English Suite no. 2
8)WTC Prelude no.1 in C
9)Chopin's nocturne's no. 1,2,and op.37 no.1
10)Militaire polonaise, and OP.72 no.3, and part of the heroic
11)Preludes no.4,7,15, and 20
12)mazurka's no.6, and 2 other's i can't remember
13)Revolutionary Etude,half of op.10 no.3, now working on op.10 no.4
14)waltze's no. 1, minute waltze, and the one before that i think op.64 no.1,and the A MINOR posthumous, by ear.
15)and large chunks from Liszt's Campanella,hungarian rhapsody no.2, and 8,Liebestraum no.3,and Rachmaninof's C# minor prelude[/b]
In order to "rate you seriously" we would simply have to hear you play.

You could play these pieces utterly dreadfully (no offense :p ) for all we know.

Repetoire wise, a lot of that is average, but some of it is very advanced (Chopin Études etc.).

The bottom line is that unless you can post a recording of your playing, we can't really judge how good you are.

If you could play the Chopin Étude that you say you have completed to a very high standard after six years of self-tuition then that would be absolutely excellent; way above average.

#940042 - 10/17/04 09:39 AM Re: don't mean to sound like i'm full of myself, but....
ChopinLives81 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

i would post a recording but i have no way of hosting it so i can put a link.

Check my videos @:

#940043 - 10/17/04 09:49 AM Re: don't mean to sound like i'm full of myself, but....
margrave of brandenburg Offline

Loc: Hong Kong
dang...you can play La Campanella???
you must have huge hands!
that piece is definitely not for me to play in this lifetime...=( i gotto reincarnate and ask for bigger hands next life to play that!

#940044 - 10/17/04 09:51 AM Re: don't mean to sound like i'm full of myself, but....
F. Chopin Offline

Go here:

http://www.streamload.com/Roots/Upload.asp

Put in the username "uploaded" and upload the files. \:\)

#940045 - 10/17/04 10:05 AM Re: don't mean to sound like i'm full of myself, but....
ChopinLives81 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

ok i'll give it a shot...i'll have to brush up on that op.10 no.12 again being that i haven't played it in a few months, but i'll post as much as i can. i also have 2 compositions i could use some critiques on.

Check my videos @:

#940046 - 10/17/04 10:07 AM Re: don't mean to sound like i'm full of myself, but....
F. Chopin Offline

Don't feel you have to play that study, play whatever you like or play best.

#940047 - 10/17/04 10:29 AM Re: don't mean to sound like i'm full of myself, but....
ChopinLives81 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

ok guys i dug up my old recordings from last year, please excuse the hard execution (i get nervous even recording alone)...lol

here a list of the pieces, most i only recorded large portions, not the whole piece because some i only learned a portion of the entire piece.

1)Romance No.1 (My own composition)
2)Prelude No.1 in B (Another composition)
3)Hungarian Rhapsody No.8
4)Minute Waltz
5)Polonaise in F sharp minor op.44 (don't mind the errors..lol
6)Toccata and Fuge in D minor (my own arrangement for piano)
7)Waltz in C# minor op.64 No.2

Check my videos @:

#940048 - 10/17/04 10:56 AM Re: don't mean to sound like i'm full of myself, but....
ChopinLives81 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

ok F.Chopin, i uploaded them, now what?

Check my videos @:

#940049 - 10/17/04 11:00 AM Re: don't mean to sound like i'm full of myself, but....
ChopinLives81 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by margrave of brandenburg:
dang...you can play La Campanella???
you must have huge hands!
that piece is definitely not for me to play in this lifetime...=( i gotto reincarnate and ask for bigger hands next life to play that! [/b]
-I actually have small hands, i can only stretch a 9th, but i did spend alot of time seperating my fingers with a cup to gain some flexibility, and for a while i would sleep on my hands while they were in difficult positions i.e. having just the 4th finger sticking out..that really helped.

Check my videos @:

#940050 - 10/17/04 11:51 AM Re: don't mean to sound like i'm full of myself, but....
F. Chopin Offline

They're available for download at:

www.streamload.com/uploaded

I'll listen to it in a sec.

#940051 - 10/17/04 11:59 AM Re: don't mean to sound like i'm full of myself, but....
ChopinLives81 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

ok cool

Check my videos @:

#940052 - 10/18/04 03:22 AM Re: don't mean to sound like i'm full of myself, but....
TimR Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
The only true test of how well you played is whether they hire you again. Compliments or criticisms can't be trusted.

But since you ask, here's one test:

Come to my church. If you can sight read the hymns on Sunday, including paying enough attention to start at the right time and adjust to the singing speed, you're a pro. You must be able to play with good sense of "time". Some rubato is tolerated - but rubato must be deviation from time, not absence of time as I hear in many organists and pianists.

If you can prepare the hymns in a week and play them as above, you're a good intermediate.

If neither, I won't be hiring you again.

My rules aren't the only rules for determining how good you are. But they're mine, and I'm paying.

#940053 - 10/18/04 12:00 PM Re: don't mean to sound like i'm full of myself, but....
ChopinLives81 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

TimR what are you talking about "hiring again"?

Check my videos @:

#940054 - 10/19/04 07:17 AM Re: don't mean to sound like i'm full of myself, but....
mound Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Rochester, NY
it sounds like he's in a position of hiring church players, maybe he's the director of music ministry at his church.. I thought his post was pretty clear. In the "real world" a list of repertoir is as worthless as a RCM "grade level" -if you can play, you'll get the job \:\)

#940055 - 10/19/04 08:06 AM Re: don't mean to sound like i'm full of myself, but....
Nina Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
 Quote:
Originally posted by TimR:
Some rubato is tolerated - but rubato must be deviation from time, not absence of time as I hear in many organists and pianists.

[/b]
:D

#940056 - 10/19/04 08:15 AM Re: don't mean to sound like i'm full of myself, but....
Nina Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
ChopinLives81:

Nice playing! Were those first two your own compositions? They were nice.

One thing you might want to consider is bringing out the melody line a bit more... your left hand is often at the same volume as your right, whereas it should be more of a supplement, providing the foundation but not overwhelming your right hand. The melodies in your own compositions are very lovely, and they should be clearly out there at the forefront.

My teacher once said, "They're paying to hear the melody, not the accompaniment!"

You are quite talented to have accomplished this on your own (or heck, even with a teacher).

#940057 - 10/19/04 12:06 PM Re: don't mean to sound like i'm full of myself, but....
ChopinLives81 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
ChopinLives81:

Nice playing! Were those first two your own compositions? They were nice.

One thing you might want to consider is bringing out the melody line a bit more... your left hand is often at the same volume as your right, whereas it should be more of a supplement, providing the foundation but not overwhelming your right hand. The melodies in your own compositions are very lovely, and they should be clearly out there at the forefront.

My teacher once said, "They're paying to hear the melody, not the accompaniment!"

You are quite talented to have accomplished this on your own (or heck, even with a teacher).

[/b]
I know what you mean and i do, but unfortunately the recording are in midi, so i loose alot of the volume differences between the melody and accompaniment...but believe me, when i play the piece i really do play them with alot more feeling than what you could hear in those recordings, but anyways thanks for the replies.

-And yes those first two were my own compositions. The first one "Romance No.1" I composed as a Valentine's Day gift for this girl i liked back in High School..lol

Check my videos @:

#940058 - 10/20/04 07:15 PM Re: don't mean to sound like i'm full of myself, but....
Scarborough Offline

WOW! You play beautifully! And I absolutely love your original compositions!

BTW, what equipment did you use to record those?

#940059 - 10/20/04 09:08 PM Re: don't mean to sound like i'm full of myself, but....
ChopinLives81 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I have a Yamaha Clavinova CLP-950 and i hooked it through a midi cable to my computer, but some were recorded through a microphone. I also have a SoundBlaster Audigy 2ZS soundcard (best soundcard on the market ;\)

-btw thanks for the opinion

Check my videos @:

#940060 - 10/21/04 03:16 AM Re: don't mean to sound like i'm full of myself, but....
Scarborough Offline

Okay, I have another question. When you started learning, which method books (if any) did you use?

Let me know if my questions get annoying, LOL!

#940061 - 10/21/04 03:20 AM Re: don't mean to sound like i'm full of myself, but....
ChopinLives81 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

non..i just picked up pieces that i liked and worked on them little by little....lol

Check my videos @:

#940062 - 10/21/04 05:44 AM Re: don't mean to sound like i'm full of myself, but....
Hububer Offline

Loc: Virginia
Are the pieces still uploaded?

#940063 - 10/23/04 10:44 AM Re: don't mean to sound like i'm full of myself, but....
ChopinLives81 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

no they got wiped off i don't know why...can someone send me a link to where i can upload the pieces again

Check my videos @:

#940064 - 10/24/04 06:37 AM Re: don't mean to sound like i'm full of myself, but....
markjpcs Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
I downloaded one called Casals - Prelude.ogg

Is that yours?

It is very nice!

#940065 - 10/24/04 10:07 AM Re: don't mean to sound like i'm full of myself, but....
ChopinLives81 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

no it isn't Mark...i recently re-uploaded just me two compositions here:

www.streamload.com/chopinlives81

let me know what you think.

Check my videos @:

#940066 - 10/25/04 05:49 AM Re: don't mean to sound like i'm full of myself, but....
TimR Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
 Quote:
Originally posted by mound:
it sounds like he's in a position of hiring church players, maybe he's the director of music ministry at his church.. I thought his post was pretty clear. In the "real world" a list of repertoir is as worthless as a RCM "grade level" -if you can play, you'll get the job \:\) [/b]
Precisely. Though I'm not the director of music, I help out where I can. Often that involves hiring supplemental musicians. I don't care about their skill level in general, only as specific to the type playing I need. I also get hired for church and other gigs. Do they like my playing? the only way I can know is if the phone rings again and I have another gig. Similarly, when I hire somebody, I'll never say anything bad about them, to their face or to others. But if they didn't play well, I don't call again, nor recommend them to others.

The example I gave of playing hymns is a very narrow specific requirement. It tells nothing about accomplishment in general. It is simply one example of very quantifiable, operational definitions of skill level. And market forces determine whether you have succeeded or not.

There's at least one flaw in using the "hired again" evaluation process. Sometimes I don't hire a good player because he's a jerk. (sometimes I suspect I've been hired over better players because I'm generally a nice guy) But generally it works. For those who make their living playing, it works too well.

If you never play for hire, maybe this doesn't apply to you. But maybe you should try it. Like being hanged in the morning, it tends to focus the mind. I learned to transpose Bb treble by doing it live in front of a paying drunken crowd - sink or swim. Several decades later it hasn't faded.

#940067 - 10/26/04 06:53 PM Re: don't mean to sound like i'm full of myself, but....
WCSMinorCircuit Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
i agree.

i'm not the most secure repetoire wise. Mainly because I have a crappy memory (why'd i come down the stairs again...? hmmm). But I can sight read alot of things and at church people like me to accompany them because i don't get nervous and i don't mess up. And just because i can't memorize **** (generally... under great stress i've memorized long pieces before).

But my point is that what you can play doesn't necessarily mean you're a good pianist.

I'm not trying to offend you, ChopinLives, because for being self taught you are hella good (and I like your compositions too... good for a first timer). But I'm saying that there is a line of piano playing that comes only from experience.

I said this one the Pianist Corner, but I'll say it here to. Keep up the good work chopinlives.

#940068 - 11/05/04 05:36 PM Re: don't mean to sound like i'm full of myself, but....
bb_pianist Offline

Loc: Sydney
i like your composition, very very good,
did ya get the girl btw? hehe

#940069 - 11/05/04 06:10 PM Re: don't mean to sound like i'm full of myself, but....
WCSMinorCircuit Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
hmm... it took me a while to remember what "did ya get the girl btw" meant.

haha

#940070 - 11/06/04 10:34 PM Re: don't mean to sound like i'm full of myself, but....
ChopinLives81 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

No i didn't, she was already involved with someone else.

However, i still keep in contact with her and she still secretly asks me to meet with her a few times a year so i can play it for her.
( not exactly a socially smart move for my feeling, but i can't resist such a request).

Check my videos @:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
93 registered (Allard, beet31425, AZ_Astro, Alux, AZNpiano, 19 invisible), 987 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75968 Members
42 Forums
157103 Topics
2307259 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Tuning the 7th octave
by AaronM
Today at 01:29 AM
Some Swan Lake
by harpon
Today at 12:53 AM
What makes a piano sound honky-tonk?
by harpon
Today at 12:31 AM
Casio Px 110 vs 150 for Pianoteq + action
by Dwscamel
Today at 12:10 AM
How much to Move a piano from Tucson, AZ, to New York?
by Paul678
Yesterday at 10:43 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission